Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Thanks to this thread I'm finally checking out Rivers of London. It arrives Tuesday!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Thanks to this thread I'm finally checking out Rivers of London. It arrives Tuesday!

Man, you are going to love that series a lot more than Dresden.

So many puns and references to things, and great jokes that you might miss if you aren't paying attention like a discussion about not calling evil wizards "black magicians".

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Man, you are going to love that series a lot more than Dresden.

So many puns and references to things, and great jokes that you might miss if you aren't paying attention like a discussion about not calling evil wizards "black magicians".

I'm really excited for it! It seems like a thread favorite.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback
Rivers of London is good and well-written. Audiobook version is also one of the better things I have listened to. If you enjoy Rivers of London, you may want to go for Alex Verus, too. I just finished the first one and enjoyed it.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Does John M. Ford's The Last Hot Time ever get mentioned in this thread? I imagine not, since it was published in 2001, isn't part of a series, he died ten years ago, and it isn't on Kindle.

But it's really quite good. I'd definitely buy a lot of his earlier (non-urban) fantasy back catalog if they ever converted it to Kindle for some reason.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Does John M. Ford's The Last Hot Time ever get mentioned in this thread? I imagine not, since it was published in 2001, isn't part of a series, he died ten years ago, and it isn't on Kindle.

But it's really quite good. I'd definitely buy a lot of his earlier (non-urban) fantasy back catalog if they ever converted it to Kindle for some reason.

It's been mentioned a few times, by myself at least twice over the year(s). It really is a darn good book.

quote:

When Danny Holman leaves the cornfields of Iowa for the bright lights of Chicago, he expects his life to change. He just can't guess how much and how fast. A violent incident on the road brings Danny the favor of a man known only as Mr. Patrise, who gives Danny a job, a home, and a new identity.
The City is a different world from the one Danny--now called Doc--knew, and literally so. Long-vanished powers have returned, and more is going on in the streets than nightlife and street warfare. Power is gathering: a power rooted in terror, madness, and death. To fight it will require Doc to face what he fears most. To defeat it will take something more than courage.

There is an error-free digitized version, though. Out there. I've read this one, and Dragon Waiting, and enjoyed them both a great deal. Very different stories, though. Is there another of his books you'd particularly recommend?

Drifter fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Nov 9, 2016

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Rivers of London is good and well-written. Audiobook version is also one of the better things I have listened to. If you enjoy Rivers of London, you may want to go for Alex Verus, too. I just finished the first one and enjoyed it.

Still pretty pissed that I can't get the new one until the end of January because I committed the terrible sins of being born in and subsequently living in North America.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Nov 9, 2016

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Fearless posted:

Still pretty pissed that I can't get the new one until the end of January because I committed the terrible sins of being born in and subsequently living in North America.

Sure you can, so long as you don't mind a physical copy.

You can get a digital copy if you're willing to play around with the regional settings on your Kindle. Same (probably) goes for the audiobook.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Ornamented Death posted:

Sure you can, so long as you don't mind a physical copy.

You can get a digital copy if you're willing to play around with the regional settings on your Kindle. Same (probably) goes for the audiobook.

I didn't want to buy a physical copy and I prefer to support an author I enjoy, so thank you for this.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Okay, I was able to get in the first chapter of Rivers of London (unfortunately Amazon is only selling the mass market version of the paperback, wish I had paid attention to that) and the dry humor is freaking perfect and the writing itself doesn't grate, which works!

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 9, 2016

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.
I just got current on Libriomancer, and they were great. I don't get the hate they get in here. I think the author well-addressed the struggle of someone being created for a purpose that they despise. I like that the struggle is to be more than you were designed/raised to be. For example, I like things now that I scoffed at when I was younger. In the future, I may stop liking some things I currently enjoy. Do those changes make me bad or wrong? Are we ever really the same person we were last year? Last decade? These are Lena's struggles and they are also humanity's struggles.

I'm on the most recent book of Faust, The Castle Doctrine, right now, and so far I don't like it quite as much as the last one, but I'm liking it well enough. Faust books are always over so fast :eng99:

Blasphemeral fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 10, 2016

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
Finished the second London book and I hope he doesn't do the obvious thing of having Leslie become an ethically challenged magician by way of looking for increasingly morally bankrupt ways to fix her face. But I have faith that she'll be a good magic copper.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

owl milk posted:

Finished the second London book and I hope he doesn't do the obvious thing of having Leslie become an ethically challenged magician by way of looking for increasingly morally bankrupt ways to fix her face. But I have faith that she'll be a good magic copper.

Well, you'll get your answer.
Prepare for massive disappointment. God knows I was.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Blasphemeral posted:

... I'm on the most recent book of Faust, The Castle Doctrine, right now, and so far I don't like it quite as much as the last one, but I'm liking it well enough. Faust books are always over so fast :eng99:

I finished it last night. While I think I still like the book slightly less than the last one, overall, the ending leaves me REALLY excited for the next one!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Finished The Hanging Tree.

quote:

In short I'm going to keep writing them until I'm dead or my son takes over.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
drat, I just started Daniel Faust by listening to the first audio book at work. I'm 25 minutes in (Daniel is talking to a guy down in the storm tunnels under the city) and just got to the line "Nah man, that kid? She's still down here. And she ain't happy about it." and god the willies real hard. I hope the books stay this good, they're making me think of something akin to a grittier, darker Dresden Files.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Magres posted:

drat, I just started Daniel Faust ... I hope the books stay this good, they're making me think of something akin to a grittier, darker Dresden Files.

That's basically how I describe them... "Imagine if Dresden didn't necessarily think of himself as the good guy, got into the same kinda throwdowns but was less powerful and had to be more clever as a result and, oh yeah, every book is structured like a heist."

Glorious series.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

An actual heist, mind you, not what, say, Jim Butcher thinks is a heist.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

Magres posted:

drat, I just started Daniel Faust by listening to the first audio book at work. I'm 25 minutes in (Daniel is talking to a guy down in the storm tunnels under the city) and just got to the line "Nah man, that kid? She's still down here. And she ain't happy about it." and god the willies real hard. I hope the books stay this good, they're making me think of something akin to a grittier, darker Dresden Files.

Prepare yourself, the first book has a really bad case of insta-romance, which Schaefer has said he regularly kicks himself over -- he was going for something (something spoilery which becomes a plot point around book four or so), and wasn't a good enough writer to pull it off yet. That gets course-corrected pretty fast, and a few books in, the central relationship is solid (as are all the other ones -- Faust's whole supporting cast is awesome.) And yeah, you're in for a treat, each book more or less gets better than the last one. You can also look forward to body horror, cannibalism, kinky sex, cold-blooded torture (performed on and by the protagonists), heists, more heists, and heroes who will not hesitate to shoot their problems in the face.

Weirdly, especially by the most recent book in the series, a Dresden parallel occurred to me: Daniel Faust is almost the guy Jim Butcher thinks Marcone is. Like Harry's always going "that Marcone is such an evil gangster!" but we generally just see Marcone being a polite middle-manager and protecting children. You know Marcone must do some heinous poo poo, considering he's a crime boss, but Butcher keeps most of it off the page (presumably for reader sympathy). Faust explicitly blackmails and murders people all over the drat place.

And it's Schaefer, so when you finish the last book, well, you haven't, because he just wrote another one five minutes ago.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Look at goodreads, it has a Book #1.5 - should I be looking at actually reading that before Book #2 or is it more of a 'prequel to the later books that occurs mid-series, chronologically' kind of deal where I should be reading the books in release order and just enjoying the trip back down memory lane?

Also :stare: at when Faust watches a certain set of videos for research. That was real, real hosed up. I'm guessing that stuff is par for the course within the books? Just wondering, it doesn't really bother me, but my fiance and I tend to listen to and/or read stuff together and she's more squeamish than I am.

Magres fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 11, 2016

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

Magres posted:

Look at goodreads, it has a Book #1.5 - should I be looking at actually reading that before Book #2 or is it more of a 'prequel to the later books that occurs mid-series, chronologically' kind of deal where I should be reading the books in release order and just enjoying the trip back down memory lane?

Also :stare: at when Faust watches a certain set of videos for research. That was real, real hosed up.

It's chronological, it's just not part of the overarching storyline so you can read it whenever; I'd read it after book one. Definitely read it before Castle Doctrine, because two characters introduced in 1.5 (and IIRC aren't in any of the other books) make a reappearance. And yuuuuuuup, welcome to the Faustverse! Wait 'till you meet Naavarasi in book two...

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

StonecutterJoe posted:

Weirdly, especially by the most recent book in the series, a Dresden parallel occurred to me: Daniel Faust is almost the guy Jim Butcher thinks Marcone is. Like Harry's always going "that Marcone is such an evil gangster!" but we generally just see Marcone being a polite middle-manager and protecting children. You know Marcone must do some heinous poo poo, considering he's a crime boss, but Butcher keeps most of it off the page (presumably for reader sympathy). Faust explicitly blackmails and murders people all over the drat place.

Eh.

Faust also has that whole 'live by the sword, die by the sword' thing going. In the books, you never really see him going after anybody who doesn't actually deserve it. The people he gets into fights with are all various flavors of "criminal scum". Hell, when he sets out to rob Eckho's shop just because he needs money, it turns out that Eckho is some kind of evil super-lich who deserves it. He's a grittier grimdarker version of Vlad Taltos.

The better parallel to Marcone is Nicky Agnelli, really. If Dresden got to see Marcone having people tortured with a drill a few times as an example, he'd seem a lot more of the Evil Ganglord and a lot less Goldhearted Gangster.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

Khizan posted:

The better parallel to Marcone is Nicky Agnelli, really. If Dresden got to see Marcone having people tortured with a drill a few times as an example, he'd seem a lot more of the Evil Ganglord and a lot less Goldhearted Gangster.

This is true. Daniel actually tries to get the Twins to not kill anyone they don't have to. Nicky gives them power tools and car batteries.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

StonecutterJoe posted:

Prepare yourself, the first book has a really bad case of insta-romance, which Schaefer has said he regularly kicks himself over -- he was going for something (something spoilery which becomes a plot point around book four or so), and wasn't a good enough writer to pull it off yet. That gets course-corrected pretty fast, and a few books in, the central relationship is solid (as are all the other ones -- Faust's whole supporting cast is awesome.) And yeah, you're in for a treat, each book more or less gets better than the last one. You can also look forward to body horror, cannibalism, kinky sex, cold-blooded torture (performed on and by the protagonists), heists, more heists, and heroes who will not hesitate to shoot their problems in the face.

And it's Schaefer, so when you finish the last book, well, you haven't, because he just wrote another one five minutes ago.

Faust is Dresden in a world with no White Council.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

MeLKoR posted:

Faust is Dresden in a world with no White Council.

That, or the White Council is just concerned with much bigger things (like directly opposing the Smiling Man) and we haven't seen them yet.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:

biracial bear for uncut posted:

That, or the White Council is just concerned with much bigger things (like directly opposing the Smiling Man) and we haven't seen them yet.

Considering neither Chicago, Las Vegas nor the demon courts have mentioned any council, and Dan pointing out that trying to form a council is the easiest way to get yourself killed in a world where dying comes easily, I doubt there's a council.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

GET INTO DA CHOPPA posted:

Considering neither Chicago, Las Vegas nor the demon courts have mentioned any council, and Dan pointing out that trying to form a council is the easiest way to get yourself killed in a world where dying comes easily, I doubt there's a council.

IIRC, there's a comment at one point that someone tried to start a council and got found in an alley with their junk cut off and shoved down their throat, so yeah. The closest thing to a White Council is probably Vigilant Lock, which is a very sad thing because Vigilant Lock is loving terrible. That's not a meta-complaint, I'm enjoying the Harmony spin-off so far, but in-universe holy poo poo are they out of their league. Like, the "foremost defense against occult threats" has four teams, and by the start of Red Knight Falling one is perpetually out of the country on shady business, one is embedded inside Appl-- *cough* Diehl Innovations and can't do anything else, and one just got lined up and shot execution-style. And they have so few resources they can't even spend the time or manpower to do anything about it. (And the prologue to Red Knight makes it pretty clear they're either being manipulated for nefarious reasons or just facing bureaucratic meddling on a staggering level.) It's half Delta Green, half Paranoia.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPlz_3rbjN4&t=1878s

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I have zero shame, I purchased this: https://thetinkerspacks.com/collections/apparel/products/polka-tee

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I'm irrationally annoyed the vertical stroke of the "L" isn't centered on the blade.

That being said I would totally wear this just for the confusion it would cause among my friends who fall outside then Venn Diagram of "Knows Star Wars" and "Knows Dresden Files"

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

I own and wear this shirt regularly :v:

I know like 3 people who get the reference

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
That is awesome.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

I own and wear this shirt regularly :v:

I know like 3 people who get the reference

Same here, but I don't think anyone I know does. :(

I got mine back during the initial fundraiser, looks like the price went up a bit. I remember there was a bit of a fuss over someone selling knockoffs.

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

I wear that regularly and only one person has got it so far. Better than zero I suppose.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

I just finished the first two Libromancer books. Series is a decent enough romp to tide me over while I wait. Goddamnit Gutenberg is a prick.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Xtanstic posted:

I just finished the first two Libromancer books. Series is a decent enough romp to tide me over while I wait. Goddamnit Gutenberg is a prick.

Gutenberg was right.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
So uhh, this might not be the place with it but after my RPG group failed to start up Dresden Files RPG (Lot of effort to make a city) we are starting up Urban Shadows. Kind of has the same urban fantasy premise and the system is more focused on Story rather than mechanics. Has anyone tried it out?

Also any urban fantasy novels with a "Deal with the devil" protagonist?

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
Not 100% sure what you mean by that, but the Sandman Slim series opens with the protagonist escaping from actual Hell and Lucifer is a character in the books

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Exmond posted:

So uhh, this might not be the place with it but after my RPG group failed to start up Dresden Files RPG (Lot of effort to make a city) we are starting up Urban Shadows. Kind of has the same urban fantasy premise and the system is more focused on Story rather than mechanics. Has anyone tried it out?

Yes, it's a lot of fun, and it can definitely feel like Dresden Files (or most urban fantasy, for that matter). Trad Games would be more appropriate for the RPG-specific chat, if you like; I think Urban Shadows is covered in the Powered by the Apocalypse thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Exmond posted:

DFRPG uses the FATE system which people either really like or can't stand. I am in the latter category.

What I don't like about Urban Shadows is that like its parent system, Apocalypse World, it's kinda designed for inter-player conflict. Each player is a power player, doing their own thing, growing their own power base and working on their own problems and where their interests and storylines cross, it often puts them in the opposing sides of things. I personally find that deeply unenjoyable in RPGs. You might actually like it, I dunno. And I suppose you could not run it like that, if you wanted to.

There are a few more UF RPGs that use AW's framework. Monster of the Week's premise is a more conventional one of a team of badasses hunting monsters, but it's not that great mechanically. Although I haven't played the second edition, they might have fixed poo poo. Monsterhearts is about teenage monsters at a high school loving and murdering each other, I think. Goons seem to like it. Take a look at City of Mist's starter kit and see if that interests you. Actually, everyone check out the link, the graphic design on that one is amazing.

You could also check out poo poo like Bloodshadows, Nameless Streets, CJ Carella's Witchcraft, Unknown Armies, The Laundry RPG, Part-Time Gods, any of Abstract Nova's weird-rear end but awesome games, or, if you want to go a bit more horror, the whole huge World of Darkness and Call of Cthulhu/Trial of Cthulhu libraries.

EDIT: On the books about the devil, I've read neither, but:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22543948-the-devil-s-detective

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/26114229-red-right-hand

Megazver fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 29, 2016