Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Sata is fine as a holdover. Use it in the future as a steam games disk or a backup device when you get a new computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

nrook posted:

I'm sick of clearing space on my 128gb SSD, so I'm thinking of buying a 512gb Samsung evo. Am I being an idiot for buying a SATA SSD in 2016?

I looked at the Intel 600p, but my mobo is kind of old. I'd have to buy an m.2 adapter, and I only have PCIe 2.0 anyway. Plus booting into NVMe from an old motherboard appears to require loading weird homebrew bios modules, which sounds risky... But it feels bad to buy the old thing :/

Not at all. If anything, consumer OSes like Windows is tuned for SATA SSDs. NVMe is still in its infancy in the enthusiast space.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Alright, I'll go for it then. Thanks!

Now to find my power cables for my drat modular power supply.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

nrook posted:

Am I being an idiot for buying a SATA SSD in 2016?

Certainly not, even given the fact that Samsung is holding pretty firm on their 850 EVO prices. Most real-world performance testing doesn't show a noticeable improvement in speed with PCI-based SSDs over fast SATA drives. If you're moving around 100+GB files frequently you might feel it, but shaving a half a second here and there is going to be totally missed.

For 95% of users, the PCI drives are total overkill, but that's never stopped hardware enthusiasts before.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So after having my external 4tb HD die and with it my steam, origin, movie, and photos (thankfully the later was cloud backed up) I figured my next hd is going to be an SSD. I just want it for loading my OS and for certain games so I never have to sit through long rear end loading screens. I've made my peace with having to give up large capacity for not having to deal with moving parts (and I still have two regular HDs anyway) This is the motherboard I have: P67A-G43 (B3) LGA 1155 P67 ATX Intel Motherboard. I just want to make sure whatever I get will of course hookup with my system and be the current generation of tech (it will eventually be part of a new computer build later this year or early next year). Seeing the most recent posts saying getting SATA is still fine is reassuring though. I just have no clue if the NVMe would even work with my mobo.

Also is there a move the OS installation over to the SSD option? I got Windows 10 via the free upgrade (using a Windows 7 I got in law school) and I'm not sure how to do a clean install with it after already having it installed on a regular HD.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
That's literally the same motherboard type I have, so if you don't see a post tomorrow from me saying "what the gently caress??" assume a modern SATA drive will be fine

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

gfanikf posted:

So after having my external 4tb HD die and with it my steam, origin, movie, and photos (thankfully the later was cloud backed up) I figured my next hd is going to be an SSD. I just want it for loading my OS and for certain games so I never have to sit through long rear end loading screens. I've made my peace with having to give up large capacity for not having to deal with moving parts (and I still have two regular HDs anyway) This is the motherboard I have: P67A-G43 (B3) LGA 1155 P67 ATX Intel Motherboard. I just want to make sure whatever I get will of course hookup with my system and be the current generation of tech (it will eventually be part of a new computer build later this year or early next year). Seeing the most recent posts saying getting SATA is still fine is reassuring though. I just have no clue if the NVMe would even work with my mobo.

Also is there a move the OS installation over to the SSD option? I got Windows 10 via the free upgrade (using a Windows 7 I got in law school) and I'm not sure how to do a clean install with it after already having it installed on a regular HD.

A P67 motherboard is definitely not going to support NVMe, but it should have fine SATA support.

Also unless you're swimming in money, SSDs for bulk storage isn't economical. Get a 250 or 500 GB SSD for system/software/games and then a spinny HDD for storing your movies, photos etc.

When your Win10 is activated via the free upgrade, your hardware has been "fingerprinted" to allow that same system to clean install Win10. Use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool from Microsoft to make a bootable USB stick you can install from. When the installer prompts you for a product key, click the little link/button says says "skip" or "later" or some such, without entering anything.

Make sure your BIOS is set to present the SATA controller in AHCI mode, not RAID or IDE/PATA/Legacy.

I think P67 is just around when the transition from classic BIOS to UEFI was taking place, if you have UEFI firmware and can make it boot in UEFI mode, it's best to install Win10 via that.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
I've just put a Samsung 750 EVO in an older laptop, HP Pavilion DV6-2113TX. Various random forums seem to indicate the option for AHCI is hidden (no options are exposed in the latest BIOS), so I'm fairly certain its using IDE. Just how detrimental is that going to be long term? If it lasts a few years thats probably going to be sufficient for a MomLaptop

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

nrook posted:

I'm sick of clearing space on my 128gb SSD, so I'm thinking of buying a 512gb Samsung evo. Am I being an idiot for buying a SATA SSD in 2016?

I looked at the Intel 600p, but my mobo is kind of old. I'd have to buy an m.2 adapter, and I only have PCIe 2.0 anyway. Plus booting into NVMe from an old motherboard appears to require loading weird homebrew bios modules, which sounds risky... But it feels bad to buy the old thing :/

The 600p isn't so fast that you're really going to limit it much (if any) by putting it on a PCIe 2.0 connection, as long as you still have 4 lanes. However, in real world usage SATA feels so similar that I wouldn't mess around with any hackery to get NVMe boot working if it's not supported.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Not sure if this belongs in the parts thread, but I'll start here:

My last experience with trying to use an M.2 SSD as my boot disk was a Transcend 256GB 2242 drive in my Thinkpad T450S. (In my defense, nobody was making 2242 M.2 drives at that point.) It did not go well. I am considering building a desktop and using a supersweet new 960 EVO as the boot drive, but I am quite gunshy about this, given my past experience. Should I generally expect M.2 SSDs to function as boot drives (i.e. I got horrifically unlucky with the computer/SSD pairing)? Or are there enough incompatibilities out there that I should wait and see if the 960 EVO is fundamentally incapable of being a boot disk?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Grundulum posted:

My last experience with trying to use an M.2 SSD as my boot disk was a Transcend 256GB 2242 drive in my Thinkpad T450S. (In my defense, nobody was making 2242 M.2 drives at that point.) It did not go well. I am considering building a desktop and using a supersweet new 960 EVO as the boot drive, but I am quite gunshy about this, given my past experience. Should I generally expect M.2 SSDs to function as boot drives (i.e. I got horrifically unlucky with the computer/SSD pairing)? Or are there enough incompatibilities out there that I should wait and see if the 960 EVO is fundamentally incapable of being a boot disk?

You'll need two things for a Samsung 960 to work for boot:
1. An OS with NVMe support, such as Windows 10
2. A motherboard with NMVe support on the M.2 slot and in the firmware

I think most newer not-bottom-barrel motherboards with M.2 slots should give them the direct PCI-e connection required for NMVe.

Remember that M.2 is only a physical form factor, not a protocol.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Grundulum posted:

The problems with using M.2/NVME devices as boot drives were due to some issues with the early implementation of these devices in the Haswel boards. These have pretty much been fixed in subsequent BIOS updates for those boards. All of these issues have already been ironed out so anything new you buy now shouldn't have any issue running these as a boot device.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Thanks to you both. The motherboard I'm expecting to buy has an M.2 slot and supports the NVMe standard (er, it can run in PCIe mode, which I thought was the same thing). From what you two describe, pair-specific hardware incompatibilities like I had last time should be extremely rare in 2016-2017. Makes me happier about going all :homebrew: on the 960 as an early adopter.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Wonder when the 960 evos are going to ship. Got my 1tb ordered from samsung for ~$390 during the glitch yesterday.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

Wonder when the 960 evos are going to ship. Got my 1tb ordered from samsung for ~$390 during the glitch yesterday.

Where was this glitch posted? Thanks Buddy. :P

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

EdEddnEddy posted:

Where was this glitch posted? Thanks Buddy. :P

Most deal sites. Basically you can get a 10% off coupon (which you still can i think just by browsing the samsung store) and then you could also go to the employment price enrollment site, put it in a random samsung email and you got employee pricing (which stacked with the 10% off) But it got patched after a few hours.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
My work PC has this Samsung SDD in it but Samsung Magician tells me 'Information is available only for Samsung Brand SSDs". Anyone know why this might be? If Magician can't help with this model, what other ways can I keep and eye on the health/lifetime of the drive?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

chippy posted:

My work PC has this Samsung SDD in it but Samsung Magician tells me 'Information is available only for Samsung Brand SSDs". Anyone know why this might be? If Magician can't help with this model, what other ways can I keep and eye on the health/lifetime of the drive?

Magician only works on consumer lines and you have an OEM line. Use crystaldiskinfo.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Any good deals on M.2 drives right now? I see a 275gb mx300 but it's only $5-10 less than a 250gb Samsung evo

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Bob Morales posted:

Any good deals on M.2 drives right now? I see a 275gb mx300 but it's only $5-10 less than a 250gb Samsung evo

I actually have a 500gb Samsung 850 EVO M.2 drive in box that it turns out won't work in my motherboard alongside my Intel 750. PM me if interested.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Skandranon posted:

I actually have a 500gb Samsung 850 EVO M.2 drive in box that it turns out won't work in my motherboard alongside my Intel 750. PM me if interested.
Edit: Derp I need mSATA not M.2

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Nov 4, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Samsung's starting a new game-inclusion promo: http://www.samsung.com/us/explore/watchdogs/

Anyone who's pre-ordered a 960 EVO or Pro from Samsung might want to contact them to retroactively have this included in their order. Newegg currently has the 500GB 850 EVO for $157.30 with this included. Expect an eBay value of ~$30-40, with the lower end being favored. Even 850s of every type and interface are valid.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Haha nice, we are ordering 10 256 850 evos for misc boot drives for lab servers, watchdogs for all!

Finally went thru our stash of 840 pros..

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

priznat posted:

Haha nice, we are ordering 10 256 850 evos for misc boot drives for lab servers, watchdogs for all!

Finally went thru our stash of 840 pros..

Out of luck there. Seems to be 500GB+ SSDs only.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

havenwaters posted:

Out of luck there. Seems to be 500GB+ SSDs only.

Oh well.. we'll probably get a few 960s too going forward as well. Get to buy a bunch of nvme drives. Do the pm1725a qualify? :haw:

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat
It's not on the list, but thoughts on this? The price seems hard to pass on

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Mushkin-Enhanced-Reactor-2-5-1TB-SATA-III-MLC-Internal-Solid-State-Drive-SSD-/201244823488

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
Mushkin makes solid drives and the Reactor was a great one, but I don't know how pricing compares when talking about loonies and toonies.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
It's one of the very cheapest 1TB SSDs right now and probably the only non garbage-tier one at that budget price point so I'd say it's a pretty good deal.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Being :canada: money, I'd say that is a great deal right there.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
What is the best pick to use as an external SSD? I would use this mainly as a backup destination when travelling (so a few times per year) and it only needs to be about 250 Gb.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Red_Fred posted:

What is the best pick to use as an external SSD? I would use this mainly as a backup destination when travelling (so a few times per year) and it only needs to be about 250 Gb.

Samsung makes one (the T3) and as of recently you get a free Watch Dogs 2 code with it.

EDIT: Nevermind, they excluded the 250GB - you only get the code with the 500GB and up. It'll still fill your need and it's compact.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Nov 6, 2016

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Has anyone seen x16 PCIe to quad m.2 cards other than the ones from Dell or HP? Seagate also has the XP7200 but that comes filled with drives which I don't really need. More interested in sourcing the bare card. Also I don't think the Seagate is officially out yet.

Quad x4 bifurcation on the slot is no problem. Just nothing with a switch in between the edge and drives.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Does anyone have any REAL WORLD benchmarks of Intel 750 vs Samsung 960 Pro?

I'm talking cold boot times, BF4 load times, etc. All I can find are synthetics that toot sequential speeds too much.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Ak Gara posted:

Does anyone have any REAL WORLD benchmarks of Intel 750 vs Samsung 960 Pro?

I'm talking cold boot times, BF4 load times, etc. All I can find are synthetics that toot sequential speeds too much.

No, but I probably spend more time farting per day than the collective difference in boot performance and game load times between the two in a given month.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

The problem you are running into even with SATA drives is the transfer speeds are faster than the storage controller/memory system seems to be able to shuffle everything around, so we are finally out of the wait time of the HDD and now have other bottlenecks holding things up.

You might gain a second or two in booting/BF4, but next to say a SATA EVO 850 (or Raid 0 850's even) you aren't going to load that much faster with a PCI-E SSD. The jump from a HDD to a EVO isn't happening again between SATA-PCI-E. (From Old SATA early Gen1/2 SSD's maybe).

Sequential data transfers and stuff will go up sure hence why the benchmarks seem to favor them, but if you look elsewhere in the benchmarks (say any review talking about the 950 vs 960) the performance of actual usage scenarios is practically the same.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

metallicaeg posted:

No, but I probably spend more time farting per day than the collective difference in boot performance and game load times between the two in a given month.

This is too loving funny.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

So what's the difference between the Sandisk SSD Plus and the X400? Benchmarks online seem to indicate that the X400 has way better (80-250%) 4K read and mixed speeds for peak, average and ADQ but slower on every other benchmark, and the Plus is cheaper to boot. What should I go with? (It's only a 128gb for a work laptop)

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Kelp Me! posted:

So what's the difference between the Sandisk SSD Plus and the X400? Benchmarks online seem to indicate that the X400 has way better (80-250%) 4K read and mixed speeds for peak, average and ADQ but slower on every other benchmark, and the Plus is cheaper to boot. What should I go with? (It's only a 128gb for a work laptop)

The X400 is a far newer and well-reviewed drive. Get the X400 if the 850 EVO is too expensive for you. And to confuse you more, there's a Z400, too - but that drive is shittier, despite being 'one more up the alphabet.' You can't split hairs over SSD benchmarks - they're all 'fast enough' save for the BX200.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The X400 is a far newer and well-reviewed drive. Get the X400 if the 850 EVO is too expensive for you. And to confuse you more, there's a Z400, too - but that drive is shittier, despite being 'one more up the alphabet.' You can't split hairs over SSD benchmarks - they're all 'fast enough' save for the BX200.

Gotcha, and thank you. But if the benchmarks don't really matter since they're all "fast enough," what's the advantage to newer and well-reviewed? General reliability? I guess that can apply to the 850 vs X400 too. I know the "avoid these" drives are probably due to high failure rate, but if they're all relatively similar, then what are the advantages/disadvantages?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Kelp Me! posted:

Gotcha, and thank you. But if the benchmarks don't really matter since they're all "fast enough," what's the advantage to newer and well-reviewed? General reliability? I guess that can apply to the 850 vs X400 too. I know the "avoid these" drives are probably due to high failure rate, but if they're all relatively similar, then what are the advantages/disadvantages?

Yeah, general reliability. And the only thing that it comes down to really is "good brand/reliable record." That's why the 840 EVO knocked everyone for a loop - because we didn't expect Samsung to have cut corners like they did. If anything, their fuckup made the 850 EVO into a better (if slightly more expensive in build cost to avoid more bad publicity) drive.