Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

I should have qualified it, "isn't an rear end in a top hat" by reddit standards. I mean, compared to the likes of Zecumbe or Lethality he comes off looking pretty good for a shill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

posting from the past to say holy loving poo poo, we've got a live one!

Which is weird, because I feel like I remember him being pretty reasonable in my boycott thread...

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Also I wanna give a big round of applause to WTFOSaurus for being the 9th best Star Citizen FPS player out of all 11 people who play.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Xaerael posted:

The original Wolfenstein 3D had it. Heck, it even had sector effector(affector?) door openers. They're talking about poo poo that's been in FPSes since the very first mainstream popular FPS.

Are you sure? Wolf3D didn't even have sectors per se, and IIRC switches only ever ended levels. (at least with the PC version, no clue about all the ports, never played them)

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/7226280/#Comment_7226280

All is not lost, notable Space Marshall and legendary Auditor Karl still has faith in Christ Robers.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I don't want to play this game so here is a hard hitting review of ATV instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfyIOeHffI4

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

tuo posted:

Are you sure? Wolf3D didn't even have sectors per se, and IIRC switches only ever ended levels. (at least with the PC version, no clue about all the ports, never played them)

Maybe I'm thinking of a later version. TBF this is memories from what, 1992-ish?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
What is the difference between Reverse the Verse and Around the Verse? Do they literally mean reverse the universe? What does that mean? How often are these things? There couldn't possibly be that much to talk about, they aren't making enough substantive progress to be giving much real insight.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Xaerael posted:

Maybe I'm thinking of a later version. TBF this is memories from what, 1992-ish?

Yeah, sounds about right. I didn't do much Wolf3D mapping because the engine didn't allow for much variation plus was buggy as hell...you had to find out what was "not alliowed" to do the hard way.

I spent hundreds of manhours mapping for Doom though, still remember the broken light linedefs in the first engine versions, and how sturdy the whole engine was in contrast to Wolf3D.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

AP posted:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/7226280/#Comment_7226280

All is not lost, notable Space Marshall and legendary Auditor Karl still has faith in Christ Robers.

I didn't know there were still so many space marshal and even completionist goons. :monocle:
What are you idiots waiting for to get a refund?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

MeLKoR posted:

I didn't know there were still so many space marshal and even completionist goons. :monocle:
What are you idiots waiting for to get a refund?

I always enjoy how they themselves have built Derek up into a figure of power

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Hahahaha now they're just making poo poo out of whole cloth. Keep fighting the good fight my man, if you spin enough bullshit 3.0 will come out before the end of the year. :laffo:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

MeLKoR posted:

Hahahaha now they're just making poo poo out of whole cloth. Keep fighting the good fight my man, if you spin enough bullshit 3.0 will come out before the end of the year. :laffo:

dereks toadies

:getin:

Chris Ihao
Aug 20, 2016

Thats Professor Elemental, my dear Watson

cool new Polack jokes posted:

What is the difference between Reverse the Verse and Around the Verse? Do they literally mean reverse the universe? What does that mean? How often are these things? There couldn't possibly be that much to talk about, they aren't making enough substantive progress to be giving much real insight.

I think the biggest difference is that Reverse the Verse is showing a reversed view of the verse, while Around the Verse is focusing on how the verse is around here and there.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

around the verse is what ben calls his belt

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

cool new Polack jokes posted:

What is the difference between Reverse the Verse and Around the Verse?

Are you familiar with rosebudding?

The_Groove
Mar 15, 2003

Supersonic compressible convection in the sun
Remaining door technology milestones:
- closed development
- open development

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Nicholas posted:

How are missions supposed to work in multiplayer without instancing? How is more than one person supposed to accomplish any task?

I don't even think they have really thought about how multiple people are going to do their missions together in their multiplayer game. Look at their mission concept video from Citizencon. A single player in a single ship lands on a planet and drives around in single rover. Isn't it a dream that you and a buddy could land on a planet, fight some Cylons, get outmatched by the Cylons when some random Commando pops in out of nowhere with his space toilet saves your rear end and you all go off to kill some of the aliens from Stargate. They couldn't even get their game and mission in state to even show a hint of that.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

MeLKoR posted:

I'm starting to doubt his martial arts skills since he seems to have so much trouble grappling with reality.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

kilus aof posted:

Isn't it a dream

and that's all it will ever be

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door

peter gabriel posted:

I don't want to play this game so here is a hard hitting review of ATV instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfyIOeHffI4

I've been waiting for this since that post you made during citizencon when Chris came on stage and you said he sounded like Pingu. He really, really does. Pingu might be a better dev though.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Chalks posted:

Do you mean that the in game models are lower detail? Because holy poo poo I'd hope so. Have we ever seen what they look like? Would be interesting to compare.

Also, networking talk: client side poly counts shouldn't have any impact on the networking - hitboxes and collision detection algorithms will but the wireframe complexity doesn't (necessarily) have anything to do with that.

Obviously if your game is running at 1FPS due to high poly counts then yeah your networking will also be affected but that's the least of your problems.

Sorry, no. Exactly the opposite, the in-game models are much, much higher in polycount. Don't forget, they modeled a lot of unseen internal structure with the ships just in case the break apart.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

SQ42 movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wzdta7MXCtQ

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

oh nice, a late-night luc besson film while a little bit hosed up is usually a great night

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Wrecked Angle posted:

Looks like orcinus has got an upgrade. Looks perfect CIG, well done.

Looks like GrimHexx got a glory hole!

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

ripptide posted:

Sorry, no. Exactly the opposite, the in-game models are much, much higher in polycount. Don't forget, they modeled a lot of unseen internal structure with the ships just in case the break apart.

I wonder if inside each commando resides a beating heart, if coils of intestines are neatly tucked in, forever unseen, patiently waiting the day where Chris' vision of "yeah, so, I'm going to need you guys to render all internal organs because one day in the future I want localized damage to create realistic wounds that are going to be treated in the hospital ship" will be implemented.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 11, 2016

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

Wrecked Angle posted:

i'm the collar clipping through his face

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

kilus aof posted:

I don't even think they have really thought about how multiple people are going to do their missions together in their multiplayer game.

:agreed:

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

Wrecked Angle posted:

i'm the nauseating amount of DOF

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

Yeah but I dunno, feels more widespread this time around

Mebe. It kind of has the same feel as what was happening when they first brought LTI back, or re-sold the 350R with the limited one time only race suit. But then again, the "Anything they can do to raise money" crowd don't seem to be quite as forceful as they were back then. Maybe because more of them are on the other side of the fence this time?

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

MeLKoR posted:

I wonder if inside each commando resides a beating heart, if coils of intestines are neatly tucked in, forever unseen, patiently waiting the day where Chris' vision of "yeah, so, I'm going to need you guys to render all internal organs because one day in the future I want localized damage to create realistic wounds that are going to be treated in the hospital ship" will be implemented.

"We will also implement sexual organs so our more.. ..interesting citizens can roleplay in their second second life simulator. Also, our cheetah suits and diapers clothing line have been added to this list."

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
"You control the pilot controlling the hand controlling the dragon-dildo which is inside another commando which is inside a fursuit which is inside a spaceship"

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Lack of Gravitas posted:

"You control the pilot controlling the hand controlling the dragon-dildo which is inside another commando which is inside a fursuit which is inside a spaceship"

Tagline confirmed.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 11, 2016

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

He doesn't blink once in their clip.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

SelenicMartian posted:

coz in space you eyes don't dry up newb!

- chris roberts, the dreamer

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Star Citizen taking gameplay from other more successful games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOwYjeefaWA&t=387s

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

androids confirmed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

SelenicMartian posted:

This seems like a small thing in the very, very, very large overall picture of top-to-bottom incompetence at CIG, but it's really indicative of the subtext running through this entire project: Chris doesn't know anything whatsoever about making a modern game. Instead of picking up where the industry is, he picked up from when he left it. He's manually re-learning every single thing about gaming, including simple things like remembering to have your CGI characters blink. He's rediscovered the <<USE>> function, ran through the entire last 2 decades of motion-capture technology while making every conceivable misstep along the way, still uses high-poly count as a measure of fidelity, and basically an infinite list.

Imagine where society would be today if every time a company decided to manufacture watches for example, the first thing they'd do is learn how to smelt copper. Incompetent doesn't even begin to describe him - it's too kind a word. When I picture someone incompetent I think of a well-meaning guy who has some knowledge, but is in slightly over his head - worst case scenario, someone unfit for the job they're placed in due to poor training or maybe they're just stupid.

Chris is on another level entirely. He boldly strides onto the stage, declares he's going to reinvent the toilet, then spends the next 3 years trying to find his own dick.

• Locked thread