Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

CommonShore posted:

The LCBO has some advantages, in that it is one of the largest (maybe the largest) single-buyers of alcohol in the world, and a crown corporation, so it's actually a revenue-positive government agency, a major employer, and its prices are actually competitive. It's not as if they're difficult to find or have bad hours, and the LCBO sets up wine vendors in many grocery stores. In short - there's shitloads of liquor in Ontario.

Manitoba has government-run MLCC Liquor Stores, like the LCBO, but private beer sale laws which allow what are essentially bar/hotel off-sales but with regular store fronts.

And if Trudeau legalizes marijuana sometime, you can avoid all of the they're-going-to-sell-pot-to-our-children bullshit by selling it through the LCBO. If people trust them to responsibly sell alcohol, they can sell weed. More public revenue.

One thing I hate about the Beer Store, is that they keep everything cold. That's an enormous waste of energy. Do most people actually start drinking soon after they buy the beer? I would think it's far more likely that people just buy it ahead of time and keep it in their garage or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Doesn't cold preserve the beer better too?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ego-bot posted:

And if Trudeau legalizes marijuana sometime, you can avoid all of the they're-going-to-sell-pot-to-our-children bullshit by selling it through the LCBO. If people trust them to responsibly sell alcohol, they can sell weed. More public revenue.

One thing I hate about the Beer Store, is that they keep everything cold. That's an enormous waste of energy. Do most people actually start drinking soon after they buy the beer? I would think it's far more likely that people just buy it ahead of time and keep it in their garage or whatever.

When I worked at the beer store, the majority of customers were the ones who binge drank stuff like Busch Ice or Carling. They know their target audience, so they keep everything cool.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Subjunctive posted:

Doesn't cold preserve the beer better too?

Much better, yes. Especially for anything hoppy and/or lighter in color. So between the lushes who drink 30-racks of Busch Light before they have a chance to get warm and the Craft Beer Idiots like myself who put down four 16oz cans of Miserable rear end in a top hat's Hop Torture Ale in an evening, beer being stored cold is better for everyone.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

poop dood posted:

Much better, yes. Especially for anything hoppy and/or lighter in color. So between the lushes who drink 30-racks of Busch Light before they have a chance to get warm and the Craft Beer Idiots like myself who put down four 16oz cans of Miserable rear end in a top hat's Hop Torture Ale in an evening , beer being stored cold is better for everyone.
My brother.

Around here in Australia it's just expected that for anything except wine and spirits, there's probably a case in the fridge.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Hirayuki posted:

I've confirmed that you can do carry-out beer at fast-food restaurants in Japan that serve it; they just hand you a can and there are no open-container laws. Off you go!

Disappointed they don't serve it to you in a soft drink cup with lid and straw.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
What kind of lame rear end in a top hat drinks beer with a straw?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Leavemywife posted:

A quadriplegic?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I'm drinking wood alcohol through a slice of bread from a half-empty bottle I found at a playground right now, and laughing at all you sissies with your "regulations".

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Leavemywife posted:

That would be why I would find it funny, yes.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Ego-bot posted:

I'm on my way to a buddies place to watch a game or something, and I stop to grab beer, I absolutely want it cold. I don't want to have to wait til halftime to get a cold beer. I wanna crack one open as soon as I get there.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Ego-bot posted:

One thing I hate about the Beer Store, is that they keep everything cold.

Great thread title/post combo.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Ego-bot posted:

I love it when this thread generates its own content.

Yes many people will buy beer with the intent to consume it shortly after.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
This past weekend I was at a film festival and some goony dickhead scolded me for laughing at all the fun, stupid poo poo in Enter the Ninja. As we all know, Cannon Films was known for its serious prestige pictures.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Ego-bot posted:

Do most people actually start drinking soon after they buy the beer? I would think it's far more likely that people just buy it ahead of time and keep it in their garage or whatever.
Yes they do, and you're weird for thinking otherwise. The only time I "stock up" on beer in on saturday because Minnesota hates happiness and bans alcohol sales on sunday.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy
I was talking to some dude I know, and the topic of cruises came up. I mentioned that I had heard that Hawaiian cruises were awesome, and then he asked me what city a cruise to Hawaii would leave from. I wasn't sure, but I guessed maybe LA or Vancouver. He says "maybe they would leave from Alaska". I looked at him funny, like...of all places why the gently caress would he think that a Hawaiian cruise would leave from goddamn Alaska? He proceeds to look at me like I'm the idiot, and says "you know they're right beside each other, right?"

Jesus. I blame most maps of the US.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Did he mean Vancouver and Alaska?

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy

oldpainless posted:

Did he mean Vancouver and Alaska?

No.....I thought that too. But even still, that would be pretty loving stupid too! Their jurisdictions might be beside each other, but there is a whole lot of land mass between Vancouver and Alaska.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
When I used to drink I would only drink warm beer. Beer (except the lovely ones like Coors Miller Budweiser etc) is better warm.

http://www.northamericanbrewers.org/warmbeer.htm

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

genetic_knockout posted:

I was talking to some dude I know, and the topic of cruises came up. I mentioned that I had heard that Hawaiian cruises were awesome, and then he asked me what city a cruise to Hawaii would leave from. I wasn't sure, but I guessed maybe LA or Vancouver. He says "maybe they would leave from Alaska". I looked at him funny, like...of all places why the gently caress would he think that a Hawaiian cruise would leave from goddamn Alaska? He proceeds to look at me like I'm the idiot, and says "you know they're right beside each other, right?"

Jesus. I blame most maps of the US.

I was once talking with a co-worker years ago about how one could nearly take I-35 from Canada to Mexico (it's actually from northern Minnesota to southern Texas) and she told me that it was impossible to drive to Mexico, that one has to fly there because of the ocean. I ended up drawing a crude map of North America.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Thin Privilege posted:

When I used to drink I would only drink warm beer. Beer (except the lovely ones like Coors Miller Budweiser etc) is better warm.

"Beer should be drunk lukewarm because that's how it was drunk throughout history."

Well, in the past they also ate rotting meat because they had no other option, and they made beer in North America out of birch bark because there weren't enough hops farmers. Beer before the 18th century would be pretty much unrecognizable to a modern drinker anyway.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Thin Privilege posted:

This is the stupidest poo poo I ever heard (at least re: beer), I don't care what some website says. It doesn't have to be ice cold, but if it's anywhere near room temperature it's gross to me no matter how much you paid for it. Also I will defend the banquet beer to the death, it is not lovely and is leagues ahead of bud and miller.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy

bean_shadow posted:

I was once talking with a co-worker years ago about how one could nearly take I-35 from Canada to Mexico (it's actually from northern Minnesota to southern Texas) and she told me that it was impossible to drive to Mexico, that one has to fly there because of the ocean. I ended up drawing a crude map of North America.

I just don't understand these people who have seemingly never looked at a map or globe. How do you get through life without either learning it in school or just absorbing it through experience? :smith:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

genetic_knockout posted:

I just don't understand these people who have seemingly never looked at a map or globe. How do you get through life without either learning it in school or just absorbing it through experience? :smith:

When I was in the fourth grade I corrected my (probably racist) teacher that Mexico was part of North America.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Drink different kinds of beer at different temperature dorks, if I find you putting an imperial stout in the fridge i will end you

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

genetic_knockout posted:

Looking at a globe really messes with people. I still get confused sometimes when people tell me how they've flown from one continent to another by flying north or south because it is shorter than flying laterally across continents and oceans. Flat maps are really bad at conveying distance on anything bigger than a local scale

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy

Arcsquad12 posted:

Looking at a globe really messes with people. I still get confused sometimes when people tell me how they've flown from one continent to another by flying north or south because it is shorter than flying laterally across continents and oceans. Flat maps are really bad at conveying distance on anything bigger than a local scale

Distances between continents fine....but pretty sure both maps and globes will give you the position of countries relative to other countries.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Drink different kinds of beer at different temperature dorks, if I find you putting an imperial stout in the fridge i will end you
I put mine in the fridge until it's time to drink it. Then I have a cold IPA while it sits on the counter. Then I wonder why I'm almost drunk and remember I haven't eaten anything in hours.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Exactly. Beer intended to be drunk at room temperature will be brewed with that in mind and taste far different than beer intended to be cold.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

my old roommate put an Arrogant Bastard in the fridge, along with whisky, so I moved out

Lunchmeat Larry has a new favorite as of 19:29 on Nov 16, 2016

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

my old roommate put an Arrogant Bastard in the fridge, along with whisky, so I moved out

What an idiot, whisky goes in the freezer.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

yeah I eat rear end posted:

This is the stupidest poo poo I ever heard (at least re: beer), I don't care what some website says. It doesn't have to be ice cold, but if it's anywhere near room temperature it's gross to me no matter how much you paid for it. Also I will defend the banquet beer to the death, it is not lovely and is leagues ahead of bud and miller.

I would expect you to have bad taste

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

steinrokkan posted:

"Beer should be drunk lukewarm because that's how it was drunk throughout history."

Well, in the past they also ate rotting meat because they had no other option, and they made beer in North America out of birch bark because there weren't enough hops farmers. Beer before the 18th century would be pretty much unrecognizable to a modern drinker anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baIENxU9rXA

(the very first one)

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Look, if my options are fridge and cabinet, one of those says "friendly and sociable" to company and the other says "dangerous alcoholic".

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

CommonShore posted:

When I was in the fourth grade I corrected my (probably racist) teacher that Mexico was part of North America.

I had to break it to my 7th grade geography teacher that Antarctica isn't the largest continent.

You
Oct 6, 2009
I was on a blind date where the other participant thought that cows were fenced in on farms because they otherwise would viciously stalk and eat the pigs. She also thought that rabbits were deadly allergic to water.

She wanted to become a vetrinarian.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

You posted:

I was on a blind date where the other participant thought that cows were fenced in on farms because they otherwise would viciously stalk and eat the pigs. She also thought that rabbits were deadly allergic to water.

She wanted to become a vetrinarian.

I'll bet this has a cute backstory, like an older sibling loving with her.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Cacafuego posted:

I would expect you to have bad taste

You would think eating rear end tastes bad, Señor Fireshitter.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Found on facebook when I was reading up on the mysterious blue sphere thing NASA saw around the sun.

Just... :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

mysterious blue sphere thing NASA saw around the sun.

The what?

• Locked thread