Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Factor Mystic posted:

What happened when you tired it?

Hung forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Well, that's certainly interesting. Now every time I open a file, it pops up the Open With dialog once per "new" file type I open. Of about every file extension. Looks like this installation is going up poo poo creek.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
It's probably not intended behaviour, but I've gotten used to force-quitting Edge whenever I eventually give in to Windows' update nagging, since there doesn't seem to be a proper way to close-and-restore multiple windows' worth of tabs. I guess you're just supposed to leave it running during the restart and let Windows handle it, but I'm never going to risk that, and my strategy hasn't failed yet...

That's about the worst issue I'm having with W10 though, so I can't really complain. Keep meaning to check out the Linux stuff but I don't need it and can just wait until it's a little more complete/functional/not-broken.

(P.S.: Edge is a Good Browser)

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

loquacius posted:

Hung forever

Ask about it on the WSL github repo

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Combat Pretzel posted:

Well, that's certainly interesting. Now every time I open a file, it pops up the Open With dialog once per "new" file type I open. Of about every file extension. Looks like this installation is going up poo poo creek.

If you install software that 'claims' all the file open privileges, windows will detect this and re-prompt you to confirm if you want to actually change the current association to the new application when you open a file type that was changed.

I'm not really sure if there is a better solution to this mess. Allowing applications to change the associated file handlers arbitrarily was a bad move, but an interface for managing them seems difficult to construct without becoming bloated and unusable. :/

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Something keeps disabling AdBlock in Edge; is there any way of telling what? About the dodgiest site I go on is mangareader, so I'm at a loss. Defender and Malwarebytes are turning up nothing.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Something keeps disabling AdBlock in Edge; is there any way of telling what? About the dodgiest site I go on is mangareader, so I'm at a loss. Defender and Malwarebytes are turning up nothing.

Quick Googling suggests this is because Edge won't automatically run 'unrecognized' extensions. I assume you're using a beta build which is not signed or whatever it is Edge expects.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!
Anyone have any idea why Windows would refuse to remember my folder settings? Like I prefer all my folders to always be in details view with the columns Name, Type, Date Modified, Size. Sorted by type first then name. Ever since upgrading to Windows 10 a bit over a year ago it keeps forgetting this setting though. Half the time I open folders it seems to forget whatever sorting mode/columns I've set it to. Other folders mostly stay in details mode but my User Folder often even resets to Medium Icons for some reason. The others still often sort by name instead of type or have a bunch of useless columns I never want because Windows thinks they're audio folders or video folders or whatever and even though I've set audio folders(and ever other type of folder I've encountered) to just have Name, Type, Date Modified, and Size and selected Apply To Folders it refuses to actually remember that setting even on the single folder I've manually set it on let alone to all folders of its type.

I really just want all folders to display exactly the same way. It seems like this should be easy, like it used to be. Bonus points if there's any way to make the first column, Name, always expand/contract to fill the size of the explorer window. That'd be amazing but I doubt it's possible.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I have to reinstall my operating system, Win 10 Pro Aniversary 64bit. I have a digital license, it is not associated with a Microsoft account. Will this gently caress me over during a reinstall? Considering my system is screwed pretty bad at this point, I don't have any faith in the built in "reinstall" feature, will that effect my activation? If I sell my soul to the devil link my license to a Microsoft account, will Windows harass me into storing all my poo poo on OneDrive?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Reinstalling on the same hardware will not require jumping through additional hoops.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Windows 10 has an online database that ties your motherboard to the license key, so as long as you're activated now it will activate again automatically after a reinstall. Just skip when you get to the step that asks for the key.

The built in reset is pretty nice too so try that first if you're going to flatten anyway.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Help me brainstorm why I'm having a problem upgrading one of my machines to the Anniversary Update. Windows 10 Pro N, running Version 1511 (10586.679).

It shows up in Windows Update, but when I try to install it eventually reports "Feature update to Windows 10 N, version 1607 - Error 0x8007001f".

Googling didn't reveal much about this particular error. The install is otherwise up to date with updates. Attempting to install via the updated Media Creation Tool arrives at the same thing (I think it's the same error, iirc from the last time I tried). sfc /scannow came back clear.

Event Viewer does show installation attempts that have errored out. Here's the most recent two:

* "Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x8007001F: Feature update to Windows 10 N, version 1607." <--- same error code as in the Windows Update UI.

* "Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x8024200D: Feature update to Windows 10 N, version 1607." <--- different error code, which possibly indicates a problem with the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (which is odd, since all other updates download & install fine). But I ran the BITS troubleshooter in Control Panel, which allegedly did find a misconfiguration (I have not screwed around with these settings on this machine), so that's one thing maybe fixed. While I was in here, I also ran the troubleshooter for Windows Update, which also allegedly fixed a problem (also have not messed around with WU on this machine).

Not domain joined, no policy to block the update. I'm having trouble thinking up new things to try. Any ideas?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Fairly random guess, but all sorts of random errors can happen when doing major updates when logged in as standard user that disappear when actually logged in as administrator, versus elevating the process.

Also, I'd attempt to force it through by downloading the newest install media manually and starting the upgrade process from there.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone else experience issues with a paging file error upon boot into Windows 10?

I've got 32GB of RAM installed, so it should not be an issue. I've tried everything from turning it off, to setting it manually or letting windows manage it. It usually just gives me the generic "there was a problem with the paging file and windows has set one for you (around 4600MB) each reboot.

I'd really not like to hard wipe my OS drive to fix this.

Side note: If I extra drives attached(SSD or platter) attached, what should their settings be or only the OS drive needs one?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

EconOutlines posted:

Anyone else experience issues with a paging file error upon boot into Windows 10?

I've got 32GB of RAM installed, so it should not be an issue. I've tried everything from turning it off, to setting it manually or letting windows manage it. It usually just gives me the generic "there was a problem with the paging file and windows has set one for you (around 4600MB) each reboot.

I'd really not like to hard wipe my OS drive to fix this.

Side note: If I extra drives attached(SSD or platter) attached, what should their settings be or only the OS drive needs one?

I'm running 32GB RAM as well and my OS-managed page file is around the same size with no problems. Unless you have special circumstances you only usually need one, it can be left disabled on other drives. Usually it goes on the system drive, but occasionally there can be a benefit from putting it elsewhere. With that much RAM it really shouldn't matter, it's not getting touched often one way or another.

If you're having constant page file errors I'd check your SMART stats and see if your disk might be having trouble.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

wolrah posted:

I'm running 32GB RAM as well and my OS-managed page file is around the same size with no problems. Unless you have special circumstances you only usually need one, it can be left disabled on other drives. Usually it goes on the system drive, but occasionally there can be a benefit from putting it elsewhere. With that much RAM it really shouldn't matter, it's not getting touched often one way or another.

If you're having constant page file errors I'd check your SMART stats and see if your disk might be having trouble.

No SMART errors, which baffles me as well. I thought it might be the memory but memtest came back with nothing after 36 hours as well.

Its the just the error box every reboot that gets me, setting its own page file. No crashes or other errors.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Factor Mystic posted:

Help me brainstorm why I'm having a problem upgrading one of my machines to the Anniversary Update. Windows 10 Pro N, running Version 1511 (10586.679).

It shows up in Windows Update, but when I try to install it eventually reports "Feature update to Windows 10 N, version 1607 - Error 0x8007001f".

Googling didn't reveal much about this particular error. The install is otherwise up to date with updates. Attempting to install via the updated Media Creation Tool arrives at the same thing (I think it's the same error, iirc from the last time I tried). sfc /scannow came back clear.

Event Viewer does show installation attempts that have errored out. Here's the most recent two:

* "Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x8007001F: Feature update to Windows 10 N, version 1607." <--- same error code as in the Windows Update UI.

* "Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x8024200D: Feature update to Windows 10 N, version 1607." <--- different error code, which possibly indicates a problem with the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (which is odd, since all other updates download & install fine). But I ran the BITS troubleshooter in Control Panel, which allegedly did find a misconfiguration (I have not screwed around with these settings on this machine), so that's one thing maybe fixed. While I was in here, I also ran the troubleshooter for Windows Update, which also allegedly fixed a problem (also have not messed around with WU on this machine).

Not domain joined, no policy to block the update. I'm having trouble thinking up new things to try. Any ideas?

Well, I figured it out. First, I downloaded the MCT to a usb stick, rather than doing it in place. I thought this small amount of variation could give different information. It did. This time the error was decoded as "We can't tell if your PC has enough space to continue". This is a huge breakthrough. I did have enough space, but the issue wasn't that I didn't have enough space, it was that Windows couldn't tell. That lead my to believe it could be related to that I'm native dual booting this on a MacBook Pro (not all partitions are accessible from Windows). A bit of research indicated that some people had success resetting the NVRAM. I thought, "That's weird, I didn't make any cha- wait." Turns out, I forgot that I had customized an NVRAM variable to disable the OS X startup chime. I deleted that NVRAM variable, booted back to Windows, and Windows Update started the upgrade no problem.

Computers, man.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I've got a weird issue with my monitors whereby my main monitor (miniDP) is showing as #1 in settings and is set as my main monitor, but my secondary monitor (DVI) is still being registered by a lot of programs as the main monitor (generally under their settings for which monitor to target). For example, Steam changes my primary monitor to the secondary one when entering big picture mode, because it thinks that that is the main one. Is there a quick fix for that or am I best off going to the tech support subforum?

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

Flipperwaldt posted:

Reinstalling on the same hardware will not require jumping through additional hoops.

Is Windows remembering the product key 100% reliable? I'd usually pull the key out of the registry with Produkey before reinstalling, just to be safe, but my PC won't boot into windows so that's not possible this time.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I've got a weird issue with my monitors whereby my main monitor (miniDP) is showing as #1 in settings and is set as my main monitor, but my secondary monitor (DVI) is still being registered by a lot of programs as the main monitor (generally under their settings for which monitor to target). For example, Steam changes my primary monitor to the secondary one when entering big picture mode, because it thinks that that is the main one. Is there a quick fix for that or am I best off going to the tech support subforum?

Is your secondary monitor on the left of your primary? I've found that (especially) Unity games like to look at your monitor setup and stay counting from the left. They'll proudly state that they're going to run on "Primary monitor (right)" and then actually start on the secondary monitor because they get their numbers mixed up.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Nope, primary is on the left, is identified as monitor 1 and is set as main. It's a minor annoyance mainly, but it's a minor annoyance across every program where I need to mess about with monitors.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Al2001 posted:

Is Windows remembering the product key 100% reliable? I'd usually pull the key out of the registry with Produkey before reinstalling, just to be safe, but my PC won't boot into windows so that's not possible this time.

It doesn't remember a key, it just pulls info about your hardware and stores it with MS. When you re-install that same information is used to re-auth the machine. You can tie your liveID (or w/e it's called now) to a machine that has a digital entitlement and it'll allow more leeway to do this.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Speaking of auth... I recently started using Windows 10 as a Parallels guest from a macOS Bootcamp partition and while I was able to activate Windows 7 a long time ago with older trial version of Parallels, I've since upgraded the partition to Windows 10 and that Windows 7 Parallels activation was no longer valid.

I've tried a few things I've found online in an attempt to activate Windows 10 while in Parallels (including attempts to force phone activation), but nothing seems to work. I get error messages when I attempt to say I've changed the hardware. I don't really know if there's a path I can take without buying a new license. Is there a way to do this? Is it even legitimate to activate a VM version of another partition since it's technically running on "different hardware"?

So, if not, I guess my question is, can I safely use Windows 10 as a Parallels guest indefinitely without activating it? Are there any limitations I can expect? It's just my home machine, not for business or work or anything.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I have the same issue, and when I went looking for help the best answer I got was 'plug your primary monitor in as DVI'.

Unity developed a similar but unrelated problem a while back, too.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Last Chance posted:

Speaking of auth... I recently started using Windows 10 as a Parallels guest from a macOS Bootcamp partition and while I was able to activate Windows 7 a long time ago with older trial version of Parallels, I've since upgraded the partition to Windows 10 and that Windows 7 Parallels activation was no longer valid.

I've tried a few things I've found online in an attempt to activate Windows 10 while in Parallels (including attempts to force phone activation), but nothing seems to work. I get error messages when I attempt to say I've changed the hardware. I don't really know if there's a path I can take without buying a new license. Is there a way to do this? Is it even legitimate to activate a VM version of another partition since it's technically running on "different hardware"?

So, if not, I guess my question is, can I safely use Windows 10 as a Parallels guest indefinitely without activating it? Are there any limitations I can expect? It's just my home machine, not for business or work or anything.

Windows 10 needs to be activated within 30 or 90 days or it will basically lock you out of using it. Since the free upgrade you had refuses to activate right, you would indeed need to just buy an actual Windows 10 license to be sure it'll activate correctly from now on.

You could try reinstalling Windows 10 again first, but it might not work.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Al2001 posted:

It is reliable. And if you did an upgrade install, you don't have an unique Windows 10 product key anyways.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
I have a question about the whole digital entitlement thing. I have a little nettop that I was using for streaming that I upgraded to 10 from 7 and it should have a digital entitlement like my desktop and laptop. I plan on replacing it in the near future and I'm wondering if there's a way to deactivate windows on it and use the license for something else.

I know that technically the upgrade should be tied to that system, but the 7 license was a retail copy so it is(was?) transferable and it seems like I should be able to move the 10 license as well but I don't know if that's true/possible.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

I hadn't seen a pop-up ad in more than a decade, until Windows 10 starting popping up ads on my taskbar telling me to use Edge.

Yeah, I'll get right on that.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Magnus Praeda posted:

I have a question about the whole digital entitlement thing. I have a little nettop that I was using for streaming that I upgraded to 10 from 7 and it should have a digital entitlement like my desktop and laptop. I plan on replacing it in the near future and I'm wondering if there's a way to deactivate windows on it and use the license for something else.

I know that technically the upgrade should be tied to that system, but the 7 license was a retail copy so it is(was?) transferable and it seems like I should be able to move the 10 license as well but I don't know if that's true/possible.

Even though the "free upgrade" period is officially over, you can supposedly still install and activate 10 using a 7 or 8 key. So just make a bootable USB with the Windows 10 installer, enter your old Windows 7 key when prompted, and there's a good chance it'll work.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

FallenGod posted:

I hadn't seen a pop-up ad in more than a decade, until Windows 10 starting popping up ads on my taskbar telling me to use Edge.

Yeah, I'll get right on that.

I'm still waiting to see this irl. How do you trigger it?

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Factor Mystic posted:

Just use Chrome or Firefox, maybe on a laptop? Some example screenshots here: http://www.windowslatest.com/2016/1...-notifications/

It's no worse than the various tips to "switch to Chrome" that appear on nearly every Google website (and can't be permanently dismissed without messing around).

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Factor Mystic posted:

if you have tips disabled you won't see them

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Or pro/enterprise, etc.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Maneki Neko posted:

if you have tips disabled you won't see them
If you want to get rid of the Office 365 notification, you need to uninstall an app, tho.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

nielsm posted:

Even though the "free upgrade" period is officially over, you can supposedly still install and activate 10 using a 7 or 8 key.

Is this specifically when doing a fresh install with a 7 or 8 key? Because I've seen an attempted in-place upgrad of Windows 8 fail recently (a couple of weeks ago).

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

chippy posted:

Is this specifically when doing a fresh install with a 7 or 8 key? Because I've seen an attempted in-place upgrad of Windows 8 fail recently (a couple of weeks ago).

Fresh installs. I did one about a week ago with a 7 key and it worked fine.

Kerosene19
May 7, 2007

Spent the morning unfucking a failed 10 installation. It simply will not recognize or load drivers for my video card.
Msi z87-g45
Msi gtx 970

Bought the home version and it did a great job of saving my files and all that but I couldn't get away from the default Windows vga driver.

Ended up wiping the drive, reinstalling 7 and restoring the image with Acronis.

I'm guessing I'll have to format the drive and do a clean install to get this to work.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
What's the best way to transfer a Windows 10 installation (that's tied to a Microsoft account) from a 320GB HDD to a 256GB SSD, where the content currently on the HD will still fit on the smaller SSD?

1) Clonezilla wouldn't do a drive-to-drive transfer.

2) Started up a Linux live CD, set up partitions on the new drive with the same flags as the old drive, made sure the Linux desktop was displaying all hidden files, and manually copied everything over, wound up with a drive that errored on boot.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

A good poster posted:

What's the best way to transfer a Windows 10 installation (that's tied to a Microsoft account) from a 320GB HDD to a 256GB SSD, where the content currently on the HD will still fit on the smaller SSD?

1) Clonezilla wouldn't do a drive-to-drive transfer.

2) Started up a Linux live CD, set up partitions on the new drive with the same flags as the old drive, made sure the Linux desktop was displaying all hidden files, and manually copied everything over, wound up with a drive that errored on boot.

You could shrink the partition on the old drive to < 256GB first. Standard disclaimer to have a backup before attempting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

astral posted:

You could shrink the partition on the old drive to < 256GB first. Standard disclaimer to have a backup before attempting.

Shrink it through GParted in Linux, or through Disk Management in Windows?