Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Anyone else play http://cityinc.se/#/ at all?

Only been a day playing but it's pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Digital Jedi posted:

Yeah, I have been playing this for a while. Hesitated to recommend it just because it is effectively AdCap again but there's been a lot of work done on it since it first came out and the final iteration of the City screen is pretty cool (and thankfully not a clusterfuck the way it was when the devs were still experimenting with ways to make it more interactive while keeping things balanced). It's now much like Scream Collector worth a look just because unlike most me-too idle games the devs stuck with improving it, made good on the theme and polished it to a healthy sheen.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
Literally unplayable

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I do like that debates are essentially busy work that barely registers on your bottom line if you're actively playing. Who cares if you lost if you can just bet more from the production done over the course of that debate?

Just don't do it when you come back from idling for hours. Pulling from three decks of various averages does not balance it in your favour.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

It used to be mandatory to play with that for approval ratings. I wish they would have just done away with it or overhauled it so there was some way to tip the odds in your favor if not actual strategy but at least it can be ignored.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Yeah, I have been playing this for a while. Hesitated to recommend it just because it is effectively AdCap again but there's been a lot of work done on it since it first came out and the final iteration of the City screen is pretty cool (and thankfully not a clusterfuck the way it was when the devs were still experimenting with ways to make it more interactive while keeping things balanced). It's now much like Scream Collector worth a look just because unlike most me-too idle games the devs stuck with improving it, made good on the theme and polished it to a healthy sheen.

Does this game do offline progress?

Slide McGriffin
Nov 16, 2009

OOOOoooOOooo
yep

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

It even does background tab progress!

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Trimps is getting 4.0 soon, devs said he'd be putting up a test server before the end of the weekend. Supposed to be stuff for 230+.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

im still hovering at 120-140 :/
Coordinated is at 11, not sure if i should be pushing that more, or pumping or carpentry (which is 37).

The dailies are also a mixed bag. One im doing now i thought would be easy, but 73% less resources is super painful.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Apparently a level of coordinated is worth about 2.5 levels of carpentry, so trying to keep that ratio between their helium costs is a good rule of thumb.

It sounds like you have way too many coordinateds since I'm at 3 and 33 by that rule.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Nov 13, 2016

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I have coordinated at 16 and carpentry at 45 and I'm doing Watch pretty quickly (up to zone 180 challenge), so obviously something is a little off with your other perks

Here's what my poo poo looks like at this point:

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I felt like I was stuck doing Crushed for a while but I eventually pushed to Toxicity and found it was really good, then felt I was stuck with it but then I tried Watch and like it even if it's less helium than toxicity.

Basically do challenges and switch them up sometimes.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Toxicity will be the run of choice for a while until you can keep up with Gigastations until Zone 180, which should have you switching to Lead (not Watch, that's more for non-AutoTrimp users). Corrupt will be after reaching Spire and a little beyond it.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Any advice for someone maxing at 120 and feeling like Electricity runs are A) a huge pain in the rear end I have to micromanage constantly and B) like I've been doing them forever without really making any progress? I have to do like 2-3 Electricity runs to get a level of Coordinated and it doesn't feel like it does me any good to get it. My Trimps game is also on a work computer where I can't get Auto-Trimps, so that's out.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Crushed is probably easier since it's not 1/5th your life per attack or whatever while also lowering your damage.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
For Crushed, do you take Shieldblock to lower your HP and boost your Block?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
No, shieldblock's contribution to your block becomes completely insignificant while you're still in zones that are utterly trivial by the time you can finish bionic wonderland.

With Crushed, by the time you're near the end of the challenge your HP would normally be at least dozens of times your block, so it seems better to just think of it as 3.5x enemy damage than to bother with the special condition.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Nov 13, 2016

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Digital Jedi posted:

Having the multi-buy buttons on each building and an OCD mode for buy max is drat genius.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Sindai posted:

No, shieldblock's contribution to your block becomes completely insignificant while you're still in zones that are utterly trivial by the time you can finish bionic wonderland.

With Crushed, by the time you're near the end of the challenge your HP would normally be at least dozens of times your block, so it seems better to just think of it as 3.5x enemy damage than to bother with the special condition.

Yeah this is the advice you should follow for normally approaching Crushed. You should worry about the achievement once you've got an heirloom shield that boosts block ability and even then I wouldn't recommend trying until you have a lot of helium. Being just before the first and probably second TrainTacular upgrade is painful because you have to farm so much for Trainers and Gyms to beat out Snimps and Gorrimps 1HKO.

and the claw won!
Jul 10, 2008

Magres posted:

Any advice for someone maxing at 120 and feeling like Electricity runs are A) a huge pain in the rear end I have to micromanage constantly and B) like I've been doing them forever without really making any progress? I have to do like 2-3 Electricity runs to get a level of Coordinated and it doesn't feel like it does me any good to get it. My Trimps game is also on a work computer where I can't get Auto-Trimps, so that's out.

A lot of the daily challenges will prob be more worth it than electricity. And I don't know if it's feasible for you quite yet but a push to 130 for the next scientist challenge will help with that early micromanagement.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Speaking of daily challenges that are better than electricity. Today's is just -80% income plus a much weaker version of electricity for almost 5x helium.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

The 4.0 test server is up, if you're able to hit 230+ you'll get to see the new stuff. http://trimpstest.bitballoon.com/

4.0 -
Content
Huge overhaul of Z230+. Added the first Megastructure, a new zone mutation, a new currency, and new things to upgrade!
AutoStorage has been moved from Z150 to Z75
Added 5 new Masteries
T4 Masteries now only require 11 previously purchased masteries to unlock, down from 12
Bug Fixes
Fixed an issue where Famine wasn't showing up the displayed gathering numbers.

Some other good stuff though for non 230+ though.

e: :stare: (not mine.)

Aurora fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Nov 14, 2016

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Digital Jedi posted:

It's pretty fun, but slows down after an hour. Maybe it was designed to require some offline play every now and then. All the tabs seem interesting though, I won two debates! :v:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Merijn posted:

It's pretty fun, but slows down after an hour. Maybe it was designed to require some offline play every now and then. All the tabs seem interesting though, I won two debates! :v:

Well it's pretty similar to Adventure Capitalist, so the very first run needs like 6 hours before you can get income from bank sector, but on subsequent ones you'll be faster. Also, the game tells you that you should think about resetting when you have 10 citizens, which is just complete madness.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

GrossMurpel posted:

Well it's pretty similar to Adventure Capitalist, so the very first run needs like 6 hours before you can get income from bank sector, but on subsequent ones you'll be faster. Also, the game tells you that you should think about resetting when you have 10 citizens, which is just complete madness.

Yeah, for games like that, I only reset when my next run will be twice as fast as my current one. So.. 50 citizens, then 100, then 200, etc. If I can break a major x50/100/etc goal, then I push further.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Ambaire posted:

Yeah, for games like that, I only reset when my next run will be twice as fast as my current one. So.. 50 citizens, then 100, then 200, etc. If I can break a major x50/100/etc goal, then I push further.

I recommend 5-10x investors for this game after you have 100 citizens to start; it's what you'll be able to get after idling for a day or two later anyway for quite a while and it helps a lot more with making headway on reaching the next *all upgrade. But if you're into active play and don't mind the janky debates I could see 2x working I guess.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

You'll hit a wall around 100 million to a billion citizens, where you have managed to get all speed upgrades but can't afford hitting 500 buildings on the earlier buildings (excluding roads). I suspect this is the first real pivot point where what is most profitable changes from the banks to all the types that are affected by Apartments.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I started Trimps last week, on my 3rd run right now, meaning I did the Range and Metal challenges and am currently trying to push to 35 to unlock the 3rd challenge. I set up AutoTrimps but I'm pretty much only using it to automatically run maps and to make sure my resources don't overflow, since from what I can tell all the other settings do some buggy/hosed up things like spend all my food on Trainers early games while actively removing workers from other resources so I have no resource income.

Why do I feel so weak and resource starved constantly? Like AutoTrimps is constantly in a state of "need more damage and health" and I have like 8 upgrades sitting in my upgrades bar for equipment that if I wait for 5 hours I can afford a single one. I have an even split of workers right now, not sure if that's right.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

The game changes drastically after 60 and again around 200. It's not designed for this early of a game. You should also be resetting for He and not just when you unlock a challenge. When things get slow reset. Auto Trimps also robs what makes the game interesting, all the slowly shifting of what you need. Also with 4.0 storage stops being an issue once you hit zone 75 since it will auto buy. Right now auto storage is at 150. It's really the only lovely part of the game.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
All of the main AT options are designed to work together with each other, unless you turn on almost everything in the first panel you probably shouldn't turn on anything or it can get stuck. Except some of the simplest stuff like auto storage. (And for that you'd be better off just save editing yourself the built in autostorage, since it works offline.)

It's normal to feel weak while pushing and spend a lot of time farming maps while you do.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Ultima66 posted:

I started Trimps last week, on my 3rd run right now, meaning I did the Range and Metal challenges and am currently trying to push to 35 to unlock the 3rd challenge. I set up AutoTrimps but I'm pretty much only using it to automatically run maps and to make sure my resources don't overflow, since from what I can tell all the other settings do some buggy/hosed up things like spend all my food on Trainers early games while actively removing workers from other resources so I have no resource income.

Why do I feel so weak and resource starved constantly? Like AutoTrimps is constantly in a state of "need more damage and health" and I have like 8 upgrades sitting in my upgrades bar for equipment that if I wait for 5 hours I can afford a single one. I have an even split of workers right now, not sure if that's right.

Yeah, you're still on track, as pixaal says AT isn't really meant for the pre-repeatable Helium challenge days. It's removing your trimps from jobs early on so that it jacks up the breeding timer to max out your pop plus looting cells at that point is more profitable than your job income. Having prestige upgrades hanging out is also normal. Even split is fine at that population maximum point too.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

pixaal posted:

The game changes drastically after 60 and again around 200. It's not designed for this early of a game. You should also be resetting for He and not just when you unlock a challenge. When things get slow reset. Auto Trimps also robs what makes the game interesting, all the slowly shifting of what you need. Also with 4.0 storage stops being an issue once you hit zone 75 since it will auto buy. Right now auto storage is at 150. It's really the only lovely part of the game.

As someone who is getting sucked into Trimps and is hovering around the broken planet range THIS IS THE GREATEST CHANGE

no more having to micro-manage storage before bedtime

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

any tips for someone just starting trimps? i played a bit of it when it first popped up in here months/a year ago but didn't last long so i'm just starting over.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Work your way into the portal and then a little beyond that to the point where progress is taking a long time. Portal, spend Helium however you like, then do it again faster. Your third portal should be aiming towards hitting one of the challenge marks so you can open up the game and make more progress. Do the early challenges as they come beyond the repeatables (do those when it's easier to handle and you just want to generate He/hr more efficiently). Keep on doing that until Zone 60 where things change rather dramatically.

Gilg
Oct 10, 2002

Does anyone have experience with Endless Frontier? (Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ekkorr.endlessfrontier.global&hl=en , iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/endless-frontier/id1073014391?mt=8 ) I saw a mention of it somewhere, but the screenshots and description don't do anything to help explain it other than another idler that has PvP and guilds.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
I have played "all" the idlers and Trimps is one of the most boring ones. It feels like a reskinned AdCap, with way more buttons, in that you never get the sense of "wee its going fast!" when you unlock some new crazy upgrade.

Gilg posted:

Does anyone have experience with Endless Frontier? (Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ekkorr.endlessfrontier.global&hl=en , iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/endless-frontier/id1073014391?mt=8 ) I saw a mention of it somewhere, but the screenshots and description don't do anything to help explain it other than another idler that has PvP and guilds.

Its free. Try it out and give us your impressions?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Ineptitude posted:

I have played "all" the idlers and Trimps is one of the most boring ones. It feels like a reskinned AdCap, with way more buttons, in that you never get the sense of "wee its going fast!" when you unlock some new crazy upgrade.

Its free. Try it out and give us your impressions?

how in the hell is kittens game not more boring

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
At least Kittens Game speeds up and gets you back to where you were quickly. Things that were extremely expensive or impossible to buy earlier becomes trivially cheap later on. A so called paradigm shift as this thread has dubbed it.

Trimps has no such thing.
On the first run you get to (example numbers) map 10, you reset, then take almost the same amount of time to get back to 10 but can make it to map 11. Reset and get to map 12. Reset and get to map 13, "oh look a new type of upgrade, this time ill get much further". Reset and get to 15, "oh i guess not".

Good god how boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Seems like you stopped playing at map 15 then. I'm not saying Trimps is the most exciting game ever, but it certainly has a lot more interesting things going for it than calling it an AdCap reskin warrants.