Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
You mean aside from Nioh, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

You mean aside from Nioh, right?

I have no clue what that is. A quick google search later and it sounds interesting!

edit - So in reading about Nioh I have no clue how I've never heard of it before, but I'm glad of it as it looks really cool and is apparently only a couple months out. Good stuff.

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 27, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Truthfully I felt even Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1 didn't have very interesting stories or storytelling, but what they did have is a combination of both really good and weirdo game design that made them fascinating to to talk, listen, and read about. I haven't played Bloodborne or Dark Souls 3 yet, but as good and as polished as Dark Souls 2 feels in comparison to me it does seem like just more of the same.

Which is fine, I guess, it's more of a good game.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
In my case, Dark Souls 3 just got a bit tired. It was more of the same, which is great in that DS 1 and 2 are excellent, but the whole cycles formula isn't really giving me much new or exciting anymore. I did enjoy the base game, but probably won't splurge for the DLC. I'd be way more interested in a completely different setting sharing some of the mechanics like Bloodborne did.

It's a shame that DS3 wasn't the ending to the series I heard it would be; then again, the series is probably way too popular to put down until they drain it dry.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
RE4 WOFF just dropped. Four hours :shepface: Just in time for a huge data entry project at work.

E: I'm going to have a huge :spergin:-post when I get through this because I'm a doofus, but while I'm listening to a little bit right now I never bought the Rifle at the start of 1-2. Not just for the money and inventory space issues you mentioned, but also because this part always felt like a tutorial in controlling enemy flow and establishing chokepoints, rather than just sniping stuff. While it's a big open space like the village shootout section, movement around this zone is restricted to set paths so you can get through without much stress if you can make the enemy follow you to certain spots and get into single file to be mowed down (or blown up with one of the explosive barrels in the area). But that's the beauty of the game- despite the game's linearity, there's multiple ways to get through these setpiece encounters.

Honestly I usually never feel like I need a rifle until Chapter 3, it's useful in a few spots around the Village but the pistol is good enough for those bits of precision.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 28, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

"Inventory Tetris" is such a good phrase for RE4's menu system.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I know that this thread is more video game oriented, and while we did do a segment on PSVR impressions in this new Skill and Bones Radio episode, the good stuff is more from the board game segment. We interviewed a couple of locals, the designers of the Evil Dead 2 board game, which is going to print in the next couple weeks. We also talked a history of horror movies with a professor of psychology and utter horror addict.

Thank you for reading my internet post.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Episode 6: Dracula's Cat

https://t.co/fV0L2lxKBv

In this episode of Childish Games, we celebrate Halloween by making the next Castlevania game, Castlevania 8. Featuring the next major character Mr Cat.

I made different editing choices here than I might usually, instead having a more unfiltered experience of recording with my kid. Honestly I think I'll switch back to a more heavy edit hand next time, but this was still a lot of fun.

Listen and find out Dracula's secret origin.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
RE4 WOFF- did either of you backtrack to get the free Broken Butterfly after getting Ashley back in the Castle? For as linear as the game in, that's a pretty sweet reward for backtracking in a game where you don't really need to.

Couple other points from the episode:

--Don't remember if you stated it explicitly, but the real-time difficulty slider also adjusts how many enemies appear in each encounter. For example, if you're on a roll when you go into 3-1's water room it spawns crossbow guys above the room, and send a group of scythe dudes when you lower the stairs with the crank.

--The dead cops you see in 1-1 and 1-3 are indeed your buddies from the intro! The cutscene that plays right after killing the first Ganado in the game shows them getting rammed off a cliff by a truck. If you go back to where they were parked, you get a little scene of Leon looking down at the burning wreck.

--In the first village showdown, Dr. Salvador only shows up if you enter the central house (the one that triggers the cutscene)...the same house that has the shotgun. In another great design move, the game presents a new type of threat and then almost immediately gives you the tool to solve it.

--You can skip some QTE cutscenes that you have to do over, it just takes you to right before the QTE. I remember it particularly in the Mendez fight- I kept loving up the spot where he grabs you to choke you out, so skipping through would you take you to right after he twists the door handles shut.

--The reason the Novistadores in 4-2 are easier to kill is because Novistadores are one-shotted when flying :eng101: This is also useful in 4-1 when they ambush you at the hive (which you can blow up!)

--Sliding block puzzles are universally garbage, but the only that Ashley does has an easy solve- you slide the center of the symbol to the middle and then just rotate everything clockwise until it's solved. Trust me, I memorized that as soon as I figured it out.

Also I never understood the term "wide-on" until you used it in context, so thanks for that I guess. Great ep, I love this game and am replaying it so I can't help but :spergin: when talking about it.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Oct 29, 2016

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I'd just like to mention that I absolutely lost my poo poo at Zack's Klax joke in the latest VGHD.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

greatn posted:

Episode 6: Dracula's Cat

https://t.co/fV0L2lxKBv

please never stop

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I guess no one posts in this god drat thread anymore but in case anyone does follow it and not the offsite Duckfeed community, Duckstream 2016 is this weekend

http://duckfeed.tv/duckstream

As usual the proceeds benefit Transactive, which is a great charity in Portland that provides services for trans kids and their families

In case you haven't been following US politics at all, it's possible they'll really need the support in the coming year (:iiam:), so watch sad pod boys and pitch in if you want

Baku fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 11, 2016

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

wizard on a water slide posted:

I guess no one posts in this god drat thread anymore

I'm still here, for what it's worth, but I felt like my last two or three posts being pimping myself on Megaten Marathon (who had me skype in briefly for SMT1-3) was tasteless.

I am morbidly curious to what this week's VGA is going to sound like given that it's got two hosts and is just called "A Bad Episode For A Bad Week" at half the usual length. I am probably gonna finish this one!

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
There's not really much to say unless something happens. I found out when the Summer of Cum was so my main question has been answered and I can do a retrospective.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
In my heart, the Summer of Cum will never end.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Cum is eternal but there's a certain historical charm to that fateful summer.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Oh, when I look back now
That summer seemed to last forever
And if I had the choice
Yeah, I'd always wanna be there
Those were the best days of my life

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Also the Duckfeed boys just crossed another patreon tier, meaning that there will now be a show about REM. That's kind of insane.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
I love podcasts that deep dive and focus on one really specific topic. I can't wait.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Uh, I know this isn't like a request line or anything but for all you retro-gaming podcast folk, doing a show on theme park simulators in the near future would be pretty cool. Being a big amusement park fan, I've long loved the genre and after years of fading into obscurity , it's back big time.

For those that aren't aware there are several games on the precipice of release. Planet Coaster comes out next Friday (you can play in the beta if you pre-purchase) and it's amazing. It's made by Frontier, the folks behind the beloved Roller Coaster Tycoon series. It's the modern realization of that. There is another game coming out in the near future that's also really good thus far- Parkitect. It's a small indie theme park sim currently in early access on Steam, but it's already really stout. Planet Coaster is full on 3d with fantastic graphics, etc whereas Parkitect is more stylized and harkens back to Roller Coaster Tycoon 1 and 2's type of play. Also coming out next week, a day before Planet Coaster, is Roller Coaster Tycoon World. This game is complete poo poo though and just a cash in on the license.

Anyways, Theme Park, Roller Coaster Tycoon 1/2/3, and Sim Theme Park have always been some of my favorite games. There is enough material there to warrant a pretty kickass discussion I think.

On a different topic I just listened to the Retronauts micro with Kole, Gary and Bob discussing gaming podcasts and I appreciated the discussion. I have some podcast experience (production and hosting) thanks to some non-gaming, work related endeavors and I've long wanted to start a World of Warcraft show that takes a BFSC-type look at different zones within the game, how they've changed over the life of it, specific story beats, easter-eggs, etc....but I can never quite get started. I think your little mini-cast may of finally pushed me over the edge to give it the college try, so thanks for that.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I've long wanted to start a World of Warcraft show that takes a BFSC-type look at different zones within the game, how they've changed over the life of it, specific story beats, easter-eggs, etc.

I'll throw in and say that I have been wishing something like this existed. A lot of WoW zones actually have pretty neat storylines that get glossed over for the desire to just blaze through them as fast as possible, and that's a bit of a shame. Plus it would be a neat way to revisit those zones and stories without having to dedicate the dozens to hundreds of hours to play through it all.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm down to listen to a WoW podcast like that. Make sure your mic isn't poo poo, and I'm in.

I enjoyed my time with WoW, but he prospect of rejoining it is like a cliff face of EVE-like proportions.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I would listen to that podcast too. I remember the first time my guild and I tried to do the Deathwing questline and ended up in the throne room of Stormwind fighting dragonkin. And the Scarlet Monastery quest line that starts in a zone for the 20s and ends up in the ruins of Stratholm in the 50s. I was always the type of do every quest in the zone to try and get the most story content out of the game so it would be exactly my poo poo. My title suggestion is The World of World of Warcraft.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

END ME SCOOB posted:

Also the Duckfeed boys just crossed another patreon tier, meaning that there will now be a show about REM. That's kind of insane.

I actually donated to them (and a couple other podcasts) last night, glad to see it meant something :toot:

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

they were like 2 dollars short and I increased my support just felt like pushing them OTT don't particularly love REM

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

My title suggestion is The World of World of Warcraft.

The idea I've had floating around to title it is "The Green Hills of Stranglethorn". Long time players will get the reference :)

Appreciate the sentiments all, nice to know there are others who wish something like this existed. I've played WoW on and off since the OG beta in mid 2004 and while their are various decent podcasts to get news/updates/etc, I have never found a good nostalgia driven one. I just want someone to wax poetic about barrens chat drat-it! Actually, the Barrens is the idea for the first episode as that place has a lot of history within the universe and community. I figure if I can't drum up an entertaining show with that subject matter (Chuck Norris jokes! Ganking! Mankrik! The Memorial Spirit Healer!) then I have no place doing this in the first place. It's also one of the areas that's had the most change since launch. Assuming I get over my crippling bout of self doubt and can drum up the necessary production values to do something like this justice, perhaps over the upcoming holidays I can get rolling. Thanks thread.

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Nov 11, 2016

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
A few years back someone on the forums did a LP of WoW that was a lot like you described; basically just a tour of different zones and what's happened in each. I don't know if it ever got finished but it might be worth looking up for ideas.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm editing my next Childish Games for release, it's a weird one with Claffy, Finasal Fantasy, Mega Man, and Chrono Trigger. The main trouble is we had to stop for a potty break and forgot to finish it, and this was months ago.

And yesterday we recorded maybe the funniest stuff I've ever recorded with him, can but there's about five episodes in the pipeline in front of it.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i've never really been able to get into WoW but a podcast like that sounds real interesting from an outsider's point of view, getting to see what the fuss is all about lore-wise and all the changes that have happened during the past decade in a more digestible format than like, wikidiving

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

That sounds like a lovely concept, I'd totally be interested in listening to it! It reminds me a bit of WarCraft Less Traveled, a mostly defunct podcast that had short episodes detailing innocuous little curiosities that are tucked away in the game world and most players would never see.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Urdnot Fire posted:

That sounds like a lovely concept, I'd totally be interested in listening to it! It reminds me a bit of WarCraft Less Traveled, a mostly defunct podcast that had short episodes detailing innocuous little curiosities that are tucked away in the game world and most players would never see.

I've actually listened to that show and it's an influence for this idea. Where they focused more on the smaller stuff though, I'd like to tie that in with the macro stuff for this project. I've been developing a show plan with my good friend that intends to co-host and we are planning on doing two pilots- one on the Barrens and then a smaller second episode detailing the insanity that was the vanilla launch period. I'm really looking forward to this.

edit- My friend loves World of World of Warcraft, as do I. Great suggestion. The classic Onion skit involving that was fantastic. Question for you people that are more in the know compared to me when it comes to legality....wouldn't that be an issue having "World of Warcraft" in the name?

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Nov 11, 2016

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Just abbreviate it, should be fine

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
That WoW thing is a really neat idea. I've thought for a long time that a cool - and admittedly incredibly ambitious - project would be a Let's Play of WoW that basically functioned that way. The poster and some friends would create a party and play through the game the way you're "supposed to", questing through zones, doing dungeons when quests send you there, etc. Screenshots for the bulk of leveling stuff, video for things like boss battles. Along the way you'd get a ton of opportunities for asides about lore and writing, the history of the game's development, the design of zones, etc and establish an organic silly narrative of who the characters are. I think it'd generate a lot of interest both from WoW players discussing and debating and from outsiders who've always wondered from afar what the gently caress the game's deal was, what it was about, if it was any good, etc.

Maybe stuff like this exists, and I just haven't seen it? Either way, it's an incredibly huge and important game to have not been the subject of a ton of critical inquisition into what it is and how it works (or doesn't).

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Duckstream's on. Kole's got a lot of hats on.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Duckstream was a blast. Amazing to see them raise more than twice the initial goal.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Chris' brief diatribe on how Twilight and Titanfall 2 are thematically similar symbolizes why I continue to listen to Idle Thumbs :allears:

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Congrats on all the money you raised Duckfeed gents. That's awesome.

The WoWoW: World of World of Warcraft Podcast (thanks One Year Later!) is all set to go. My longtime friend / soon to be co-host and I spent a good portion of the weekend mapping out the first episodes, researching, gathering the recording equipment and then test recording via Skype and we were all set to get moving last night.....when my dumbass couldn't figure out how to get Skype to input into the second channel of Adobe Audition. Was googling it last night and couldn't find it on the spot so we will try again when I get that squared away.

Before going further into it, is Audition what most of you use to record? Any other recommendations? I generally have a good amount of experience with other Adobe products (after effects, premiere, photoshop, indesign, etc) but I'm finding Audition frustrating to try wrap my head around.

Also, when researching the Barrens it's amazing how much stuff I had forgotten. That place was HUGE back before the split. If any of you have any particularly funny Barrens stories or anecdotes, feel free to share them and I'll try to work some of them into the narrative. I'll go post this on the WoW subforum as well.

Thanks again for the help/inspiration.

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Nov 15, 2016

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Hey, dudes! Can I talk about my own podcast here? I may have mentioned it before, but I didn't see it...I sure don't want to look like I'm spamming and crying for attention. But I really want to share this project, and more significantly, I want people to listen!

It's called the The Spoony Bard's Aural Theatre.

It's a project between my girlfriend and I in which we use all the original dialogue from an old game exactly as it was written, and we make a radio drama retelling of it. The first game we're doing is Final Fantasy IV, using the dialogue from the Playstation 1 Final Fantasy Chronicles localization (because the original American release of Final Fantasy II was goofy as poo poo.) Girlfriend writes some narrative dialogue, and we voice the characters, and we use the original SNES game's music and sound effects. Each episode is 45 - 60 minutes long. We've done five episodes so far, with one extra episode about the project and also going to the Portland Retro Games Expo. We release episodes on the 1st and the 15th of every month.

Right now it's just Girlfriend and I. Our first "season" exists as kind of a proof of concept. After this game is done, we want to do others, and we definitely want to recruit others to lend their voices. I'm working on the script for Fallout 1, but that game is pretty massive compared to Final Fantasy IV so it's taking a while. I don't know what game we're going to do next; probably another linear SNES title. She wants to do a Shin Megami Tensei game, which is something I'm not especially familiar with. When we have a script ready, I'm going to be bugging any goons who has a decent mic to help out!

Anyway, please give us a listen! Or rate us or whatever one does on iTunes. Post a comment on our Facebook. Help us increase our listener base from Girlfriend's Mom to Girlfriend's Mom + You!

Website
Episodes
RSS
Facebook

I love you all.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
I was half expecting some cringey, hastily thrown together project given that's how I imagine a lot of "girlfriend and I" podcasts end up, but I just skimmed a bit and it's anything but that. I'm impressed with the editing and it sounds like there's a nice collection of music used to supplement the dialogue. I never actually played FFIV but I might give this a listen through all the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Well, it is definitely cringe-worthy in some places. We're both pretty new at this. I've never done voice acting before and I'm doing like a dozen voices. But when I listen to it, I definitely feel like the last episode is much greater than the first one, and so I can at least perceive improvement. It is my ambition to create a broad enough group of fans and/or contributors that we can release episodes weekly and have a retinue of actors willing to lend their vocal talents. There's so many games I'd like to turn into audio drama adaptations!

For someone who hasn't played FFIV, there are some things that I wonder if they will make any sense at all...or even for those who have played it. Like, there are parts where text appears on the screen but it isn't really attributed to anyone, or when a dialogue bit just says "......?!" These are tricky to vocalize, or tricky to determine who must be talking. We're trying to maintain an objective, neutral narration, where we assume nothing beyond what is portrayed on the screen. Like, one of the first problems we ran into was Girlfriend (who was writing the script) was talking about Cecil feeling guilt over his actions. Well, that is obvious, because we can make assumptions based on body language and a flashback and the music, but at the same time it isn't ever said he feels guilty. So we hope that by describing what is shown ("Cecil hangs his head and thinks back on his actions...") it can still be translated through these mediums.