Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Christ. My American partner and I were gonna get married in a few years once I was done with my PhD. Now I don't know what the gently caress's going to happen. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Pussy Cartel posted:

Christ. My American partner and I were gonna get married in a few years once I was done with my PhD. Now I don't know what the gently caress's going to happen. :sigh:

my wife and I were going to try for a baby this year. now my wife is in a panic to spend all our money on srs for me so I can change my birth certificate and go stealth.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm prolly gonna move away from the US. I don't know where, though.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Artificer posted:

The people used their power to vote in Trump which no corporation or expert or what have you wanted.

According to the current vote counts, the people voted in Clinton by about 200k. The Elector College is explicitly antidemocratic in nature.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Mister Olympus posted:

Hahahahahahaha

They only think it makes more money so long as it looks like public opinion is in their favor. US Corporations didn't care about selling to the Nazis until the US declared war.

The Trump presidency is an announcement that hate is okay for everyone. I'm ready for the entire US infrastructure being pointed directly towards the actual genocide of all of us

People aren't going to suddenly start hating gays because Trump won, especially since Trump never even says anything bad about gays. Things are going to suck in the short term but there's no way the long trend towards LGBT acceptance is going to suddenly reverse itself.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well, the G part may have some inertia, at least.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

MaxxBot posted:

Trump never even says anything bad about gays
Pence otoh...

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Yea reminder the Vice President passed a religious freedom law and said this

“Congress should oppose any effort to recognize homosexual’s as a ‘discreet and insular minority’ entitled to the protection of anti-discrimination laws similar to those extended to women and ethnic minorities.”

That is something said by someone who is one step away from the President.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

We're at DEFCON 1 here, and no way to deal with it.

Vulpes Vvardenfell
Jan 30, 2011
Isn't it likely Pence is already going to be in charge anyway, while Trump does his job of "Making America Great Again?" It's pretty terrible that I'm thinking that now it might really be true that Donald Trump "is the only one who can save you". Is it?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Pollyanna posted:

We're at DEFCON 1 here, and no way to deal with it.

Yo gently caress off with this fatalistic poo poo. maybe you can pack up and move away, but Im stuck in this country for the forseeable future, so I am going to be finding ways to deal with it and I dont need people constantly repeating about how its all meaningless anyways hail satan

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
It's going to loving suck, but it won't suck as much as it could have. Trump is a giant, narcissistic, child who likes getting his way and throws his weight around when he doesn't. If you think the Republicans can control him or even guide him, you are crazy. He's not a Republican, or a Democrat; he's Trump.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Trump is not who scares me. It's Pence. He's openly anti-LGBT and in power.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
http://www.gallup.com/poll/188657/satisfaction-acceptance-gays-new-high.aspx?g_source=LGBT&g_medium=search&g_campaign=tiles
http://www.pewforum.org/2016/05/12/changing-attitudes-on-gay-marriage/

I don't think marriage is going anywhere (see above) but then again look at Australia. Also, transgender and religious discrimination issues are far more divided.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Trump is not who scares me. It's Pence. He's openly anti-LGBT and in power.

yeah my actual fear is that trump becomes indisposed and pence takes over, the man is vil

i mean this fear is dumb bc we all know trump will leave the actual governing to him anyway, why fear the inevitable right

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Control Volume posted:

Yo gently caress off with this fatalistic poo poo. maybe you can pack up and move away, but Im stuck in this country for the forseeable future, so I am going to be finding ways to deal with it and I dont need people constantly repeating about how its all meaningless anyways hail satan

Holy poo poo that red text :laffo:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Any of you.live in a country outside USA and are single

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

MaxxBot posted:

People aren't going to suddenly start hating gays because Trump won, especially since Trump never even says anything bad about gays. Things are going to suck in the short term but there's no way the long trend towards LGBT acceptance is going to suddenly reverse itself.

You're shockingly optimistic here, considering that:
- "gently caress queers" is an explicit plank of the Republican platform, and the legislation that enables that is written by Congress and interpreted by the courts, all of which are now in Republican hands; all Trump has to do is sign it as it crosses his desk, and
- Mike "torturing gay kids to death is cool and good" Pence is probably going to be doing a lot of the day to day governance and policy work anyways.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Holy poo poo that red text :laffo:

Oh lol I have avatars turned off so I didnt even know. Who is this avatar trying to own anyways, im not smart enough to unravel the layers of irony anymore

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Control Volume posted:

Oh lol I have avatars turned off so I didnt even know. Who is this avatar trying to own anyways, im not smart enough to unravel the layers of irony anymore

Same, fam, same.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Baka-nin posted:

You could all join Unions that have commitments to defend LGBT members from discrimination, I know American Unions have terrible reputations but there's got to be some that aren't. Hell my union the IWW has been very active in adapting to its LGBT members needs over the past couple of years.

Whats a union?

Vulpes Vvardenfell
Jan 30, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

You're shockingly optimistic here, considering that:
- "gently caress queers" is an explicit plank of the Republican platform, and the legislation that enables that is written by Congress and interpreted by the courts, all of which are now in Republican hands; all Trump has to do is sign it as it crosses his desk, and

"gently caress queers?" I had no idea their platform was so pro-LGBT. Good on the Republicans, for finally coming out of the closet.

EDIT: Yeah I know this is a stupid joke.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Filthy Haiku posted:

So, serious question, I am a trans-woman living in texas who just started transitioning a year ago, i'm losing my marketplace provided insurance at the end of the year. I haven't started on my name or marker changes. How hosed am I?

This tweet thread has some pretty good advice: get your password gender changed first. It's quick and lets you start tackling other forms of ID faster.

https://twitter.com/mcclure111/status/796463955703169026

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Vulpes Vvardenfell posted:

"gently caress queers?" I had no idea their platform was so pro-LGBT. Good on the Republicans, for finally coming out of the closet.

EDIT: Yeah I know this is a stupid joke.

Whatever keeps your spirits up. :shrug:

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Trump has been the most LGBT positive republican candidate to date. I would understand this panic if Slime Goblin Ted Cruz has been the candidate but I really don't think Trump has any animus towards the LGBT community, and Vice President is the most toothless position in American politics. I have no doubt that Trump doesn't want to be bothered with the every day minutia of governance but I'm thinking he's going to hand that off more to his personal team of goblins headed by probably Steve Bannon, who is also a huge turd, but not an explicitly anti LGBT one. I have no doubt he'll appoint judges bad for LGBT causes but I think that's as far as Trumps anti-LGBT work goes. Don't forget he's also got "gay traitor" Peter Thiel (who actually did a lot for LGBT causes before everyone started shrieking "traitor" in his face) buzzing in his ear and comes from the New York elite which is piled high with homosexuals. Any republican would have been bad, and Trump is a monster, he's just not a particularly anti-LGBT one so the histrionics probably aren't warranted.

There will be a lot of alt right type trolls crowing about how they're all going to send us to the fabulous gas chambers for a few months though.

Vulpes Vvardenfell
Jan 30, 2011

A Pale Horse posted:

Trump has been the most LGBT positive republican candidate to date. I would understand this panic if Slime Goblin Ted Cruz has been the candidate but I really don't think Trump has any animus towards the LGBT community, and Vice President is the most toothless position in American politics. I have no doubt that Trump doesn't want to be bothered with the every day minutia of governance but I'm thinking he's going to hand that off more to his personal team of goblins headed by probably Steve Bannon, who is also a huge turd, but not an explicitly anti LGBT one. I have no doubt he'll appoint judges bad for LGBT causes but I think that's as far as Trumps anti-LGBT work goes. Don't forget he's also got "gay traitor" Peter Thiel (who actually did a lot for LGBT causes before everyone started shrieking "traitor" in his face) buzzing in his ear and comes from the New York elite which is piled high with homosexuals. Any republican would have been bad, and Trump is a monster, he's just not a particularly anti-LGBT one so the histrionics probably aren't warranted.

There will be a lot of alt right type trolls crowing about how they're all going to send us to the fabulous gas chambers for a few months though.

Thanks for this post. I'm really not sure if you're right, but it does calm my nerves significantly.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Aleph Null posted:

How much of that was from "progressives" not voting for Hillary because she wasn't Bernie?

From the picture thread:

Trump didn't win it, Clinton lost it.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Gorilla Salad posted:

From the picture thread:

No, from the huge turnout drop off not as large as the flawed graph makes it look though I clearly see that "identity politics" won. And "identity politics" is just another way of saying that voter values changed irrevocably and the two main American parties no longer represent them. "Identity politics" is no longer a bad thing, it's just the insulting name the old balance of power gave to the new

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

A Pale Horse posted:

It's not Trump you should be afraid of, it's Pence. Trump has never given a poo poo about anything that does not personally affect him. Mike Pence, not so much.

quote:

“Pence is no Uncle Joe.His record as governor indicates that he is willing to completely undermine the core values of a free country in order to impose his own vision of theocratic control.

While Donald Trump is a bumbling political idiot, Mike Pence is actively against the people and possibilities that we need to help America to have a strong future. His career has been built on hateful exclusion, not intelligent inclusion.

Here are some things that every voter should know about Mike Pence:

- Science and invention helped build America, but Mike Pence is 100% anti-science. He chooses not to accept the preponderance of evidence that supports anthropomorphic climate change, and he thinks schools should be required to teach Christian “creationism” mythology alongside evolution in science classrooms.

- Mike Pence is anti-environment. As governor, he has vetoed every piece of environmental regulation that has crossed his desk. He doesn’t want the EPA to regulate greenhouse gases, and he does want to open up pretty much every part of our country to oil and coal companies. No more wildlands under Pence. He is one of those irresponsible extremists who think that God gave us the world so we could just use it up, and when it is all used up the second coming will occur. There is no Biblical basis for this belief.

- Females make up more than half of the American population, but Mike Pence is anti-woman. He has said the Disney movie “Mulan,” which was based on a centuries old Chinese poem, was the work of a “mischievous liberal” trying to groom young children to accept women in combat. “Despite her delicate features and voice, Disney expects us to believe that Mulan’s ingenuity and courage were enough to carry her to military success on an equal basis,” he wrote on his radio show’s website.

- He obsessively pursues a personal vendetta to take Title X funding away from Planned Parenthood because Planned Parenthood provides abortion services. Title X money CANNOT be used for abortions. Abortions are paid for by the recipient or through private, tagged donations. Taking away Title X will not impact abortion services, but it would leave thousands of women without access to cancer screenings or birth control.

- Speaking of birth control, Mike Pence once again revealed his historical ignorance in saying that condoms are “modern” and “liberal.” He thinks all women should be pregnant unless they can’t afford a baby, in which case they should abstain from sex, even if they are married. That’s right: sex is only for procreation in PenceWorld. If you can’t afford the diapers, then hubby should be sleeping on the couch.

- Mike Pence is also anti-gay, to the point of denial. He doesn’t want the government to pay for cancer screenings, but he does want the government to pay for abusive “conversion therapy” programs that systematically undermine the victim’s self-esteem, and then indoctrinate them into robotic gender-appropriate behaviors. He has signed into law a bill that allows discrimination against LGTBQ customers based on religious belief.

- As governor of Indiana, Mike Pence was personally responsible for an outbreak of AIDS when he refused to allow clean needle exchanges for drug addicts. Instead, he asked people to pray for the addicts.

- Mike Pence is racist. He thinks there is “too much talk” about institutional racism in law enforcement because “police officers are human beings.” His solution is unity through “faith.” The Indiana governor has tried to prevent Syrian refugees from settling in his state because the “pose a threat to safety of residents.” Pence argued that his policy was based on fear, not race, so it wasn’t discriminatory. A Federal Appeals Court dismissed his racist arguments on October 3, 2016.

- A Federal Court also had to block his bizarre anti-abortion law that required burial or cremation for fetuses, whether miscarried or aborted, no matter how far along the pregnancy had progressed.

- Mike Pence is pro-birth, but not pro-life. He once funneled $3.5M dollars from Temporary Assistance to Needy Families into programs that counsel against abortion. He wants those women to have those babies, but he doesn’t care if the kids starve or live on the streets afterward.

- Mike Pence has refused to comply with federal guidelines aimed at reducing prison rape.

When you add it all together, you can see that the most dangerous part of the Trump-Pence ticket is …that calculating quiet man who will be leading the charge from behind. Mike Pence is basically against anyone who is not white, conservative, Christian, and male.

When Mike Pence was a young lawyer on the rise, he challenged a longtime Democratic congressman for a seat in a Republican-leaning Indiana district. He seemed to have it in the bag until voters were stunned to learn that he had been using political donations to pay personal expenses including the mortgage on his house, his credit card bill, groceries, golf tournament fees, and car payments for his wife.”

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Let's get some good loving news in here:

quote:

Taiwan set to legalise same-sex marriage

Taiwan could become the first Asian country to pass same-sex marriage laws.

Taiwanese parliamentarians have begun work on three bills in support of marriage equality, one of which is already listed for review and could be passed within months.

President Tsai Ing-wen, Taiwan's first female head of state, said as recently as October she supported same-sex marriage.

Yu Mei-nu, a ruling Democratic Progressive Party MP who is sponsoring the same-sex marriage bill now in line for parliamentary debate, said it would be a big step forward for human rights in the region.

If successful, Taiwan would join countries such as Canada, Colombia, and Ireland that have legalised same-sex marriage over the past 15 years.

It would though be a notable exception among Asian and Middle Eastern countries, at least 20 of which continue to ban same-sex intercourse.

Growing support among younger Taiwanese

The Taiwan LGBT Family Rights Advocacy group said about 80 per cent of Taiwanese people between the ages of 20 and 29 support same-sex marriage, citing local university studies.

In a 2012 survey, Taiwan's United Daily News found 55 per cent of the public supported same-sex marriage, with 37 per cent opposed.

Those figures could reflect Taiwan's ready acceptance of multi-party democracy and other inclusive attitudes, as well as the fact Taiwan's 23 million people largely follow Buddhism and traditional Chinese religions that take no strong positions on sexual orientation or gay marriage.

Taiwan best China :allears:

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Cythereal posted:

It's not Trump you should be afraid of, it's Pence. Trump has never given a poo poo about anything that does not personally affect him. Mike Pence, not so much.

As I said, Vice President is the most toothless position in all of American politics. Unless something happens to Trump, Mike Pence is where he can do the least amount of harm. He's also not part of the alt-right in any sense, so Trumps alt right handlers will keep him well away from any real policy decisions. He was a concession to get evangelicals aboard, but neither Trump nor the alt-right really give a poo poo about evangelicals or what they want.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Toothless isn't a word I would use to describe Dick Cheney.

Any who, a story from the darkest timeline:

I asked my doctor this morning at an appointment if she had any moral objections to treating me as a gay man. I said I only asked because if she did I would rather find a new physician than cause issues. She told me she had no problem with it and would be horrified to find out any doctor would refuse treatment to a gay person. (I didn't tell her they're out there.)

Be out, voice your concerns. Protect you and your family.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

A Pale Horse posted:

As I said, Vice President is the most toothless position in all of American politics. Unless something happens to Trump, Mike Pence is where he can do the least amount of harm. He's also not part of the alt-right in any sense, so Trumps alt right handlers will keep him well away from any real policy decisions. He was a concession to get evangelicals aboard, but neither Trump nor the alt-right really give a poo poo about evangelicals or what they want.
Something like, impeachment?

Also, last I checked the alt-right still hates gay men for destroying masculinity in some fashion and gay women for not having sex with men. They don't need to just play along with evangelicals to pass anti-lgbt legislation.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

A Pale Horse posted:

Reagan had lots of gay friends too. And Trump already released his list of Supreme Court justices, who are all the kind of drooling zealots who would stike down every piece of protection we have in the South. Things will be fine if your a northerner, but us Southern Queers just had the hounds released on us.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

A Pale Horse posted:

Your confusing official power with actual power. The VP like the British royal family has no official ties to policy but just like the crown he has a lot of access to everyone who does so he is actually a person capable of influencing decision making. The First lady doesn't have any power either but Republicans went ballistic over Hillary Clinton having influence over her husband. And why so many were worried about the power of Dick Cheney under Bush.

Also Vice Presidents are put in charge of initiatives all the time, even Dan Quayle got put in charge of space research, and just look at all the stuff Biden's been influential on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Biden#Vice_Presidency_.282009-present.29

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

Gorilla Salad posted:

From the picture thread:

I'm concerned that that interpretation ignores the impact that the repeal-in-all-but-name of the Voting Rights Act had on suppression of minority votes.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Okay, that's news to me. I'm not American, so I don't hear every horrible thing the Republicans do.

In Australian politics there's a saying "we don't vote governments in, we vote them out", so I was definitely looking at that graph through that lens.

What happened to voting rights?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Pikavangelist posted:

I'm concerned that that interpretation ignores the impact that the repeal-in-all-but-name of the Voting Rights Act had on suppression of minority votes.

North Carolina is a prime example. Hopefully with a democratic governor they can start to work back some of the damage McRory did.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voting_Rights_Act_of_1965

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

Gorilla Salad posted:

Okay, that's news to me. I'm not American, so I don't hear every horrible thing the Republicans do.

In Australian politics there's a saying "we don't vote governments in, we vote them out", so I was definitely looking at that graph through that lens.

What happened to voting rights?

Short version: there used to be a law that, among other things, required jurisdictions with a history of racial discrimination to get federal approval before they could make changes to how they managed elections; a practice that was called "preclearance". The formula used to determine what jurisdictions had to go through the preclearance process was struck down by the Supreme Court in the 2013 ruling Shelby County v. Holder, freeing states with Republican legislatures to do a lot of stuff that, although it doesn't EXPLICITLY stop PoC from voting, makes it a whole lot harder than it would have been otherwise. (North Carolina is probably the most blatant example of this practice, but they're by no means the only state to do so.)

EDIT: Short version of the above two posts, I apparently mean.

• Locked thread