Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Please use this thread for OOC and rules stuff!

Hi and welcome to The Sword of the Bastard Elf - The Role Playing Game. Sword of the Bastard Elf is a CYOA I ran a while back in GBS which I've starting working into a fully playable book. Since I'm determined to honour every stupid joke I made in that thread the rules have been written out to 80 pages or so. I've done that by burying a simple RPG system in there. Anyway I'm here to test that system out and I hope some of the hardy adventurers and professional weirdos of this subforum might be interested in giving the game a whirl.

Though there are lots of pages explaining the finer points of magic, skills and campaigns the meat of the game is that the players are a group of no-hope scumbags living in a medieval city called Bilgeton. They can be one of four species (human, elf, dwarf or skeleton) and one of five classes (or classless). Anyway up to four characters form a loose gang that takes on a bunch of adventures in the hopes of getting out of the day to day grind of being a medieval city-dweller. Like in most fantasy RPGs the games often start in the tavern but quickly spiral hopelessly out of control. Players are encouraged to come up with a few characters because it's likely one or more of them will get splattered : fighting is deadly and mostly illegal and adventuring is harder work than most chumps are prepared to handle.

If you played along with or read The Sword of the Bastard Elf while it was running you'll have a decent idea of what to expect from the game. The mechanics from the players' point of view are pretty simple (basically the same as in the playthrough but with some added psychology tests and experience points and stuff). Anyway for this test run I'll handle the dungeon mastering/bastarding, and I'll explain game concepts as they come along.To play the introductory jailbreak scenario then you'll need to roll up a character and fill out the Residency Scroll (the game's character sheet). Click on the image below to download the latest version of the rulebook:

Feel free to read as much of it as you want but the pages that are relevant to you are 20 to 37, or up to about 45 if you want to make a spellcaster and learn how magic works in game. If you haven't read The Sword of the Bastard Elf then maybe you might enjoy doing that too : I linked the thread earlier but here's a PDF copy on DriveThru if you've got an account there: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/192206/The-Sword-of-the-Bastard-Elf--Lets-Play

Now here's a Residency Scroll for you to fill out if you're up for it:

Once you've done that then post it - the first four will be in the Gang. If you don't make it into the first bunch and still want to play, don't worry! If anyone gets mashed or goes MIA then I'll work your guy into the adventure. I'll explain the game as we play through the introductory scenario. It's designed to be played face to face but it should work ok as a forum game with any luck.

:siren:Current games:siren: : BUST THE BASTARD OUT OF THE BILGETON BRIG

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Nov 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

How to make a character - the easy version

Roll 1 six-sided dice and add 3. This is your ELAN (the all-purpose skill stat).
Roll 2 six-sided dice, add the total together and multiply by 10. This is your EFFORT (this game's version of HP and MP, sort of)
You start with 1 FIST (a bonus dice roll that adds to your ELAN in tests)

Pick a species - Human, Dwarf, Elf or Skeleton. Each has a unique disadvantage and cultural things which helps roleplay the character.
Humans are corrupt and actually get worse at tasks they're skilled at, taking a penalty to their ELAN whenever they're doing anything they're trained in. They get rewarded for getting overpaid compared to their comrades.
Dwarfs hate violence and flee from combat. They take a huge penalty in combat. They get rewarded for spending more time on music, art and acting than on anything else.
Elfs are worthless pieces of poo poo and cannot take any profession at all (though they can take a grab-bag of skills instead, some of them unique to elfs) They lose EFFORT really quickly and are rewarded for basically doing nothing.
Skeletons are unionized and won't work off contract. Skeletons can't take any additional skills outside their profession and get rewarded for not doing anything at all outside their professional expertise.

Pick a profession - Goon, Scumbag, Loudmouth, Nutcase, Drifter. You get +1 FIST when doing any task related to the profession.
Goons : violence,weapons and feats of strength
Scumbag : crimes (non-violent) and dexterity
Loudmouth : social, music, art and charisma
Nutcase : magic (you also take an Insanity of your choice if you take this profession), also perception
Drifter : outdoorsy stuff and hunting, endurance
None: No bonuses but take 6 extra skills instead of 2

Pick a couple of extra skills
These can be taken from any area or can be used to improve a skill you already have thanks to your profession. There's a list in the instructions but you could make up just about anything that fits with the setting.
The first time you pick a skill you get +1 FIST when using the skill
The second time you pick it you also get +2 ELAN
Third and subsequent times add +1 extra ELAN

These are more narrow than the professions - so a Goon gets +1 FIST when fighting with any weapon but a skill would be something like "spear". If a Goon took spear as a skill pick they'd get +1 FIST and +2 ELAN. If a Drifter took spear they'd just get the +1 FIST.

Name your character, write up a short background and draw a little picture of them on your Residency Scroll

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Nov 14, 2016

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

The game will start in a few days, so don't rush character creation and take your time if you choose to read the rulebook through. Oh, and I'll send anyone who plays a sticker if they trust me with their address.

The scenario is Jailbreak - an introductory scenario about busting a bishop out of the drunk tank. The gang are sitting around a table at a seedy bar called The Hovel and Harpy where they often plan out petty crimes and minor scams, when a big caper lands right in their laps.

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 13, 2016

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Oh hell yeah.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

hell yes. gently caress if i'm trusting you with my address though OP

tempted by either a dwarven loudmouth or a human nutcase. i shall ponder.

e: post something in the TG Game Recruitment Thread and summon more autists to your side

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

hell yes. gently caress if i'm trusting you with my address though OP

tempted by either a dwarven loudmouth or a human nutcase. i shall ponder.

e: post something in the TG Game Recruitment Thread and summon more autists to your side

yeah i send polaroids of my dick or just show up depending on range so that's a good call.

dwarfs are supposed to play best as loudmouths, humans can do whatever. The -1 ELAN isn't really a huge penalty most of the time though it might shake out differently in a game.

Thanks for the heads up, will make a post in that thread to summon weirdos.

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

Feel free to read as much of it as you want but the pages that are relevant to you are 20 to 36
should be 20-37 to include all traits.

Interested, and willing to play a species and profession not used by other players just to cover the bases with respects to play testing.

Garth_Marenghi fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Nov 14, 2016

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer
I'm in on this. I'd like to try as a nutcase skeleton, I think. I'll need a couple of days to read up. Address, sure.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Skeleton Goon sounds like fun, because being able to respond to anything not directly involving violence with "Not my job" is the most businesslike I can imagine a murderhobo.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Bhrandon
Human Nutcase

pre:
ELAN:  6
EFFORT:  40 (lmao) + 10 (Hale and Hearty) = 50
FISTS:  1

LOOT: 

• Spooky Goth Cloak - conceals equipment
  • Catankerous, Foul-Tempered Dog - Hiccup test to make do anything
SKILLS:
  • Cantrips - GOOD
TRAITS:
  • Hale and Hearty - +10 effort, -1 Poison Power
CASH: No cash. NOTES: Chosen Cantrip effects:
  • Flame
  • Freeze
  • Goldbrick
  • Jostle
  • Open
  • Rune
  • Smog
  • Filth
  • Snuff
CONDITIONS:
  • Depressed - Nutcase drawback. Bhrandon expends 1 additional Effort when doing, well, anything.
I will write up a background later but basically it's "Sad Pathetic Lazy Goth Wizard Wants To Impress People Without Doing Any Work"

e:

quote:

Bhrandon, in his own words, is a creature of unbearable torments and the lightest of ecstasies, a misunderstood poet of our times languishing in obscurity, a practitioner of the darkest arts and fairest blessings, and a tumultuous tempest of emotion. In the words of his aunt Claribel, at whose tavern he slops out the kitchen in his position of Assistant Scullery Wenchling, he's a "bleedin' disgrace, loungin' round moanin' like that all the time".

His main motivation is to have people fawn over him and maybe impress some girls enough to talk with him, without actually wanting to put forward the effort to improve himself. He has a couple of books of magic that a travelling scholar once left behind in Bilgeton, due to leaving the inn in quite a hurry, and has managed to while away a few rainy afternoons moping and leafing through the pages. He's unable to understand that life does not owe him anything, and is constantly after his "due" to be handed to him on a silver platter.

:smith:

Inexplicable Humblebrag fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Nov 20, 2016

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Bhrandon
Human Nutcase

pre:
ELAN:  6
EFFORT:  40 (lmao)

LOOT: 

• Spooky Goth Cloak - conceals equipment
  • Catankerous, Foul-Tempered Dog - Hiccup test to make do anything
SKILLS:
  • Cantrips - GOOD
  • Magick - GOOD
TRAITS:
  • No traits
CASH: No cash. NOTES: Chosen Cantrip effects:
  • Flame
  • Freeze
  • Goldbrick
  • Jostle
  • Open
  • Rune
  • Smog
  • Filth
  • Snuff
CONDITIONS:
  • Depressed - Nutcase drawback. Bhrandon expends 1 additional Effort when doing, well, anything.
I will write up a background later but basically it's "Sad Pathetic Lazy Goth Wizard Wants To Impress People Without Doing Any Work"

haha nice

E: Magic will probably work a little differently on the forums than it would live because you're not going to be under pressure to hurry up and figure out how to structure spells on the fly while people are being dicks around you. Then again you've got 40 EFFORT so yeah I guess it'll even out

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Nov 15, 2016

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

my guy urgently needs a coping mechanism

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

my guy urgently needs a coping mechanism

well most of the time you don't *have* to do anything that involves EFFORT and a lot of the simpler spells might only cost a couple of points, but you'll have to be pretty clever if you want your gang to give you your cut at the end

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer
Question about rolling up a Skeleton:

Can I make my dude Old and have two professions, or does that gently caress with the Union stuff? For example, an Senile Alcoholic Scumbag Nutcase Skeleton?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Hermsgervørden posted:

Question about rolling up a Skeleton:

Can I make my dude Old and have two professions, or does that gently caress with the Union stuff? For example, an Senile Alcoholic Scumbag Nutcase Skeleton?

Yeah that's fine, the union's got your back

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

Fisting Tent posted:

should be 20-37 to include all traits.

Interested, and willing to play a species and profession not used by other players just to cover the bases with respects to play testing.

I was thinking of a loudmouth dwarf, do they come in orange?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Fisting Tent posted:

I was thinking of a loudmouth dwarf, do they come in orange?

Yes but everyone made fun of the last one and look what happened

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

Drumpf
Dwarven Loudmouth

pre:
ELAN: 6 (huge)
EFFORT: 60 (huge)
FISTS:  1 (the more to grab with)

LOOT: 

• Criss-T, Old fat hound - Hiccup test to make do anything.
  • Acceptable but ill fitting clothing.
SKILLS:
  • Lying
  • Taunting
CASH:
No cash. Background:
Drumpf son of an infamous dwarves slumlord has lived a charmed life. When he was of age he was sent away to rhetoric college, he was not very good but he had a talent of being so loud and obnoxious that he could not fail to win any argument he was set to make, by simply wearing away his opposition. After graduating he started his first business with a small large loan for his father, when that failed days later he started again with another 14 more, small large loans. He eventually gave up trying to follow in his fathers footsteps and began reselling cheaply made products purchased form over seas. His business really took off when he began to crudely paint his name on said items before selling them at a ridiculous mark up. After accumulating a large fortune (after 4 bankruptcies) he final found a way to return to his love of rhetoric with the invention of twittering, a new for of comunication using birds to send information back and fourth. Lets just say his abuse of twittering has gotten him into hot water and may be to blame for his current incarceration.
May clean up background, let me know if i missed anything.

Garth_Marenghi fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Nov 15, 2016

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

donald trump and the mighty boosh attempt a prison break

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer
Coccyx
Scumbag Nutcase Skeleton

ELAN: 4+3= 7
EFFORT: (5+3)10= 80
FISTS: 1

LOOT:
  • Poorly Forged Iron Dentures - Clang loudly together, generally rusty.
  • Pewter Tongue - Purchased for far too much from a barge trader, Coccyx was promised he could use the tongue to speak. Only says two phrases: "Oi, Fuckface!" and "Get hosed, Shitberg!" but Coccyx is trying to coax it to also say "Lick my bony dick" which so far comes out as a pathetic "Like me, Broderick?"
  • Lantern - Coccyx likes to keep this inside his ribcage, Hassle test if he puts it there while lit, he has caught fire this way before.
  • Several moldy scrolls- Coccyx can't remember how he got these, or what they're for.

SKILLS:
    SCUMBAG skills
  • CASING - Good
  • LOCKPICKING - Good
    NUTCASE skills
  • MAGICK
    • JOSTLE
    • OPEN
    • POP
    • WHISPER
    • SMACK

TRAITS:
  • OLD - adds the SENILE insanity

CASH:
  • 30 dirty Groats

CONDITIONS
  • SENILE - Insanity from being OLD
  • ALCOHOLIC - Insanity from being NUTCASE

BACKGROUND
Coccyx has watched a lot of poo poo flow past in his days, and in days long gone he kept mostly to himself as a humble scumbag. He started working in the service of a drop-out warlock turned stolen goods fencer and drinking later and later into the night in the hovel of same. Alcoholism or Nutcasery, Coccyx couldn't tell you which led to which, but somehow he got dispensation from the union bosses to practice Magick. Once the would-be-warlock finally got himself stabbed to death Coccyx had to turn to tavern drinking, and ever since he's been getting himself mixed up in poo poo that he would never have touched before.

Hermsgervørden fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 19, 2016

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

You know that skeleton's going to have trouble with those dogs, don't you?

E: Well space for one more, maybe someone who doesn't have noodle arms?

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

You know that skeleton's going to have trouble with those dogs, don't you?

E: Well space for one more, maybe someone who doesn't have noodle arms?

"Get hosed, Shitberg." - Coccyx's pewter tongue.

lol, I should have to pass two hiccup tests every turn, shouldn't I?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Hermsgervørden posted:

"Get hosed, Shitberg." - Coccyx's pewter tongue.

lol, I should have to pass two hiccup tests every turn, shouldn't I?

Nah just don't go to sleep near them

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i cannot control my hound, i don't have the effort

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
If I'm not too busy tomorrow I might toss together an Elf what punches things good and does other strength things good too, just to cover the bases.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

I'm not in a massive hurry because I'm still working on a few things and tying down some loose ends in the scenario but we'll go with whoever's here in a day or two if that's ok with y'all.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

someone be a elf

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Hermsgervørden posted:

Coccyx
Scumbag Nutcase Skeleton

ELAN: 4+3= 7
EFFORT: (5+3)10= 80

LOOT:
  • Poorly Forged Iron Dentures - Clang loudly together, generally rusty.
  • Pewter Tongue - Purchased for far too much from a barge trader, Coccyx was promised he could use the tongue to speak. Only says two phrases: "Oi, Fuckface!" and "Get hosed, Shitberg!" but Coccyx is trying to coax it to also say "Lick my bony dick" which so far comes out as a pathetic "Like me, Broderick?"
  • Lantern - Coccyx likes to keep this inside his ribcage, Hassle test if he puts it there while lit, he has caught fire this way before.
  • Several moldy scrolls- Coccyx can't remember how he got these, or what they're for.

SKILLS:
    SCUMBAG skills
  • CASING - Good
  • LOCKPICKING - Good
    NUTCASE skills
  • MAGICK
    • JOSTLE
    • OPEN
    • POP
    • WHISPER

TRAITS:
  • OLD - adds the SENILE insanity

CASH:
  • 30 dirty Groats

CONDITIONS
  • SENILE - Insanity from being OLD
  • ALCOHOLIC - Insanity from being NUTCASE

BACKGROUND
Coccyx has watched a lot of poo poo flow past in his days, and in days long gone he kept mostly to himself as a humble scumbag. He started working in the service of a drop-out warlock turned stolen goods fencer and drinking later and later into the night in the hovel of same. Alcoholism or Nutcasery, Coccyx couldn't tell you which led to which, but somehow he got dispensation from the union bosses to practice Magick. Once the would-be-warlock finally got himself stabbed to death Coccyx had to turn to tavern drinking, and ever since he's been getting himself mixed up in poo poo that he would never have touched before.

I just noticed a couple of things with this: as a nutcase you can take a total of 6 spells from any combination of schools, so grab a couple more. Also I found in the progression section a bit that says that skeletons shouldn't multiclass because their second profession is the one they're registered as doing with the union, but entertaining backstories are more important than minor rules so it's no prob.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

someone be a elf

this too

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

I just noticed a couple of things with this: as a nutcase you can take a total of 6 spells from any combination of schools, so grab a couple more. Also I found in the progression section a bit that says that skeletons shouldn't multiclass because their second profession is the one they're registered as doing with the union, but entertaining backstories are more important than minor rules so it's no prob.

I only took four, because it felt too cheese-ish otherwise? But maybe I can take something to give me a fighting chance against these loving dogs. Whoever is making that elf, you need a dog. The wizard* we are breaking out of jail should also be a dog. It's not a prison, it's the pound.

*edit: bishop not wizard, whatever, maybe it should be a canine cardinal. A caninardinal?

Hermsgervørden fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 18, 2016

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
Kandil
Elf

pre:
ELAN:  4
EFFORT:  90

LOOT: 

• Whimsywand
  • Smelly, overweight hairless cat (alive?)
  • Mysterious Elfish tome listing the contact information of all of Bilgeton's loneliest single fathers.
SKILLS:
  • Fisticuffs - GOOD
  • Intimidation
  • Whimsyflickery - GOOD
  • Grasswatching
TRAITS:
  • UGLY SCARS
CASH: Mystical Elfcoin. NOTES:
  • None
CONDITIONS:
  • None
BACKGROUND: Kandil, like most of Bilgeton's elfs, is known to drift around town aimlessly leaving annoyance and disgust in her wake. What distinguishes her from most of her lackidasical race is that she often lashes out at those attmepting to shoo her away from their homes, businesses, or lavatories. It frequent takes a contingent of armed guards to finally roust her from whatever arbitrary location she's chosen to latch onto. So intent is she on remaining stationary that some of the more radically minded Bilgetonians have mistaken her laziness for civic-minded agitation. It is not uncommon for protestors or agitants of various sorts to cluster around Kandil arguing on behalf of whatever cause they believe she is advocating. For her part she does not care.
I've made a beautiful elven maiden for all of you nerds. Try to keep your jaws off the floor and your drooling to a minimum.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Necroskowitz posted:

Kandil
Elf

pre:
ELAN:  4
EFFORT:  90

LOOT: 

• Whimsywand
  • Smelly, overweight hairless cat (alive?)
  • Mysterious Elfish tome listing the contact information of all of Bilgeton's loneliest single fathers.
SKILLS:
  • Fisticuffs - GOOD
  • Intimidation
  • Whimsyflickery - GOOD
  • Grasswatching
TRAITS:
  • UGLY SCARS
CASH: Mystical Elfcoin. NOTES:
  • None
CONDITIONS:
  • None
BACKGROUND: Kandil, like most of Bilgeton's elfs, is known to drift around town aimlessly leaving annoyance and disgust in her wake. What distinguishes her from most of her lackidasical race is that she often lashes out at those attmepting to shoo her away from their homes, businesses, or lavatories. It frequent takes a contingent of armed guards to finally roust her from whatever arbitrary location she's chosen to latch onto. So intent is she on remaining stationary that some of the more radically minded Bilgetonians have mistaken her laziness for civic-minded agitation. It is not uncommon for protestors or agitants of various sorts to cluster around Kandil arguing on behalf of whatever cause they believe she is advocating. For her part she does not care.
I've made a beautiful elven maiden for all of you nerds. Try to keep your jaws off the floor and your drooling to a minimum.

haha

Welp, that's our original gang. I'll fire things up tomorrow afternoon once I get clear of work.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ok so let me see if i have the cantrip-casting thing for a human correct

• cantrips seem to have a minimum HASSLE difficulty of 8, so let's go with that as a starter
  • i have an ELAN of 3, meaning i can put 3 effort against each attempt.
  • i am a human, meaning all my skilled things (catrips, magic) are -1 ELAN, meaning i can actually only put 2 effort against each attempt
  • i am GOOD at cantrips, meaning i can put ELAN (2) + good (2) = 4 effort against a cantrip, to which i roll two FIST dice and add the higher, meaning i'm looking for at least one 4+ on 2d6
  • i am also GOOD at magick; does this mean my ELAN goes up by +1 (further increase in the casting skill), +2 (second skill applies bonus as well), or not at all?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

ok so let me see if i have the cantrip-casting thing for a human correct

• cantrips seem to have a minimum HASSLE difficulty of 8, so let's go with that as a starter
  • i have an ELAN of 3, meaning i can put 3 effort against each attempt.
  • i am a human, meaning all my skilled things (catrips, magic) are -1 ELAN, meaning i can actually only put 2 effort against each attempt
  • i am GOOD at cantrips, meaning i can put ELAN (2) + good (2) = 4 effort against a cantrip, to which i roll two FIST dice and add the higher, meaning i'm looking for at least one 4+ on 2d6
  • i am also GOOD at magick; does this mean my ELAN goes up by +1 (further increase in the casting skill), +2 (second skill applies bonus as well), or not at all?

Minimum should be 6 for a single effect at touch range. You don't get any extra bonus to spellcasting from magick though maybe that should be changed. It applies to magick lore checks and reading (actually useful) spells off scrolls and spellbooks if you find them. It should be possible to find items that boost spellcasting as well.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ok so gently caress being Good at magick then

how do you get traits at chargen? is that one-for-one on your skill picks? because being Hale and Hearty could be good, both to mitigate my low effort and also because being a goth that can't even be pale and consumptive is p funny

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

ok so gently caress being Good at magick then

how do you get traits at chargen? is that one-for-one on your skill picks? because being Hale and Hearty could be good, both to mitigate my low effort and also because being a goth that can't even be pale and consumptive is p funny

Yeah but it's max one at creation or one per level. You also get them immediately if you meet the prerequisites. Spellcasters probably will get the most out of Hale and Hearty or Yellow because that lets you avoid getting mashed when you try to escape a fight though it makes you really vulnerable to archers.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Right, let's get this show on the road. Apologies for the delays. It'll be a little bumpy over the next day or two but then I'll be in the clear more or less.

THE SWORD OF THE BASTARD ELF

Here's a quick map of the starting location, The Hovel and Harpy.

The Hovel and Harpy is a revolting dive, so loathsome that even bribe-hungry town guards are reluctant to go near the place. It caters to the slime de la slime of Bilgeton - if the noxious water of the Bilge could get up and walk it'd wander straight in through the door and get a rancid beer in a busted tankard watered down with itself and nobody would blink an eye. Anyway it's perfect for you seedy adventurers looking for a big score or (more likely) a small one.

Bhrandon, Drumpf, Coccyx and Brandil are at best casual acquaintances, having travelled in the same circles for a while. Tonight they've all been summoned the The Hovel by their contact Nanker the Yanker, a low-level crook working for the Bilgeton mob. You all find yourselves across from each other at the infamous Scumbag's Table under the stairs. Nearby all the "fun" of the Hovel unfurls - there's a huge brawl going on in the fighting pit with at least two casualties so far, the tables are packed with boozy louts roaring at each other at the tops of their lungs, the bar's lined with the usual cretins waiting impatiently for the barkeep to eventually take their coin in exchange for cheap booze and poor service. The standing area is packed with drunkards stumbling against each other dangerously close to the javs boards, where idiots hurl javelins at full pelt into the wall from halfway across the room.

Nanker's running a bit late which is usual for the pompous blowhard. Your menagerie of dogs and cats are underfoot and barely under control as you sit around the table regarding each other warily.

This is a good time to get into character. Remember that Kandill and Drumf won't understand what the skeleton's saying but you can assume he's writing it down (though Kandill might not be able to read) or translating through Bhrandon if you want.

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Nov 20, 2016

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Bhrandon
Hovel and Harpy
Bilgeton

ELAN: 6
EFFORT: 50

Bhrandon morosely contemplates the crystal goblet of fine wine in front of him, holding it up to the light. Well, it's more a "wooden beaker" full of "vinegary pisswater", and there's not much light in this shithole that hasn't gotten grubby from having been passed through dozens of squinty, beady little eyes already. Still, he strikes the pose for a short while, eyeing the rest of the room to see if anyone's looking at him this time.

Dejected, he pours more from his cracked flagon, before returning it with a sticky "squelch" to the middle of the table, accidentally kicking his fellow creature of the night in the process and being rewarded with a half-hearted legful of stumpy teeth. If he was lucky he'd end up with a lingering and dramatic illness, but knowing his form he'll probably just be aching for a few hours. He hates this bar.

Sipping on his vinegar, Bhrandon considers his conversational options. He's met Drumpf fairly recently - seeking to get in on the "tweeting" thing as a way to spread his poetry, he purchased a discount raven from the dwarf, which was promptly mobbed and driven off by the feral pigeons that infest Bilgeton. Coccyx is more familiar; he's spotted him around his aunt's bar once or twice when the skeleton's been particularly low, and they've occasionally had the odd chat about spells before. Kandill he's only really seen in passing, normally while at the fringes of whatever protest he's been swept up in and hasn't managed to extricate himself from.

Bhrandon makes eyes at a bar-creature in an attempt to flag down another flagon of horrific wine, but gives up after a couple of seconds. Instead, he gives in, and breaks the silence.

"One, ah, wonders why they call him the 'Yanker'"...", he murmurs to the group. It's kind of difficult to hear what he's saying, as he mumbles.

-----

bad dog

also i dunno if you want to make a new game thread just for game posts and keep this one for OOC questions and additional recruitment and stuff?

Inexplicable Humblebrag fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Nov 20, 2016

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

bad dog

also i dunno if you want to make a new game thread just for game posts and keep this one for OOC questions and additional recruitment and stuff?

Good idea. Here is the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer
For Coccyx, I am planning write it with an inner monologue, out loud "thoughts that Bhrandon others that understand skeletons" hear, and "the audible dialog" of the pewter tongue. Since he's senile, I want to have him mostly thinking out loud unaware that he might be "overheard" or is that too fussy?

• Locked thread