Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Yeah, that looks really cool but looking really cool doesn't make a combat system good. I'm asking about what makes it enjoyable.

e: To clarify, I'm just asking what makes other people find the combat fun. I'm not looking for anyone to convince me that it's fun. I've played the game and I know that's not happening. But I've heard enough praise of the game that I am interested in knowing what other people see in it.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I cared about Dragon's Dogma enough to make this series of videos. :siren:Shameless self promotion.

But we do not know your experience with it and I am suspecting you got hit the same way a lot of other people did with how weak you start off and how quickly you get surrounded and killed for it. Not gonna speculate beyond that, because there are a thousand reasons why DD can be enjoyable.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Thank you, I'll check your videos out.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

This is Skyrim's one major flaw.

Skyrim is just one big flaw though. There's no way to polish a turd.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Skyrim had the same problem every Bethesda game has: They created an amazing system, huge detailed game world, and interesting game mechanics, and then went nowhere with it.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Backhand posted:

Skyrim had the same problem every Bethesda game has: They created an amazing system, huge detailed game world, and interesting game mechanics, and then went nowhere with it.

Modders will fix it. That's their strategy!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Backhand posted:

I can give you the huge world but I cannot think of a single gameplay mechanic in Skyrim that wasn't aggressively mediocre and slightly below average in quality.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

I can give you the huge world but I cannot think of a single gameplay mechanic in Skyrim that wasn't aggressively mediocre and slightly below average in quality.

Screaming people off of things

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

Perhaps I should rephrase and say potential for good gameplay mechanics.

As in, like, the engine supports cool things, and existing mechanics could be revamped to be much more meaningful and rewarding with minimal effort - we know this because there are a fair number of mods that do exactly that. Bethesda themselves just.... didn't, and never have.

The golden rule example is always Fallout 3 versus Fallout: New Vegas. Exact same game engine, exact same premise, even probably.... 90% the same, mechanically. But the difference between the two is like night and day in terms of story, player agency, potential playstyles, unique content, and customization options, and one of those games was made by Bethesda and the other wasn't. Skyrim and Fallout 4 were more of the exact same, so it honestly kinda makes me wonder sometimes if Bethesda doesn't just prefer keeping their games as simple as possible both to avoid extra work and to try and cast a wider net for consumers.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I still live in hope that one day Bethesda will make a game interface which doesn't need to be fixed by mods.

Vanilla Skyrim's UI was just so loving mediocre. Then you get SkyUI which is so much better that you can't even believe you had to download a script extender just to use it and why doesn't Bethesda ever make something as good as this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qzBT0ywHgk

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Well, aside from the unnatural chaimail underboob, that actually looks like a decent human, if a little grumpy. I think that she wouldn't look out of place in, say, dragon age. Although the hair really, really is overdone for the setting.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

The best part about that image is how only the chainmail boobs are actually in focus.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

The Skyrim pinup posters refer to themselves as "Screen Archers". I'd say that one definitely missed the mark.

or hit depending on who you are :grin:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

"It's loving cold out here in just chainmail :manning:"

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

"It's loving cold out here in just chainmail :manning:"

"Also the links keep pinching my skin, who the gently caress made this without a goddamn gambeson!?"

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
This was fun http://imgur.com/gallery/6fzus

it goes on

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The best bit is with the Ebony Warrior.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Young Freud posted:

The best bit is with the Ebony Warrior.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

So the Saints Row 4 Clothes Modding SDK just came out. Any bets on how fast Lovers Lab starts putting out weird fetish outfits?

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Hel posted:

So the Saints Row 4 Clothes Modding SDK just came out. Any bets on how fast Lovers Lab starts putting out weird fetish outfits?

I mean that would be perfectly in line with Saints Row, though.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

codenameFANGIO posted:

I mean that would be perfectly in line with Saints Row, though.

Especially the Saint's Row IV DLC...

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
"This hotdog mascot costume has an extra hotdog."

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Bieeardo posted:

"This hotdog mascot costume has an extra hotdog."
"And tits."

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
For the first time and thorough sheer coincidence and no effort of their own, loverslab will do something kinda restrained for once

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
If you don't play SR as a big, buff black dude with a Cockney accent and clad in purple lingerie, you're doing it so, so wrong :colbert:

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
My favourite moment playing SR was in 3, wearing Killbane's mask and setting people on fire by making jerk-off gestures at them.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Crossposting from the Skyrim thread, in case someone hasn't seen it.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Jack Trades posted:

Skyrim is just one big flaw though. There's no way to polish a turd.
You can put glitter on it tho

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
There are people that still actively make mods for Saint's Row 4? :psyduck:

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Crossposting from the Skyrim thread, in case someone hasn't seen it.

quote:

A Dubstep Spell

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

MohShuvuu posted:

There are people that still actively make mods for Saint's Row 4? :psyduck:
A few of the Volition guys have been working on a proper mod system with Steam Workshop etc. ever since SR4 DLC was finished up. It's just taken a really long time since a.) the engine is not made for PC-style arbitrary loading of loose files so they have to untangle all that and b.) they're literally doing it in their spare time outside of work. It's kind of a weird thing, but bless 'em for doing it.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

:swoon: Japan comes through again

https://twitter.com/darust1192/status/795499395592486912

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Apparently the Japanese name for whatever class of raider that was is "Raider Scum". Harsh.

E: VVV welp. You'll never guess what game I haven't played

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Nov 8, 2016

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

AlphaKretin posted:

Apparently the Japanese name for whatever class of raider that was is "Raider Scum". Harsh.
I think that's the name in the English version, too.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

The Kins posted:

A few of the Volition guys have been working on a proper mod system with Steam Workshop etc. ever since SR4 DLC was finished up. It's just taken a really long time since a.) the engine is not made for PC-style arbitrary loading of loose files so they have to untangle all that and b.) they're literally doing it in their spare time outside of work. It's kind of a weird thing, but bless 'em for doing it.

Isn't that mostly because the Gentleman of the Row guy works there?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

+1 for the Gundam

-1 for that vault girl replacement mod

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Brainamp posted:

-1 for that vault girl replacement mod

That's a mod?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Lunethex posted:

That's a mod?

You want the dickgirl or the non-dickgirl variety?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
What is this, loving amateur hour? How is that even a question.