Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I'd be surprised if Quarians aren't in Andromeda.

Edit:

Great way to start a new page...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
This game should have full-on metroidvania elements where you need the varia suit to go to the lava planet or the double jump to reach high-up cave entrances.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Zore posted:

I'm guess ship 4 is Turians, or something off the wall like Hanar, and then there are Krogan hangers on because having an ark ship of Krogan would make zero loving sense.

It also gives them an easy way not to have to model Geth, Quarians, Hanar, Elcor, Volus etc.
One of the trailers had obviously Turian legs in it. But Talimancers will flip their loving poo poo so my guess is a Team Dextro ship since they could share food.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Yeah, a point that can be a huge what the gently caress is that all conflict resolution done previously is pretty much irrelevant for Andromeda, but the player perspective will probably be completely different from the characters.

But then again, since it is a reboot (even if they say it isn't), hopefully they can manage a whole new bunch of interesting takes on how the races get along.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
If we brought Quarians and left the Turians and Krogans I am going to be legit mad :colbert:

e: I can see why the Krogans would be left, but still :colbert:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Remember how you spent 5 years in a trilogy trying to get multiple races to get over their poo poo and work together?

Well prepare to do that all over again in Mass Affect: Andr

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

Honestly, I don't think we'll see much of the krogan or the quarians. Both are probably too hampered by their circumstances to field a significant number on this mission.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

the good fax machine posted:

If we brought Quarians and left the Turians and Krogans I am going to be legit mad :colbert:

We know there are some Krogan, the preview explicitly mentions them.

Its just probably going to be a few adventurer Krogan dudes who tagged along as Mercenaries or for the experience. Similarly Quarians would make 0 loving sense since their population is tiny as poo poo and most of them are part of the Flotila.

Turians are also the only race that makes sense according to the *~lore~*, and considering the other 3 Arks are explicitly the other 3 council races, but who knows :shrug:

I'd like to see some more Salarians in the spotlight regardless, they really got shafted in the original trilogy overall.

Zore fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 8, 2016

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.
The trailer showed a few Salarians in crowd shots, at least.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I'm pretty sure the video said they brought in every species on the nexus or whatever and then you have the four ark ships, each one from one race (which obviously seems to be Turians, Asari, Salarians, Humans), so there really shouldn't be much grounds to worry that Krogan, Quarians or whatever won't show up in the game.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
But if it's a year before the reaper war there likely aren't any Geth.

Unless they infiltrated.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
My hot take is this game is gonna own like crazy and the MP will keep me busy for months again.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kurieg posted:

But if it's a year before the reaper war there likely aren't any Geth.

Unless they infiltrated.

A year before the massive reaper invasion, not a year before the first game.

Also the geth were around before that, but nobody had made contact with them in a long time as they remained on the outer edge of the galaxy, IIRC.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

A year before the massive reaper invasion, not a year before the first game.

Also the geth were around before that, but nobody had made contact with them in a long time as they remained on the outer edge of the galaxy, IIRC.

Yes, the Geth had stayed at the Quarian homeworld and their Dyson Sphere, until they made contact with Reapers. Then they started moving in and attacking.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Hey if you want to see a better picture of the Kett

http://bsn.boards.net/thread/2082/game-informer-details?page=6

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

https://twitter.com/thegameawards/status/795694962327175168

The Dorito Pope has some serious stroke to get things like this. I guess I'm actually going to have to watch this stupid thing again.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

SgtSteel91 posted:

Hey if you want to see a better picture of the Kett

http://bsn.boards.net/thread/2082/game-informer-details?page=6

They look a lot like Protheans. Maybe descendants who escaped to Andromeda?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
it's a race of geodudes?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Zore posted:

I'm guess ship 4 is Turians, or something off the wall like Hanar, and then there are Krogan hangers on because having an ark ship of Krogan would make zero loving sense.

It also gives them an easy way not to have to model Geth, Quarians, Hanar, Elcor, Volus etc.

Can you really imagine Bioware having the balls/brazen stupidity to not include some of their more interesting and unique species?

"Hey guys, it's Mass Effect but not including half the poo poo you like!"

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Milky Moor posted:

Can you really imagine Bioware having the balls/brazen stupidity to not include some of their more interesting and unique species?

Coming soon: DLC for random quarians standing around in random base areas.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
The first page of the GI article specifically lists Turians as one of the four races.

quote:

It involves constructing four "arks," massive ships meant to support thousands of lives. Each one carries members of a different race - humans, turians, asari, salarians - on a centuries-long, one-way voyage to the Andromeda galaxy.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Krogans are boring, I hope they're not in and BioWare instead made another race to be What If Orcs, But Too Much.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

precision posted:

Krogans are boring, I hope they're not in and BioWare instead made another race to be What If Orcs, But Too Much.

They're in so... probably not.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The first page of the GI article specifically lists Turians as one of the four races.

Might be interesting to see how the difference in racial lifespans affects the ark races differently. Salarians only live like 45-50 years, right, compared to the thousands of years for Asari?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Might be interesting to see how the difference in racial lifespans affects the ark races differently. Salarians only live like 45-50 years, right, compared to the thousands of years for Asari?

They were in hypersleep so no generational stuff unless like the Asari/Krogan all stayed awake during the voyage.

They'll probably gloss over it though since they never really deal with the fact the Asari/Krogan live like fifty times longer than everyone else since they live thousands of years while everyone else operates on human/slightly less than human lifespan.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

microtransactions have me concerned

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

AriadneThread posted:

microtransactions have me concerned

It'll probably be the same idea as the ME3 equipment packs and no one aside from the impatient will pay actual money.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Der Luftwaffle posted:

It'll probably be the same idea as the ME3 equipment packs and no one aside from the impatient will pay actual money.

i'd be okay with that, but i also feel it's been slowly slipping it's way into other parts of games in the years since me3.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Zore posted:

They were in hypersleep so no generational stuff unless like the Asari/Krogan all stayed awake during the voyage.

They'll probably gloss over it though since they never really deal with the fact the Asari/Krogan live like fifty times longer than everyone else since they live thousands of years while everyone else operates on human/slightly less than human lifespan.

Aw. I thought that might be a neat story hook. :smith:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
here's my hot take: the Geth will be in this

they'll be in it because you'll show up to some random planet and there'll be geth and they'll be like "Ryder-Pathfinder we decided to go here 10 years before you did. Also we're friendly now."

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Milky Moor posted:

Hello, and yes.

The lead writer for this game is the same person that wrote Halo 4. Several key writers that worked on goon favorite parts of ME2 and ME3 quit the company while he was lead, and mentioned it was due to creative differences with him. He also left midway through writing the story, which is never good for story based games because well, jumping writers/plotlines isn't like jumping technical or gameplay directors.

The initial rough drafts of this game were of you being an almost Columbus figure invading the lands of a new species because the Citadel Races wanted more lands. They are presented as sentient/sapient, but just technologically inferior, so it's fair to steal their lands. At one point they were also redskinned, though that seems to have changed thankfully. On the bright side, this seems to have changed to "whoops this galaxy was inhabited! can't go back though!" which.....isn't overtly racist at least?

There has been massive, massive turnover at Bioware since ME2. Almost everyone that has worked on ME2 is gone. Most of the people that worked on ME3 are gone. This game has likely seen multiple revisions as word on the street is it's had a very, very rough time in the oven. This is also not counting the massive turnover on major development staff/project leads this game has seen in that time, which likely isn't good for the project. At one point they lost so many people they had to introduce the DA:I team into the fold to finish the game ( and it sounds like the DA:I guys basically said "Let's make space DA:I, you build forts on every planet and get quests from planet zones." which also might not bode well for the story. ).

This isn't to say this game can't be great ( I'm expecting it to be great gameplaywise, and further flesh out the stronghold/keeps system of DA:I in some neat ways, which'll make it worth the price off that alone. ). But yes, I could 100% see the man who took the Halo lore and said "HUMANS ARE ACTUALLY A GOD SPECIES THAT OWNED ALL OF THE GALAXY IN THE OLD TIMES, AND FOUGHT THE ANCIENT SPECIES AND FORCED THEM TO CREATE THE FLOOD TO STOP THEM." completely not giving a poo poo about the rest of the lore/setting might in fact not give a poo poo about previously established Mass Effect lore. I could see a game that was forced to be rewritten/remade multiple times perhaps having to cut out a lot of extraneous stuff like extra races. I could see a team that had no real connection to ME2/ME3, largely being built from the ground up to make this game because EA knows the property still makes money might not having the same reverence the old team/fans do.

This has also been pushed back from Q1 2016 to Q4 2016 ( with literally no info for either outside of the N7 video last year which was supposed to lead up to the March 2016 release. ), and then finally to Q1 2017. A full years jump from it's initial planned release is uh.

I ain't saying don't get excited here people. I'm excited because I liked 100%ing DA:I even though I didn't like much else, and this'll probably at least scratch that itch. I'm saying maybe temper your expectations a bit, and let the more foolhardy goons preorder this poo poo and fully beat it/give confirmation they pulled it off before jumping fully on the train.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Is Liam gonna be the next gen Carth?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

the halo 4 writer touched this game? welp

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Rookersh posted:

Hello, and yes.

The lead writer for this game is the same person that wrote Halo 4. Several key writers that worked on goon favorite parts of ME2 and ME3 quit the company while he was lead, and mentioned it was due to creative differences with him. He also left midway through writing the story, which is never good for story based games because well, jumping writers/plotlines isn't like jumping technical or gameplay directors.

The initial rough drafts of this game were of you being an almost Columbus figure invading the lands of a new species because the Citadel Races wanted more lands. They are presented as sentient/sapient, but just technologically inferior, so it's fair to steal their lands. At one point they were also redskinned, though that seems to have changed thankfully. On the bright side, this seems to have changed to "whoops this galaxy was inhabited! can't go back though!" which.....isn't overtly racist at least?

There has been massive, massive turnover at Bioware since ME2. Almost everyone that has worked on ME2 is gone. Most of the people that worked on ME3 are gone. This game has likely seen multiple revisions as word on the street is it's had a very, very rough time in the oven. This is also not counting the massive turnover on major development staff/project leads this game has seen in that time, which likely isn't good for the project. At one point they lost so many people they had to introduce the DA:I team into the fold to finish the game ( and it sounds like the DA:I guys basically said "Let's make space DA:I, you build forts on every planet and get quests from planet zones." which also might not bode well for the story. ).

This isn't to say this game can't be great ( I'm expecting it to be great gameplaywise, and further flesh out the stronghold/keeps system of DA:I in some neat ways, which'll make it worth the price off that alone. ). But yes, I could 100% see the man who took the Halo lore and said "HUMANS ARE ACTUALLY A GOD SPECIES THAT OWNED ALL OF THE GALAXY IN THE OLD TIMES, AND FOUGHT THE ANCIENT SPECIES AND FORCED THEM TO CREATE THE FLOOD TO STOP THEM." completely not giving a poo poo about the rest of the lore/setting might in fact not give a poo poo about previously established Mass Effect lore. I could see a game that was forced to be rewritten/remade multiple times perhaps having to cut out a lot of extraneous stuff like extra races. I could see a team that had no real connection to ME2/ME3, largely being built from the ground up to make this game because EA knows the property still makes money might not having the same reverence the old team/fans do.

This has also been pushed back from Q1 2016 to Q4 2016 ( with literally no info for either outside of the N7 video last year which was supposed to lead up to the March 2016 release. ), and then finally to Q1 2017. A full years jump from it's initial planned release is uh.

I ain't saying don't get excited here people. I'm excited because I liked 100%ing DA:I even though I didn't like much else, and this'll probably at least scratch that itch. I'm saying maybe temper your expectations a bit, and let the more foolhardy goons preorder this poo poo and fully beat it/give confirmation they pulled it off before jumping fully on the train.

Good Lord, this is really bad news. I liked how Halo 4 resolved the Chief and Cortana story (until Halo 5 ruined it) but the Forerunner stuff was complete dogshit that I found so terrible I actually completely forgot it was in the game. If that's really the case, this does not bode well for ME:A.

I was already on the 'wait' train for Andromeda and this has definitely solidified it.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

although if i'm honest with myself if the mass effect: relationship simulator parts are decent, i'd probably be okay with the game even as the setting burns down around me

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

precision posted:

Krogans own and the stupidest thing they did in ME1 was give you an option to kill Wrex because it prevented them from working the actual best character in the series into the main plot more.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I still don't understand why everyone would band together for a six-hundred year colonization mission. It seems like a stupid waste of time and money, especially given that the Council didn't give a gently caress about the Reapers.

You'd think they could use the technology from the Andromeda ships to explore and colonise the systems not covered by relays in their own galaxy.

There's no way they weren't originally supposed to launch as a last-ditch doomsday plan. Nothing else makes sense.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Don't go too far that way because it only ends in lots of speculation for everyone!!!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Eej posted:

Krogans own and the stupidest thing they did in ME1 was give you an option to kill Wrex because it prevented them from working the actual best character in the series into the main plot more.

Eh, individual Krogans in the games have been great, but the overall idea of the race is kind of boring. That's why I'm hoping there's just a few Krogans that stowed away or whatever, rather than having them be a big presence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Eej posted:

Even on my most renegade playthroughs I never double crossed my Brograns.

Dr. Abysmal posted:

You're going to be able to have sex with a character named "Peebee" in this video game.

:shepface: