Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Panama Red posted:

Recently switched to TMobile for the Unlimited One plan. Just saw this today: http://www.businessinsider.com/t-mobile-fcc-reach-48-million-settlement-unlimited-data-plans-2016-10

How bothered should I be with this? Do I have to be using an insane amount of data for my connection to slow to a crawl?

I believe the softcap for T-Mobile is 21 gigs for them to really hate you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

hiddenriverninja posted:

I believe the softcap for T-Mobile is 21 gigs for them to really hate you.
Yep, I know from experience. It sucks hard but eh that's a lotta gigs. Binge On helps if you have that option though.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Google Pixel seriously making me consider switching to GoogleFi. How easy is my not-a-contract-but-a-JUMP-phone to turn back in and cancel without having to pay anything if my phone is in good condition :v:

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Quidthulhu posted:

Google Pixel seriously making me consider switching to GoogleFi. How easy is my not-a-contract-but-a-JUMP-phone to turn back in and cancel without having to pay anything if my phone is in good condition :v:

In order to jump and trade in your phone you have to buy a phone. So jump to the least expensive phone and then return it and pay the restock fee.

Edit:Auto correct

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Panama Red posted:

Recently switched to TMobile for the Unlimited One plan. Just saw this today: http://www.businessinsider.com/t-mobile-fcc-reach-48-million-settlement-unlimited-data-plans-2016-10

How bothered should I be with this? Do I have to be using an insane amount of data for my connection to slow to a crawl?

Depends on what you do. If you're a power user you basically are being charged for the poo poo sandwich. If you don't watch videos on your phone all day you're probably ok. You're speed capped immediately on multimedia and anything tmo thinks is multimedia which is why it's not a real unlimited plan but even more speed limited should you hit the cap, which again most non power users won't. Realistic total of tmo customers that are power users data wise : 30-50%. People send lots of photos and do lots of multimedia stuff these days.

Think of this like being told you can drive unlimited but can't go above 30mph and if you hit 700 miles driven in a month your speed limit is 1.5mph.

Sadly, every other us carrier is worse.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Is there any way to check to see if T-Mobile has good coverage in a specific area? Kind of a goofy question I know but i might be able to be the freebie 4th person on the One plan if not for the doubts of the potential customer that they'll get good reception in their area of upstate New York. I want to recommend the plan to her but i don't want her to get stuck with worse phone service on contract.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

net cafe scandal posted:

Is there any way to check to see if T-Mobile has good coverage in a specific area? Kind of a goofy question I know but i might be able to be the freebie 4th person on the One plan if not for the doubts of the potential customer that they'll get good reception in their area of upstate New York. I want to recommend the plan to her but i don't want her to get stuck with worse phone service on contract.

Before i switched I bought the cheapest prepaid T-Mobile phone I could and just called 611 a bunch from it without activating it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Do they still do the 7-day iPhone loan?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
So I bought a Moto G4 under the (mistaken?) belief that wifi calling was built into Marshmallow and would work with any carrier that supports it. But I cannot find an option to turn it on. Instructions via google are:

Open the Phone app on your device .
Tap More Settings.
Tap Calls.
Tap Wi-Fi calling on. If you don't see this option, it's because your carrier doesn't support this feature.

I don't have "more settings"

When I instead google Moto g4 wifi calling I find a lot of posts implying it doesn't support wifi calling but nothing really definitive. Even in reviews I find some saying it doesn't support it, some saying it does. WTF. I am going to call tmobile but in my experience it takes more than one call to find someone who knows what they are talking about.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
It's built into Marshmallow for Nexus devices, which those are instructions are specifically on a Nexus help page. Things like the Moto G4 are responsible for implementing it themselves for their special snowflake changes.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
T-Mobile added Simple Choice plans with unlimited data to the Pixel offer, so I was able to claim it. After verifying my eligibility with their support folks, I went to their promotions site and used promo code PIXEL, put in my IMEI and uploaded my receipt from the Google store, and I was done.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
This also includes people who were on 6 and 10gb plans that got free upgrades to unlimited till feb 2019

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Can I simply pay off the EIP balance of my G4 that's on Jump! to keep it? I just recently did the V20 deal.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Any idea why I'm getting such lovely speeds on my iPhone 6 in Chicago?

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/1843777025

Ridiculous... restarted my phone and everything.

My wife's phone gets 22 up 12 down sitting right next to me on an iPhone SE

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 4, 2016

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Astro7x posted:

Any idea why I'm getting such lovely speeds on my iPhone 6 in Chicago?

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/1843777025

Ridiculous... restarted my phone and everything.

My wife's phone gets 22 up 12 down sitting right next to me on an iPhone SE

Have you used a lot of data this bill cycle? Dial #932# and let us know how much data you have used?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Kreeblah posted:

T-Mobile added Simple Choice plans with unlimited data to the Pixel offer, so I was able to claim it. After verifying my eligibility with their support folks, I went to their promotions site and used promo code PIXEL, put in my IMEI and uploaded my receipt from the Google store, and I was done.

So what is the order of stuff here? I tried to do the promo thing and keep getting weird messages saying my phone number/pin are not active.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Burden posted:

Have you used a lot of data this bill cycle? Dial #932# and let us know how much data you have used?

My billing cycle just restarted. I've used 45MB of data.

I assume it's just network congestion that is causing the slowdown.

CDW
Aug 26, 2004
Could have been some parade related to a recent event

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I was at a T mobile store last night and they had a poster saying that they consider >26 gb as high use and grounds for speed capping.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Can you tether a device with Nerd Plan to another device for free, or is there an additional cost?

I have a 2Mbps conection through Time Warner that I pay $15/month for, and if I could just use the Nerd Plan for $30 for both phone and computer data instead, that would be super

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
For the pixel deal, do they want your current phone's IMEI or the pixel's (when you receive it)?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

The pixels

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

EugeneJ posted:

Can you tether a device with Nerd Plan to another device for free, or is there an additional cost?

I have a 2Mbps conection through Time Warner that I pay $15/month for, and if I could just use the Nerd Plan for $30 for both phone and computer data instead, that would be super

Yes, up to your data limit. Once you hit the limit tethering stops working. Note that this is only their current policy and it has changed in the past (you used to only get 100 megs of tethering per billing cycle).

Also, Binge On and Music Freedom work with both the nerd plan and tethering so sites/services those apply to don't count towards your data cap, even when tethering.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Nov 5, 2016

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

hiddenriverninja posted:

I was at a T mobile store last night and they had a poster saying that they consider >26 gb as high use ...

I can see that. Our family of four with two teenagers has rarely gone over 8gb combined. I'm on wifi most of the time so that helps. The schools have wifi which also helps.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mr.Radar posted:

Yes, up to your data limit. Once you hit the limit tethering stops working. Note that this is only their current policy and it has changed in the past (you used to only get 100 megs of tethering per billing cycle).

Also, Binge On and Music Freedom work with both the nerd plan and tethering so sites/services those apply to don't count towards your data cap, even when tethering.

So if Nerd Plan has a 5gb cap that throttles down to 256kbps speed or whatever once you've used 5gb, you're saying that I can still use the slower speed on my phone, but not via tethering - correct?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Mr.Radar posted:

Pretty sure binge on is not unlimited data for the nerd plan. It just gives you lower quality video but counts against your data cap (although it will generally count less than if you had been watching 720p video for obvious reasons)

Music freedom def works though.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

EugeneJ posted:

So if Nerd Plan has a 5gb cap that throttles down to 256kbps speed or whatever once you've used 5gb, you're saying that I can still use the slower speed on my phone, but not via tethering - correct?

As far as I know that's correct.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Pretty sure binge on is not unlimited data for the nerd plan. It just gives you lower quality video but counts against your data cap (although it will generally count less than if you had been watching 720p video for obvious reasons)

Music freedom def works though.

I'm on the nerd plan and I just streamed a short Youtube video on my phone over LTE and it counted as "on-network data" but not as part of my "unlimited plan" (according to #932#). I'm pretty sure that's how it shows up when it doesn't count towards your data cap, though I've never come close to hitting my data cap so I guess I can't say for sure.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 5, 2016

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

On network data is the stuff that counts toward your limit.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

On network data is the stuff that counts toward your limit.

No, "on network" number tracks the total amount of data you have used on T-Mobile's network. The "unlimited plan" number is what counts against your data limit. They show both because the "on network" number is what they use to decide when to deprioritize your data. Source (sorry I couldn't find a better one, this apparently isn't officially documented anywhere).

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
Guess I'm going to try the Nougat beta for Galaxy S7 Hopefully my phone won't brick within 3 weeks of owning it.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

notwithoutmyanus posted:

So what is the order of stuff here? I tried to do the promo thing and keep getting weird messages saying my phone number/pin are not active.

I got that when I mistyped my phone number. But, order the phone while the promo's running, and then submit the form once you get it (since you need to include the IMEI of the Pixel).

Also, for anybody who's curious, on the status page for the promo (for one that's already submitted), it says the dates for it (for putting in an order, which is the date they go off of) are 10/4/2016 - 11/30/2016.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
I was on the Nerd Plan for a few years and recently switched to Fi, transferring my number along the way. Just got a text from TMo saying that my plan would renew in a few days? Previous experience with cell companies was that transferring would just nuke the old account straightaway; do I need to do something to actually cancel with T-Mobile?

e: Never mind, twenty minutes later I got a text saying auto-pay was cancelled :toot:

Deathlove fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 7, 2016

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Deathlove posted:

I was on the Nerd Plan for a few years and recently switched to Fi, transferring my number along the way. Just got a text from TMo saying that my plan would renew in a few days? Previous experience with cell companies was that transferring would just nuke the old account straightaway; do I need to do something to actually cancel with T-Mobile?

e: Never mind, twenty minutes later I got a text saying auto-pay was cancelled :toot:

Yeah, I had the same thing happened. I called TMobile and they were confused cause they couldn't find any sign that I ever had an account with them.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

How do you like GoogleFi after switching from T-mo? Is there a GoogleFi thread? I'm thinking about doing the same even though I just switched to T-Mo in July. I like them but my bill is too high.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Quidthulhu posted:

How do you like GoogleFi after switching from T-mo? Is there a GoogleFi thread? I'm thinking about doing the same even though I just switched to T-Mo in July. I like them but my bill is too high.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3747918

So far, so good - I'm in Chicago metro, so, really, any of the big carriers are going to have the area pretty well blanketed, but adding two more lines and wanting to streamline billing a bit necessitated a change from T-Mo prepaid.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

If my wife and I both have phones with Jump on Demand and we want to leave tmobile, do we have to turn in our phones AND pay the remaining months on the lease?

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Tiny Lowtax posted:

If my wife and I both have phones with Jump on Demand and we want to leave tmobile, do we have to turn in our phones AND pay the remaining months on the lease?

Just jump to the cheapest phone that Tmobile offers on Jump On Demand , return it and pay the restocking fee.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

Burden posted:

Just jump to the cheapest phone that Tmobile offers on Jump On Demand , return it and pay the restocking fee.

Exactly what this person said. Also the best way to get INto t-mo with carrier freedom

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm getting a Pixel soon, but also have a phone on lease. Should I do the same thing with Jump On Demand to return the phone or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

Mr E posted:

I'm getting a Pixel soon, but also have a phone on lease. Should I do the same thing with Jump On Demand to return the phone or what?

Just do the contract buyout and/or trade in the phone but they give poo poo for trade-in credit.