Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Demiurge4 posted:

Also god loving dammit how long do I have to wait for Warmaster?
Not much longer than for Penitent, I'm sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Reality will have caught up to the Sabbat Crusade by the time Abnett finishes Warmaster.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
Just finished Descent of Angels. Thoughts:
- The knights in the future story was actually kind of cool.
- Luther seems like kind of a pansy.
- I liked it when they switched over back to grimdark space wizards, but I thought the Sarosh campaign ended too abruptly.
- The Emperor seems like a chill dude.

Why did the Lion send a bunch of dudes back to Caliban? They're not gonna get better at fighting the Emperor's enemies without fighting the Emperor's enemies.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jesus, they kept Kolea on after Ouranberg? :zombie:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

bango skank posted:

Jesus, they kept Kolea on after Ouranberg? :zombie:

He gets better.

Sort of. (Sabbat Martyr is a really weak book and the worst by far in the ghosts series).

Orv
May 4, 2011
Not only does Kolea have some form of super amnesia, so does his plot line for two books!

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Didn't Abnett also end up retconning the name/gender of one of Kolea's kids? The whole Saint/Lost storyline has all sorts of fuckery

Orv
May 4, 2011
Doesn't ring a bell. I think maybe Yoncy didn't have a name until way later for no reason?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Immanentized posted:

Didn't Abnett also end up retconning the name/gender of one of Kolea's kids? The whole Saint/Lost storyline has all sorts of fuckery

I think he might have aged up Dalin and Yoncy, because in Necropolis, they were really, really young, but in Armour of Contempt, Dalin is old enough to enlist, and by Salvation's Reach, Yoncy is a teenager. Granted, the Ghosts have been on deployment for nearly 13 years, but a fair chunk of that occurred before the battle of Vervunhive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AqVmvuH7aQ
If nothing else, I believe that Deathwing might just have the best representation of 40K Weaponry yet put to a game.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 5, 2016

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Arcsquad12 posted:

I think he might have aged up Dalin and Yoncy, because in Necropolis, they were really, really young, but in Armour of Contempt, Dalin is old enough to enlist, and by Salvation's Reach, Yoncy is a teenager. Granted, the Ghosts have been on deployment for nearly 13 years, but a fair chunk of that occurred before the battle of Vervunhive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AqVmvuH7aQ
If nothing else, I believe that Deathwing might just have the best representation of 40K Weaponry yet put to a game.

It's looking good and it sounds like they put a lot of work into the single player, which is cool. I was worried it was basically just gonna be like playing left 4 dead solo.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Abnett also aged Gaunt's son with techological fuckery so there's that. He also addresses Yoncy in I think Salvations Reach where some of the civilian women are discussing her gender.

It's a shame we won't see much out of Abnett anymore. I had a feeling he was gonna continue the story through Felix after the Ghost arc was done much like how he's moving Eisenhorn/Ravenor into an endgame.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?

Demiurge4 posted:

It's a shame we won't see much out of Abnett anymore.

What's happened?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gooses and Geeses posted:

What's happened?

Guardians of the Galaxy

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Guy Goodbody posted:

Guardians of the Galaxy

Uh, you know that was years ago, right? Unless he picked it back up again recently which as far as I know he hasn't.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Comics in general happened, which supposedly pay considerably better than BL work. If you look at his Twitter there's all sorts of comics talk with hardly any mention of anything 40k ever.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MMAgCh posted:

Comics in general happened, which supposedly pay considerably better than BL work. If you look at his Twitter there's all sorts of comics talk with hardly any mention of anything 40k ever.

BL has been said to pay horribly in general and be awful to the writers.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Finished Predator, Prey. Enjoyed more than Abnett's opening book, mainly because of the focus on other characters battling the Beast's invasion force who weren't all noble Astartes.

I still think the plotline is wonderfully ludicrous. I haven't read anything by Gav Thorpe before, and he's next up. How is he?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Robot Wendigo posted:

Finished Predator, Prey. Enjoyed more than Abnett's opening book, mainly because of the focus on other characters battling the Beast's invasion force who weren't all noble Astartes.

I still think the plotline is wonderfully ludicrous. I haven't read anything by Gav Thorpe before, and he's next up. How is he?

Bad.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Cythereal posted:

He also either has developed epilepsy or has become more epileptic since publishing a bunch of his earlier black library stuff; I'm sure I read somewhere that he has said that has, naturally, slowed him down a bit too.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Master of Mankind is up for preorder, getting released November 26th. Preview chapter up at BL now

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

hopterque posted:

It's looking good and it sounds like they put a lot of work into the single player, which is cool. I was worried it was basically just gonna be like playing left 4 dead solo.

That's good to hear. None of my friends are into multiplayer online games, and these sort of games are usually no fun with bots. I tried Vermintide on the previous free weekend and didn't like it.

Yeah I know I could play with random pubbies but ehhhhhh.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

MMAgCh posted:

Cythereal posted:

How Aaron Dembski-Bowden hasn't been headhunted by a better paying company/gig is a source of amazement to me.

Edit: Just read the sample of 'Master of Mankind' from the BL web page. Looking good.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 7, 2016

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Robot Wendigo posted:

Gav's okay. He's not great usually but he's never written anything I put down out of disgust.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

He also either has developed epilepsy or has become more epileptic since publishing a bunch of his earlier black library stuff; I'm sure I read somewhere that he has said that has, naturally, slowed him down a bit too.

He was diagnosed like 6 years ago. Unless it's gotten markedly worse I don't think that's a reason. Marvel money is just more lucrative than GW money and I can't get mad at the dude for being successful. He still writes the occasional BL book though.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

I just finished Legion. Thoughts:
- Dan Abnett is leagues ahead of any of the other BL writers. This fact is stunningly obvious.
- Books about Marines written from the PoV of regular humans are cooler than the opposite.
- The Alpha Legion are so dang cool.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Legion owns, glad you liked it. Some people get grumpy because it doesn't have much of the actual Alpha Legion in it, but I thought it ruled.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
One thing about marines from a lower pov that doesn't get brought up enough is how deceptively fast astartes are. I was a little bummed in traitor general when the chaos marines just lumbered around the nihtghane village tanking shots rather than smashing the place to pieces.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
It's funny when somebody from the past comes to post in the thread, that or somebody who hasn't read ADB yet.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Does Fulgrim get good?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Fellblade posted:

It's funny when somebody from the past comes to post in the thread, that or somebody who hasn't read ADB yet.

I have read the Nightlords books, and found them pretty fun. I also remember that the first book in the omnibus had the squad trudging slowly through an ocean of mechanicus skitarii casually stomping on them rather than moving with high speed carnage.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

mango sentinel posted:

Does Fulgrim get good?

Oh you sweet summer child.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

mango sentinel posted:

Does Fulgrim get good?

Nope. The book sucks, the Primarch sucks, the legion sucks.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

The Sex Cannon posted:

Nope. The book sucks, the Primarch sucks, the legion sucks.

Giggity. :quagmire:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Arcsquad12 posted:

I have read the Nightlords books, and found them pretty fun. I also remember that the first book in the omnibus had the squad trudging slowly through an ocean of mechanicus skitarii casually stomping on them rather than moving with high speed carnage.

To be fair, that was written before Skitarii became the new hot poo poo to be pushed by GW.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Sandweed posted:

Oh you sweet summer child.

Heard in a podcast that some cool stuff happens in there but I trust you guys over them. Gonna skip ahead to Legion.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

mango sentinel posted:

Heard in a podcast that some cool stuff happens in there but I trust you guys over them. Gonna skip ahead to Legion.

I mean do you not want to read about space marines shoving a spiky metal pear up their primarch's butt in great detail

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Fulgrim has a workable premise of ripping off picture of Dorian grey, but then it is just tedious and terrible.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Fulgrim is alright by itself. The real hate comes from the next book. The sin in Fulgrim's story is that there was never an agreed upon narrative and each successive author made up their own poo poo with total disregard for previous work.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The Fulgrim drinking game is to take a drink every time the Emperor's Children are described as "perfect".

IIRC it's something like 37 drinks in the first two chapters.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

They make a picture of blood, poo poo and semen so that's cool I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Sandweed posted:

They make a picture of blood, poo poo and semen so that's cool I guess.

the best part imo