Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Crossposted elsewhere, but last night I threw a big ol' dinner party for my friends with one of the most complex menus I've ever devised. The main course has two vizzled components: chicken and a poached egg. Overall it was super tasty and fun and tiring but in a good way. :)

Food theme was an autumnal menu.

1. Amuse Bouche Course: Sunchoke Chowder. Spicy seasonal puree of sunchokes, with roasted sunchokes and fresh chopped parsley on top. Served alongside an allspice liqueur aperitif.

2. Appetizer Course 1: Trio of vegetables! Sous vide butter-glazed carrots. Very sweet and super carrotey since the sous vide technique really locks in the flavor. Sauteed marbled potatoes seasoned with rosemary oil. Blanched and sauteed asparagus tips with a sauce of tangy lemon-pepper butter.

3. Appetizer Course 2: Duet of mushroom canapes. One on the left is mushrooms glazed in a balsamic vinegar and red wine reduction, on toast smeared with brown butter and topped with fresh tarragon (or as my French coworker once insisted, estragon). The one on the right is mushroom marsala ragout on toast drizzled with rosemary oil and topped with fresh chopped parsley.

4. Palate Cleanser: Strawberry Cordial Sorbet in China Spoons. A sorbet of pureed strawberries and special crisp herbs to give it a refreshing finish on the palate. Really washes away the richness of the canapes and prepares you for the really rich main to come.

5. Main Course: Poulet Nuptiale! The star of the dinner tonight and is an original dish of my own creation. Poulet Nuptiale (Wedding Chicken) is a play on the traditional French dish Poulet Demi-Dueil (Chicken in Half-Mourning), which is a roasted chicken stuffed with black truffle slices under the skin so that when baked, the chicken is black and looks like it's on its way to a funeral. Poulet Nuptiale on the other hand is a deboned chicken leg marinaded in white truffle oil and spices, stuffed with a mushroom duxelle and parmesan cheese, and cooked sous vide for 5 hours. The cheese within becomes a melty, delicious sauce on its own. The chicken becomes tender as all gently caress.

The chicken is then sliced into medallions and served on a bed of white corn truffled polenta, drizzled with a sauce made from the bag juices, and garnished with a parmesan crisp. Alongside it are a sous vide poached egg and a salad garnished with a basic apple cider vinaigrette. The salad is garnished with cooked red and yellow beets and pickled red onion.

Images of the plating follows:

6. Second Palate Cleanser: Trio of seasonal sorbets. I really wanted to go with autumn colors but things didn't turn out that way. Cranberry sauce sorbet, mulled apple cider sorbet, and black mission fig and port sorbet garnished with pomegranate seeds.

7. Dessert Plate: Trio of Desserts. Pumpkin pancakes with spice butter and real maple syrup. Mulled apple cider jelly. Beetroot ice cream (lactose free since it's made with coconut cream). Nice and earthy way to end a meal.

ShadowCatboy fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
:stare:

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
That looks amazing, now I am hungry again...

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Wow, that looks fantastic!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Bape Culture posted:

Someone post the video of it being done perfect. I think it was Ramsay.

just follow serious eats for sous vide stuff imo especially steak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB1x0O-bhrw

or if you've a deep fryer and access to liquid nitrogen and aren't a gently caress up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_tgxzXmpKQ

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
Noob questions:

I just ordered the Anova w/ Bluetooth. Is that goon recommended? I read reviews online and it seems to be the most recommended but some people say poor reliability.

Can you sous vide from frozen to done? Or do you want to wait for the meat/fish to get to room temperature before sous vide?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

5436 posted:

Noob questions:

I just ordered the Anova w/ Bluetooth. Is that goon recommended? I read reviews online and it seems to be the most recommended but some people say poor reliability.

Can you sous vide from frozen to done? Or do you want to wait for the meat/fish to get to room temperature before sous vide?

I think folks like the wifi better than the bluetooth one, but you don't actually need any of that, so you'll be happy with it.

You can go from frozen. With most meats I think the general rec is add an hour. Not sure about fish though.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You should likely thaw the fish first. Brine and thaw to save some time with salmon.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

You should likely thaw the fish first. Brine and thaw to save some time with salmon.

Brining salmon gives better flavor?

I've brined chops and chicken and prefer them pooled without.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Norns posted:

Brining salmon gives better flavor?

I've brined chops and chicken and prefer them pooled without.

salmon will specifically look terrible if you don't due to some protein magic.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
I see people made their own tubs, does this keep the temperature more constant?

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Metal pots vent the heat if that is what you're asking. Your circulator won't have to work as hard and csn reach temp faster.

For my longer cooks , I cut the corner off the top of a cheap 20L cooler.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

TheReverend posted:

Metal pots vent the heat if that is what you're asking. Your circulator won't have to work as hard and csn reach temp faster.

For my longer cooks , I cut the corner off the top of a cheap 20L cooler.

Anything people generally recommend off amazon? Most of my cooking will be for 2. Maybe some small roasts.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I think folks like the wifi better than the bluetooth one, but you don't actually need any of that, so you'll be happy with it.

I believe they also increased the wattage of the WiFi unit back to 1000W like the Anova One had, so you technically get the best of both worlds regardless of how you want your useless app to talk to the unit.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

You can go from frozen. With most meats I think the general rec is add an hour. Not sure about fish though.

For what its worth I've only added a half hour to frozen cooks and its been fine :shrug: only done it with stuff like BSCBs and hamburger patties though

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

5436 posted:

Anything people generally recommend off amazon? Most of my cooking will be for 2. Maybe some small roasts.

Just type in 'Cambro' and find something decently rated and about the size you think you want. 3 gallons maybe?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Coolers >>>>>>> Cambro, at least for energy efficiency.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
Has anyone finished Kenji's sous vide turchetta in the oven? I'm thinking of doing that for thanksgiving since cooking a whole bird can be a pain in the butt but I am a huge baby who is afraid of deep frying a big piece of wet turkey.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Horn posted:

Has anyone finished Kenji's sous vide turchetta in the oven? I'm thinking of doing that for thanksgiving since cooking a whole bird can be a pain in the butt but I am a huge baby who is afraid of deep frying a big piece of wet turkey.

You could dry it in the oven a bit first maybe?

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Subjunctive posted:

You could dry it in the oven a bit first maybe?

I'd pat it down and keep it in the fridge overnight on a wire rack (or better yet, hang it) so the air can circulate over and under it. Fridge air is naturally quite dry. For best results turn it over once since the moisture of the meat tends to pool towards the bottom.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

ShadowCatboy posted:

I'd pat it down and keep it in the fridge overnight on a wire rack (or better yet, hang it) so the air can circulate over and under it. Fridge air is naturally quite dry. For best results turn it over once since the moisture of the meat tends to pool towards the bottom.

Also, if you can spare it, transglutamase will help keep the skin re-attached.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

5436 posted:

This is what I use in green https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-18-Quart-Party-Stacker-Cooler/dp/B002BM712U

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
I noticed a lot of the recipes don't salt the meats before sous vide'ing. Is it common to salt after its cooked?

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

5436 posted:

I noticed a lot of the recipes don't salt the meats before sous vide'ing. Is it common to salt after its cooked?

I always salt beforehand. Take the weight of the meat in grams, divide by 100, and add that much salt. A generous amount of pepper wouldn't hurt either. Let rest for an hour or so for the brine that results to be reabsorbed back into the meat. It'll seem like a lot but unless you're a cardiac patient it's the perfect amount to me. Slightly on the low end, even.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

5436 posted:

Salting beforehand is okay if it's a short cook but if you're doing one of those 8 hour or three day cooks, the salt tends to give the meat a cured texture.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Salting beforehand is okay if it's a short cook but if you're doing one of those 8 hour or three day cooks, the salt tends to give the meat a cured texture.

How long you keep it around (even after the cook) seems to make a difference too. I did five pork chops pre-seasoned on a Sunday and chilled them with the idea that I'd have handy pre-cooked individual sealed lunches to re-heat at work. The first ones were great (no char of course, but well-cooked) but towards the end of the week they definitely started tasting like ham. Perfectly edible, just noticeably different.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

ShadowCatboy posted:

I always salt beforehand. Take the weight of the meat in grams, divide by 100, and add that much salt. A generous amount of pepper wouldn't hurt either. Let rest for an hour or so for the brine that results to be reabsorbed back into the meat. It'll seem like a lot but unless you're a cardiac patient it's the perfect amount to me. Slightly on the low end, even.

I love salt!!!! I plan on making a beef tenderloin roast and really like a nice salt crust. I was watching the chef steps video and they just salted it at the end with rock salt. I figure it wouldn't absorb much of that flavor.

Steve Yun posted:

Thats what I Intuitively thought.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It's not the end of the world, the meat just gets firmer when you generally want it to be more tender. On the scale of things that could go wrong when cooking meat, it's somewhere between "whatever" and "oops, oh well"

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
I got a big ol' hunk of boneless short ribs from Costco and I was thinking about either 158F for 24 hours or 144F for 72 hours. Modernist Cuisine warns of death and/or gynecomastia if I use a Ziploc bag for longer cook times. Is this a legit concern or will I be fine with the same freezer bags I've used when cooking for 8-12 hours in the past? Worst case, I guess I could just make corned beef again.

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.
You'll be fine, but for 72 hours you should double-bag it.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
Dumb question, but when you double bag something does the outer bag need to be vacuum sealed or is it there just to prevent any leakage into the sealed bag?

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Yeah you should vacuum seal the second bag to make sure there are no air pockets hindering contact between the water bath and the food.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Mikey Purp posted:

Yeah you should vacuum seal the second bag to make sure there are no air pockets hindering contact between the water bath and the food.

Yeah any air here between bag 1 and bag 2 is going to gently caress you up; I found out the hard way putting a half-full bag of shrimp inside a ziploc just for convenience.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
I have a frozen, unseasoned vacuum packed fillet of salmon with skin that i got from the store about a month old. I want to sous vide it and compare it to my traditional way of preparing salmon (olive oil + sea salt + grill).

First question, do I let it thaw overnight in the fridge and sous vide it according to recipes, or should i just add some time in the bath and call it good? I saw earlier in the thread brine + thaw, but I don't want to open the package. 2nd question, how should i finish it? Baste lightly in olive oil + salt and finish on the grill?

I'm only a 2 steaks into my sous vide adventures, so salmon is a whole new ball game for me.

As for my previous searing issues, i took a regular skillet and got it rocket hot and got a pretty solid sear this time. I think with my cast iron i just didn't let it get hot enough first, so next time i'll preheat that sucker and then give it a go.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I haven't done fish yet but several people recommend removing the skin and frying it sepereatly to provide a bit of a crunch with the very soft fish...

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Hopper posted:

I haven't done fish yet but several people recommend removing the skin and frying it sepereatly to provide a bit of a crunch with the very soft fish...

I can confirm that this is an excellent approach. I recall I also baked the skin sandwiched between two sheet pans and that worked as an alternative to frying.

Now I'm kicking myself for not doing sous vide chicken this way. And eating all the skin.

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

Ultimate Mango posted:

I can confirm that this is an excellent approach. I recall I also baked the skin sandwiched between two sheet pans and that worked as an alternative to frying.

Now I'm kicking myself for not doing sous vide chicken this way. And eating all the skin.

Chicken thighs work great this way, as well. Sous vide the thighs, rip off the skin, render the fat from the skins, then fry them on medium high in their own fat. If you treat the skins like bacon - flipping them constantly and then draining on a paper towel - they turn out great. The skins are even better if you re-fry them again after letting them sit for a few minutes on the paper towel.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
So after a year and change I've finally bought a dremel to cut a lid instead of halfassing my lid with plastic wrap. What's a good lid to buy for this cambro?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

So after a year and change I've finally bought a dremel to cut a lid instead of halfassing my lid with plastic wrap. What's a good lid to buy for this cambro?

this is what I got & it fits fine. I used a hole saw to cut mine though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Hauki posted:

this is what I got & it fits fine. I used a hole saw to cut mine though.

A hole saw is the answer. It's what I used to make my cooler into a cooker. Fast easy and really good fit.