Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I've been watching this playthrough and the dude is really good. Especially when he starts reading the notes and books.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ05fx_hGpM

Shard fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Maybe fix the link, I dunno.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Spikeguy posted:

I've been watching this playthrough and the dude is really good. Especially when he starts reading the notes and books.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ05fx_hGpM
I don't know about "really good", but I am a fan, and can recommend his LPs in general. If you're one of the people vacillating about trying out Witcher 1, you could do worse than watching his LP of it.

I kinda want to make his "well that sucks" the new "that's rough, buddy". Oh, your entire family got Valen-ed? Well that sucks. Your wife has Alzheimer and no longer recognizes you? Well that kinda sucks.

(Also, his videos are living proof that my copy of the game wasn't exceptionally bugged. Hell, at least my Geralt did not leap into the air every single time he died)

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I think that developer wages are also lower in Poland, which turns into a net gain for the company at the expense of employees when factoring in the currency exchange. Maybe comte could elaborate rather than leaving this to conjecture.
It's the other way round - CDPR has to pay some key devs with experience in working on huge AAA projects more to encourage them to move to Poland. However they definitely save on testers and all the lower rank employees + infrastructure costs and running the whole thing.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
One of the weirdest compliments I saw about this game was this video where the guy says the game is so good it makes him think working conditions at CDPR must be terrible.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Drifter posted:

about 81 million American, or 315 Polish Zobobalies or whatever the hell they're called.

classy

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Pyromancer posted:

I played through entire game twice(before expansions and with them) and still I'm not entirely sure what the dimeritium bombs actually do against half of the creatures they're supposedly good against.

It's bullshit isn't it?!?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Dimetrium bombs never did poo poo for me. And the ONE time I NEEDED them, that drat sand wizard dude wasn't even bothered by it. :argh:

I knew the exchange rate, just not the name. :shrug:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

2house2fly posted:

One of the weirdest compliments I saw about this game was this video where the guy says the game is so good it makes him think working conditions at CDPR must be terrible.

That's not what the video said, to be fair, so good job misrepresenting it?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I've been wondering, how come Toussaint is so much better than everyone else? Have they got like a giant army or natural defenses that make other nations not want to invade them? Are they allied with someone strong?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Spikeguy posted:

I've been wondering, how come Toussaint is so much better than everyone else? Have they got like a giant army or natural defenses that make other nations not want to invade them? Are they allied with someone strong?

Toussaint is a vassal of Nilfgaard, and has been deep inside their empire for centuries. Everything's been nice and stable around it for a very long time, and because it doesn't make trouble and is quaint and nice and they pay their tax and make good wine the Empire doesn't even really bother to impose itself on them much.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Nov 8, 2016

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

That's not what the video said, to be fair, so good job misrepresenting it?

I apologize for not quoting the youtube man entirely accurately in the informal message board video game thread.

To be clear, his exact words are: "Balancing the treatment of customers and employees isn't a zero sum game, but there is a tradeoff there. And I can tell you that I personally would be willing to pay a little more, wait a little longer, or get a little bit less game if I knew that management wasn't cracking the whip so hard come crunch time. I feel like I got excellent value from The Witcher 3. I also know that there's no such thing as a free lunch, and if I didn't pay for this particular lunch someone else must have. I just hope it wasn't CDPR's employees, and if so, I hope it wasn't too expensive." The context is that videogame development has a culture of intense "crunch" towards the end of development which is essentially abuse of employees.

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Nov 8, 2016

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Maybe CDPR has learned their lesson after W1, in which the dev team was pretty much ground down. Supposedly a lot of them came back to work on W2. And the qualified IT dudes get paid decently in Warsaw to a point you don't see polish IT staff leaving en masse like pretty much the rest of proffesionals.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MikeJF posted:

Toussaint is a vassal of Nilfgaard, and has been deep inside their empire for centuries. Everything's been nice and stable around it for a very long time, and because it doesn't make trouble and is quaint and nice and they pay their tax and make good wine the Empire doesn't even really bother to impose itself on them much.

And while the quality of life in touissant is much higher than the northern realms, it has its fair share of social problems, such as a borderline pathological obsession with chivalry to the detriment of personal safety and reason.
The big difference between touissant and the North is that touissant's issues are very visible, while the north's social issues, while visible, have underlying causes that aren't immediately apparent.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Also the whole elf thing, but they don't really talk about that in public.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
The books explained a bit more about how the different kingdoms came to be so different from the Northern Kingdoms, such as how Kovir is similar to Switzerland (in my mind anyway) and how Toussaint is another form of a politically disinterested hermit kingdom that is greatly valued by other nations for its superiority in wines.... but also that it's a bit of marketing as well in how they defend their brand and such against wineries that try to go up-market. Whoever tries to invade Toussaint will wind up being hated by the nobles of almost every other kingdom out there for disrupting their wine, so nobody dares to try to take Toussaint from Nilfgaard.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Arcsquad12 posted:

And while the quality of life in touissant is much higher than the northern realms, it has its fair share of social problems, such as a borderline pathological obsession with chivalry to the detriment of personal safety and reason.
The big difference between touissant and the North is that touissant's issues are very visible, while the north's social issues, while visible, have underlying causes that aren't immediately apparent.

Something that bugs me about the witcher universe is that with all the prevalence of monsters around, why do people still question someone carrying two swords? I mean even the Knights in Touissant would carry a silver sword to fight the monsters for their damsels in distress.

Wouldn't Touissant have the least amount of monsters out of all the realms as well? a constant stream of do'gooder knights would certainly clean up some monsters.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Spikeguy posted:

The North is Poland, Toussaint is Italy (and Niflgard is the HRE/Germany.)

Toussaint is rich as fuuuuuuuuuck, Poland is average and Niflgard is a productive workhouse.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Wouldn't Touissant have the least amount of monsters out of all the realms as well? a constant stream of do'gooder knights would certainly clean up some monsters.

it's like foxes. chase some off, a new bunch move in shortly afterwards

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
Also, i'm getting close to finishing blood & wine and wrapping up my witcher 3 full experience.

Now as someone with Wife/Kids/Full Time Career and maybe 0-4 hours a night of gaming after the kids and wife go to bed. I make lists of games in a queue I want to play and well the list is quite big.. next up is Deus Ex 3 games play through.. this will take me months to finish. Now i'm debating playing witcher 3 over again but wondering how new game + works and how my previous witcher 2 save would incorporate into that NG+?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Something that bugs me about the witcher universe is that with all the prevalence of monsters around, why do people still question someone carrying two swords? I mean even the Knights in Touissant would carry a silver sword to fight the monsters for their damsels in distress.

The two swords thing is more or less an in-joke with the developers rather than an actual point of distinction in the Witcher universe. Geralt actually very rarely wanders around with both swords on his back in the novels, but due to gameplay mechanics and the dual enemy system, he always has them on hand, so it looks strange.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Wellp, I got Gwent beta. I suppose due to my earlier post I am obliged to make the thread once I've played enough to understand the changes.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Crappy Jack posted:

Also the whole elf thing, but they don't really talk about that in public.

I had a couple big quests on this subject that got cut.

The smaller of the two involved an elf ghost that kept reliving her trauma, endangering the living because her suffering was "contagious" and driving people to suicide.

The longer involved a village that was the site of particularly grotesque tragedies, which it refused to acknowledge while at the same time profiting from the event. Can give more details when I'm off vacation and back at my desktop, typing on my phone stinks.

As for people asking about working conditions and pay, I obviously can't really comment on those things.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yes you can

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

As for people asking about working conditions and pay, I obviously can't really comment on those things.

How would you describe the working and pay conditions of INDIE DEVS***, I understand that you're not working with INDIE DEVS*** but I'm sure you've overheard or read things.

Also, I'd be interested in hearing about your cut quests.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
My working conditions and pay are good enough that I won't endanger it by talking out of school.

My other cut quest was about a constipated troll and it was very funny but our director didn't think it was funny. Only thing I ever had cut for creative reasons.

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Nov 10, 2016

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

My working conditions and pay are good enough that I won't endanger it by talking out of school.

My other cut quest was about a constipated troll and it was very funny but our director didn't think it was funny. Only thing I ever had cut for creative reasons.

I can just imagine a trio of trolls acting out Eddie Murphy's The Klumps dinner table scene, farts and all.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I never realized that you could save Tomira from being burned as a witch back in White Orchard. Apparently only happens if Radovid wins the war however. But nice callback.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Manbrush. I get it.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Who said it was a good idea to lose that gwent game to the halflings during HoS? :argh:

because it was hilarious, thank you

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

monster on a stick posted:

Who said it was a good idea to lose that gwent game to the halflings during HoS? :argh:

because it was hilarious, thank you

everyone

it is the most important gameplay decision you can make

the wedding sequence owns and it owns even harder if you LOSE the Gwent game to the halflings as the very first thing you do.

trust us.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Pellisworth posted:

everyone

it is the most important gameplay decision you can make

the wedding sequence owns and it owns even harder if you LOSE the Gwent game to the halflings as the very first thing you do.

trust us.

I'm guessing you didn't read the spoilered bit.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

I'm guessing you didn't read the spoilered bit.

??

I'm reinforcing the idea that one of the few things worth spoiling is that you should lose Gwent to the halflings first thing you do at the wedding in Hearts of Stone. The other is to not ~forcefully shove~ a certain main character late in the base game.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
So I cleared all of lower Velen, learned that Ciri had gone to Novigrad, went there, found Triss, did some quests, aced the Fists of Novigrad thing (fist fights seem very easy compared to other fights) then played some cards. Beating the smug Merchant in upper Novigrad (the one that sells certain artifacts) took 6 tries and then I got me arse kicked repeatedly in the high stakes tournament in the first round.

rant:
HOLY poo poo are spy based decks ever annoying. I though I had accepted gwent for what it is and willed myself to play it for the experience (and the card cheevo tbh) but got drat was I annoyed. While I realize I am probably WAY too early in the game to play in the tournament, the whole spy based card multiplier that guy pulls is so annoying. Every single time I had him cornered in the last round he uses weird tricks to pull out 2-3 spies and doubles his cards to kick my rear end.
/rant

Anyway, good thing is I saved before entering the tournament so I went to check what these artifacts I bought are all about. Turns out I completely failed to realize that there is a rather large area east across the river from Oxenfurt that I can explore...

Question regarding crafting/alchemy recipes:
When a recipe is sold by a merchant, does that mean I can only get it by buying it or can I also find them all in the wild? Furthermore, if both is possible and I already have found a recipe that I can potentially buy as well, will there be an indication whether I already have said recipe when looking at it in a vendors inventory? (i.e. "You already read this".)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Hopper posted:

So I cleared all of lower Velen, learned that Ciri had gone to Novigrad, went there, found Triss, did some quests, aced the Fists of Novigrad thing (fist fights seem very easy compared to other fights) then played some cards. Beating the smug Merchant in upper Novigrad (the one that sells certain artifacts) took 6 tries and then I got me arse kicked repeatedly in the high stakes tournament in the first round.

rant:
HOLY poo poo are spy based decks ever annoying. I though I had accepted gwent for what it is and willed myself to play it for the experience (and the card cheevo tbh) but got drat was I annoyed. While I realize I am probably WAY too early in the game to play in the tournament, the whole spy based card multiplier that guy pulls is so annoying. Every single time I had him cornered in the last round he uses weird tricks to pull out 2-3 spies and doubles his cards to kick my rear end.
/rant

Anyway, good thing is I saved before entering the tournament so I went to check what these artifacts I bought are all about. Turns out I completely failed to realize that there is a rather large area east across the river from Oxenfurt that I can explore...

When a recipe is sold by a merchant, does that mean I can only get it by buying it or can I also find them all in the wild? Furthermore, if both is possible and I already have found a recipe that I can potentially buy as well, will there be an indication whether I already have said recipe when looking at it in a vendors inventory? (i.e. "You already read this".)

Go to Skellige and get all the easily accessible cards before you get into the high stakes championship.

I see lots of people hate spy decks, but I do quite like them, they make the game longer, but I do enjoy the swapping of cards and building of a hand, it's satisfying.

The area East of Oxenfurt is for high level players who are doing one of the DLCs.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

Hopper posted:

Bugs aside, you can only get a recipe once. If you buy it from the merchant, it'll disappear from the random loot tables. If you find it in the wild, the merchants who would carry it stop doing so. Recipes are usually cheap, so I buy what I can from merchants and hope to find the rest exploring. I think I had all potions and bombs upgraded when I was halfway through Skellige, in the main game.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Can I go back and forth from Novigrad to Skellige without loosing any undone quests etc? Somehow I don't have that many sidequests and contracts left that are doable at my level. Or should I progress down the main questline in Novigrad first?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yeah, it's counter-intuitive, but there's no limit on travel between maps. Though I think you may need to do some story quests in Skellige to unlock the way back, but I'm not sure if that's true, and how many.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, it's counter-intuitive, but there's no limit on travel between maps. Though I think you may need to do some story quests in Skellige to unlock the way back, but I'm not sure if that's true, and how many.

Nah you can immediately fast-travel back to the mainland the minute you reach Skellige.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Hopper posted:

rant:
/rant

Spy decks are basically an "I Win" button - they're not a surefire win every single time, but they're far easier to win with than other strategies. Just wait until you have to win a tournament in Toussaint with a Skellige deck. That one took a ton of tries to finish.