Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
It's not Orion. If anything, it's this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lycus posted:

It's not Orion. If anything, it's this:

I'm gonna guess that was just drawn up by someone in HBO's marketing dept without direct connection to the show.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
We've seen that in the show too. When they're being dipped.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lycus posted:

We've seen that in the show too. When they're being dipped.
Sure, it's based on material from the show but a couple degrees removed.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I'm not literally saying that it's a reference to the show logo. I'm saying that I think it's more likely a reference to the creation of a host than Orion.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

tooterfish posted:

Could be this. Ford said they were an idealised version of his family, maybe the setting is idealised too.

That cottage is basically the English version of Abernathy's ranch. It's something straight out of Enid Blyton or James Herriot.

Other things are obviously intentionally anachronistic too; I'm sure everyone's noticed the utter and complete lack of racism in the fake West.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lycus posted:

I'm not literally saying that it's a reference to the show logo. I'm saying that I think it's more likely a reference to the creation of a host than Orion.
That I agree with.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Blazing Ownager posted:

Other things are obviously intentionally anachronistic too; I'm sure everyone's noticed the utter and complete lack of racism in the fake West.

I noticed that there hasn't been a single Chinese (or otherwise Asian) host yet.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

King Vidiot posted:

I know a lot of people were saying the anachronistic music choices were to make the Wild West seem more "contemporary" to guests, but I wonder if it's more like the show is set at least 100 years after 1990 which is where most (all?) of the piano songs come from. The reason the piano has songs from the 90s is that to the people of Westworld's time the 90s is the distant past. It's as alien to them as the 1800s are to us now.

Yeah, I mentioned that a few pages back. Kind of like how most people refer to any orchestral music as "classical" regardless of when.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Nov 11, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I feel like I could tell the difference between music of 1816 and the music of 1916, and know that one of them was appropriate for colonial-era America and one wasn't.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

The guy in Bob's photo and robot dad look pretty much the same, right?

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

anatomi posted:

The guy in Bob's photo and robot dad look pretty much the same, right?
Yeah, it's a pic of Ford and the gift "Dadbot" Arnold built for him.

You can either take from it that he was merely mentioning Arnold in reference to the gift when showing it (so the audience would make the obvious mistake of thinking the other man was Arnold) or that the odd framing is to imply that a third person (Arnold) was originally on the far right and was cut/edited out of the photo for 'reasons'.

Nill fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Nov 11, 2016

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

I wonder why the feet are slack like that. The Vitruvian man is well planted on his feet in the circle.

Sagebrush posted:

I noticed that there hasn't been a single Chinese (or otherwise Asian) host yet.

Maeve sees two Asian women hosts slumped in one of the tanks on her tour.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

kimbo305 posted:

I wonder why the feet are slack like that. The Vitruvian man is well planted on his feet in the circle.

It might be because vitruvian man's proportions are actually slightly off. Anatomically correct human might not fit into the circle quite right. Or maybe it's because this is just an inert body - V-man's stance is kind of active and would require conscious muscle control

drowningidiot
Sep 27, 2014
Goddamn Maeve getting the facility tour just bowled me over. Amazing scene.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

kimbo305 posted:

I missed that, but it makes sense. I'm sure there's some kind of Chinese rail worker town somewhere.

Which would actually be super interesting: WW has tons of rich Chinese guests and Chinese rail workers were treated like poo poo. I bet there are some sweet revenge quests.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

RugClockVexx posted:

I thought Maeve was short for Ma Eve, or the biblical Mother of us all, Eve. Also William is clearly a reference to Will I Am, as in I think therefore Will I Am. Proof he's clearly a host that's found the maze and "passed" it, finding freedom. Now he's back for Teary Ho, Delos Barn, his true love.

Meave is Irish, it comes from Méabh (which despite it's spelling is pronounced the same) an evil Queen of Connacht from Irish legend who went to war with Ulster over their most valuable bull.

I know you're messing but I NEVER get to drop knowledge

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Are they ever gonna tell us where the park is? It's gotta be on the moon right?

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Blazing Ownager posted:

Only racism I can think of is from the Confederados in the last episode. They mention something about the good that comes to a brown man who knows his place.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

precision posted:

I'm guessing in future seasons they will explore the outside world.

It's hard to imagine even season 2 at this point. It feels like either a human or android apocalypse is right around the corner.

This is the first time I've heard "anachronistic" referring to the future.

Fooz fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Nov 11, 2016

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Blazing Ownager posted:

Also hygiene. Can you imagine how bad people's teeth were in the 1880s?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
And general hygiene. The past was a place of greater pungency than today. It added a certain olfactory urgency to conversations.

Collateral fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Nov 11, 2016

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
So is Ford an android? I mean how else would he have

Fooz posted:

I'm guessing in future seasons they will explore the outside world.

It's hard to imagine even season 2 at this point. It feels like either a human or android apocalypse is right around the corner.

This is the first time I've heard "anachronistic" referring to the future.

I'm holding out hope for other worlds to be featured in the future. Maybe a cameo heavy episode where we find that Westeros was the basis for MedievalWorld.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

precision posted:

Ford said way back in episode 1 "sentient life on this planet evolved blah blah mistakes blah blah so I hosed up piss off and fix it Bernard"

I'd guess the park's on Earth.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I'm holding out hope for other worlds to be featured in the future. Maybe a cameo heavy episode where we find that Westeros was the basis for MedievalWorld.

Seems like an odd idea to me, the hosts appear to need to be unique to Arnold's hand and Ford's domain for the story to work. Maybe other places would have lesser minded bots?

Yeah, I don't think the clues to the outside world are actually that meaningful. The "weeded out in the embryo" line reads as a figure of speech but started some brave new world talk, and MiB flippantly says stuff about a life of plenty and there's talk of post-scarcity, despite the butchers being desperate for money. The orbital launch facility thing does suggest there's spacefaring in at least some capacity, but there's a big gap between that and interstellar travel or planetary terraforming.

Fooz fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Nov 11, 2016

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
In episode 3, right before Dolores meets up with William and Logan, she shoots the mutton chopped bad guy, but right before that she imagines the MiB standing in front of her. It seems pretty solid that the end of that hallucinating / shooting / fleeing scene is supposed to directly lead to her running into William and Logan. Maybe she can remember future builds too?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Xealot posted:

I missed that, but it makes sense. I'm sure there's some kind of Chinese rail worker town somewhere.

Which would actually be super interesting: WW has tons of rich Chinese guests and Chinese rail workers were treated like poo poo. I bet there are some sweet revenge quests.

They are probably apart of that host labor force that's building Ford's narrative.

I do like that by the way; the fact the park is built by the hosts so free labor!

AvesPKS posted:

In episode 3, right before Dolores meets up with William and Logan, she shoots the mutton chopped bad guy, but right before that she imagines the MiB standing in front of her. It seems pretty solid that the end of that hallucinating / shooting / fleeing scene is supposed to directly lead to her running into William and Logan. Maybe she can remember future builds too?

Unless she actually ended up with William for the same reason his friend said: They sent her out there to keep him entertained since he had a connection with her in town.

By the way, I'm a full convert to the two timeline theory after seeing the amount of work they put into changing the Westworld logo in Ford's flashback scene, and seeing it along side William's introduction. That logo is a little too much damning proof, tiny detail as it is.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 11, 2016

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Nill posted:

Yeah, it's a pic of Ford and the gift "Dadbot" Arnold built for him.

You can either take from it that he was merely mentioning Arnold in reference to the gift when showing it (so the audience would make the obvious mistake of thinking the other man was Arnold) or that the odd framing is to imply that a third person (Arnold) was originally on the far right and was cut/edited out of the photo for 'reasons'.

And I've said that the Dadbot and Arnold might be the same, in that the former is a model of the latter.

Maybe the fact that Arnold's last name hasn't been mentioned, suggests that Arnold is his father maybe?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Sagebrush posted:

If I recall, there was a brief shot of an Asian kid in a coolie hat.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Shageletic posted:

And I've said that the Dadbot and Arnold might be the same, in that the former is a model of the latter.

Maybe the fact that Arnold's last name hasn't been mentioned, suggests that Arnold is his father maybe?

Would be pretty weird to make a robodad that doesn't even recognize its own name.

Also I wouldn't see someone spoken fondly about like Ford speaks of Arnold being a father that would only foster a single good childhood memory (by literally escaping from him into the wilderness all day long), or be someone you'd reprogram into being an abusive alcoholic.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
sorry all, one timeline.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
The one timeframe people are going to look stupid(er) after episode 7

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
and arnold is bernard

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Josh Lyman posted:

Also hygiene. Can you imagine how bad people's teeth were in the 1880s?

Not really that bad. Yes, if you broke or lost a tooth it was probably hard to get it repaired, but the black rotten teeth we imagine everyone in the past having only happens in cultures with excessive sugar consumption. Hardly anyone in the wild west would have been rich enough to do that, and the few people who were still probably couldn't import sugar in large quantities easily. If that seems strange to you, just look at NatGeo pictures of traditional cultures today - lots of beautiful white teeth.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Shageletic posted:

Still doesn't explain the fact that Logan had his best lawyers look into Arnold and could not find any reference of him existing in the real world. That's gotta be a hint that Ford made him up completely or Arnold was a bot designed by Ford to help create better future bots. Arnold then rebelled/got shut down by Ford but was able to upload his programming to the unused satellite to cause troubles in the current timeline.

Or Arnold is actually Ford's brother and it would make sense why Arnold would design their family and themselves as kids as a gift of good times. How would someone who was just a friend even know how your family from childhood looked or interacted? It would also make sense for Ford to keep a picture of his father at his desk (Dadbot is a copy of his father) rather than a picture of a friend/business associate he had. Family photos sort of make more sense.

If Ford is himself a bot on the other hand, that I don't know how it all works out.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 11, 2016

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Not really that bad. Yes, if you broke or lost a tooth it was probably hard to get it repaired, but the black rotten teeth we imagine everyone in the past having only happens in cultures with excessive sugar consumption. Hardly anyone in the wild west would have been rich enough to do that, and the few people who were still probably couldn't import sugar in large quantities easily. If that seems strange to you, just look at NatGeo pictures of traditional cultures today - lots of beautiful white teeth.

Tooth whiteness is also genetic.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Fooz posted:

Tooth whiteness is also genetic.

Within a range, nobody has genetically black "I'm in a period piece and the director is really into body horror" teeth.

RugClockVexx
Aug 15, 2008

Shoehead posted:

Meave is Irish, it comes from Méabh (which despite it's spelling is pronounced the same) an evil Queen of Connacht from Irish legend who went to war with Ulster over their most valuable bull.

I know you're messing but I NEVER get to drop knowledge

Interesting, thanks for the note!

I've been wondering about the dichotomy between Maeve and Dolores. Perhaps Maeve's name is another hint that she'll eventually be an antagonist for Dolores, another side of the awakening consciousness coin. They are definitely headed in the same direction but on separate paths.

I wonder if Dolores wont be more sympathetic to humans because of William. I can see Maeve seeing humans as puny Gods she must upturn and kill.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I imagine that maybe compared to the rest of the show "the robot figures out it's nature and heads towards the singularity" was such a low-hanging-fruit that they just had to make another character to do it. Her plot is really isolated from the rest so far, no other lead has ever given a crap about her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Fooz posted:

Seems like an odd idea to me, the hosts appear to need to be unique to Arnold's hand and Ford's domain for the story to work. Maybe other places would have lesser minded bots?

Yeah, I don't think the clues to the outside world are actually that meaningful. The "weeded out in the embryo" line reads as a figure of speech but started some brave new world talk, and MiB flippantly says stuff about a life of plenty and there's talk of post-scarcity, despite the butchers being desperate for money. The orbital launch facility thing does suggest there's spacefaring in at least some capacity, but there's a big gap between that and interstellar travel or planetary terraforming.

And there was the one guest who mentioned something about MiB's charity saving his sister's life. You generally don't find charities if an entire population is living in luxury.

• Locked thread