Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
2. Maybe, in the midst of his insane rampage, he'll take out a good number of goons and be a tremendous help in getting out of here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Anyways just putting this here for future reference :v:

quote:

Theantero: DK what difficulty is becoming the Tower Lord
DogKisser: 27
DogKisser: duh

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Theantero posted:

1 for easy momentum.

This and I'm going to pretend the child he has only exists in a dream :v:

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
We've killed this guy before, chances are we'll need to do it again. We don't have a moral crisis about standing on an ant 1.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

You whistled at him, a shadow on his dream. He whirled to face you, shocked beyond measure, and reflexively went for his gun. Poor guy, he never really knew what he was dealing with.

2d6+1 = 6 vs. 1d6 = 1 [Momentum Gained! Momentum at +2!]

With a fingertip, you pop his ego like a soap bubble. The dream vanishes and you find yourself back in the chair. The snoring’s stopped, at least! You roll a stiff neck and drum your fingers on the arm of the chair. You didn’t learn much of value in your little jaunt - trivial personal details and the name of that corpse sitting outside - but you did learn something: names and faces, valuable weapons to someone like you. A secretary (‘or something’, thanks a lot, Alan) named Rebecca and some mercenary commander named Biros. You mentally add them to your ‘people to find, interrogate and/or kill so I can go on living my life’ list. You also got the ship’s destination - Monaco is nice, maybe you’d just stow away! - and a rough itinerary. It’s better than what you had the first time you woke up (before you died!), so you counted it as a win.

Personal timeline-wise, you knew the two mercenaries you thought of as The Smokers were coming down the hall. Probably they had already stopped to smoke without an invisible lady karate chopping them to death. The dead guy Alan hadn’t sent out that radio message this time, but it must not have been targeted at The Smokers in the first place because they had just been sauntering down the hall. So - they’d come across Alan’s body soon enough. No visible signs of injury, but it would likely cause some confusion, if not necessarily suspicion of your involvement. Your blood was pulsing now, itching to get going, and you were STILL tied to the drat chair. Now what?
    1. Break Out [Difficulty 2]
    You flex iron muscles and break the rope and the chair you’re sitting on, then bust down the door.
    2. Wait It Out [Difficulty 0, -Momentum]
    Grit your teeth and wait for them to find the body. Your impatience is killing you - but then you’ve already died once today, right?
    3. Fill The Room With Poison [Difficulty 2]
    Breathe out a noxious cloud of gas, pressurizing the room with it, then start making noise until someone comes and checks on you.
    4. Look For Commander Biros [Difficulty 5]
    You know what he looks like, and that’s enough. Flip through all the EM spectra, sonar and telepathic wavelengths until you find him on the ship. If he’s on the ship, that is. As a side bonus, you’ll get a pretty good picture of the layout and personel on board.
    5. Project Yourself Out Of The Chair [Difficulty 3]
    Unlatch yourself from your body and go exploring. You can’t go too far or you’ll break the connection. You’re not sure what that would mean - either you’d die again (and what would THAT mean?) or you’d just have to find your body again and reconnect, which would be a pain.
    6. Laser Through The Wall [Difficulty 3]
    Melt a hole in the wall with powerful lasers from your eyes. Hopefully you’ll hit someone, but either way it’ll look really awesome.
    7.Write In [Difficulty ?]
    Write anything. A few short sentences at most - I’ll assign it a Difficulty.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Fine, 1

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Yeah, 1. We need to get out of this chair sometime.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Alright, time to rock and roll. You took a breath, then strained and twisted against the ropes, your muscles hard as stone. You heard ropes snap and the wooden chair creaking...

2d6+2 = 7 vs. 2d6 = 11 [Momentum Lost!]

...and pitch forward, smashing your nose against the steel plated floor. Again! This time you can’t help but let out an involuntary “gently caress!” as you roll on the floor in pain, now bound to two seperate pieces of a broken chair. You’ll give your kidnappers one thing - they can tie a knot! Sneezing out the remaining blood, you manage to maneuver yourself to a seated position facing the door. As if on cue, the door slams open, revealing the Smokers (who managed to get their cigarettes lit this time!) and, behind them, the limp body of Alan. One looks nervous, the other one looks pissed and heartbroken. In one quick stride he’s beside you, pistol pressed into the warm flesh of your forehead.

“You! Did you do this?” The one you killed first last time - you designate him ‘One’.
“Come on, man, she was in here when we popped the door.” The other’s ‘Two’, then.
“You heard the briefing, she’s supposed to be able to do all kinds of poo poo!”
“Man, look at her - it looks like she just broke her own nose trying to get out of here. Alan always said he had a weak heart, don’t go blaming this poo poo on our cargo.” You mentally thank Two for his vote of confidence, but One isn’t buying it. He also looks like he wasn’t asking rhetorically - he wants to know if you were responsible for his friend’s death.
    1. Yes, You Were
    Tell him exactly what happened. Why not?
    2. No, You Weren’t
    Lie through your teeth about it. You’d rather not be shot in the face, all things considered.
    3. Don’t Answer
    What does it matter what he thinks - in a second one of you is going to be dead.
“Dude, chill out, our client wants her alive!”
“Fine, I’ll kneecap her, then. I know this bitch killed him, and she doesn’t even look sorry!”
    4. Slam The Door [Difficulty 2]
    He’s standing right beside the door. You slam it shut as hard as you can.
    5. Tank The Bullet [Difficulty 2]
    Prepare for the shot - it’ll bounce right off you and ricochet around the room.
    6. Have Two Save You [Difficulty 3]
    He’s clearly not cool with this, so give him a little push to knock One’s gun out of his hand.
    7. Poison The Cigarette [Difficulty 3]
    Cigarette’s are bad enough for you, but they’re worse when you turn the tobacco into nightshade. Good luck with that, One.
    8. Grow The Wooden Chair Into A Tree [Difficulty 3]
    Force the dead wood to life and cover the room in dense foliage. If nothing else, they won’t be expecting it!
    8. Erupt Like A Volcano [Difficulty 4]
    Stop playing around with them and vomit a torrent of molten glass all over them!
    10.Write In [Difficulty ?]
---
Make sure you suggest stuff once in a while - I'm certain that your ideas are better than mine! Pick an X-Men mutant or superhero at random and use their powers, why doncha.

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Nov 8, 2016

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

1, 10. Cause the gun to malfunction and kill/injure himself. eh I'll stick with 5.

Olive! fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 8, 2016

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

1, 5

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?

Just because turning the cigarette into nightshade sounds fun and we have no momentum anyways.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
3 7

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

2 7

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
3 and 10: Catastrophic misfire and a nudge to his buddy to make him think that it happened because he never bothers cleaning his service weapon

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
1. Why lie?
7. Smoking is bad for you! Don't you know those things are poison? :v:

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

You didn’t feel the need to explain yourself to your kidnappers. One stared down at you with a “Well!?” but you just stared back up at him, face studiously neutral. You stared at his cigarette trailing loops of smoke as he screamed at you, and focused on changing it...

2d6 = 5 vs. 3d6 = 1 [Momentum Lost!] (Oof!)

A kick to the solar plexus sends you sprawling to the floor, wheezing, falling painfully onto broken shards of wood. “Fine, you don’t want to talk? Let’s see if this’ll get you talking!” And with that, One shot you in the knee. Pain explodes down the leg, overwhelming your earlier discomfort. One rolls you onto your back and stands on your collarbone, smoking gun pointing down at you. “How about now, feel like talking?”
    1. Say Nothing
    gently caress you, guy!
    2. Say Nothing
    gently caress you, guy!
Two kicks him in the shins and shouts at him. “Mr. Velascu is going to be pissed you hurt her, dude! Think of her like a fancy car - she loses a lot of her value if she’s not spotless, you loving rear end in a top hat! Now cut that poo poo out and lets get Alan to the infirmary and see if there’s anyone there to salvage.”

With a final look down at you, One leaves you there, bloody and exhausted, then slams the door. You feel wretched, and can’t bear to look down at your knee… but you’re alive. He shouldn’t have left you alive. Not that death would have stopped you anyhow. The power within you burns raw and hot, and you know that if you let it it’ll hurt even you. But maybe it’s worth it.
    3. Kill Them Both [Difficulty ???, Lose 1d6]
    You ‘light a match’, taking a portion of your power and letting it loose into the world, only barely constrained by your will. This will weaken you greatly, but you have plenty of time to get better. For now, you want them dead. (What form does your projection take?)
    4. Calm Down And Reassess [Difficulty 1]
    Alright, that went worse than expected (and certainly worse than last time) but ultimately you’re alright. You free yourself from the wreckage, heal up, and take your time for once. Rushing put you in this position, and you’ve gotten pretty sick of it. (Pick this and another option - if you succeed at this one, you will automatically do the other at -1 Difficulty. However, you will not gain Momentum)
    5. Blast The Door Off Its Hinges [Difficulty 3]
    Yell your frustrations into a shrieking maelstrom of wind that will blow the door down, probably kill those two idiots outside, and alert the whole ship to your presence.
    6. Kill One [Difficulty 4]
    You didn’t think much of him when you killed him earlier, but now you’re really not fond of him. Leap through the wall and pull off his skin.
    7. Grant Them Visions of Death [Difficulty 3]
    You killed them. You remember it very vividly. Make them remember it, too.
    8. Ignore All This, Get Up, And Walk Out The Door [Difficulty 2]
    This was a foolish waste of everyone’s time. Brush yourself off and leave the room by any means necessary.
    9.Write In [Difficulty ?]
---
New mechanics here - you can Burn any number of dice to get an auto-6 on the it for that action. If you Burn a die, you can't actually fail that action - you will succeed regardless, but higher rolls will have additional effects. Burned die are gone, though, you'll have to build them up through Momentum later. You can always suggest Burning through the write in, even if you just want to attach it to another option.

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 8, 2016

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

9. Learn healing, so we can repeat it later.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Nyaa posted:

9. Learn healing, so we can repeat it later.

You'll heal automatically eventually, but it requires a peaceful moment (and probably a drop in Momentum) to do it properly. You of course already know how to heal, and you can always write it a healing option, but you probably want to do something active and have healing be a part of it - vampiric healing, for example, or pulling in surrounding materials to fix your broken bits. Regardless, healing isn't something you need to concern yourself about unless it's a REALLY bad injury (in which case I'll flag that as important)

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Instant Healing/Full Recovery

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

9. Launch sharp chair splinters through the wall into One's eyes.

Olive! fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 8, 2016

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

9. Launch sharp chair splinters through One's eyes.

He's not in the room right now, but that doesn't mean you can't: you'll just fire them through the wall - Difficulty 3.

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Confusion As a Natural State of Being
This timeline doesn't need to matter. Momentum matters, and dice matter. They carry over, so there's no point in spending them unless we think we're actually going to 'win,' or if we're trading them for something else that will persist, like some valuable intel.

Aabcehmu fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 8, 2016

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

I realized that just after I posted :v:

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
1 or 2. gently caress you, guy!

7. I killed you guys once, you know. :smug:

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.
9. Wake up in our lab. Our wheelchair clicking below as we type in the coordinates of our lost avatar. Prepping another for the rescue attempt.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Aabcehmu posted:

This timeline doesn't need to matter. Momentum matters, and dice matter. They carry over, so there's no point in spending them unless we think we're actually going to 'win,' or if we're trading them for something else that will persist, like some valuable intel.

This guy gets it

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

If I can offer a suggestion (which you are free to ignore), maybe more difficult options could be rewarded with more momentum? As it stands, it feels like there's not much incentive not to always go with the easiest choice that still gains momentum.

e: I do like the game/story and I plan to keep engaging with it regardless, though. Keep it up. :)

Olive! fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 8, 2016

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

If I can offer a suggestion (which you are free to ignore), maybe more difficult options could be rewarded with more momentum? As it stands, it feels like there's not much incentive not to always go with the easiest choice that still gains momentum.

Probably true! How about every Difficulty level above your own gives you +1? Even with 2d6+5 vs 3d6 you still have a chance to lose, after all. Maybe you can't gain Momentum from lower level options, too, and below that it starts dropping it?

edit: And thanks for the kudos re: game and story - I have no plans for it at all and came up with the entirety of it like two days ago when I was doing dishes so I'm pleasantly surprised it hasn't crashed and burned yet!

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
We've crashed into the floor and burned from a grenade though. Clearly the healthier the thread is, the worse off Nisa gets.

And I think we should go for

Turn into smoke. Let's see them punch and shoot us now!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Short of another vote by tomorrow morning, I'll be going with 8 so we can keep things rollin' along.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

You bite back your pain and rage and let them walk away. Let them take their fool friend away and leave you here - you’d find them later if you needed to, but you were sick to death of this room. You painfully slid out of the ropes and limped to the door, your knee slow in knitting itself together. You grabbed the handle and twisted, trying to break the lock.

2d6 = 3 vs. 2d6 = 6 [Momentum Lost!] (Allllrighty, gonna move this along anyhow, but yikes!)

With a soft grunt, you managed to turn the handle slightly before it stuck. Incredulous that a simple metal room was able to hold you, and frustrated beyond belief, you kicked the door and shook the handle until you felt something come loose. They musn’t have locked the door properly on their way out. Whatever, you’d take what you could get.

You limped into the hallway, trailing blood, and walked away from the direction you heard them go, down the hall where you had first found and killed them. The memory of it made you feel a little better, but the trail of blood behind you didn’t. It wouldn’t take a genius to figure out where you had gone, and you were already weak. You needed a plan, and a good one. Or at least a gun, though that would probably be tough to find on a civilian cargo ship - besides the ones in the mercenaries’ hands, obviously. You kept walking, for the moment unmolested, until you found a sign splitting your path.
    1. Upper Deck
    Some fresh air would be nice - and maybe up there all you’d have to deal with would be regular sailors and workers.
    2. Cargo Bay
    You hadn’t the foggiest idea what this ship was carrying (besides you), but odds are there’d be something down there you could use.
    3. Engine
    You’d never seen an engine on a ship like this before. Might be worth a look, though you suspected there’d be guards there. Wouldn’t want their precious cargo to be left at the mercy of sabotage, after all!
    4. Mess Hall
    That direction was familiar - because you’d died there, crouched behind a table. You suspected that it would probably be a little less crowded there, what with the lack of ghostly wails playing through their radios sending them into a panic.
As you considered that, you had other things to deal with. Like your knee, for instance. It hurt like hell, but you had a strange relationship with pain now. It was more like a pesky alert on your phone - distracting and insistent, but ultimately not stopping you from going about your business. Your leg had healed enough that you could put weight on it, but it still oozed blood with every step, and you’d left quite a trail behind you. Should you maybe, uh, look into that?
    5. Heal Up [Difficulty 1, Momentum +0]
    You focus for a second and seal the wound. Any bullet fragments in there will be ejected, and you’ll be right as rain in an instant. Doesn’t help with the trail, but whatever.
    6. Erase The Blood [Difficulty 1, Momentum +0]
    Wipe the blood away, leaving no trace of your passage. It’ll stall them for a moment, anyhow. Hopefully your janky leg won’t leak too much longer, but you can tie it off if need be.
    7. Reconstitute Yourself [Difficulty 2, Momentum +1]
    Your blood rises from the floor and flies towards you, flooding back into your wounded leg and revitalizing it. Two birds with one stone, ha!
    8. Blood Hazard [Difficulty 3, Momentum +2]
    They want your blood? They can have it! Your wounded knee erupts with a great flood of blood, soaking the walls and floors around you, before sealing itself. The blood begins to ripple and move of its own volition, setting a trap for those who may follow you.
    9. Cloud Of Insects [Difficulty 3, Momentum +2]
    Your blood peels off the floor in flakes, drifting around as though pushed by a strange wind. A low humming comes from the cloud, revealing it to be a dense swarm of blood red insects. The insects will patrol the hall and attack whoever approaches.
    10. Acid Blood [Difficulty 4, Momentum +3]
    You set your blood boiling within your body and without, and it begins melting through the floor. Until you lose Momentum, any injury caused to you will cause you to spray your acid blood over the surrounding area. (Including the injury that causes you to lose Momentum)
    11. Write In [Difficulty ?]

---
As you can see, I've implemented those changes I mentioned earlier, which will hopefully incentivize a little bit of risk. Broadly, same level difficulty gets you +1 Momentum, one level below you gets you +0 Momentum, and anything beyond that increases the magnitude of the change by +1 per step.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

2 is for loot

11: If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Animate this unbeatable goddamn door as our trusty servant to beat up every goon on this ship. It's clearly way tougher than we are at any rate :v:

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Theantero posted:

11: If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Animate this unbeatable goddamn door as our trusty servant to beat up every goon on this ship. It's clearly way tougher than we are at any rate :v:

Haha! Difficulty 3, Momentum +2

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

2 11

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Theantero posted:

2 is for loot

DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.

Theantero posted:

2 is for loot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

You had just begun to make your way down to the Cargo Bay when you stop, suddenly thoughtful. That drat door would be a worthy ally - and it would be highly satisfactory to watch an animated door crush One into paste. You reached out with your mind, explaining to the door that it ought to look like this and move like this.

2d6 = 7 vs. 2d6 = 8 [Momentum Lost!]

The door disagreed. From down the hallway, the door creaked and grinded against the wall, subtly warped by your interference. Well, screw you too, door! Limping down the stairs, you made your way towards the mystery cargo. You hoped fervently that someone was smuggling bandaids or hamburgers.

-O-
The cargo bay was cavernous, but packed almost to the ceiling with metal shipping containers of various sizes. You estimated the largest one could hold several cars, while the smaller ones scattered about looked like they were chiefly international food shipments. The bay was subdivided by catwalks into three levels, patrolled by sleepy looking security guards and a smattering of workers. No one looked especially concerned that a dangerous prisoner had gotten loose, so either they weren’t with the mercenaries or - more likely - that your absence hadn’t been noted. But with the door mangled and the trail of blood leading down here, it wouldn’t take them too long to put the pieces together. Hopefully you’d have some time to do some shopping first.
    1. Look For Guns [Difficulty 2, Momentum +1]
    This was a civilian ship, but there was turmoil all over the world. You quickly scan the containers for weaponry to help you out. It wasn’t as though you were helpless without guns, but not having to depend entirely on your powers would be nice.
    2. Look For Armor [Difficulty 2, Momentum +1]
    Getting shot sucks. They’d stripped you down to jeans and a t-shirt before they locked you up in here, and neither of them seemed to be doing a great job of protecting you. Also, they were bloody and starting to smell a little gross.
    3. Look For Chemicals [Difficulty 2, Momentum +1]
    A whole lot of stuff would be easier if you had access to raw, volatile chemicals. Maybe they’re shipping biohazards or radioactive stuff. Maybe just a bunch of fuel. You can make use of it, whatever it is.
    4. Look For Treasure [Difficulty 2, Momentum +1]
    Honestly, you’re not too concerned about your situation. You died: you came back. You got shot in the knee: look, it’s almost back to normal. No, what would really be awesome would be finding some sort of treasure. Something priceless you could sell or barter when you got out of here. It’s not like you couldn’t just generate money from thin air, but it’s nice to work for your cash, you know?
    5. Collapse The Waveform [Difficulty 3, Momentum +2]
    Why bother looking? There’s a container right beside you. You don’t know what’s in it. Why, anything could be inside! It could even be… (What? It can be anything you want (that would conceivably be shipped in a crate, so no naked singularities, Theantero!)
    6. Prepare Your Army [Difficulty 4, Momentum +3]
    You sing a siren song, hooking your will into the hapless workers and security guards. They’ll defend you to the death with whatever they’ve got.
    7.Write In [Difficulty ?]

• Locked thread