Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

big money big clit posted:

Also, I'm not sure what the content of the emails has to do with the server they were stored on, but no one can ever actually stay in plot when talking about THE EMAIL SCANDAL so I'm not terribly surprised.

Content being government-classified Secret or even Top Secret mandates additional security rules across the board on how the information is created, transmitted, stored, and retained. The content has everything to do with the server they were stored on, and that's kind of the whole point of the scandal. If every message only said "hey let's move this meeting to 1 pm i'm at chipotle right now" then everything is fine, but if messages deal with Benghazi or Bin Laden then there's a problem.

The reason I can't possibly care is because other peopled emailed information to her on her private email address, and they're just as culpable for any security breach. If somebody at my company demanded they use their gmail account for business that's on them, but I'm still mandating everybody else send confidential or proprietary information to their organization email.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Content being government-classified Secret or even Top Secret mandates additional security rules across the board on how the information is created, transmitted, stored, and retained. The content has everything to do with the server they were stored on, and that's kind of the whole point of the scandal. If every message only said "hey let's move this meeting to 1 pm i'm at chipotle right now" then everything is fine, but if messages deal with Benghazi or Bin Laden then there's a problem.

The reason I can't possibly care is because other peopled emailed information to her on her private email address, and they're just as culpable for any security breach. If somebody at my company demanded they use their gmail account for business that's on them, but I'm still mandating everybody else send confidential or proprietary information to their organization email.

I'm familiar with the requirements, I've worked in gov IT and carried a clearance. The content is irrelevant because whether the server was hers or on the OpenNet network it still would have violated requirements to keep classified info on isolated networks like SIPR. If the problem is that classified information was sent on unclass networks and housed on unclass machines that would also be true if it was sent to hrc@state.gov, or whatever.

And my complaint was that stating that the emails highlight massive corruption, aside from being silly, has nothing to do with infosec.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

I'm familiar with the requirements, I've worked in gov IT and carried a clearance. The content is irrelevant because whether the server was hers or on the OpenNet network it still would have violated requirements to keep classified info on isolated networks like SIPR. If the problem is that classified information was sent on unclass networks and housed on unclass machines that would also be true if it was sent to hrc@state.gov, or whatever.

And my complaint was that stating that the emails highlight massive corruption, aside from being silly, has nothing to do with infosec.

I'm really interested in the more technical side of the whole ordeal, but I don't really want to contribute to some sort of horrible derail.

Is there any place with a really good write up that someone could link before we go on our merry cert-going ways?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
Can confirm OpenNet (the State Department's version of NIPR) used to be terrible. Not sure if it's changed since the massive hack a few years ago.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

psydude posted:

Can confirm OpenNet (the State Department's version of NIPR) used to be terrible. Not sure if it's changed since the massive hack a few years ago.

Still terrible as it ever was

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I apologize to everyone for using a political but relevant analogy in this thread.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

It is telling that we have hacked emails from the state department servers and none from the private server running in a basement managed by a fly by night IT shop. That's how bad Infosec is in civilian government.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

It is telling that we have hacked emails from the state department servers and none from the private server running in a basement managed by a fly by night IT shop. That's how bad Infosec is in civilian government.

It's telling you more about the value & profile of the target than the security. I've seen some fly by night poo poo that's far far far worse than Government IT.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Walked posted:

It's telling you more about the value & profile of the target than the security. I've seen some fly by night poo poo that's far far far worse than Government IT.

Indeed, what possible value could be gleaned from hacking the secretary of state's email server.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
only need to do the MCSE 70-414 to finish this track. I was thinking on delaying it until January 2017 so that it will also upgrade my cloud platform 2016 cert to 2017.

Good idea? or should i just take it asap

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

It took the FBI literally an hour or so to comb through all of the emails on the private server. I imagine they were hoping to find some juicy poo poo, but didn't.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Bigass Moth posted:

Hillary Clinton's email server?

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

"personal email server"

The original server

Terry Tate says, "keep that weak poo poo outta here"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMqhoYjY2X0

Renegret posted:

some sort of horrible derail.
Too late.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Are A+ and N+ still the best certs to get for someone looking to start in the IT field? Are they worth paying out of pocket for?

Should I even bother job hunting too much before I go for these if I have no directly paid/titled IT experience?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Scholtz posted:

Are A+ and N+ still the best certs to get for someone looking to start in the IT field? Are they worth paying out of pocket for?

Should I even bother job hunting too much before I go for these if I have no directly paid/titled IT experience?

A+ is honestly largely useless. N+ is better, but I have been brainwashed to think the entry level Cisco certs are the best you can do if you're looking at networking. If you want more of a systems admin role working towards your MSCE wouldn't be so bad. I'm not sure if that's a confirmation bias or if that is more or less true.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Agreed. Get certs from actual vendors not CompTIA.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just scheduled my CISSP for Dec 6. Let the full on panic attack begin.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

Martytoof posted:

Just scheduled my CISSP for Dec 6. Let the full on panic attack begin.

Think about the people you know who have a CISSP. You'll be fine.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

psydude posted:

Think about the people you know who have a CISSP. You'll be fine.

Actually this is a valid point and did calm me down significantly.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Scholtz posted:

I got my current job, the first one I have had in IT, off hobbyist experience with computers and my A+ cert. Working on my Network+ now to refresh the A+ as well. To what degree the A+ mattered is probably just "it checked a box on the recruitment site to get me the interview".

Having said that, my 2 years of work experience has taught me waaaaaaaaaay more than the A+ cert did. Dealing with VPN tunnels, WSUS, Active Directory, server migrations, good troubleshooting techniques, MDM deployment, etc etc.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
A+ and N+ will teach you jack poo poo about troubleshooting and real world scenarios, but are good for building a background of knowledge on which you can grow into a competent IT employee. With them you might not be as lost during conversations for the first few months but are by no means qualified to make decisions.

Spectracide
May 27, 2004
IT'S ARGH, BABY!
Woot, passed RHCSA! 283/300. I thought it being practical was really fun. I used every minute and could've used more.

My employer paid for the 5 day rapid track classroom training. I was worried about the accelerated pace but the Red Hat instructor was excellent. I usually self study for certs with a book so I'm impressed in the amount of info that was condensed into 4 days. Plus you get the "this probably will/won't be on the exam" hints.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Spectracide posted:

Woot, passed RHCSA! 283/300. I thought it being practical was really fun. I used every minute and could've used more.

My employer paid for the 5 day rapid track classroom training. I was worried about the accelerated pace but the Red Hat instructor was excellent. I usually self study for certs with a book so I'm impressed in the amount of info that was condensed into 4 days. Plus you get the "this probably will/won't be on the exam" hints.

I just planned my exam, first open spot was in february though. How did you prep outside of the fast track?

Spectracide
May 27, 2004
IT'S ARGH, BABY!

LochNessMonster posted:

I just planned my exam, first open spot was in february though. How did you prep outside of the fast track?

Not a whole lot (hopefully that comes as a relief!). Last week was my only week dedicated to the cert. I didn't think my prior Linux experience was that impressive (imposter syndrome?)...I rent/admin a VPS (CentOS 6) to host a couple personal websites and torrent, I experiment with different distros on my home desktop for fun every now and then (mostly a Windows guy), and more recently did some professional Linux application support. None of it was very "enterprise"-y.

Besides the classroom, Red Hat's book, and my notes, I used a CentOS 7 VM at home, Red Hat's objectives (do I know how to ____ ?), and this site to study. The objective overviews/practices there are pretty close to the ones in the classroom and the sample exam and sample quiz are OK too.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Spectracide posted:

Not a whole lot (hopefully that comes as a relief!). Last week was my only week dedicated to the cert. I didn't think my prior Linux experience was that impressive (imposter syndrome?)...I rent/admin a VPS (CentOS 6) to host a couple personal websites and torrent, I experiment with different distros on my home desktop for fun every now and then (mostly a Windows guy), and more recently did some professional Linux application support. None of it was very "enterprise"-y.

Besides the classroom, Red Hat's book, and my notes, I used a CentOS 7 VM at home, Red Hat's objectives (do I know how to ____ ?), and this site to study. The objective overviews/practices there are pretty close to the ones in the classroom and the sample exam and sample quiz are OK too.

That's reassuring. Experience wise I'm in the same position, although I do have a little bit of enterprise experience.

I knew about certdepot but will certainly use it to study if it was usedul to you.

Thanks.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Are there any legit online CCENT classes out there? Preferably one thats a one time cost instead of a subscription model.

LionYeti fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 14, 2016

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Check your local community college.

Vendictus Prime
Feb 28, 2013

Now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

LionYeti posted:

Are there any legit online CCENT classes out there? Preferably one thats a one time cost instead of a subscription model.

I was referred to the Cisco Academy online site. Really cheap monthly cost for different levels of access and labs if you want them. http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/training-events/training-certifications/certifications/entry/ccent.html

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Hey thread, it's me, the dude who wasted a bunch of time not getting certs and now kind of wants to get them. I picked up my CCENT a few months back. I finished the Odom book for CCNA and I'm in the middle of labbing the ever-loving poo poo out of all that material.

Due to fortuitous work circumstances, though, I'm going to be doing actual sysadmin work pretty soon and that's pretty much all RHEL/CentOS except for the weirdo places which run their own Debian poo poo for :iiam: spooky reasons.

I have like 3-4 years linux sysadmin experience, but it's been very basic stuff like administrating LAMP stacks. I've learned stuff as I've gone through Google and SA. I use Linux as my daily driver at work, and have gotten very used to futzing around in config files to fix stuff.

I think I can probably get the RHCSA with a few weeks of practice like I did with CCENT, but I wanted to know if there is a resource out there that's basically just a checklist of "Can you do all this poo poo blindfolded? K, you're good."

Anybody know a good resource like that?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
You mean Red Hat's listed exam objectives for the RHCSA?

Jang's book also lays it out on pages xliii-xlviii in the introduction.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Sheep posted:

You mean Red Hat's listed exam objectives for the RHCSA?

Jang's book also lays it out on pages xliii-xlviii in the introduction.

I saw that, but some of it seemed very basic or very general to the point that I got worried there might be more to it than the exam objectives are letting on. I was thinking about something like Free CCNA Workbook.

I'll look into Jang's book. Thanks for the recommendation.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I posted this in the wrong thread!

Is MCSE Server really a hard exam to study for or is it just the ball-busting trick questions? How long should I expect it to take to study for?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Chickenwalker posted:

Is MCSE Server really a hard exam to study for or is it just the ball-busting trick questions? How long should I expect it to take to study for?

Depends on your background. Do you have an MCSA already?

Vague answer: 2 to 12 months

edit:

I want to expand this answer now that I'm in front of a computer. I wasn't going to type all this up on my phone last night.

I'm not sure about your background, so don't take any of this as an insult, I'm just not sure how familiar you are with Micrsoft Certifications. The MCSE server isn't just a single exam. The MCSE Server Infrastructure cert is actually a total of 5 tests. 3 'base' Server tests comprise the MCSA certification and those exams cover Install/Configure/Admin/Advanced features of Server 2012/2016. There are 2 exams you take after the MCSA exams to earn the MCSE: Server Infrastructure cert.

How long it would take to study for these? It depends. I've been doing this 10+ years now and have/had a 2003 MCSE and a 2008 MCITP:Enterprise Administrator. With my work and family obligations I would need 2-3 months to prepare for the MCSA updgrade exams (2008 -> 2012), and another 2 months for each of the MCSE:Server Infrastructure exams. I really don't have a lot of extra time to study though. Someone with more free time could do it in a month for each step.

The test are not easy. Microsoft loves to try to trip you up in the questions/testlets. They also love to test on newer stuff they add and features not everyone use so the stuff I learn day to day doesn't cover all the test material.

Someone coming into this new or with only a couple years of experience, who has a good chunk of time to dedicate to their studies could probably do the MCSA in 6 months, and another 3 for the :SI part. A quick learner with a lot of time might get the whole thing done in less than 6 months.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about the world of Microsoft certifications.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Nov 17, 2016

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Chickenwalker posted:

Yes to both.

There's a lot of trickery type questions but also a lot of fundamental knowledge needed too.

2-12 months is about right if you have your MCSA already. If not, it wholly depends on your background

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I've finally discovered the lament of the soon-to-be-expired CCNA holder who no longer does networking for a living.

Working on CISSP next week and OSCP right after that, with RHCE as a kicker for funsies in Q2-3 '17, since my Cisco expires in January I'm probably giving it the heave ho finally.

Part of me is sad to see it go, especially since I put so much time and effort into it but I doubt I can remember enough Cisco proprietary stuff right now to pass it without cramming, which I can't really dedicate any time to.

Oh well, onward and upward. I swore off vendor-specific certs after CCNA but RHCE calls to me.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
I am only a year and a half away from getting my 4 year degree as a Networking specalist (Going both Cisco and Microsoft) and you guys are kinda scaring me. :ohdear:

Oh well at least School is basically paying me to learn this stuff. I actually have a minimester class this winter on computer hardware and the rest of my time is going to be learning actual Cisco routing and Microsoft stuff.

Obvious Edit: I'm an idiot

Katamari Democracy fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 18, 2016

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Oh boy. Hold on to your pants, son.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
YOU ARE NOT READY

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

isn't cysco a trucking company that handles food distribution?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

MF_James posted:

isn't cysco a trucking company that handles food distribution?

That's Sysco lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
CISCO holy poo poo :derp: