Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

I'm writing an modern fantasy series. The first one's been done for a while and I'm working on the second. Is there any reason to finish the second one before putting the first one out? Do people ever put out two at once?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
I'd wait at least a month between releases. You get a discoverability boost for the first 30 days or so, and longer you have a book in that grace period, the better.

I just publish as soon as I'm done.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

How do you do, fellow kids?

Long time lurker and previous denizen of CC here (you may know/loathe me for being involved with A Game of Bones, or for the snippets of Song of Ice and Wire crossovers).

I finally took the plunge as well and decided to self-publish a set of three short stories that make up a larger framework of an idea I had years ago. Yeah, I know, short fiction doesn't sell that well. But I am not a marketing-first kind of writer guy (also, being back in school for a career change gets in the way).

At any rate, I had the idea for this particular series several years ago and had been writing a short story every Halloween previous to it. I thought to combine them, but also to start something new.

Fast forward a few years later, with several moves, a return to school, and a breakup (two, actually...) inbetween, and I finally got off my rear end and made a website, got a cover done up, procrastinated another year, and finally released this week.

I used draft2digital and it made my hours and hours spent trying to format a .doc with Calibre and by hand with HTML a completely trivial task. I modified the epub preview they gave and resubmitted it for processing, as well as uploaded that copy to Amazon kdp.

That was Sunday night. As of today, all my selected vendors have the book live. Incredible.

My cover was done my the inimitable asylum years, if he's still around.

The stories themselves are supernatural/horror fiction, and by anthologizing the whole thing, I hope to not only cover more creative ground, but to eventually open this thing up to collaborators.

Thanks for all the advice and tales of your work, all!

Feel free to spread some links:

https://books2read.com/u/mvYWWl
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M3U24MJ

If you twit, I'm attempting to use that too:

https://twitter.com/PenumbraBen

Feel free to PM or tweet or whatever if you feel like commiserating or if you want to do a review exchange or something similar. Cheers!

SaviourX fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 25, 2016

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop
I'm a few days away from being ready to send my new MS to my editor, and my artist is already working on a cover. I've already sent her the first scene though, because I want to upload that somewhere as a sneak preview on Halloween. The problem I have is that I don't have anywhere to host it - no website or anything. It's 4,500 words, so it's too long to just post on Facebook or wherever (and, let's face it, that wouldn't be ideal anyway.) Does anyone have any bright ideas about where I can put it up that would present the least hassle for my readers? I'm guessing making it a .pdf would probably be best, but I could make it into a .mobi or whatever as well. Any suggestions would be welcome. I suppose I could just use Dropbox - but I always get very paranoid when sharing stuff from Dropbox!

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Wattpad?

Livejournal?

Medium?

Tumblr?

Blogspot?

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop
Ooh, Wattpad's a good idea, thanks! I don't really want to start a blog just for one entry, but Wattpad should do nicely. Cheers for the suggestion!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Flopstick posted:

Ooh, Wattpad's a good idea, thanks! I don't really want to start a blog just for one entry, but Wattpad should do nicely. Cheers for the suggestion!

You can also be a balla and dump a sample chapter into an epub file :colbert:

not worth it unless you're tech savvy

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
Hey thread, lurker here. Posting here to let you know that I published my first novel.

Ove Hakon: The Storm To Fault is a story about power and revenge. A man emerges from a hole in the ground on the modern-day Faroe Islands and has only one thing on his mind: to find a woman named Dereliss. He has the supernatural power of flight, among others, to help him realize his goal.

The cover art's by the talented Gábor Csigás, as recommended by this very thread.

Thanks for listening. Hope it works out!

Halbey
Dec 9, 2009
Here is a collection of creepy stories from a goon or possibly two. Sales SMASHED my Halloween expectations, meaning I thought people would buy it and then they did not. I just like writing, though, and wanted to share, so here is $0.99 worth of short stories!

Memento mori means “Remember death.” The four short stories in this book preach that even in an age of convenience and comfort, death is ever-present and inevitable. Visit a rural town hiding something sinister in "The Red Wall". Root for a frustrated middle-management drone make something out of his life in "Self Help". Walk through the piney woods of East Texas in "There is a House". Decide whether we all get what we deserve in "Reck: Part 1".

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/674766
https://www.amazon.com/Memento-Mori-Joseph-R-Halbert-ebook/dp/B01MDT7EMJ/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1478260875&sr=1-1 (This should be $0.99 at some point today instead of whatever it's listed as now.]

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I'm done with my first book and ready to move into the actual publishing phase. Is there an updated list of good resources for buying a cover? The OP is quite old by now.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

freebooter posted:

I'm done with my first book and ready to move into the actual publishing phase. Is there an updated list of good resources for buying a cover? The OP is quite old by now.

It will depend a lot on the genre

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

freebooter posted:

I'll do your romance cover for $100. Steal of a deal! I covered a #1 Amazon bestseller and also a #2 for Sean and also a bunch of other top 100 covers. And I'm out of the writing game for now but I still like doing covers so hit me up if that's in your budget range: moana.evans@gmail.com

I will also tell you if your cover idea sucks and is bad, and most other cover designers don't offer that service :v:

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Zombie apocalypse horror?

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Halbey posted:

Here is a collection of creepy stories from a goon or possibly two. Sales SMASHED my Halloween expectations, meaning I thought people would buy it and then they did not. I just like writing, though, and wanted to share, so here is $0.99 worth of short stories!

This sounds up my alley and cool and rad and so is the cover, so well done. Sold!

moana
Jun 18, 2005

freebooter posted:

Zombie apocalypse horror?
What's the title?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

When I first wrote it years and years ago it was a serial called End Times, now I've re-edited it and want to publish it as a series. For this first one I've settled on End Times: Rise of the Undead, because "Rise of the Undead" only appears to have been used once before for a straight-to-video horror movie in 2005. (A lot of better titles I can think of are already in use).

I'm not wedded to "End Times" as a title for the series as a whole, especially since it seems strongly associated with Christianity and Revelations etc on the internet, but I can't think of anything particularly more compelling either.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

made you a thing, let me know if you want it. If you want to try to recreate it yourself the font is nexa, stock photo from depositphotos.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

moana posted:

And I'm out of the writing game for now

Really curious about why, if you're willing to share.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

because of this stupid babby I made:

I just don't have the brain energy to devote to writing, and I never wanted to do it forever - 25 novels is enough for me! I made almost a million dollars in the past four years and that's good enough for at least a semi-retirement to take care of the kiddo for awhile :)

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

moana posted:

made you a thing, let me know if you want it. If you want to try to recreate it yourself the font is nexa, stock photo from depositphotos.

Thanks, I like it - will tinker with the title a bit and change it to my pen name. I have this idea in my head that a book needs a super distinctive cover, and have to keep reminding myself the piece of advice I heard that by far the most important thing is that it gives off the right genre vibe when looked at as a thumbnail alongside dozens of others.

And a million dollars? Wow. Wow. I'd be happy if I could just shave a bit off my monthly rental bill.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

moana posted:

because of this stupid babby I made:

I just don't have the brain energy to devote to writing, and I never wanted to do it forever - 25 novels is enough for me! I made almost a million dollars in the past four years and that's good enough for at least a semi-retirement to take care of the kiddo for awhile :)

But look how happy he is that you're writing!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Congrats, moana!

Also just wanted to echo Bardeh's contractor pain from the last page. :sigh:

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

You guys think us full timers will have affordable healthcare next year?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

angel opportunity posted:

You guys think us full timers will have affordable healthcare next year?

Ha.

:negative:

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
For some bizarre reason, Kindle Unlimited has launched in Australia. Amazon.com.au only sells ebooks, so I guess if you see a strange spike in earnings from Australia it's probably a bunch of people jumping on the month's free trial, because why not, free books for a month.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Be aware everyone due to an orange STD being our next president.... our sales this month won't look great. At least that's a main theory from a lot of pretty big romance authors. Judging by the way the markets are looking, id say that's a good hunch.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

LionArcher posted:

Be aware everyone due to an orange STD being our next president.... our sales this month won't look great. At least that's a main theory from a lot of pretty big romance authors. Judging by the way the markets are looking, id say that's a good hunch.

You're saying that a predominantly female audience isn't going to be interested in escapism right now?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Benson Cunningham posted:

You're saying that a predominantly female audience isn't going to be interested in escapism right now?

I think they will be, but it will take till December. Either way, good luck with us paying for healthcare! Gotta adjust my budget to include how much more I'll have to pay.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I'm at like, 500 pages read the last 2 days. What the hell? The election is killing me.

It's even worse than Halloween.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
Any advice for someone writing a mystery/detective novel? It's not something I see talked about here at all. It seems just behind romance in terms of numbers moved, and I think I've done enough research to write to market well enough (it has is own stable of conventions and expectations, just like romance) but unlike a lot of other genres out there, there's not a huge public indie scene for it. I don't have PM's if you don't to chat publically but you can track me at dasleah at gmail . com if you want.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Advice is pretty much the same. Write series. Audiences skew older, so older protagonists may be a good idea. There's no magic bullet, though, and the audience demands something that could have been predicted but isn't. Or at least mine does.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
If anyone is in need of editing services, I have a few slots left before the end of the year. Or you can book for early next year. I don't have PM here so send an email to booksidemanner at gmail.

nikochansan
Feb 11, 2014
I'm writing a short children's novel and in order to get into the flow of it, I've been writing a shorter story in the same format.

My original plan was to "sell (was gonna list it as PWYW)" the shorter story on Gumroad and get feedback from that to use towards the first book, but Gumroad doesn't use reviews. Would it be garish to dedicate a page at the end like "Thank you for reading, there's more to come soon and if you liked what you read, don't hesitate to tell me at (my email).

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Like Aaronicon, I'm also considering writing mystery and crime fiction. I think I'd like to try something with a humorous bent to it, like the works of Elmore Leonard and Carl Hiaasen. I'm trying to do some research on the market, but I can't even figure out if that's a specific genre. Amazon seems to categorize their books in different--but nearly identical--genres. Can anyone point me towards an understanding of Amazon's categories and how the ranks within them work? I'd love to have a clearer sense of the size of this market before I commit myself.

e: I should add that I've learned a lot of useful stuff about Amazon ranks by reading older posts in this thread, like the relative significance within a category of #100 vs #1,000 vs #10,000. But I still haven't got a good sense of how different categories compare to each other in market size or why books that seem similar to me are in completely different, but similar-sounding, categories.

Steely Dad fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Nov 14, 2016

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I have been sitting here for three hours trying to write a blurb and I never thought it would be this hard.

Space Taxi
Oct 31, 2016
I've written a few blurbs for my satire novel. Do any of these look like they would work as a blurb?

Blurb #1 posted:

While Dustin Fowler is slacking off at his job at the Fresh ‘n Tasty supermarket (which he hates), he gets a visit from George Miles, a biotechnologist, who asks him about Grace Wheeler, an obese customer that Dustin delivers groceries to. George insists he’s not a fat fetishist (even though Dustin never asked) and the two are drawn into a struggle to uncover what happened to Grace after she ate that last delivery of food. While they strive to uncover the mystery, they have to deal with Rupert Riley, Dustin’s supervisor, who’s obsession with a radio personality devolves from a bit obsessive to almost certainly felonious; Craig Shearer, the rockstar cooking celebrity, who is in rehab more than he’s in the kitchen; Miss Wong, a full service masseuse and expert in kung fu; and a GMO seed inspector that does dirty business on the side for a high flying CEO trying to keep the lid on a scandal that threatens his company and the planet.

Grace’s husband isn’t saying what happened, but that might have something to do with the bruises on his face.

Blurb #2 posted:

Dustin Fowler, a young grocery delivery driver, hates his boring job. When he delivers a box of toaster pastries containing genetically engineered corn, he discovers that they cause mutations in the public that threaten the country and the world. With the help of a genetic engineer that worked on the project, Dustin uncovers the people behind the mutations and tries to stop them before everyone is infected.

Blurb #3 posted:

Dustin Fowler, a twenty-one year old grocery delivery driver, and George Miles, a biotechnologist working for the world’s largest biotech corporation, discover a problem with a strain of genetically modified corn that has been on the market for over a year. As they fight against the corporation to expose the danger to the nation, they uncover a larger conspiracy that threatens the entire world.

Along the way, the pair has to deal with a world turning insane: terrorist wristware, inflatable farm equipment, a woman following her dream to become the world’s fattest person and Tolkien-themed Pyramid schemes all stand in their path to save everyone from a monstrous fate.

Space Taxi fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Nov 14, 2016

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

OK, working blurb. Zombie apocalypse, first volume in a series, title is Rise of the Undead:

quote:

New Year's Day; midsummer in Australia. In Perth, twin brothers Aaron and Matt have graduated high school and are enjoying their last few weeks of freedom before adulthood - while on the other side of the country, something has fallen from the sky, heralding the dawn of a new age...

As a terrifying plague spreads across Australia and the world, Aaron and Matt find themselves scrambling to survive, fleeing the city, refugees in their own country. Tormented by strange dreams and beset by violence, they must struggle to find the remnants of their family and survive the Rise of the Undead.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Space Taxi posted:

I've written a few blurbs for my satire novel. Do any of these look like they would work as a blurb?

Blurb 1

Don't use parentheses in a blurb like this. This reads like a laundry list of zany characters and by the last paragraph, I don't remember which one Grace is. If you are ever having to mark your lists off with semicolons in a blurb, you know you are laundry-listing.

There's a lot of words here but I don't really know what the story is about. All I got is that it's zany. Like, I understand that you mention a mystery, but it's totally drowned out by the zany list of people.

Blurb 2

This blurb is better to me in that it makes it quite clear what the story is and what it is about. It, however, sounds really loving boring. I wouldn't want to read this story, and it gives no hint you are doing a satire/zany thing. Just having read these two blurbs, I'd almost want you to be 65-70% Blurb 2, 30% Blurb 1 so that I know what the story is actually about but can also get an idea what the tone of the book is.

Blurb 3

This blurb is kind of hitting the ratio right but it needs work. You have really extraneous and boring poo poo in there like "for over a year." I hesitate to even say this, but the "fight the corporation" thing just SOUNDS boring as hell. It's a long-existing trope and you see tons of movies pulling it off and making it compelling, so maybe there is just a way to phrase it so it doesn't sound dull as poo poo.

The second paragraph--for me--is about the level of "zany" that I actually prefer here. Blurb 1 was just so over the top I had no interest at all, but the line "a woman following her dream to become the world’s fattest person" and "and Tolkien-themed Pyramid schemes" are just about the right level of interest grab that works for me. The stuff you listed off here is just enough without becoming ridiculous.

I'd look for second opinions because I would never want to actually read this book no matter how good the blurb was, so I'm not your target audience, but Blurb 3 is looking best to me to keep polishing.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Still tinkering with a blurb, this is honestly so much loving harder than actually writing a book:

quote:

New Year's resolution: keep a journal.

Aaron King writes these words at the brink of his adult life: a long, hot summer between high school and university, lazing on the beach or playing video games with his twin brother Matt.
But this will be no normal year. A terrifying plague is spreading across Australia, transforming people into ravenous monsters. Quarantines and curfews and evacuations are ordered; but day by day, the threads of society fray more and more.

As communication networks fail, as the power goes out, as the government collapses and the streets become awash with zombies, Aaron and Matt find themselves plunged into an apocalyptic struggle for life and death. Swept up in a tide of desperate refugees, beset by violence and haunted by strange dreams, the King brothers are about to find out exactly what it will take to survive the RISE OF THE UNDEAD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
So, a question about ARCs. Who should they go to other than your mailing list? Reviewers? Goodreads contacts? Friends and family? Passerbys on the street because the crazy incoherent guy can't stop ranting about publishing? I'm aiming to get the second novel at the beginning of next year, and I had a lot of success as a free download, but not many takers on the mailing list. ARCs are one of the things from my last release process that I completely whiffed on, and I don't want to repeat my mistakes.

late edit: While I'm at it, is it worth holding a Bookbub free giveaway once my KDP exclusivity runs out? The book's clearly out of gas at this point, but it might inspire a second wave of interest that I could ride into the next release. idk!

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Nov 19, 2016