Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I've finished Revelations 2. Episode 4 was good- the last boss ended up being a fair enough challenge, thought was certainly much less difficult than the last boss of the original Revelations. I think my main take away from the game now is that it is basically is the game that the Lost in Nightmares DLC for RE5 was the proof of concept for, with how it combines third person shooting with ammo scarcity. I think it fixes the main flaw of Lost in Nightmares too by not being super easy to cheese (At least from what I can see).

With the base game being so good, it's a shame both of the DLC's are kind of garbage despite both having some solid story beats. The Struggle has some nice ideas about survival mechanics though it's hurt by weapon availability- after hearing about the "secret weapon" in one section, I was thinking it was something useful. Instead I ended up with a second shotgun and due to a goof I had both of them toward the end of the DLC. I'm not even sure what I was supposed to be doing for parts of this- like I got caught in the stealth section in the village almost immediately, and welp didn't matter I guess since we just moved straight on to the next thing once I "escaped".

Little Miss is legitimately the worst segment of any RE game that I've played. It's nothing but forced stealth sections and boy are they neither well designed nor fun. Again I like the story beats here, but having to avoid enemies that Natalia has already been just running past through the main game is lame. It basically is everything I was just praising the main game for not being.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I've beaten every main RE game that's been released now.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Dec 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I really dug the lives mechanic The Struggle had, complete with an actual game over consequence if you used them up. Maybe not feasible for a full-length game, but it definitely added an element of gameplay tension that's been lacking from the series since they did away with ink ribbons.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Geight posted:

Is it a for sure thing or is it one of those perception things where we're all better at RE4 because we've played it a bunch before and thus the difficulty thing makes less ammo drop?

It was the first time I played it since the GC version first came out and I died like 50 times, pretty I wasn't close to the highest difficulty.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Geight posted:

I really dug the lives mechanic The Struggle had, complete with an actual game over consequence if you used them up. Maybe not feasible for a full-length game, but it definitely added an element of gameplay tension that's been lacking from the series since they did away with ink ribbons.
I'm fine with the lives mechanic, though the part where you hunted animals was a bit boring IMO. Not boring enough to not actually do though.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
Resident Evil 6 is one of the dumbest loving games I have ever played and I kind of love it.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Raxivace posted:

I'm fine with the lives mechanic, though the part where you hunted animals was a bit boring IMO. Not boring enough to not actually do though.

Yeah I think they wanted to strike a balance between having something that felt thematic but wasn't too challenging, so that people could max out their lives without having to exert themselves too much. The novelty of that part definitely didn't last.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Resident Evil 6 is one of the dumbest loving games I have ever played and I kind of love it.

:same:

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Thirded. I can't help but enjoy (almost) every moment, it just works for me. That Ubistvo fight on a tram/bus/whatever roof however can eat all the dicks. I hate that.

Regarding the DLC for Revelations 2, I quite liked both. I can easily see why Little Miss would be so maligned though.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Whats the best way to reintroduce Wesker

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

There isn't one. He's dead (again), leave it.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Have someone put his brain in a robot.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Time travel, obviously.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Every t-virus has Wesker in it. After you go Crimson Head, you find sunglasses and get a pompadour.

3DBlast
Oct 9, 2012
The demo is updated so when you try to leave the farmhouse Wesker punches you in the face, saying "You don't want to go back out there."

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

There isn't one. He's dead (again), leave it.

Sorry, but Umbrella Corps (a canon game) brought him back. I'm sure he'll kick our asses in a QTE in RE7.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Raxivace posted:

Time travel, obviously.

An old, battle-hardened Wesker defeats all of the protagonists and causes Armageddon. It is only when he is completely alone does he see the error of his ways. He travels back in time to stop himself.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Im actually suprised Jake did mot have an evil Wesker voice in his head

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he never actually met wesker. he has the bullshit wesker physique, but without shooting up all kinds of weird viruses and parasites he is just a very tough dude.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

An old, battle-hardened Wesker defeats all of the protagonists and causes Armageddon. It is only when he is completely alone does he see the error of his ways. He travels back in time to stop himself.
Ah, so this is what Wesker mode in RE0 HD was depicting.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Dude, way to spoil the last Resident Evil movie for all of us. :(

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Raxivace posted:

Ah, so this is what Wesker mode in RE0 HD was depicting.

:eyepop: How the gently caress did I not know about this?

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

RE:0 Wesker mode is real fun and chill. Definitely worth quickly powering through the main game to unlock.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Caesarian Sectarian posted:

RE:0 Wesker mode is real fun and chill. Definitely worth quickly powering through the main game to unlock.
No ammo? No problem!!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Spiffster posted:

Does the PC HD remaster version have the same money vs ammo drops the PS4 has? Sniping with the Steam Controller hasn't been the best and if I am going to get a crap ton of rifle ammo like you guys say your getting that's not exactly promising :smith:

I just beat the PC remaster last night and I was out of spare shotgun ammo and nearly out of spare pistol ammo by the end. I don't remember that ever happening on the GC and Wii version and I was also sitting on 450k ptas and a fully upgraded Red 9, Rifle, Striker, and Butterfly so yeah I think that checks out. New Game+ is about to be lit

Speaking of NG+, someone remind me how to be good at The Mercenaries again because boy howdy am I not looking forward to five star'ing everything with everyone to unlock the Handcannon :negative:

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I've always been terrible at RE4 Mercs and only remember somehow eventually smashing myself through the tedium of getting the Handcannon. "Just keep playing" is about the only advice I can give; eventually you'll just have enough perfect games to unlock the loving thing then realise it's not all that great after all considering what you have to do to acquire it.

Just beating the main campaign on Professional yields a much better reward :v:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
True, but the Handcannon just feels better y'know? The PRL is sweet but very one-note, I don't even remember if I've taken it all the way through a playthrough. Something new to try I guess!

It also doesn't help that Leon sucks rear end in Mercs compared to everyone else :argh:

VV I did it legit on the GC but on the Wii version I found a save on GameFAQs where it had been unlocked and just downloaded that. Only time I think I ever used the SD slot on that console.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Nov 16, 2016

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

In the GameCube original I eventually gave up and just used a GameShark. I do miss those days when you were able to cheat at games just to have fun.

Most fun I ever had with a play through was infinite ammo, no reloads mine thrower only.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you still can with pc games

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Mercenaries mode is ok, but I still miss Operation Mad Jackal.

There was something satisfying about getting through the streets of Raccoon City by the absolute skin of your teeth and then having 'Totally-Not Chief Irons' swivel around in his chair and give you a suitcase full of money.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Vakal posted:

'Totally-Not Chief Irons'
A friend of mine was convinced that you couldn't see his face because he was wearing a sack over it. Nothing to do with him sitting in a shadowy area to hide his identity. Nope. Irons just likes to wear a black bag over his head.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that is fairly plausible. he was a really strange dude.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

He tried to hide his identity, but he failed. Miserably....

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Wow I'm loving dumb for trying to actively use the knife on stuff in the original just now. Dead in record time; dog hallway!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Original original? The knife is definitely utter dogshit in REmake but It's been so long I don't remember the first game.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

As far as knife runs in REmake goes, you're better off only killing the seven or so mandatory enemies needed to complete the game and just running past everything else.

EDIT: I think I misread the Zogrim's post now but oh well.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Sakurazuka posted:

Original original? The knife is definitely utter dogshit in REmake but It's been so long I don't remember the first game.
Yep, the actual 1996 original; not even Director's Cut so no autoaim shenanigans for me. The knife is about as powerful as the Beretta for damage, with the obvious drawbacks of being a lovely-range knife with a notable wind-up animation so you have to get close and really learn to time swings properly. It works pretty well on lone Zombies (and I honestly recommend this early on in Director's Cut if playing without Babby Mode double ammo cheat), but its use should be absolutely avoided for pretty much everything else. So why I decided to go stabbing at a Cerberus is something I'll ask myself for the next few hours or so. (That being said, I have often used it before to murder a Cerberus if it's been shot into a corner first.)

Raxivace posted:

As far as knife runs in REmake goes, you're better off only killing the seven or so mandatory enemies needed to complete the game and just running past everything else.
Yep, just stab those few unavoidable encounters and avoid everything else like the plague. (And if you're just going for Achievments/Trophies/Whateverthefuckelseawardsarecalled then play on Very Easy as Chris too).

And yes the knife is indeed utterly loving horrible in REmake. During my recent 'Real Survival' run I used it against Yawn to conserve ammo (which was really low at this point thanks to all the extra clearing out I had to do), and no joke, I was running around that loving bookcase stabbing at his goddamned tail for over ten minutes.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
1st game the knife didn't feel like a burden was CV and that's because a swipe at the legs knocked the zombies down making it actually useful. On top of that if you slashed them mid fall it did extra damage for hitting multiple spots on a swing. Saved my rear end when ammo was tight in the early goings.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, the knife in CV was basically loving Excalibur. You could use it almost exclusively for zombies and have enough ammo to trivially obliterate the rest of the game.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The knife in CV was outstanding. If you finished of Nosferatu with it you get a great cutscene of stabbing him in the heart.

vvvvv Here, I found video. Man, this game didn't age well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmx9Tu5gBPY&t=100s

SettingSun fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Nov 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

SettingSun posted:

The knife in CV was outstanding. If you finished of Nosferatu with it you get a great cutscene of stabbing him in the heart.
This sounds amazing. I need a video of this right now.