Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ManofManyAliases posted:

Absolutely. We knew or could guesstimate those responses before the events based on very basic information that was already available. Besides, many of the bullets are interrelated.

But far be it for me to preclude you having fun. Do you, boo boo.

He's got a much better record than any (semi-)official CIG source, why are you being so contrary?

Seriously, what makes you so very certain he's the best space games guesser in the whole 'verse and not some random idiot who knows people working in a jpeg farm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

thatguy posted:

I voted Trump as a joke.

is that where "Mr. Brexit" originates?

Lazrin
Apr 13, 2016

THEN HE SAID..NO WAIT, LISTEN. THEN HE SAID 3.0 IS COMING OUT BY DEC 19TH 2016
:laffo:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Name one comparable game.

games in the same category; large mmos are comparable games.

- wildstar - 9 years
- teso - 7 years
- sw:tor - 6 years
- wow - 6 years

... and most in that set are at 5-6 years.

star citizen is not even 4 years into development, even if you consider the 2012 crowdfunding campaign the start.

And as mentioned, they are developing 2 games simultaneously... trying to unify systems, features, tech, and assets between them. two moving targets. that's a lot of logistical overhead *no* other studios have ever faced. as a new studio without any established pipelines.

based on that, yes, i'd say they are right on schedule when stood up against comparable games, not to mention fairly impressive.

now... i'll give this - pretty soon it will be harder to make it look like there's progress. up to now, building all of the technical foundational stuff could be relatively nebulous... but that that's the nature of the beast, and progress becomes much more rapid once those pieces are in place.

so, if by the end of next year, 3.x isn't fleshed out to the level of a nearly release-complete feature set of mechanics, with adequate iteration and polish (and if s42 doesn't see full retail release) i'll be the first one in line to call bullshit.

but it still wouldn't change why i backed.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Lazrin posted:

- Wildstar - 9 years
- The Elder Scrolls Online- 7 years
- Star Wars - The Old Republic - 6 years
- World of Warcraft - 6 years

look man I know capitals aren't your thing but it's just disrespectful to the developers when you insist on manhandling their intellectual property.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Lazrin posted:

- wildstar - 9 years
- teso - 7 years
- wow - 6 years

star citizen is not even 4 years into development, even if you consider the 2012 crowdfunding campaign the start.

And as mentioned, they are developing 2 games simultaneously... trying to unify systems, features, tech, and assets between them. two moving targets. that's a lot of logistical overhead *no* other studios have ever faced. as a new studio without any established pipelines.

based on that, yes, i'd say they are right on schedule when stood up against comparable games, not to mention fairly impressive.

now... i'll give this - pretty soon it will be harder to make it look like there's progress. up to now, building all of the technical foundational stuff could be relatively nebulous... but that that's the nature of the beast, and progress becomes much more rapid once those pieces are in place.

so, if by the end of next year, 3.x isn't fleshed out to the level of a nearly release-complete feature set of mechanics, with adequate iteration and polish (and if s42 doesn't see full retail release) i'll be the first one in line to call bullshit.

lol to all this

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Lazrin posted:

i'll be the first one in line to call bullshit.

No you won't, you'll be well back with Bopher, Seraph and other untouchables

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Lazrin posted:

- wildstar - 9 years
- teso - 7 years
- wow - 6 years

…………………./´¯/)
………………..,/¯../
………………./…./
…………./´¯/’…’/´¯¯`·¸
………./’/…/…./……./¨¯\
……..(‘(…´…´…. ¯~/’…’)
………\……………..’…../
……….”…\………. _.·´
…………\…………..(
…………..\………….\…

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Lazrin posted:

now... i'll give this - pretty soon it will be harder to make it look like there's progress.

Also this is the loving issue you choose to be worried about. Making it look like there's progress.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5bqt46/constructive_suggestion_to_cig_on_how_better/d9r2a5z/

:tinfoil: :tinfoil: :tinfoil:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Lazrin posted:

Star Citizen - Pretty Soon It Will Be Harder to Make It Look Like There's Progress

:five:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

No one with a brain could see that hangar video of SQ42 after 5 years of development and not want a refund.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
I got two games, one for the spergs and one for the whales.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Lazrin. may I call you Lazrin?

You are a filthy liar.

There is no way you are in any software development field.
Especially in any position of authority.

Your complete inability to articulate your thoughts or make sentences that don't hurt to read, coupled with your ignorance of the most basic software development leads me to believe you are completely full of poo poo.

Prove you aren't. You can't. Because you are full of poo poo.

And I am an idiot for responding to you. But that's on me.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Will CIG even still be in business at the end of next year? They need to start hitting some impressive home runs soon if they hope to have any chance of that...

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Lladre posted:

Lazrin. may I call you Lazrin?

You are a filthy liar.

There is no way you are in any software development field.
Especially in any position of authority.

Your complete inability to articulate your thoughts or make sentences that don't hurt to read, coupled with your ignorance of the most basic software development leads me to believe you are completely full of poo poo.

Prove you aren't. You can't. Because you are full of poo poo.

And I am an idiot for responding to you. But that's on me.

He's in transition, please try to respect that.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Lack of Gravitas posted:

Will CIG even still be in business at the end of next year? They need to start hitting some impressive home runs soon if they hope to have any chance of that...

That's what I thought about this time a year ago. But the whales. The whales, man

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Lazrin posted:

- wildstar - 9 years
- teso - 7 years
- wow - 6 years

You've convinced me mate, I'm sure Chris Roberts is making good use of your $2,000 and the best way to hit back at so called "critics" of the ground breaking work CIG is doing may well be to pick up another couple of ships in the coming sale.

Don't back down, stay strong.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Star Citizen is doing things nobody else has tried, nothing can compare to it :v:

Here's a list of comparable games for the purposes of arguing about development time :v:

Hey guys, it's me Lazrin :v:

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
it all depends on the next six months

if they can get the sqlude out and its well received they might have a shot (lol)

but they are absolutely burning through that additional $50m they got and the development budget is back cutting into their marketing budget

if people continue to give them $5m a month, it could go on years though

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Lazrin posted:

38 Studios. Yea, they failed too.

Lazrin
Apr 13, 2016

THEN HE SAID..NO WAIT, LISTEN. THEN HE SAID 3.0 IS COMING OUT BY DEC 19TH 2016
:laffo:
@the titanic - take a look at the responses - this is how i know they don't have anything to say when faced with facts, or won't acknowledge when i highlight potential problems. they just make noises

TheAgent posted:

if people continue to give them $5m a month, it could go on years though

is there anything wrong with that, actually? if those years get them to the finish line?

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Beet Wagon posted:

Star Citizen is doing things nobody else has tried, nothing can compare to it :v:

Here's a list of comparable games for the purposes of arguing about development time :v:

Hey guys, it's me Lazrin :v:
See, SC is better than all of these game in the list (or it's gonna be, once it's finished being worse than games way worse from those in the list, because it's still in pre-alpha, a total mess and nowhere close to a "game" -- nevermind two games). Therefore

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
I would also like an explanation on how fun immersive games (Even the one that pulled the hosed up Deus Ex Machina and made you mad about it) are "soulless".

What part about them are soulless? The fun? The immersive story that makes you feel for some npc?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ManofManyAsses posted:

Relax, dude. He's not even that.

Prove it.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

ManofManyAliases posted:

I haven't played in a month. When I played last, I griefed five ships at grim hex, got my wanted ranking up and camped Kareah until I got bored.

those words...those words are B'Tak's words

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Lazrin posted:

- wildstar - 9 years
- teso - 7 years
- wow - 6 years

None of those games are even remotely close in scope to Star Citizen. All four are massively multiplayer games, but they lack the graphics and level of detail (and subsequently the computation and networking requirements) that Star Citizen apparently demands. At best you can call them the "half the scope" games that Chris Roberts mentioned in his Escapist rant, and that was $40M ago for a project who has explicitly stated that scope is tied to funding. Furthermore you're once again omitting that Chris Roberts himself declared that development started in 2011, and explicitly did as a means of assuaging concerns that the original schedule was too ambitious.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Lazrin posted:

is there anything wrong with that, actually? if those years get them to the finish line?

Is this prowler thing poo poo or what? Why don't you want one?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

also just loving :laffo: if you don't remember how completely hosed WoW was when it launched.

It's a good thing Blizzard had all that goodwill with the community and all that money from previous sales so they could afford to make it not total poo poo later. I wonder how that'll work with CIG...

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Lazrin posted:

if you want chris to keep pulling down $700k+ a year with bonuses and vacations billed to the company, sure

if you want the game released, stop giving them money so they actually have to release a product

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Lazrin posted:

@the titanic - take a look at the responses - this is how i know they don't have anything to say when faced with facts, or won't acknowledge when i highlight potential problems. they just make noises

…………………./´¯/)
………………..,/¯../
………………./…./
…………./´¯/’…’/´¯¯`·¸
………./’/…/…./……./¨¯\
……..(‘(…´…´…. ¯~/’…’)
………\……………..’…../
……….”…\………. _.·´
…………\…………..(
…………..\………….\…

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Truga posted:

That's what I thought about this time a year ago. But the whales. The whales, man

Yeah, but if it turns out true that Ortwin is leaving then things are probably way worse than suspected. Crobbers and Sandi are living the high life and occasionally doing whatever their job description is, but Ortwin is the Hollywood accountant who has nothing to do but watch the real funding meter and shuffle money around the dozens of companies. Well, that and reviewing changes to the ironclad TOS. I can't imagine him leaving unless he thinks his stake is going to worth a lot less sometime soon :shrug:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lazrin posted:

You're implying that those millions and years may not take them to the finish line. So the answer is yes, it is wrong.

If I preorder the latest Souls game, I know that I will receive a souls game of the expected quality (which is pretty drat high) at the expected date. That's fine. When I preorder pledge (some do continuously, in the order of thousands) for SC they may as well deliver nothing four years late. There is something wrong about that.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Beet Wagon posted:

also just loving :laffo: if you don't remember how completely hosed WoW was when it launched.

When WoW launched I looted a corpse and slid along the ground on my knees over a cliff, good times. You don't see glitches like that in SC, it's just too well made you see

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
Lol if you unironically engage lazrin or moma as if they are rational

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Lazrin posted:

Facts:
38 Studios

Kingdoms of Amalur ~ Squadron 42
Project Copernicus ~ Star Citizen

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Lazrin posted:

There's nothing wrong with that if those years get them to the finish line.

Therefore there is a lot wrong with that.

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

:shrug:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Did you see that hangar video? That is what they have after working on this game for FIVE YEARS. There is no finish line.

If you still have money in it and aren't insulted by that video then you are RETARDED.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

In case anyone is wondering it is absolutely loving shite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Lazrin posted:

What does that even mean, though?
How could it change the reason that you backed?

• Locked thread