Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Martytoof posted:

the utility is 'cat' and the relevant stuff lives in /proc :q:

But joking aside I know what you're saying and I honestly can't think of any utilities that do that. I typically just go through /proc when I need info, and then stuff like lsusb and lspci are useful and should come preinstalled on most liveCDs. Someone smarter than me will have to pipe in here, sorry.

Someone in IRC told me about "lshw -short" which is pretty great and has all the info I wanted. Also CentOS sucks because it didn't come with lshw installed, ended up using a ubuntu live usb stick. Got all my specs now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

peepsalot posted:

Ok but is there also any one particular app that will report every relevant thing and fit it on a single screen and does it come installed on the live distro.
lshw. No idea if it tends to come on live cds.

Edit: no idea how I missed the previous post before writing mine.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Nov 3, 2016

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Glad you found what you were looking for. My mind kept going back to 'hinv' but I'm just dating myself with that.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

There's also HDT (Hardware Detection Tool), which you can boot directly into; main advantage over LSHW is that it starts up in seconds and will fit on anything.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Can i3 dynamically change the size/position of a window based on its title? Say I'm switching buffers in Emacs, and based on the name of the buffer (or the filetype displayed in the buffer) it would change the window geometry.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
The gnome screenshot tool doesn't seem to have a way to capture a second screenshot without running the program again, am I missing something? I usually just want to copy to the clipboard, then take another screenshot. What should I use instead?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
You could experiment with Ksnapshot...

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
I tried ksnapshot and shutter. Ksnapshot allows taking more than one screenshot. Shutter seems pretty nice for taking a bunch of shots. I also found out the default gnome hotkey ctrl-shift-prtscrn does exactly what I originally wanted with minimal fuss - select an area and copy to the clipboard.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So uh, I gave the Fedora 25 beta live image a spin. Nouveau and the Gnome Wayland session start up fine, however my mouse cursor is not moving. It is registering mouse input, because wildly jockeying the mouse, various controls gain focus and react to clicks, but the visual cursor itself remains stuck in the top left corner. It even changes monitors when I move the invisible pointer between them, but always top left corner. Anyone seen that before and how that can be fixed?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Combat Pretzel posted:

So uh, I gave the Fedora 25 beta live image a spin. Nouveau and the Gnome Wayland session start up fine, however my mouse cursor is not moving. It is registering mouse input, because wildly jockeying the mouse, various controls gain focus and react to clicks, but the visual cursor itself remains stuck in the top left corner. It even changes monitors when I move the invisible pointer between them, but always top left corner. Anyone seen that before and how that can be fixed?
Do you have a joystick or some other input device plugged in?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Nothing, just an USB keyboard and USB mouse. I have a spacemouse, but it's currently unplugged.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
i have no idea what a spacemouse is but i want one it sounds loving awesome

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

other people posted:

i have no idea what a spacemouse is but i want one it sounds loving awesome
It's probably disappointing, like a spacebar.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

6-DOF controller for CAD (and Google Earth).

Anyway, it seems a bug. I managed to find a report from someone else. Hope this gets fixed, because I can't even boot into Xorg in Fedora 24 with what nouveau being too outdated in it to drive my GTX 1070. :(

--edit:
http://www.3dconnexion.com/products/spacemouse/spacemousepro.html

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 5, 2016

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014
How is Fedora's 4K support? I want to get a better display but I have no idea what the current standard in Linux hi-res stuff is. For reference my current display is 1080p. Am I going to have to edit Xorg.conf like its 2005 again?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

a butt posted:

How is Fedora's 4K support? I want to get a better display but I have no idea what the current standard in Linux hi-res stuff is. For reference my current display is 1080p. Am I going to have to edit Xorg.conf like its 2005 again?

(Note: this is SUSE using X11; I have no experience with Wayland.)

I've got a 3k screen on my laptop, and in KDE changing Appearance->Font->Force DPI from 96 to 192 makes most things work fine. Presumably GNOME has a similar setting. Not sure about other DEs.

Note that I said "most things". Exceptions I've seen tend to be gaming-related:
- Steam doesn't respect the DPI setting, so everything is tiny (it has this problem on windows, too)
- PlayOnLinux is completely busted, since it respects the DPI setting but positions all its UI elements using absolute pixel values
- Wine supports high DPI settings ok, but stuff running in wine usually doesn't
- Some games just completely freak out when presented with a resolution this high and leave the X server in a completely unusable state

My solution to this has just been to start a second X session as a throwaway "gaming" account running at 1440x810 and do my gaming on that, one those occasions when I'm gaming on my laptop.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

a butt posted:

Gnome3 got auto hidpi support in whatever version landed in F24 (maybe 23). Some application (non-gtk) still have issues, but it's much better than it used to be. Wayland is nearly perfect

porkinson
Jan 20, 2015

I need some help with my homework, I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but here goes:

I need to modify the default useradd behavior so each new user gets automatically added to a few specified secondary groups, I have looked all over the internet but searching for this mainly shows me tutorials on how to use useradd or groupadd or similar unhelpful results.

I know I can do it for the default group, but I can't seem to figure out how to do it with secondary groups.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

porkinson posted:

I need some help with my homework, I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but here goes:

I need to modify the default useradd behavior so each new user gets automatically added to a few specified secondary groups, I have looked all over the internet but searching for this mainly shows me tutorials on how to use useradd or groupadd or similar unhelpful results.

I know I can do it for the default group, but I can't seem to figure out how to do it with secondary groups.

useradd username -g firstgroup -G second,third,etc

Your google-fu is weak.

Not sure how new you are to linux but this is a great time to start using the man command.

man useradd:

−G, −−groups GROUP1[,GROUP2,...[,GROUPN]]]
A list of supplementary groups which the user is also a member of. Each group is separated from the next by a comma, with no intervening whitespace. The groups are subject to the same restrictions as the group given with the −g option. The default is for the user to belong only to the initial group.

LochNessMonster fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Nov 8, 2016

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
From the "modify default useradd behaviour" i understand it as the problem not being "how do i groups", but "how do i make it so 'useradd username' always automatically puts them in groups?", maybe?

Porkinson, is this correct?

Does it need to be systemwide or is it okay if it's only for your user?

porkinson
Jan 20, 2015

Phosphine posted:

From the "modify default useradd behaviour" i understand it as the problem not being "how do i groups", but "how do i make it so 'useradd username' always automatically puts them in groups?", maybe?

Porkinson, is this correct?

Does it need to be systemwide or is it okay if it's only for your user?

Yes this is correct, it doesn't need to be systemwide.

Thanks for any help ypu can give me.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Without directly typing out the answer to your homework, "alias" may get you what you want.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

Docjowles posted:

Without directly typing out the answer to your homework, "alias" may get you what you want.

this, plus a google for "bashrc" should be all you need

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
You may also want to check man login.defs and /etc/default/useradd

porkinson
Jan 20, 2015

Thanks for all the help, I will look in to those commands.

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007
How do I fix this owncloud client update SHA1 signing error when running apt-get update:
code:
Fetched 187 kB in 2s (85.0 kB/s)                           
Reading package lists... Done
W: [url]http://download.owncloud.org/download/repositories/stable/Ubuntu_16.04/Release.gpg:[/url] Signature by key DDA2C105C4B73A6649AD2BBD47AE7F72479BC94B uses weak digest algorithm (SHA1)
The owncloud team still hasn't fixed this problem:
https://github.com/owncloud/core/issues/23599

How can I totally remove the owncloud client and its repositories?

Jesus christ owncloud is a mess. Their migration has screwed up their forums.

I know people running their own owncloud hosting services... what a mess.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

What's the best way to get applications in a Windows VM to display on the Linux desktop seamlessly? IIRC there's SeamlessRDP, but it apparently it relies on the ability to spawn an arbitrary number of RDP sessions, which is a no-go on client Windows.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Are AMD video card drivers still a nightmare? Upgrading my video card for dual boot gaming for the first time in like 6 years but I want to use it with Linux too, not sure if I should consider their cards or not.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
So, I'm being dragged into being the admin our some linux servers after some coworkers left. While I was able to keep things going for awhile, we had some pretty serious DNS problems a few weeks ago that we still haven't fully resolved.
However, is there a recommended book I should be going over? I'm not sure if I'll be able to get real training any time soon, so a book and frantically googling. We are running RHEL for reference.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

chunkles posted:

Are AMD video card drivers still a nightmare? Upgrading my video card for dual boot gaming for the first time in like 6 years but I want to use it with Linux too, not sure if I should consider their cards or not.

Newer ones are OK due to AMD focusing on their open source video drivers.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Odette posted:

Nice, thanks.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Odette posted:

Yeah, I've got an AMD RX 460, and with a 4.8 kernel (it has issues on 4.7 due to lacking power management) and recent Mesa (12+, ideally 13), it's running Saints Row 4 and Dolphin decently on the open source drivers. Nothing too heavy, but it's a RX 460 so that's always going to be the case.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

CitizenKain posted:

So, I'm being dragged into being the admin our some linux servers after some coworkers left. While I was able to keep things going for awhile, we had some pretty serious DNS problems a few weeks ago that we still haven't fully resolved.
However, is there a recommended book I should be going over? I'm not sure if I'll be able to get real training any time soon, so a book and frantically googling. We are running RHEL for reference.

For DNS specifically (what server? BIND?) the free Zytrax online book is solid. They also sell an expanded one called Pro DNS and BIND or something like that.

For Linux in general, see if they'll at least spring for an RHCSA study guide. Evi Nemeth's UNIX and Linux administration handbook is also outstanding for the fundamentals.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Docjowles posted:

For DNS specifically (what server? BIND?) the free Zytrax online book is solid. They also sell an expanded one called Pro DNS and BIND or something like that.

For Linux in general, see if they'll at least spring for an RHCSA study guide. Evi Nemeth's UNIX and Linux administration handbook is also outstanding for the fundamentals.

Thanks.
Yea, its BIND, it started doing a really odd thing and with some help of a external vendor we managed to beat it back into submission, even he was pretty stumped.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Docjowles posted:

For RHCSA you want to get Jangs book. It's the most recommended book in the IT Certification thread.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
How do I figure out why my nginx systemd service doesn't start automatically on system boot?
code:
$ cat /usr/lib/systemd/system/nginx.service
[Unit]
Description=The nginx HTTP and reverse proxy server
After=network.target remote-fs.target nss-lookup.target

[Service]
ExecStartPre=/opt/nginx-1.8.1/sbin/nginx -t
ExecStart=/opt/nginx-1.8.1/sbin/nginx
ExecReload=/bin/kill -s HUP $MAINPID
ExecStop=/bin/kill -s QUIT $MAINPID
PrivateTmp=true

[Install]

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't use nginx enough to be any kind of authoirty, but isn't -t to test the config? If that command doesn't return 0 the service won't start. There is an option to tell systemd to not abort if a ExecStartPre fails, put a minus after the equals sign.

ExecStartPre=-/opt/nginx-1.8.1/sbin/nginx -t

But I imagine you would want the config test to exit cleanly.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
Is it enabled?

See status with systemctl status nginx
Enable with systemctl enable nginx

edit: and did you not paste everything? Because that output is missing actual entries under [Install], meaning it cannot be enabled.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Config test looks like it's ok, so maybe not that.

That is the entirety of the nginx.service file, there's nothing under [Install]. I don't know much about systemd yet, this was generated by the chef_nginx cookbook.

code:
[user@my_box ~]$ systemctl status nginx
● nginx.service - The nginx HTTP and reverse proxy server
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/nginx.service; static; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: active (running) since Wed 2016-10-05 01:43:38 UTC; 1 months 10 days ago
  Process: 6794 ExecReload=/bin/kill -s HUP $MAINPID (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
 Main PID: 11779 (nginx)
   CGroup: /system.slice/nginx.service
           ├─ 6796 nginx: worker process
           ├─ 6797 nginx: worker process
           ├─ 6798 nginx: worker process
           ├─ 6799 nginx: worker process
           └─11779 nginx: master process /opt/nginx-1.8.1/sbin/nginx

Oct 05 01:43:38 my_box systemd[1]: Starting The nginx HTTP and reverse proxy server...
Oct 05 01:43:38 my_box nginx[11777]: nginx: the configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf syntax is ok
Oct 05 01:43:38 my_box nginx[11777]: nginx: configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf test is successful
Oct 05 01:43:38 my_box systemd[1]: Started The nginx HTTP and reverse proxy server.
Oct 06 01:41:57 my_box systemd[1]: Reloaded The nginx HTTP and reverse proxy server.
Oct 22 01:53:04 my_box systemd[1]: Reloaded The nginx HTTP and reverse proxy server.
Nov 03 23:11:07 my_box systemd[1]: Reloaded The nginx HTTP and reverse proxy server.
Nov 12 03:39:29 my_box systemd[1]: Reloaded The nginx HTTP and reverse proxy server.
All my other systemd services that run on startup like postgresql, postfix, etc have:
code:
[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target
Reading the docs it seems like that's what is missing here. Seems odd the chef cookbook would omit that part though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

run journalctl -u nginx.service