Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Okay well, I've found a sigil that adds AoE fire damage on hit to weapon-enchanting spells, and the game's difficulty has totally shattered as Verse kills anything in two to three rounds. I'm guessing they didn't balance test this one for quick dual-wielders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

So far, I get the feeling that Kyros's plan for you is something akin to making you essentially emulate them to the point they can take over your body since there's too much baggage attached to their current one . You can keep asking why you haven't been taken out as a threat yet and it implies the Overlord has something in store for you and all is going "according to plan". Of course we have no way of knowing that what with how the game ends.

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
wow really regretting siding with the scarlet chorus. at first i thought they were a bunch of loons who just want to fight all day every day but nope they are actually torturing skinflaying maniacs with 0 redeeming qualities

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Oasx posted:

If you liked Pillars of Eternity then you will love Tyranny, in terms of gameplay they are very similar but Tyranny improves upon a lot of the things that Pillars did well.

Yeah like I said before, Tyranny is basically the Torment to PoE's Icewind Dale/Baldur's Gate.

e: I restarted and took Sword and Shield and Two Handed so I could have two Talents that work with any weapon, and then took the story choice that gives you the Fire sigil. I don't feel too bad about scumming this way because that story choice actually lined up with how I wanted to roleplay anyway

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Making all the choices that piss Barik off but still force him to serve you for the rest of the game is hilarious :allears:

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Basic Chunnel posted:

In what sense? Overall I'd say it's similar, but lesser. MotB is more thematically ambitious and tells a complete story. Tyranny is a first act, even more so than PoE. But the world is interesting and the end is dramatic even if it doesn't really wrap up much. I'm probably higher on it then most, but it lacks a bravura Myrkul-type sequence to push it over the top into true greatness. It's a solid proof of concept.

I was just burned by $59.99ing Civ 6, so I tried to think of the quality of game I wanted Tyranny to be to justify an impulse buy, MotB was it. Your reply was helpful, gonna wait a little while. Hell, maybe I'll do a replay of MotB, it's been long enough.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

frajaq posted:

Making all the choices that piss Barik off but still force him to serve you for the rest of the game is hilarious :allears:

I tried to punch him in the gut, but he no sold it. :(

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Barik-hate chat:

Killing Graven Ashe turns Barik into a broken, subservient husk. Take that you dumb perma-armor-slotted companion.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
The more I think about it, the more KiS should have been able to be able to largely fill in for Barik or Verse, and they should have been much, much less likely to stick around (to the point of impossibility) after the first act. I like how they seemed to have encouraged replayability with middle act variations (not as drastically as Witcher 2, but with more options than a binary choice) and strongly encouraging companion variation based on that would be nice too. I know that at the start, I initially wanted to go with the Disfavored but ended up siding a lot with the Chorus because I was a mage and they seemed to be the better option for knowledge preservation, for lack of a better term. Similarly, having that play into your choices might provide a little extra oomph for deciding, especially if you go Anarch at the end of Act 1.

e: I wish they'd leaned a little heavier into making you actually, you know, be evil. The Traitor Baru Cormorant would be a great inspiration for certain in-game options. Also, while they kind of imply it, I think the Chorus is actually supposed to be fairly effective at conquering poo poo, possibly a lot more so than the Disfavored. Instead of just having Choirmen preach at you about how the life of the Chorus lets the best rise to the top, if they showed it somehow it'd be a little easier to side with the chaotic murder-happy psychos instead of a slightly more lethal Roman Legion.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 13, 2016

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Darkhold posted:

Edit: I continued the storyline and got a dialog at the end of Act 2 that let me open it up. Seemed like a failsafe check.

Alright I'm out of ideas. How do I get Howling Rock to unlock? I went Scarlet Chorus to begin with but betrayed them ASAP. I've done all the quests and followed all the leads I could in the area and my journal says impress HundredBlood but I can't see any more I can do for them.

What I have done
Freed Left Claw
Freed the settlers
Did Divide and Conquer
Also did the quest for the one in the tower that killed off all the earth shakers outside

What have I missed? They keep going on about Elder Teeth and I've harvested all those I could find (7) but see no way to give it to them?

I'm feeling really dumb like I walked past a quest or missed something obvious.
It's either a bug or a quirk of the independent route. You will eventually be pointed to the spire by Bleden Mark, but you won't be given a chance to end the Edict of Stone.

Just checking here: when you picked up the Azure shield, did you go straight to Bleden Mark? It's what I did whenever I picked up an artifact, and I was only able to stop the edict of fire in the end. I'm wondering if doing so clinches off everything else in the region you nabbed the artifact from.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
Finished it. I don't like the simplified non-vancian spell mechanics. Or the smaller party size. Or some of the ways this is compensated for through hybridization and combo abilities. I started on POTD, but found myself unable, early on, to effectively control or 'block' enemies from my caster line -- which was partially the result of party size, and partly the problem of starting with two pure casters (myself and lantry). But the caster nps I kept accumulating seemed a lot better written. And I didn't want to hybridize. So I said 'gently caress it,' moved down to hard, and simply took Lantry, Eb, and Sirin.

Then the game became dumb and hilarious.

It turns out not much can stand up to four mages with all the aoes, stacking combos, debuffs, item effects, secondary afflictions, you eventually accumulate -- all this as you stand in a machine gun firing line moving through ability cds with no friendly fire to worry about and almost no downtime by the middle of the game. Encounter composition is mostly irrelevant; evade, parry, armor, etc., is virtually meaningless. You might think you take too much damage but this really isn't the case when you have four basic single heals, lantry's aoe heal, eb's retarded vampiric healing abilities, your own personal shield, lantry's aoe shield, siren's confuse, etc., etc, as well as innumerable passives, with many of these abilities not limited to rest but to encounter or to cooldown. So I rested probably 10 times through the entire game -- mostly for eb's loyalty ability which basically wins whatever fight you're on.

So I guess this worked out for my 'head cannon,' since I went independent. So I became the scheming, power hungry mage, assembling his cabal of apprentices and disciples to rule the world.

So I guess not too bad on reflection. But it wasn't really a satisfying tactical experience -- let alone the kind of familiar tactical experience that the large, six-man, specialized, parties, in the PoE and the IE games, almost exclusively open up. But I'll probably play through once more on POTD to see if things feel better when I am required to take party roles and taunt mechanics more seriously.

Zane fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Nov 14, 2016

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, four mages works fine because you can defensive buff whichever one is getting targeted and then just poo poo massive damage cones everywhere.

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009

Gyoru posted:

Barik-hate chat:

Killing Graven Ashe turns Barik into a broken, subservient husk. Take that you dumb perma-armor-slotted companion.

Is there a way to prevent that? Or does that always happen no matter what?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Are there any recommendations for companion builds? I see that Verse can be made into a dodge tank--is that a good idea?

Also, not having to be sneaking to see hidden items is amazing after PoE.

Zane posted:

Finished it. I don't like the simplified non-vancian spell mechanics.

So far, the non-Vancian spell mechanics are the one of the things I like the most over PoE, myself. I never really understood why people like Vancian magic over alternatives.

Though I acknowledge having to keep track of cooldowns is kind of awkward when you're dealing with multiple party members, and I'm not sure what else I'd do.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Nov 13, 2016

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

If you have a decent Mage, Verse does well with an attack speed focused build. The weapon buffs you can get and cast on her are pretty powerful.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Who's the best companion to build up as a tank? I know Berik has some real limitations thanks to not being able to change out his armor. I've heard Lantry can be tanked up pretty well.

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
Kills-In-Shadows can be a good tank too, extra engagements plus the biggest HP pool no armor though so kinda squishy.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

The early game (Act 1) is the hardest part of POTD. Early-Mid Act 2 is when the difficulty just kind of tapers off as your party ramps up in power until they are crazy powerful by the end of the game (end of Act 2-"Act" 3).

My party for POTD was PC (bulky melee), Verse, Eb, Sirin. Sirin was the tank because songs don't get influenced by recovery rate. Sirin becomes broken from level 13+ when she can maintain 2 songs at once. Enemies were just melting by being near her presence. (think PoE Chanter's The Dragon Trashed, The Dragon Wailed)

Engagement++ perks don't mean much when POTD enemy AI breaks engagement to constantly beeline for your backline casters - just like it didn't matter since PoE patch 2.0.x. The truly effective way to prevent that is from positioning, which is harder due to being limited to 4 party members, or with crowd control.

Taunting is great early on when your options are limited, but quickly becomes irrelevant and wasteful when every action in combat matters.

Ditching per-rest spells/abilities made it so you just unloaded your best stuff at the start of an encounter and kept those abilities off cooldown whenever possible. Lack of friendly fire made it even more braindead.

Harrow posted:

Are there any recommendations for companion builds? I see that Verse can be made into a dodge tank--is that a good idea?

Barik is literally the "hey dummy I can tank" companion, but he suffers offensively with his 4 locked heavy armor slots.
Verse can dodge tank, but you are sacrificing a lot of physical DPS by moving her in that direction.
Lantry can be made into a throwing weapon+shield tank.
Kills-in-Shadow is more of a "I hope I can kill you before I die" type of tank. She has locked armor slots except by armor I meant she is naked.

Gyoru fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 13, 2016

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Is there really no flanking attack in this game or is it just invisible and never mentioned by the tooltips?

Trying to make a rogue and the game really wants to make it weird for you.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gyoru posted:

Verse can dodge tank, but you are sacrificing a lot of physical DPS by moving her in that direction.

Is Verse better focused on dual-wield or bows, or does that just depend on the rest of my party composition?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I have no idea how to build Barik to be the tankiest tank possible. Any suggestions on what attributes and talents I should get?

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Are there any fixes for loading times yet? I spent 3-4 hours in Lethian's Crossing because of all the map transitions needed to fully explore it and for plot stuff.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Basic Chunnel posted:

It's either a bug or a quirk of the independent route. You will eventually be pointed to the spire by Bleden Mark, but you won't be given a chance to end the Edict of Stone.

Just checking here: when you picked up the Azure shield, did you go straight to Bleden Mark? It's what I did whenever I picked up an artifact, and I was only able to stop the edict of fire in the end. I'm wondering if doing so clinches off everything else in the region you nabbed the artifact from.
Wasn't Bleden that gave me the area but A fatebinder showed up to my spire at the end of act 2 when I had him read an edict of mine that failed he said 'hey maybe you need to go to this last spire' and gave me the map unlock I did all but one of the beastmen quests before reporting back to Bleden and never got anything to end Stone however I did do fire and storm.

Feels like there's some broken quest bugs going on. Or at least something easily missable.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Harrow posted:

Is Verse better focused on dual-wield or bows, or does that just depend on the rest of my party composition?

It doesn't matter too much, but dual wield. Better damage output, and you're always outnumbered so enemies will run up to her and start a melee fight anyway. You can choose whichever you want because having a bow in melee doesn't matter at all in this game, and she has a talent that lets her use dodge instead of parry.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Re Tanks: Honestly, I'm not convinced they're any good in this game, especially on harder difficulties. Enemies don't care much about engagement, so you're often going to end up with everyone glued to your squishist party member anyway. You also don't have Endurance like in PoE, so healing is a lot more useful and sustainable. So long as you're not taking enough damage to die instantly, I think you do better just focusing on defensive buffs and healing while building everyone for full damage to kill stuff asap.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Is the writing any good or does it not really improve from the "gently caress YOU DAD THIS IS A GAME FOR MATURES" writing style I saw in the first hour of watching an LP? (The Bastard City? I mean really?)

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
So, party members don't gain skill at all when they level passively. For some people, that's not too bad because they'll get it back pretty quickly once they're in combat, but at level 8, Eb has 58 lore and Lantry has 96. That's, uh, kind of a huge deal. I'd like to switch out Lantry for Eb since I'm swinging around to "heals don't matter when I've got vampirism and crowd control" but almost 40 points in Lore is a huge deal. Verse has 50 points just from casting Spectral Blur and Paralyze. I like that they level your companions in the background, but since skills-improving is what increases levels, they kind of need to at least have preset increases when they level, too. Or don't level them at all and give them a +exp gained/action buff that increases in power until they're on your level again.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

jBrereton posted:

Is the writing any good or does it not really improve from the "gently caress YOU DAD THIS IS A GAME FOR MATURES" writing style I saw in the first hour of watching an LP? (The Bastard City? I mean really?)
Nothing wrong with bastard city. It's like a bastard sword. Half one thing, half another.

The writing is decent, though Verse is constantly cursing in her combat barks.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Does wearing heavier armor hurt you for combat? Like is it the typical light armor for dex types, heavy armor for tanks or can you subvert it?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

jBrereton posted:

It's a little hit or miss, but I'd say you get more of the former than the latter. There are some decently written and nuanced characters kicking around; I especially like Tunon, who is like pragmatic bureaucracy dressed up for a masquerade ball. Things can be a little uneven though, and there are several instances of character who are 'evil' to the point of parody. Overall I'd rate it above average, which is pretty good for a videogame.

Elendil004 posted:

Does wearing heavier armor hurt you for combat? Like is it the typical light armor for dex types, heavy armor for tanks or can you subvert it?

The major trade-off with all armor is the recovery penalty, so better protection vs. more actions. It adds up on the heavier armor sets, to the point that you can be looking at several additional seconds of wait time between each action.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 13, 2016

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I am only a few levels in, but there's so much to choose from for the main character. Is this the kind of game where by the end I'll be swimming in points or do I really need to focus on a tree I like? Any options to respec?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Strudel Man posted:

Nothing wrong with bastard city. It's like a bastard sword. Half one thing, half another.
You don't see a guy in a faded Slipknot hoodie writing that while furtively jerking themselves off about how BRUTAL it is in your mind's eye?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

jBrereton posted:

You don't see a guy in a faded Slipknot hoodie writing that while furtively jerking themselves off about how BRUTAL it is in your mind's eye?

No, not really. Most fantasy settings tend to have more than a few bastards, and a border city being named as such doesn't really strike me as problematic in any way. Nothing like DAs This is the new poo poo ad campaign which does conjure that image.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

jBrereton posted:

No, even in the mouse over lore it makes sense.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

jBrereton posted:

This is a very serious and grown-up game for adulty-dults. :colbert:

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Harrow posted:

Depends on the rest of your party, but I found her dual wield tree to be better. Fury Rush has no cast time so she can use it at the start of an encounter dart to an archer or mage.

Elendil004 posted:

I am only a few levels in, but there's so much to choose from for the main character. Is this the kind of game where by the end I'll be swimming in points or do I really need to focus on a tree I like? Any options to respec?

There is no respec.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Yeah, it sounds like (since I haven't played it yet) that once you go Hard or PotD then building a "tank"-tank doesn't really matter, as enemies skip engagements and just go after your squishies in the back. Since engagement doesn't "lock" an enemy into place or anything it sounds liek killing someone faster is more preferable than trying to detain them.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I could listen to Lantry talk all day :allears:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

The Dregs posted:

I've been out of the loop lately and managed to miss hearing about this game. Is it a must buy for someone who's favorite game since DA1 is Pillars of Eternity? The OP is good, but geared towards a game he doesn't know a lot about yet. Any links to good reviews?

Same question as this guy, except that I thought PoE was okay, and I've heard that this game apes my least favourite aspect of Obsidian RPGs, a rushed ending. Is it anywhere near the levels of vanilla NWN2 or KotOR 2? I saw someone mention they thought they were playing the intro to act 3 and suddenly the game was done, but I dunno if that was a joke or exaggeration.

Also is the biggest dungeon in the game (if the game even has dungeons?) anywhere close to the size of the Deep Dark from DA1 or the Giant loving Whatsitsname from PoE?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Reveilled posted:

Same question as this guy, except that I thought PoE was okay, and I've heard that this game apes my least favourite aspect of Obsidian RPGs, a rushed ending. Is it anywhere near the levels of vanilla NWN2 or KotOR 2? I saw someone mention they thought they were playing the intro to act 3 and suddenly the game was done, but I dunno if that was a joke or exaggeration.

It's really not, the game is over extremely quickly when act 3 starts.

• Locked thread