Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

CJacobs posted:

Helpful stuff

Thanks! I actually figured out how to get up to the top myself after posting that, but I'd never have figured out to cut the rope on my own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Got to get my COOL back. I'm so fuckin' bad at this and I'm usually ace at stealth games. Loving it so far though. Emily and Corvo are great and powers feel so drat good. That first shot when Megan takes you to shore was so full of energy. Wyman's letter to Emily on her bed in her secret chambers was so sweet :unsmith:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Party Plane Jones posted:

Bloodflies are pretty much non-existent as a threat; you'd have to work at it to die to them.

Yes but they're so much more gross than rats were in D1.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

The rats were never a significant threat anyway, they didn't kill you at too quick a rate, and you were completely immune to them if you hopped up onto any old box or other such object in the environment. Much like the bloodflies, they were much more of a narrative element than a real gameplay element.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
I hope they iron out the technical difficulties sooner rather than later. Navigating around feels like I have a box of rocks strapped to Emily's back. Also, Meagan seems really boring (cool design aside) - same with the Outsider's new VO. Hope there's some more colourful characters around the corner.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

my thoughts just from 2 hours in, playing as Emily and have only just done the first little mission in the first Karnaca area.

1) When it comes to Zenimax studios, Todd Howard is still the odd man out. Between id Software and Arkane he needs to pilfer some of the designers because if Dishonored 2 can look this good and mostly run at 30fps on consoles then there's no excuse for Fallout 4 to look and run like garbage. The design here is really good and I love picking at everything, reading poo poo and soaking in the quasi-steampunk poo poo and elegant towers. There are a few weird visual graphical tics here and there but nothing huge.

2) Far Reach def isnt as incognito as Corvo's blink was. You gotta be careful because guards are just everywhere for me so far and as a result I have High Chaos, lol. I'm sure later on the godlike powers will make things better, but at the start I had to be cautious as gently caress.

3) I like the Outsider voice, don't really have any dislikes for him.

Overall a bit of a low start much like how the original started but the atmosphere is fantastic. I'm rusty as poo poo at this game since playing the first one, need to get way better.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The heart is a little funny this time around. According to it everyone on the dock is essentially a murderer.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Casimir Radon posted:

The heart is a little funny this time around. According to it everyone on the dock is essentially a murderer.

literally every single person I've used the heart on is Mega Hitler

"This guy likes eating food in front of homeless people it makes him feel sooooooo good"
"He's working on victim #8 right now look at him go!"
"This guy's a decent, hardworking dude

HE'S WAITING FOR THE FUGUE FEAST SO HE CAN RAPE AND KILL EVERYONE"

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

CharlestonJew posted:

literally every single person I've used the heart on is Mega Hitler

"This guy likes eating food in front of homeless people it makes him feel sooooooo good"
"He's working on victim #8 right now look at him go!"
"This guy's a decent, hardworking dude

HE'S WAITING FOR THE FUGUE FEAST SO HE CAN RAPE AND KILL EVERYONE"
"THIS LADY MURDERED A DOG!"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

MinibarMatchman posted:

3) I like the Outsider voice, don't really have any dislikes for him.

its the dude who plays penguin on gotham(one of the best parts of that mixed bag of show) and he actualy looks a fare bit like the outsider and his voice matchs pretty well too. he also has more range as the outsider then the other guy did.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Fat_Cow posted:

Mission 3 Question about collecting runes

How do I find the Rune under the first floor when you enter? I see things about a basement but I see no stairs anywhere to get down

For Mission 3 basement rune:

Go up to the top floor in the elevator (or go up the staircase). There's a small access room at the very top of the building that gets you above the elevator where you can open the hatch. Shoot the cable connection to the top of the elevator car, and it'll fall all the way down through the basement, allowing you to get the rune and a painting.

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

so here's a question: Why the hell would anyone tie mouse movement to frame rate? I'm done with trying to look around only to end up pulling some crazy 270 degree spin because of a frame skip. I'm pretty close to just refunding and picking up Tyranny instead. This shouldn't be happening with a 1060.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Monowhatever posted:

so here's a question: Why the hell would anyone tie mouse movement to frame rate? I'm done with trying to look around only to end up pulling some crazy 270 degree spin because of a frame skip. I'm pretty close to just refunding and picking up Tyranny instead. This shouldn't be happening with a 1060.

Does it have this problem with a controller?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I did that nvidia fix for the framerate and now am getting a consistent 60. What a strangely optimized game.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I like how they're careful about making Wyman gender-neutral. My sweet queer empress. :shobon:

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

Anti-Hero posted:

Does it have this problem with a controller?

Good question, I haven't tried it with one. Honestly I'd rather just be able to play with a keyboard and mouse I can't stand using controllers for fps games.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Monowhatever posted:

Good question, I haven't tried it with one. Honestly I'd rather just be able to play with a keyboard and mouse I can't stand using controllers for fps games.

Yeah, at least this isn't a twitch shooter or anything, so I could live with controller if need be.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Bogart posted:

I like how they're careful about making Wyman gender-neutral. My sweet queer empress. :shobon:

Early-game letter spoiler: You can find a letter that uses female pronouns for Wyman.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I finished the brigmore witches. Wow, the last level is incredibly cool and really head and shoulders above anything else in dishonored 1 or the prior DLC levels. I did kind of just charge around turbo-choking everyone out though because dishonored 2 is out and I finally got that overpowered "choke three times as fast" bone charm. And you can combine the "move fast/take more damage" charm with the no-sound upgrade to just blitz around asphyxiating the gently caress out of every larynx you can find.

I wish two of the levels in the DLC had been like brigmore manor, instead of only the third. Dunwall was feeling very samey by the end and the brigmore manor environment was so different that I wanted to see more variety like that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Casimir Radon posted:

"THIS LADY MURDERED A DOG!"

Welp, so much for my no-kills run.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I think it's a little stupid that the infested count as a civilian kill. They attack you on sight and it's basically a mercy kill. I'm sure they count for little chaos but it's still annoying.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
fwiw, with an AMD FX6300, a 970, 8 gigs, and an SSD, the only bad load time I have is when I open the game. Otherwise it's running fantastic. I love the idea of going a lethal but not high chaos run with Emily for the first playthrough, then a ghost no-kill run as Corvo. I just wanna be sneaky again and hear Stephen Russell be a smug prick.

Edit: Early game Emily-side question, spoilered: Can you escape Dunwall without killing the guy before you leave the tower? My game wouldn't let me open the door until I killed him (I choked him out earlier). Does that ruin a non-lethal run?

Asbury fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Nov 11, 2016

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

PantsBandit posted:

I did that nvidia fix for the framerate and now am getting a consistent 60. What a strangely optimized game.

I think I missed this one, what's the fix?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Black Griffon posted:

I think I missed this one, what's the fix?

http://www.gamepur.com/guide/24937-dishonored-2-pc-error-fix-low-fps-nvidia-and-amd-cards-disable-mouse.html

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

3Romeo posted:

Edit: Early game Emily-side question, spoilered: Can you escape Dunwall without killing the guy before you leave the tower? My game wouldn't let me open the door until I killed him (I choked him out earlier). Does that ruin a non-lethal run?

You absolutely can go non-lethal, did it myself. If the door you couldn't open was the one using the signet ring to get into the safe room, then make sure you looted the signet ring. Otherwise, if it's the door out of the safe room and onto Dunwall's streets, then you have to drag his unconscious body into the safe room for... reasons. Supposedly, it's because the safe room has food and water. Dunno what for, really, but I guess it's supposed to be a "let him die really slowly in a sealed room" fate-worse-than-murder. Then again, I don't recall the back way being sealed by the ring, so if he can get out once he wakes up, then it's kinda pointless.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm doing a de facto no powers run here because I keep messing up getting the runes.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Emily's shadow form power is pretty useful. Most guards can't see you very well in it, so it's perfect for a frontal assault takedown. Even from the front they take too long to notice you before you can strike. Plus you can upgrade it to let you crawl into vents like a rat, for cheap.

mania
Sep 9, 2004
Anyone know how to rob the black market for mission 5/The Royal Conservatory?

3Romeo posted:

I snuck down to the throne room and it triggered a conversation where he'll eventually make his way up to the safe room and unlock the door himself. I promptly murdered him right after that, but I think you should be able to do it non lethally.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

mania posted:

Anyone know how to rob the black market for mission 5/The Royal Conservatory?

If it's the one I'm thinking about then look for a crank wheel and a place to put it on outside of the shop, near the river.
You're going to get in from under the shop.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Monowhatever posted:

Download RivaTuner and lock your framerate to 60 or 30 or whatever you want. Ironically, most of the sensitivity changes come from looking at walls and stuff, which skyrockets your framerate because it's uncapped by default.

mania
Sep 9, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

Mission 5 black market

That's the one. Thanks!

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

I have four words, friends. Four.

STRONG. ARMS. TIMES. FOUR.

The Minstry of Hugs IS BACK, MOTHERFUCKERS :bisonyes:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

mania posted:

That's the one. Thanks!

I only know that one because I saw a pre-release dev stream where they said that it's the hardest shop to rob.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Jack Trades posted:

I only know that one because I saw a pre-release dev stream where they said that it's the hardest shop to rob.

I don't know that I would say mission 4s shop was especially hard to rob, but waddling around with that loving whale oil canister while the guards were flipping their poo poo about the gate being shut off sure was a bit harrowing. I didn't realize you can't use powers while you carry a large object

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
This game fuckin owns

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Aviron posted:

I can play it on high settings with almost no problem, the framerate drops for a moment when opening the power wheel with a lot of enemies on screen.
OK, thanks!

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
Word of warning. Some of you guys with middling or old PCs might be thinking, "I've managed to play all the other modern games. Witcher 3, DOOM, Mafia 3, etc, and been ok. I bet my PC can make it through this." NOT THIS TIME. That Phenom II has had a good long run, but it's time to upgrade.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Flubby posted:

Word of warning. Some of you guys with middling or old PCs might be thinking, "I've managed to play all the other modern games. Witcher 3, DOOM, Mafia 3, etc, and been ok. I bet my PC can make it through this." NOT THIS TIME. That Phenom II has had a good long run, but it's time to upgrade.

This. I can run Witcher 3 on Mediums, DOOM on Ultra but some areas of Dishonored 2 just give me 30 god drat fps.
It's completely unplayable.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

This. I can run Witcher 3 on Mediums, DOOM on Ultra but some areas of Dishonored 2 just give me 30 god drat fps.
It's completely unplayable.

I'm in the same-ish boat. The game was running fine until I hit the first outdoor area, where you're looking at the 4 guards from above, and it became completely unplayable. I'm glad that happened well within the steam refund window, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
I don't think it's CPU that's the bottleneck, though. There's literally no difference between a 2500k and a 6600k in that chart I posted a few pages back. Seems to be all GPU.

• Locked thread