Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So I'm watching Talons for the first time because of the above

I knew its reputation

Holy poo poo I was not prepared for how *OVERWHELMINGLY RACIST* it is

This is magically hateful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Burkion posted:

So I'm watching Talons for the first time because of the above

I knew its reputation

Holy poo poo I was not prepared for how *OVERWHELMINGLY RACIST* it is

This is magically hateful

I always remember how enjoyable the actual story is but my mind kind of downplays the racism as "unfortunate" but not THAT bad. Then I watch it again and the racism is just at,"Holy gently caress! :stare:" levels.

Then a few months pass and I once again start remembering only the really good parts of the story and not quite recalling just how high the level of racism is. The bit that does always stand out for me though is when (late in the story) Chang feels abandoned and so just heads off to smoke some opium.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Chang feels abandoned and so just heads off to smoke some opium.

*Tom Baker voice* Well sure, but who hasn't?

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/cardiffs-doctor-who-experience-close-12138399

quote:

Yes, you read that right. BBC Worldwide have confirmed that "the Doctor Who Experience has enjoyed a fantastic five-year run in Cardiff Bay but, sadly, our five-year sub-lease from the City of Cardiff Council will come to an end in Summer 2017."
:(

quote:

BBC Worldwide said:"As to opening somewhere else, we are not sure yet"

:ohdear:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

After The War posted:

So... halfway through Heroes of Sontar, and it's basically a Danger Mouse episode, isn't it? I just keep waiting for this music cue to show up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrfZ8ZIVNuI&t=362s

Heroes of Sontar is a great, silly story. In fact that run of Five/Nyssa/Tegan/Turlough is generally good fun.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

City of Cardiff Council, eh? Do they have a new mayor who doesn't like getting her photo taken? :tinfoil:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Listened to the first story on the War Doctor 3 boxset, and it's really good. The minutest thing bothered though, and it sounds so stupid. Big Finish's TARDIS noise has some extra... 'greebles' around it when it's landing/taking off (you'll know what I mean if you've ever paid attention), but the War Doctor 2 set did away with them, giving us what was essentially the TV TARDIS sound, which sounds far better to my ear. They've brought them back again, and it irks me. v:shobon:v

Also, the bassline of the Who theme had me imagining Missy stopping mid-conversation and saying to the Doctor "you know I can still hear those bloody drums?"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Listened to the first story on the War Doctor 3 boxset, and it's really good. The minutest thing bothered though, and it sounds so stupid. Big Finish's TARDIS noise has some extra... 'greebles' around it when it's landing/taking off (you'll know what I mean if you've ever paid attention), but the War Doctor 2 set did away with them, giving us what was essentially the TV TARDIS sound, which sounds far better to my ear. They've brought them back again, and it irks me. v:shobon:v

Also, the bassline of the Who theme had me imagining Missy stopping mid-conversation and saying to the Doctor "you know I can still hear those bloody drums?"

I imagine her dancing and tapping out the beat with her umbrella before complaining "You ever have a tune in your head that just won't leave?"

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

When I grow up I want to stab someone with a spaceship

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

CommonShore posted:

same

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

IDGI. Does Cardiff just hate tourism revenue or something? :confused:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Astroman posted:

It's not unthinkable that the property could be re-purposed into more studio space. Also, given that Doctor Who merchandising seems to have been experiencing a steady drop, it's also possible that both parties decided that enough was enough.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Fil5000 posted:

Heroes of Sontar is a great, silly story. In fact that run of Five/Nyssa/Tegan/Turlough is generally good fun.

My only quibble (aside from the lack of Danger Mouse music) is that the Witch Guard (:black101:) voice was completely unintelligible at the end. And I usually have no problem with BF voice modulaction.

Still, :orks101:WITCH GUARD :orks:

:rock:

CommonShore posted:

State of Decay is also awesome.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Astroman posted:

It's just the place with the sci-fi leylines to charge your time machine, and now the Daleks have gotten possession of it.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
The second story of the new War Doctor set is what I've always wanted - the Sontarans telling the Time Lords and Daleks to let them into the Time War. Or else.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CobiWann posted:

The second story of the new War Doctor set is what I've always wanted - the Sontarans telling the Time Lords and Daleks to let them into the Time War. Or else.

We already had that serial, though! The Sontarans put up a good fight, but there were some pool chairs that got in their way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Invasion_of_Time

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

Ahahaha oh God I gotta get this, I cannot wait to hear that.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

Ahahaha oh God I gotta get this, I cannot wait to hear that.

The War Doctor sets have been great. John Hurt does "world weary" so drat well.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

After The War posted:

I'm almost finished 4! I've watched about 5 stories this past week. Loving the prog rock electric guitar series 18 theme.

e. also the cliffhanger ending from the end of "The Leisure Hive" 1 would make an awesome looping av.

spoiler?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxay8YsC7_Q&t=165s

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Nov 8, 2016

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Astroman posted:

You expect demand to last forever? It's not Les Mis

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Well, you know, the Ianto shrine is still there by Cardiff Bay.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Welp America. Here come the drums.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jesus loving christ

The Doctor will save us the Doctor will save us the Doctor will save us...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Edit: Actually there's probably more than enough politics chat in every other thread on the forums right now.

Unit: Silenced is out this month, I hope they pull that off. The first audio was really good, second not so great.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CobiWann posted:

The Master at least had coherent policy plans.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gaz-L posted:

The Master at least had coherent policy plans.

To be fair they weren't that different than Trump's

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Burkion posted:

To be fair they weren't that different than Trump's

Maybe we'll have it easy and be part of the 10% killed by Toclafane

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CobiWann posted:

We're clearly living in one of those broken timelines the Daleks created in RTD's first season.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

For every problem I have with that episode, I will forever love it for the Master using the word "decimate" properly :swoon:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The Toclafane would be jazzier if they were gold, to be fair.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jerusalem posted:

For every problem I have with that episode, I will forever love it for the Master using the word "decimate" properly :swoon:

Quite possibly the most intelligent bit of dialogue Davies ever wrote.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Big Finish should make their weekend sale First Doctor themed to commemorate America trying to take themselves back to before the Civil Rights Act :suicide:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Any DWSS Santee I get this year is going to get a bottle of Xanax and a bottle of bourbon to go along with whatever Doctor Who thing I include.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Well I'm in.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The next Early Adventure came out today. Yay.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Tried to buy Power of the Daleks in the BBC Store via VPN but it still wouldn't let me because of my billing address. Why can't they be more like the Mexican Origin store? :argh:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

CommonShore posted:

After The War posted:

Much like Twelve Monkeys, I enjoy State of Decay more every time I watch it. The texture is just so wonderful

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
State of Decay is awesome.

Except for Adric.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Rhyno posted:

State of Decay is awesome.

Except for Adric.

What's wrong with Adric? He's basically Wesley Cru....

oh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Much like Twelve Monkeys, I enjoy State of Decay more every time I watch it. The texture is just so wonderful

Goddamn do I love Twelve Monkeys for much the same reason. Also State of Decay!

• Locked thread