Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Henchman of Santa posted:

Isn't like everyone in the comics dead by now except Rick and...Andrea maybe?

When I flipped through a recent comic earlier this year, I saw Rick, Carl, Andrea and Micchone were still alive.

Andrea is dead on the show, and Darryl was never meant to be as long lasting as he has. I'm pretty sure he's a TV only character and Kirkman wanted to kill him off on the show several times now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

marshmallow creep posted:

When I flipped through a recent comic earlier this year, I saw Rick, Carl, Andrea and Micchone were still alive.

Also Eugene. He has mullet based immunity in the apocalypse.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

That judge guy is actually lucky he didn't scrap with Screech or he might have gotten shanked.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

To be fair there isn't much food to be foraged in the desolate wasteland that is a highway or carpark.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Killing off Daryl will decimate this show's ratings.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The arguably fair counterpoint is that what he's saying and he's demonstrating is useful and true, even if the conditions he's currently in are bullshit.

That said, I prefer Survivorman.

Serf posted:

Killing off Daryl will decimate this show's ratings.

Given how many women watch the show just for him I think there'd be way more than a 10% drop.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

rydiafan posted:

The arguably fair counterpoint is that what he's saying and he's demonstrating is useful and true, even if the conditions he's currently in are bullshit.

That said, I prefer Survivorman.

Given how many women watch the show just for him I think there'd be way more than a 10% drop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBmhNA7JME4

Essentially Bear Grylls is demonstrating how to "self-rescue" in situations that have been overly dramatized for ratings and in this instance, would unnecessarily endanger the hypothetical stranded individual that has taken his teachings to heart. Lava fields, both fresh and old, are treacherous and in a survival situation, there's isn't really a compelling reason to cross one.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I've only seen half a dozen Grylls episodes, but each one had behaviour which would have guaranteed the death of anyone actually trapped in that situation.

Couldn't even watch them to laugh at them they were so crap.

He's definitely well spoken and charismatic, but his shows are all flash and no substance.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

marshmallow creep posted:

Sophia is also still alive, she just lives in a different settlement to Rick and Carl so doesn't appear often.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Gorilla Salad posted:

In fact, jump cuts in general poo poo me when they happen every two seconds. Some shows are like trying to watch a music video made by someone who's just dunked their head into a table full of cocaine Scarface-style.

"Let's make it more kinetic!" /Throws camera off cliff.
There's a sequence in Taken 3 that shows Liam Neeson climbing over a wire fence while running away from the cops.

It uses something like 13 jump cuts in the space of 3 seconds to show this.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

GazChap posted:

There's a sequence in Taken 3 that shows Liam Neeson climbing over a wire fence while running away from the cops.

It uses something like 13 jump cuts in the space of 3 seconds to show this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCKhktcbfQM

Even just jumping out the window has waaaay too many cuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bMAKECY4Zo&t=94s

Cage has a new favorite as of 18:49 on Nov 8, 2016

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

Sophia is also still alive, she just lives in a different settlement to Rick and Carl so doesn't appear often.

I read conflicting stories as to why she died early in the show. One was that the actress couldn't handle it, and the other said she was hitting puberty so they had to get rid of her.

Same as Game of Thrones. Sorry, did anyone think Jon Snow was really and truly dead forever? I bet HBO wanted him back the first episode of the new season. Him, Dany, and Tyrion are loving bulletproof. So is Arya. While they started out as cool characters, now it's just blah, I wonder what side character will get it while the main four move on to great things and yawn.

It always bothered me that they cut out a few key scenes. The Tysha revelation in season 4, and any criticism of Rhaegar to Dany courtesy of Selmy. In the books he still sang praises of the rear end in a top hat, but he did have some moments where he was "well, yeah, Dany, he was a great warrior but not that smart and he did hurt his wife a lot and shamed her and....yeah."

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Some of the bulletproof actors are getting mega paychecks now so they'll probably off at least one of them next season.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's also only two seasons left so anyone is fair game.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
It's getting to the point where reality shows don't even care how staged it is. I'm a horrible person that watches poo poo like Gold Rush and Ax Men and it's absurdly blatant on them.

Gold Rush had these previews of Parker's truck going off the road. When time for the scene came sure enough his truck loses traction and careens off the road. Right at a camera. Like, how exactly did they know where to have a camera for a totally not staged car accident? How lucky!

A few seasons back on Ax Men they were pushing a war between two rival logging factions, and one dude drove his truck through the other's camp. Second dude gets pissed, grabs his loader and tosses the guy's truck off the edge of a cliff. Even ignoring the fact that this would probably warrant jail time, it's pretty clear in the shot that the drive line was cut and the truck was empty of anything and everything inside it.

Yet I can't stop watching this poo poo. I'm part of the problem.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Mortanis posted:

It's getting to the point where reality shows don't even care how staged it is. I'm a horrible person that watches poo poo like Gold Rush and Ax Men and it's absurdly blatant on them.

Gold Rush had these previews of Parker's truck going off the road. When time for the scene came sure enough his truck loses traction and careens off the road. Right at a camera. Like, how exactly did they know where to have a camera for a totally not staged car accident? How lucky!

A few seasons back on Ax Men they were pushing a war between two rival logging factions, and one dude drove his truck through the other's camp. Second dude gets pissed, grabs his loader and tosses the guy's truck off the edge of a cliff. Even ignoring the fact that this would probably warrant jail time, it's pretty clear in the shot that the drive line was cut and the truck was empty of anything and everything inside it.

Dramatic recreations of real events obviously

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I was kinda tired when I was watching it but I can't help but feel like the newest Bourne Identity movie had an issue like this. Either that or it was just constantly bouncing all over the place.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The camera in the Bourne movies are spastic when two people are sitting down and having coffee.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Mu Zeta posted:

The camera in the Bourne movies are spastic when two people are sitting down and having coffee.

But it doesn't?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The one I remember is in Bourne Supremacy where Joan Allen and Brian Cox are sitting down and talking while the camera guy must be having a muscle spasm.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mu Zeta posted:

The one I remember is in Bourne Supremacy where Joan Allen and Brian Cox are sitting down and talking while the camera guy must be having a muscle spasm.

Maybe you had an eye seizure

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I thought the shakycam worked in the first Bourne film because he doesn't know how he is loving the mooks up he's just acting on muscle memory and has no idea how the hell he knows how to do any of that stuff so the camerawork being confusing is appropriate because it reflects his mental state.

In all the other films it added nothing.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The average shot is like 4 seconds long and it's all handheld. I know I'm not the only one complaining about the camera in that movie. It was done much better in Ultimatum.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

FreudianSlippers posted:

I thought the shakycam worked in the first Bourne film because he doesn't know how he is loving the mooks up he's just acting on muscle memory and has no idea how the hell he knows how to do any of that stuff so the camerawork being confusing is appropriate because it reflects his mental state.

It started in the second film, the first just sped up the footage to make it look like a superhero punched a bunch of cops in the dick and stole their guns. "Shakey Cam" was introduced by Paul Greengrass and was probably the movie that made it popular in mainstream cinema. Problem is, It was cool in Bourne because of how it was used, not so much in most of its other applications.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Mortanis posted:

Why can you not stop watching??

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

MrJacobs posted:

It started in the second film, the first just sped up the footage to make it look like a superhero punched a bunch of cops in the dick and stole their guns. "Shakey Cam" was introduced by Paul Greengrass and was probably the movie that made it popular in mainstream cinema. Problem is, It was cool in Bourne because of how it was used, not so much in most of its other applications.

I must have compressed the first two movies into one in my memory. I binged watched them, or at least the first three since the others weren't out, all in a row a few years ago.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

FreudianSlippers posted:

So many fight scenes are shot horrendously. Those Taken scenes are unwatchable. I mean, I know they have to cover up for the fact that they probably have a stuntman who looks and moves nothing like Liam Neeson, but still they shouldn't need so many cuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1PCtIaM_GQ&t=118s

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Phanatic posted:

Those Taken scenes are unwatchable. I mean, I know they have to cover up for the fact that they probably have a stuntman who looks and moves nothing like Liam Neeson, but still they shouldn't need so many cuts.

The thing is that they don't even need to show it in the first place.

Have him run up to the cyclone fence, grab hold of it and put one foot up. Cut, move to next scene.

If the audience can't figure out what happened next, odds are they're too stupid to understand the actual plot, too.

Also, that Jackie Chan clip really does a great job of showing just how much a difference good editing can make.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Too bad there's only one Jackie Chan in the world per lifetime. Also, if the fight scenes in the Bourne movies were done like Jackie Chan then it would be pretty disappointing. Bourne isn't about flash, he's about brutal efficiency.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

Too bad there's only one Jackie Chan in the world per lifetime. Also, if the fight scenes in the Bourne movies were done like Jackie Chan then it would be pretty disappointing. Bourne isn't about flash, he's about brutal efficiency.

Brutally efficient use of the environment could be pretty cool though.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
A movie that is otherwise filmed with a steady cam but goes into epileptic seizure shaky-cam chaos the moment a punch is thrown. loving give me a loving break.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

credburn posted:

A movie that is otherwise filmed with a steady cam but goes into epileptic seizure shaky-cam chaos the moment a punch is thrown. loving give me a loving break.

Gladiator annoyed me for this reason.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Sometimes it is used very successfully to communicate the wildly disorienting adrenaline dump that anyone who's been in a fistfight will recognise. Sometimes it;s just a fig leaf for poor fight choreography.

I think both Saving Private Ryan and the battle episode in the last season of Game of Thrones were phenomenal for how they combined perspectives. SPR had the slow tracking shots focusing on each characters face mixed with first-person shakycam beach-storming action. GoT had the incredibly composed balletic slow-mo cavalry and aerial shots, interspersed with the suffocating chaos of first-person and brutal hand-to-hand stuff shot in closeup.

WeAreTheRomans has a new favorite as of 13:06 on Nov 10, 2016

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I hate when it spoils something you're otherwise enjoying. I liked the plot and characters in Power Rangers RPM the most, but the fight scenes were all constant shaky-cam.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Why can you not stop watching??

Sometimes poo poo is so so bad you watch because you can't imagine how worse it can get.

Me, I was pushed to read a comic called Harbourmaster, by a friend who told me it started out slow but got really good. Okay, some shows and books are like that.

Okay, cool, aliens, a touristy town, giant sentient bugs. Sounds cool. But the entire story revolves around a white guy who, despite being on this planet for 20 years, barely interacts with the culture. And then there's all this allusion to some Big Family Fight between the other aliens (which is never ever explained, only talked about vaguely every other arc). And slowly the cool bugs get phased out for more human-looking aliens sitting around and talking. Oh, and there was a huge war 30 years ago with super evil shapeshifter Darwinist aliens...and surprise, there's a few of them left, but they're Super Lawful Good now, and all this is being kept from Generic White Guy. The last arc had him being attacked by one of those aliens, but before he could actually do anything, he gets saved by the other author favorites, and knocked out before he knows what is happening. It's literally build up to something awesome, some real confrontation....only to bow down. Every loving time. It gets more boring every week but I can't stop reading because I can't figure out just how the author is going to top herself with the poo poo writing and worse sci-fi science, and how much more Mary Sue the characters can get.

I guess it's kinda how some people can watch the StarWars prequels because they know it's poo poo but they watch it because every time they do, they are amazed at how bad it is.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Sometimes it is used very successfully to communicate the wildly disorienting adrenaline dump that anyone who's been in a fistfight will recognise. Sometimes it;s just a fig leaf for poor fight choreography.

I think both Saving Private Ryan and the battle episode in the last season of Game of Thrones were phenomenal for how they combined perspectives. SPR had the slow tracking shots focusing on each characters face mixed with first-person shakycam beach-storming action. GoT had the incredibly composed balletic slow-mo cavalry and aerial shots, interspersed with the suffocating chaos of first-person and brutal hand-to-hand stuff shot in closeup.

Yeah, I was going to say Saving Private Ryan did a great job of incorporating shaky-cam to illustrate the chaos of what was happening. I guess it annoys me in Bourne movies because Bourne is a really skilled, methodical killer. He moves quick but it's not out of panic and disorientation and chaos like soldiers dumped on the beaches of Normandy. SPR shows you the shaky cam to immerse you in the characters and what they're feeling. Bourne shows you the shaky cam because STUFF IS MOVING SO FAST NOBODY CAN KEEP UP!!!

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

One Jackie Chan per lifetime? It's going to be tough waiting for his reincarnation to grow up enough to do movies.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Re: Reality TV chat

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
That right there is exactly what my problem was with Mythbusters.

I bitch about that show a lot in TVIV, but mainly because I really did like it and it was so sorely let down by a few massive flaws. One was the editing. The other was the build team.

For the final season they kicked out the build team and toned down the schizoidal editing and it was the best season of the show in a decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

nexus6 posted:

Re: Reality TV chat

Break for commercial