Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Zamujasa posted:

multistage depressed collector :smith:

please don't post my psychiatric evaluation results

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
c ham s:

station coming apart, headed to the new house

im almost sad but not as i can refurb the bus and enjoy a fixed shack for a few

New landlord seems super hands-off and theyve only owned the prop for a week so if I move fast i can prob get some deece antennas up quick. no neighbors yet really

main ideas:

-keep tram 1480 for 2m/70cm fm
20-25ft mast with rotator, 6m and 2m short beams

HF will be the antron 99 for 10 through 15, and god knows what else. Off center dipole? I dunno.

I can buy enough tubing from DX Engineering to make a 33 foot 40m full quarter wave vertical for $55 shipped. its really tempting.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
the balanced full-wave loop whispers to you

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
we dont have control of enough property to get one of any decent size up.

though i was looking at a 20 foot tall 50 foot wide vertical loop other day, looked quite good on 40 through 15

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow
Working CW with an Intel Compute Stick and a Heathkit HW-100.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
wait isnt that a ssb only rig? so you're running a tone in SSB? cool

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

MullardEL34 posted:

Working CW with an Intel Compute Stick and a Heathkit HW-100.

What's with the solid state monitor? doesn't match with the rest of it

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

wait isnt that a ssb only rig? so you're running a tone in SSB? cool

The Heathkit HW-100 does CW as well. That rig just became part of my collection this week. I picked up a cheap USB keying interface from some english guy who makes them himself and sells them on ebay.

Also, I may have found Grandpa Ham Prime

This could be thread title material.
Radio Thread: My Other Hobbies are genealogy and singing in barbershop quartet.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Oct 23, 2016

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

i'm 999% sure that if someone trained a neural network on real-life morse code, sent by a human and with an accurate transcript, you could run a nearly perfectly accurate morse decoder on a GPU.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
son your fist is so bad i had to rent an EC2 instance just to copy your cq

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

atomicthumbs posted:

i'm 999% sure that if someone trained a neural network on real-life morse code, sent by a human and with an accurate transcript, you could run a nearly perfectly accurate morse decoder on a GPU.

i made a thing in my cybernetics class where you'd hook up electrodes to your arm and then just open and close your hand to key. i think i had a neural net decoder too but it worked poorly.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

I made my first DX 10M contact with the Heathkit since I finished recapping it. HI8RD in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, 1739 miles away. The Caribbean was coming in like gangbusters here in NE Ohio this afternoon. It's the first activity I've heard on 10M in a long time.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
10m is open way more than people think, very awesome. I have a dedicated 10m rig that i leave on 28.400 24/7 and when it squawks i come running. trans equatorial propagation happens a whole lot, people think that because its not 20m wall-to-wall signals that it's 'dead'.

daily scans of the 28.200 - 28.300 beacon band are strongly suggested.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

10m is open way more than people think, very awesome. I have a dedicated 10m rig that i leave on 28.400 24/7 and when it squawks i come running. trans equatorial propagation happens a whole lot, people think that because its not 20m wall-to-wall signals that it's 'dead'.

daily scans of the 28.200 - 28.300 beacon band are strongly suggested.

Yeah, I should do that. I've got a cheap little radioshack HTX-10 that I could leave on.

Also, is 7.2MHZ the 14.313 of 40 meters? Right now someone is blasting Bon Jovi's "Livin' on a Prayer" and screaming the N word along to the melody.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yep, 14313, 7200 and 3840 are the toilets. Bonus 28.425 when KC4TVZ is voice-keyering CQ

his quote to me "you're not dx enough"

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jonny 290 posted:

yep, 14313, 7200 and 3840 are the toilets. Bonus 28.425 when KC4TVZ is voice-keyering CQ

his quote to me "you're not dx enough"

I don't know what that means but it's prbably dumb and also racist

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Theres a huge group of hams on 10 meters called the 10-10 Club. Theyve been around for about 40 years and started to promote 10m activity, they have daily nets and you get a 10-10 number by collecting other members' numbers with contacts.

This dude was so aggro about refusing to talk to anybody but new numbers that the 10-10 club _kicked him out_, the first time theyve done that to anybody in 4 decades. He now just screams on the same frequency all day long trying to get new countries and areas, for other contests and orgs (since he's no longer allowed to get 10-10 awards). I didnt know who he was at first and cheerfully called back to him (in Florida) from here in Colorado, and he basically said gently caress you, i want to talk to a foreigner that's worth points.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

wow, not what I expected but oddly still correct somehow

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
nah it venn diagrams together

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BDAAp6e_d4

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i cant tell wtf that guy is saying

the first few seconds to me are: "and uh tnt and uh 14aa and uh blonde two a solid T and whiskey bravo four and two a yankie he must've been a clown 10 10 2012 jeffer delay"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
and ten ten number 1488 belonged to a silent key[dead guy] which was whisky bravo four victor kilo yankee, he musta been a clown, qrz [station calling please send your callsign], jump in the lake

when they say theyre a contester, i like to go on their qrz[.com, the big ham radio facebook basically] page, they say they like to contest but they can't even make ten contacts [how many you need to get a 10-10 number]

ahh rednecks

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

I broke my 10M record today. 5223 Miles

I had a nice 10 minute chat with an operator at the PQ5B club station in Rancho Queimado, Brazil. He was pumped that I was running a tube Heathkit rig and an old Turner 254 microphone.
http://www.dxwatch.com/qrz/PQ5B

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Oct 30, 2016

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hell yeah. Old rigs are such good conversation pieces

good snag

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Btw, This is the Antenna I've been using.
http://myantennas.com/wp/product/efhw-8010/
It's an end fed half wave that is supposedly resonant on 80-10. 130ft long. I went for it mainly because I live in a neighborhood full of NIMBY jerks and needed an antenna that was inconspicuous. Plus It was ready made and the reviews were good. Matching box is mounted outside my second story office window, wire goes from about 15ft up to about 35ft in a tree about 75 feet away, then comes down and is anchored to a fence post with dacron cord. It's basically an inverted L shape that fits the corner of my back yard.
Works great. Hardest part was driving the ground stake.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I don't trust those end fed miracle antennas one bit, but if you got it working, I will in no way argue

--

Installed a 2m vertical dipole on the house TV mast, ~15 feet or so. Running nicely.

The main shack is gonna be all wired up but I wanted one lil' antenna so I could throw a mobile rig in here and keep an ear on things. Wife is concerned she'll become a ham widow once the shop is up and running.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
I'm at the UHF

I'm at the Android Phone

I'm at the combination UHF and Android Phone

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
isnt it like $799 lol

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

I don't trust those end fed miracle antennas one bit, but if you got it working, I will in no way argue

aren't they just half a dipole and the other half is your ground plane/coax/water pipes/radios/skin

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I'll keep this open but i'm going into FCC hiding (thank god i did not update my address when we moved recently), cancelled my weekly net and all the radios are being boxed up for a while. A bunch of white supremacists here in Denver have my callsign and I fear for the future.

No reason to build a station to just hear more of the things that are about to surround us in every day life.

I'm sick.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

I'll keep this open but i'm going into FCC hiding (thank god i did not update my address when we moved recently), cancelled my weekly net and all the radios are being boxed up for a while. A bunch of white supremacists here in Denver have my callsign and I fear for the future.

No reason to build a station to just hear more of the things that are about to surround us in every day life.

I'm sick.

Take care jonny, I'm sure things won't turn out so bad as you're imagining.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

I'm sick.

http://isthmus.com/news/news/the-mic-replaces-progressive-talk-with-christmas-music/

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

I'm sick.

:(

i know you're boxing stuff up because of moving, but don't let yourself box it up forever because of random shitheads. you sure as hell know there's a lot more to radio than just rag chewing. people on the air might be terrible, so try listening to all the machines out there instead

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

stay safe, radio ghost

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

SO DEMANDING posted:

:( people on the air might be terrible, so try listening to all the machines out there instead

lol

machines in Denver

hope you like telling SKs widowed XYLs that their license is expiring courtesy of N1IQI

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Jonny 290 posted:

I'm sick.

Especially with the rampant increase in doxxing, swatting etc. I'm always worried that callsigns being easily-lookupable will lead to awful things happening in this day and age.

Stay safe. :smith:

Freshwater Louie
Jun 22, 2004

fffffffff
one of my relatives gave me moneys strictly for the intention of buying an amateur radio (i also inherited an old tube tester and a box full of canadian and american made NOS tubes heck yes)

all i have are qrp transceivers so i was thinking of picking up a base station

help me choose something for $1500 CAD gooooooooo

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
1500 bucks is pretty much open season for all the mid-tier radios.

If you don't need 2 meters and want a new rig, i will throw in a bid for the FTDX 1200. Sniep has one and it is pretty much the stone nuts for HF and 6. Prices are good right now.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i love my ftdx1200

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

I'm sick.

My callsign is registered against a PO Box which is technically actually my current mailing address, so thats an idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Tho in my case I prefer sending bits more than talking anyway

• Locked thread