Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Yami Fenrir posted:

Still remember it vividly. That day was around the time I was having doubts about doing the right thing, and Flaire is why. We were on the rooftop of the Halcyon Symphony Hall. Our goal was to kidnap the director of the place. Before we could break in, however, Flaire found us.

The problem is? She was too cocky, and came alone. Lumi wasn't with us yet - but Evil Eye was. And that was easily enough to defeat her. She thought me the only threat - one easily dealt with. But, of course... she was wrong. Evil Eye caught her in her illusion pretty much instantly - and it was already over.

Flaire was led to believe her power was being sucked out by a demon. She blasted her power everywhere, trying to get rid of the illusionary demon, but her attacks soon ceased, as she truly believed she had been depowered. And that's when I came in. I had been in hiding, waiting for a good moment to strike, and this was as good as any. As Evil Eye saw the issue dealt with, she went inside to catch the director, and left me alone with Flaire.

... Unfortunately for Flaire, I was having a really bad day. I hadn't fed in days, and she was the perfect target. She tried to fight back, but this only made it worse - I bashed her against an AC unit, and she got knocked out. That's where I sunk my fangs in, and just started drinking. And didn't stop. Only when Flaire started breathing irregularly I came to my senses and realized just how much of her blood I had just drained.

I panicked and just left her there, not even realizing her desperate pyromantics had attracted news helicopters looking for a scoop. They recorded nearly all of it. Later on, in the news, they noted she had been hospitalized due to a bad concussion and severe bloodloss.

This was where I decided I can't do this anymore.

Yeah it's totally crazy that Flaire has kept this incident to herself and not shared her misgivings about this incident with the team, despite it being just a shade short of murder and also super cruel because fame and powers are basically all that she has~ Maybe she's saving it for a more dramatic moment to reveal what happened?

Also three votes for Silver Bolt as leader, so its his - cannot say Flaire it terribly happy about this, but at least he was her second choice. Second in command (if that's a thing) isn't Flaire either, so who cares?

Rauri fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jul 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Game thread up

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

So, one thing I'm a little unclear on is who goes to which school. There's the public school in the seedy warehouse district, and the snooty rich kid school uptown. Silver bolt and Baraccuda go to the rich kid school, but how about the rest of y'all?

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Entropy goes to Public School, of course. They're rich, but not playboy rich.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Public for Tatsu, when he bothers to go, which is not often (i.e. whenever the plot demands it are the days he actually shows up).

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Hamon goes to college.

By which I mean he hangs around the SLRI which is on college grounds so technically that counts, he lacks the US citizenship for any actual required schooling afterall.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 25, 2016

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Bolt and Lodestone are public school kids.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Bunny is too cool for school!

Actually, too dangerous. Which is why she's 'home'schooled. She doesn't care much about it, but you know, league orders.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Flaire used to go to the public school, but dropped out a year ago to pursue heroing fulltime. Due to the League's rules she has to complete classwork on her computer, but it's not that hard (and she often has her fans help her with it) so no trouble there.

While technically some of her previous schoolmates might, with extreme luck, be able to put two and two together as to her identity, it definitely wouldn't be easy - before she obtained powers Flaire used to wear glasses, be rail thin, act like a nerd, and had brown hair instead of red. Plus very few people ever paid any attention to her back then either.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Oh yeah - I forgot to comment on Bunny Bat's room. I'd figure it'd be like a basement dorm room type of deal - with the exception of the coffin in the place with the most protection from the sun instead of a bed. It has a computer desk, fully stocked, and is generally filled with random crap you wouldn't expect a teenager to have, courtesy of Dracula.

On top of that, its permanently locked. And trapped to a comical amount, thanks to Silver Bolts presence. It'd be hard for even Silver Bolt to get in without triggering them an an alarm both. She usually leaves through the tiny window in bat form.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Lots of thinking, but I'm gonna take You've Got a Head You Don't Need.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Spending my Potential to take Drives as my advance.

Starting with
Take down a threat all on your own
Pull off a ridiculous stunt
Get drunk or high with a teammate
Punch out a teammate

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Been a bit since posts, so wanted to see if people need something more from the prompts or just having some trouble posting or what.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Yami's been sadbrains, I've been writer's blocked, Shoota's PC exploded, and mistaya was moving these past weeks. So really, the game going slow is godfish's fault.

(I'm getting over my stuff and posting a lot more over the next couple nights to get all caught back up, maybe a scene transition would help though?)

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Rauri posted:

Yami's been sadbrains, I've been writer's blocked, Shoota's PC exploded, and mistaya was moving these past weeks. So really, the game going slow is godfish's fault.

(I'm getting over my stuff and posting a lot more over the next couple nights to get all caught back up, maybe a scene transition would help though?)

drat it, Godfish!

(I'll do a transition later this week, then.)

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Yeah don't hinge anything heavy on Tatsu for now, I'm supposed to get some of the stuff I need by the 11th, then I need to find enough money for a whole new hard drive :suicide:

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Yeah I was in a car driving across America this week. I'm back though!

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Ok, PC issues sorted out...ish. Gonna try and post where I'm due over the course of this week, in between piecing my internet life back together from scratch.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Been neglecting this for a bit, but I'm going to reopen apps for the week. They'll end Friday evening, and I'll have a post by then. The team currently consists of a Star, a Bull, a Janus, and a Legacy. Also, only use the core playbooks, please.

Instead of the original ones, please answer these questions.
Which hero sponsored you for this team and what did you do to get their attention?
What have you accomplished in town over the past month?
(optional) What are you doing in the show's intro credits montage?

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Hero Name: Mithril

Hey! I'm Mithril. You probably know me best as Damascus's sidekick. That cute psychic girl with the swords? No? You heard about time I saved those people from that subterranean slave ring, right? What, you haven't? Aw, come on! I'll admit I don't really make much of an impression, not compared to the big guy. But now? I'm finally ready to strike out on my own and make a name for myself. Get ready, villains of Halcyon, cause I'm coming for you!

• How did you first meet your mentor?

Well, it wasn’t the greatest first impression I could have made. I was still just a little kid. Just coming into my powers. I don’t really remember what caused it, maybe getting scared of someone in the crowd, but I was having a bit of a meltdown in the middle of the mall. A psychic meltdown. The better part of the food court was orbiting around me. Chairs, tables, a few stragglers. There were a few heroes that showed up before Damascus, but they couldn’t get through the barriers I was unconsciously throwing up. But him? He just walked straight on through, wreathed in those blue flames. The chairs and tables just bounced off his armor. I was so scared. I thought he was going to beat me up and take me to jail. Instead, he picked me up, told me it was all going to be okay, and walked me over to where my mom was waiting. That was that. Something about him was just so reassuring. I couldn’t even remember what had gotten me worked up.

• When and why did you choose to train with them?

After the mall incident, the Super League decided that I was a bit of a risk to have walking around unsupervised. They decided that I was going to need someone who could train me to control my emotions and harness my powers. So, yeah, I got told that I would be working with a league representative for the foreseeable future. It wasn’t all bad. I was able to choose from a few potential mentors. The League has a few flavors of psychics represented. But really? They were all just names on paper. You see them on the news, sure, but who are they really? What are they like off-camera? There was only one person on the list I knew. Damascus. I was still a little dazed by the whole prospect of my next years having been decided for me. I needed that little bit of familiarity.

• Why did they agree to train you?

I didn’t hear this until a few years later when I finally asked him about it, but Damascus said that when we first met he could tell I had the right mindset for a hero. Even in the middle of a full-on explosion of emotions, he said, I didn’t hurt anyone. I wasn’t attacking anyone. I just threw up shield after shield. So there it was. He saw a bit of himself in me. Someone who wanted to protect people. He doesn’t really interact much with his compatriots in the league. He’s very much focused on protecting people. I think just about everyone was shocked when he agreed to take me on. I think I was the only one who wasn’t. It just felt right.

• Who else, outside of the team, knows about your training?

My mom, of course. We don’t see each other much these days, just mostly for the holidays. I’ve been living with Damascus in the League’s housing for years now. She moved to the suburbs and has been really focused on her career. I think she’s seeing someone? Other than that, hm, I guess there’s Roxy Bennett. She’s one of my friends at school. I don’t really talk to her about much of my hero stuff, but she’s way into following a couple of up-and-comers on social media. She put the pieces together and figured out my hero identity based on nothing more than a few blurry pictures and after-action reports. It’s kind of impressive, really. Maybe I’ll be able to share more once I branch out from working with Damascus. He’s a bit of a recluse and it’s kind of difficult to talk about me without also talking about him. I want to respect his privacy, right?

• Why do you care about the team?

So, other than school and a few independent patrols, I’ve been on a pretty regimented training schedule. I don’t exactly have a lot of time to get out there and make friends. Do normal things. Damascus is basically my dad, you know? He’s fun to hang out with and I’ve, for the most part, really enjoyed working with him. That said, he’s literally decades older than me. You cannot believe how much I want to just be around people my own age. Also, just saying, but it should be criminal to use telepathy to make dad jokes in your head. Criminal!

• Which hero sponsored you for this team and what did you do to get their attention?

The invincible Damascus, of course! We had just finished busting up a hostage situation at the docks when he turned to me, looked me straight in the eyes, and said, “You’re ready.” That blew me away. I like working with Damascus a lot! He’s a brilliant tactician and he always has my back when I need an assist. But, you know, I want to get out there and be a hero on my own merits. It’s always going to be “Damascus and his sidekick” not “Damascus and Mithril.” I had been hearing the rumors of this new junior team in town. I may have floated the idea a few times. Hints. Notes. A giant sign. Haha, okay, maybe not the last one. But the answer was always the same. “When you’re ready.” I was starting to give up hope that he’d ever think I was ready.

• What have you accomplished in town over the past month?

Well, we took down one of the major players down at the dock when we busted up that hostage situation. Some sort of octopus-man going by the name of Undertow. Lots of mooks in suits. Possible mob ties? Other than that? It's been kind of quiet. A good chance to focus on my training. It takes a lot of practice to wield four swords with careful application of telekinetic force and simultaneously coordinate rescue operations with precision telepathy. Damascus expects nothing less than my best at all time. A slip in my concentration could have dire consequences for those around me. I need to be a shield to protect the common man.

• (optional) What are you doing in the show's intro credits montage?

Alex stands in front of a building on fire, then charges towards it. As she runs, a quartet of swords fly in from off-screen and slice a hole in the wall that she jumps through. The camera pauses on a shot of the building for a moment, then she leaps out of an upper window carrying a small child in her arms and the child's parents float down beside her. Damascus looks on from a distant rooftop in a dramatic pose.

The Protege posted:

Hero Name: Mithril
Look: Female, White, Lean Body, School Uniform, Protective Gear

Abilities:
Weapons and Gadgets (Mine)
Telekinesis/Telepathy (Shared)
Powerful Armor (Mentor)

Labels:
Freak +0
Danger -1
Savior +2
Superior +2
Mundane +0

Mentor: Damascus

Embodies Savior, Denies Danger

The invincible Damascus! His armor turns aside the harshest of blows and protects all from harm. He is a firm believer in rehabilitation and avoiding violent solutions when possible. But when evil leaves him no choice, his fists blaze with righteous fury!

Mentor’s Resources: A weapon of last resort (an armored suit that functions as a psionic overcharger), a supercomputer, and a vehicle (a focusing tool to create a solid psionic construct large enough to transport a small group).

Protege Moves:

Been Reading The Files: You’ve learned about the superhuman world through your mentor’s resources. When you first encounter an important superpowered phenomenon (your call), roll + Superior. On a hit, tell the team one important detail you’ve learned from your studies. The GM will tell you what, if anything, seems different from what you remember. On a 10+, ask the GM a follow-up question; they will answer it honestly. On a miss, the situation is well outside your base of knowledge; the GM will tell you why.

Fireside Chat: When you seek advice from your mentor, roll + the Label they embody. On a hit they will tell you what to do. On a 10+, mark potential if you follow their advice, and take +1 ongoing to follow through. On a 7-9, you get +1 forward to see it through if you do it their way. On a miss, they don’t have time for you because something big has gone down; mark a condition, GM’s choice.

Heroic Tradition: When you give someone the advice that you think your mentor would give, you can roll + the Label your mentor embodies to comfort or support someone, instead of rolling + Mundane.

There when it matters: (Advance) When you defend someone, on a hit you can hold 1 instead of choosing one from the list. Spend your hold when they are in danger later to arrive on the scene ready to help.

Moment of Truth:
The moment that you show who you really are: your mentor, or something different. You can do whatever your mentor could do and more. You can do the incredible, even the things they always failed to accomplish. Of course, they’re not going to see you the same way, no matter which path you choose…

Team Moves:
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if you’ve been a good leader or effective teammate. If they say yes, your mentor loses Influence over you and you mark potential. If they say no, your mentor gains Influence over you, and you take +1 forward on using the Label your mentor embodies.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them a secret about your mentor (including your feelings towards them). Give them Influence over you and add 1 Team to the pool.

Relationships:
You and ____________________ teamed up a few times before the rest of you came together.
Your mentor is cautious; they asked you to keep an eye on __________________.

Influence:
Choose your demeanor: playful or business.
If you choose playful, give Influence to two teammates.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 21, 2016

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Theme Music!

Greetings to you! I am known as Fiuzm Szirwyicyrw Ludhqadv! What? You are struggling to pronounce it? Oh! My apologies! I had forgotten that your world's tongue has trouble speaking the names of my people! My name, roughly translated, is Faith Starseeker Lilygold, and it is most nice to meet you! I hope we are to be fast friends, yes?

quote:

• Where do you come from?

Ah, this question, it is a bit complicated. You see, my family, we do not have a "home," in a traditional sense. We are- oh what was that word again? Ah! Yes, nomadic! We are called the Starseekers, and we are a family of travelling merchants. We travel from star to star, planet to planet, and engage in trade with all sorts of different people. Our caravan trades in all kinds of different goods, from rare materials, to exotic foods, to various other knick-knacks. We do not deal with weapons, though, the act of selling weapons or anything that might bring harm to others is strictly forbidden!

Who leads our caravan? Why, it is none other than my two fathers!

On the left is Baba Raelis, and on the right is Papa Ammon.

Baba is the one who handles most of the trading and the negotiations, and he is also a wonderful man! He is the sort of man who always has a genuine smile on his face. I do not think I have ever seen Baba frown! Baba is known for making fast friends with anybody he meets. To him, a customer is just another friend, and as long as you return that respect back to him, he will always treat you as if you were a member of our family. Oh! But do not be mistaken! He is not naive. Many try to trick Baba, and use his good-hearted nature against him, but Baba is shrewd, and will trick them back, often with a laugh.

Papa is our family protector. He is a quiet and soft-spoken warrior, trained in all sorts of different fighting skills. While he does not smile, or laugh, as much as Baba, he cares for us as deeply as Baba does, and he is always ready to act whenever another dares to threaten any of us. I love my two fathers equally, but of the two, I have taken to Papa a little more. Don't tell Baba I said that! He gets jealous easily!

quote:

• Why did you come to Earth?

I am glad you asked! Baba has a few close friends on your world, so he likes to stop by to say hello and share Earth drinks with them, and he always regales us with such wondrous tales of his time there! One day, I begged him to take me with him on one of his trips, and after hours of relentless begging, he agreed to take me! And what a joyous trip it was!

I have been to many worlds before, but yours- how do I even put this? Your world, Earth, is the most special. Yes, it is not the most advanced planet, but it is just so diverse. So many different types of people! So many wonderful locations! So many different things to do! And the food! By the stars! I have never tasted food as incredible as Earth food! Especially the, what was it again? Pizza? Yes, pizza! Such a wonderful piece of cuisine! The way the cheese melts in your mouth! That wonderful smell! The soft and crunchy crust! And so many different kinds of flavors, all that taste good! It is truly like food from the heavens!

Oh, and let us not forget about the heroes. Baba has always told us stories about the heroes of your world, but seeing them in action- it was like nothing I have ever seen before. They are like brave warriors from the tales of old. They fight, not for themselves, but for the good of the world, and for the people, it is almost... inspiring!

When I saw one of your heroes in action, saving the lives of many, that was when I knew. I knew I wanted to be just like them. I wanted to be a hero.

quote:

• Why do you want to stay here (for now at least)?

The life of a merchant, it is not a life for me, and Papa noticed this. I was the child who would often wonder around, and get into all sorts of trouble. Baba would sit me down in his meetings, but I never had the patience for them. I wanted to go out, and explore! I wanted to experience adventure! But I was never able to, not while I was still with the caravan.

That is why, when I came to Earth, I saw my chance. A chance to be more than a merchant. Baba was friends with many of the heroes here, so I asked- begged him to let me stay and train under one of them. He refused. It wasn't until Papa became involved that he changed his mind. Papa noticed my growing unrest, and believed that it was better for me to find my own path, rather than be forced into one I do not believe in. He and Baba argued for a while, until Baba finally relented. It was the only time I have ever seen him frown.

I am excited for my new life here! So many adventures to be had, and so many different Earth foods to eat!

quote:

• Why do your people want you to come home?

I am the oldest child, and as the oldest, it was believed that it was my responsibility to take over the business when Baba retires. There are those in my family who see my leaving as me shirking my responsibilities, and they are very vocal about their dissatisfaction. I am sad that not everybody in my family can be supportive of my decision, but this is the life I have chosen now, and I do not intend to go back on it.

quote:

Baba has a saying, "Money and status will only get you so far. It is not until you have open your heart to others that you feel true richness." My team, they are more than just that; they are my friends, and my new family. If we do not care for each other, then what is the point of being together? Each and everyone of them are wonderful people, and I do not intend to let them down!

quote:

• Which hero sponsored you for this team and what did you do to get their attention?

Strike is the hero Baba set up to be my guide and trainer. She and Baba go way back, and she apparently owes him favors? Strike has been very... patient with me as I adjust to Earth customs (How was I supposed to know you do not shake the backside of a hand?), and has been kind enough to take me with her on her missions. She had informed me of a new junior team being formed, and said it would be a great opportunity for me to learn how to work with a team. I leaped to the opportunity the moment she mentioned it!

quote:

Ah! Yes! I have made a great many accomplishments in my time here, but let me tell you about the one I am most proud of!

In between my time training, I had decided that I wanted to learn more about the inner workings of your world. So, I got a job! I worked as a... delivery girl, I think it was called? Oh! I should mention I made sure to hide my tail and horns! I wanted to "blend in," as they say! Anyways, my employment was to a pizza place that goes by the name of Don Mario's, and it was to be my responsibility to take this delicious treat to the hungry, with nothing but my wits, and the bike they provided me with. "A bike?" You might ask, "Can't you fly?" Why, I'm glad you asked! Yes, I can fly, but I have decided to put a self-imposed challenge on myself! I would deliver these pizzas without the aid of my powers, and use nothing but my own ingenuity! It would be like a test, for my skills! A challenge for me to overcome, on my way to being a hero! And I did it! I now hold the record for most deliveries made in one day, without the use of my powers! I was unstoppable! No amount of traffic, angry neighbors, dogs, or street violence would ever get in my way! Pizza is a gift, and must be shared with all!

quote:

Faith is in a room surrounded with way too many junk foods, more than any human being could ever handle. She looks incredibly ecstatic, and gorges on the food while the rest of the team look in stunned silence.

The Outsider posted:

Hero Name: Starseeker
RealEarth Name: Faith Lilygold
Look: woman, human body, glowing eyes, average clothing, practical costume

Abilities:
Flight
Pretty Tough
HeliokinesisPyrokinesis
Stunning Beauty

Labels:
Freak +2
Danger -1
Savior +0
Superior +2
Mundane +0

Outsider Moves:

Belong in two worlds: You have the resources that come with your station. Whenever you contact your people, roll + Superior. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7-9, hold 2. On a miss, hold 1, but your people make an uncomfortable demand of you. Spend your hold 1 for 1 to:
- receive a useful piece of alien technology that will allow you to use any ability from another playbook once (choose the ability when you spend the hold)
- consult your people’s knowledge to ask the GM a question about the current situation
- clear a condition through the comfort of contact with your home

Alien tech: When you alter a human device with your alien technology, roll + Freak. On a hit, you create a device that can do something impossible once and then fizzle. When you roll a 10+, choose one:
- it works exceptionally well
- you get an additional use out of it
On a miss, the device works, but it has a completely unintended side effect that the GM will reveal when you use it.

The best of them: When you comfort or support someone by telling them how they exemplify the best parts of Earth, roll +Freak instead of +Mundane.

Advancement

C'mon Lucky: You have a pet of some kind, a smaller companion that helps you out. Detail it. Choose three basic moves and tell the GM how it helps you with those moves. Whenever your pet could help you, take +1 to that move. If your pet ever gets hurt, treat it as taking a powerful blow.

Mimi, the Inter-dimensional Living Chest

Basic Moves:
Directly Engage a Threat: Mimi's teeth are sharp enough to cleave even through the strongest of metal.
Comfort or Support: Mimi is very affectionate, like your world's puppy dogs. If he likes you, he will leap and slobber you with his kisses!
Defend: Do not mind if Mimi swallows you, that is his way of protecting you from harm! Besides, he will spit you out eventually!

Moment of Truth:
You embrace your home and call them for aid. They will answer your call—in force!—arriving exactly when you need them to turn the tide. They fight and serve you for the rest of the battle. Of course, when all is said and done...they’d probably like to take you home with them. You did, after all, just prove yourself worthy.

Team Moves:
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, take Influence over them if you show them meaningful affection, physical or emotional. They decide if it’s meaningful.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, they tell you what you should do to fit in more. Take +1 forward to do it, and mark potential if you do.

Relationships:
You’ve been learning about Earth by spending time with _____________.
You have a crush on ________________ but you keep it under wraps.

Influence:
Choose your demeanor: haughty or cheerful.
If you’re cheerful, you’re thrilled to be here. Give everyone Influence over you.

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Nov 25, 2016

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Building a NOVA here

Theme Music!

quote:

Energy blade met energy blade in the air and for a moment! Sparks flew as a flurry of blows was exchanged rapidly! Voidcaller twisted her sword into a snakes head, that lashed out suddenly! Nobody deflected it, spining backwards to get some breathing room! He slammed his hands together and the air rippled, Voidcaller taking the blow hard! She was thrown from her hovering position in mid air and smashed into the wall.

"Give it up Voidcaller! Please! I don't want to hurt you!" Nobody shouted. But Voidcaller sneered.

"Really? You seem to be doing rather the opposite right now!" She floated back into the air. Looking down at her enemy coldly. Nobody gritted his teeth. Dammit, how could he fight her like this? If he hurt her too badly...

"I can see you're looking rather conflicted. Let me make this easier for you." Voidcaller started to gesture, chanting, calling out to the things she served. Nobody tried to stop her, but a fell wind rose up, and it was all he could do to stop himself being bowled over! The air parted on a line as thick as a hair, A doorway to the Limbo! Something started to ooze out of it!

"You have two choices Nobody. You can chase me, and maybe even stop me once and for all. Or you can stop my friend her from ripping the whole of the city apart while I get away! HAHAHA!"

"Or maybe we can take the third option, were do neither of those and we go and talk out our differences over a slice of cake?" Nobody offered hopefully. But something started to force it's way into the world. "Crap." Nobody rushed forward. His hands moving in familiar patterns. He was going to shut this door before this thing could get through!

"Too late." Voidcaller said with a malicious grin, and snapped her fingers! The door shot open with a scream and Nobody found himself caught in the blastwave. Thrown through the air by the archane explosion, he hit the brickwork of the wall and went straight through it, across the open space of the street and into the warehouse on the other side. His wards had held. But even so, loving ow!

"God dammit, you try to be nice and look what happens!" He mutters to himself, jumping back through the hole and into the street. No sign of the Limbo thing. Well that wasn't good. The Limbo was drawn to strong emotions... so it would be looking to feed... the city centre?

He got the answer a few seconds later when the sounds of destruction reached his ears. Within seconds Nobody had stepped through into the limbo and was off running! The Limbo jumped at his command, firing him through the air at great speeds in the direction of the city centre. He could see the ripple of it moving. It was so big that the Limbo was bending around it! Just what had Voidcaller unleashed?! He'd have to find out when he caught up with her. With a thought Nobody stepped back out into realspace, and looked upon the monster that was currently stomping on cars.

Some kinda giant squid-king-man-thing. Woo!

Nobody could see other heroes flying around, trying to bring it down. But it was having none of their poo poo. A few others were clearing out the civies. Good. God forbid anyone get hurt. One of them landed right next to him. But he ignored her, thinking of the exact combination of spells to bring it down.

"You have to get out of here." She said. Great, she was getting people out of here! It would let him work in peace. He only realised she was talking to him when she grabbed him around the middle and took off.

"Stop struggling! It's not safe to stay here!" Eclipse said. Slinging Nobody over her shoulder and taking to the air. Putting him down a few blocks away. "Okay, leave it to us, just get away from here." She gave him a smile. Nobody watched her fly back into the fray with a slight twitch of his eye, stunned.

Eclipse landed again, trying to get a sense of the sheer size of the thing. How on earth were they going to bring it down? It just shrugged off whatever they threw at it, and the tentacles were stopping anyone getting closer. Think! Think! Glancing around again, she was shocked to see someone else standing next to her... wait, wasn't that the same boy she'd just rescued?

"What are you doing? You have to get out of here!" She grabbed him again, but he didn't move.

"So you said." He muttered, clenching and unclenching his hands, they cracked ominously. "You're going about this the wrong way. It's drawing power from just existing here. You've got to overdose it on where it was before."

Eclipse blinked at him. "...What? Do you have something to do with this?" Nobody gave her a look. "Who are you?" He grinned.

"Me? Oh, I'm Nobody." Then he vanished. Poof, gone. Eclipse looked around quickly. Spotting him near the giant's head. Standing up on the roof. The was a flash, and it reeled back! Roaring in pain! He followed this up by materialising a fist the size of a bus and laying into the squid! As it stumbled back he gestured, a series of marks appearing over it's body, each linking to one another like a constellation!

"Return to the void! Seventh sealing circle! Banish!" He roared as the monster started to be sucked back into the Limbo. It clawed at the ground, it's form turning into smoke as it was drawn backwards into the gate. Okay, the words were entirely unnecessary, but Angel Witch Pink had rubbed off on him a little bit. With one final scream the squid scattered and returned from whence it came. "Phew, thank god for that..." Nobody murmured to himself. Turning on his heel to walk away, another job well done. City saved. Only to find himself surrounded by the heroes. "....uhhh, thank god that I'm saved. Thank you brave heroes! I'll just be going now..."

"How did you do that?" Eclipse said, pointing her finger. "You're going nowhere, not until you answer some questions." Nobody opened his mouth, and then shut it again. This one had got a little out of hand. He'd always known he'd have to step into the light at some point.

"Okay, okay! I'll answer your questions... Just not here."

And that was how Nobody got picked up by the heroes.

Hi, my name is... Unimportant. Literally, it's Unimportant. Yeah, I had a bad childhood, really tragic. But, that's not why we're here is it? You're here about the whole super hero thing, right? Well, you're not the first. But at least you're not trying to lock me in a cell or possess my body for nefarious deeds. Which honestly is a nice change of pace. Usually I'm neck deep in nastiest from the Limbo and spandex wearing madmen proclaiming they're going to dominate the world.

• When did you first use your powers?

Thats... Okay, first things first. Some of this stuff it's difficult to pin down if I ever wasn't capable of it, you know? But I suppose the first time I crossed over to the Limbo was a few years ago. The arguments at home were getting worse. And when things go bad, my mom reached for the bottle first, then she reached for the belt. As usual it was my fault I was getting beaten, because I dared to exist you see. I wanted so badly to not exist that I stepped over. Although, looking back, it's hard to say if it was the Void or the Dreaming I ended up in, ether way, far as anyone knew I just vanished.

It was then that I first met the wolves. Those guys standing around me? They're spirits of some kind. Seems they'd been waiting for me to awaken, and had rather rudely been supping on my wellspring of power for a while. They don't have names, names have power you see, and on the other side, that can be deadly. They offered to teach me how to tap into this new world I'd found myself in, in return they get to keep getting fed.

Frankly I love dogs, so I managed to sneak in a bit about petting as well into the pact. But they taught me. Taught me that the world I knew was a fragile facade, a thin layer of ice over a raging river, and the slightest poke can bring that river to the surface. They called it Animus. The art of energy transference and control between the worlds.

They said some other things but I'd stopped listening. I just remember wagging tails and ear scratches...

I like dogs, okay?

I found out there are endless worlds beyond our own, but most of them are just a hairs breadth away from our own. I call them the Limbo. The lands beyond. You've got your Void, The Dreaming, The Shade, The ominous as gently caress land of lightning and rocks (that one's a personal favourite). I know I've only scratched the surface. But the deeper you go, the harder it is to go back, so for the most part, I skim the surface. It's safer that way.

• Who was the first person you accidentally hurt with your powers?

It didn't take me long after that to push it too far. Yeah, I was an idiot to not actually listen to the magical talking spirit wolves who were probably warning me of the dangers of using my powers. I got into a lot of fights when I was a kid (implying that I don't now), but that one... that one got serious. There was this kid, few years older then me. Arnold Hutchins, we'd been angling for each other for a while. I was a weirdo loner, he was an arsehole with an ego the size of Wisconsin. Match made in heaven, you know? Well, we trade lines, then mean looks, then pushes, then fists. We're really going for it. Well, Arnold draws a pen knife. And I lose it. I hit him so hard I blast him into another dimension.

Hell, I punch him so hard I go with him. We spent two days trapped in there while I tried to work out how to get us back. I learned that day that not everything was as friendly as the wolves were. Some of the things on that side where hungry. Arnold got a pretty serious mauling. I got him home in the end, said we'd been attacked by wild dogs. He's still got the scars today. We didn't fight after that. Not really. But he resented me, and he has every right to. I nearly killed him. Nowadays he's building a career as a paranormal investigator. I send him anonymous tips every now and then. At least until I've got the guts to actually face him myself and say how sorry I am. Although admittedly he's got an amazing ability to find his way into the middle of whatever I'm doing.

So yeah, I nearly killed someone. I learned quickly how dangerous what I could do really was. You better believe I listened to the wolves a lot more closely after that!

• Who, outside the team, helps you control your powers?

There two two people who've been invaluable, both to controlling my powers and keeping my sense of self intact.

ANGEL WITCH PINK!

She's a practitioner, and her powers have some similarities to the mechanics of my own. She's taught me practices and rites to help focus and control the energies I've got access to, and honestly she's amazing good fun! She's a really grumpy goth normally, then she turns into this sparkling pink magical warrior who acts all cute and happy, really over the top. When she turns back she finds glitter hidden all over her clothes. Plus when you're trying to stay in the background having someone jump into the ring and do all these poses and speeches is really useful. She's always got my back, and having a formular to access the Limbo stops me from warping the world too much.

The other person?

This is Jenny. She... she's like me. She's tapped into the Limbo. She practically lives with the spirits. She's lonely, and well meaning. She taught me something really important. She taught me to accept myself. I was filled with self doubt, worries, depression. And she just... she treated me like a person. You forget about that, sometimes it's nice to have a friend who understands. She made me go out and make other friends, I can't just be Nobody, I've sometimes got to be somebody. She used to stop me going out on patrol and forced me to watch movies with her. I fell asleep watching Cloverfield. It was the first time I'd slept in days. It's amazing how long you can go when you're tapping into otherworldly energies.

• Why do you continue to use your powers?

I've seen what's on the other side. I've seen how it feeds on suffering. They say ghosts are left by unresolved tasks, moments of great trauma. Well that's partly right. Things like that tear a hole in the limbo, and these things step through. First they feed on fear, then despair, and then blood. It gets nasty quick. I could ignore it, walk away and never look back. But I'm not like my father, who looks away. I'm going to step up, I'm going to fight whatever evil I can find. So that the raging river I mentioned? So that one day it can go back to the gentle stream it used to be.

Is what I would say if I was a pretentious arsehole. Frankly, I just like seeing people smile. People don't know this, but strong emotions fill the limbo with colour. It's pretty black and white otherwise. It looks amazing when people are happy, and for a while? It keeps the monsters fed. Win win really. People are happy, I feel good, and no monsters to deal with.

I care because they're fighting for the right reasons. They're doing everything they can to battle evil, that takes guts. Plus, in comparison to me? Who hides in the shadows? They're doing it in front of everyone, they get judged, hard. For every little slip up. That's a lot of pressure. But they rise to it, and I respect that.

I'm a big fan of Flaire. I've even joined in some of the competitions she hosts. Although I try to do it with my own natural abilities. I'm not a cheater. Honestly, I think she does all this hero stuff because she's really lonely. Desperate to be accepted and loved and all that. It must be hard, being the only Pheonix anyone knows about. Plus... there's something about her fire that just... it feels familiar some how. Not really sure why.

Oh, then there's Barracuda, I've seen her do her thing, she actually once cancelled out Void energies. That was mind blowing, like holy crap! I don't even know if she knew what she did. I mean, she just ate magic like it was a burger! You don't do that! It's crazy! She should have at least exploded or something! But no, just shut it down. I really want to look at her in the Limbo, god only knows what she looks like.

Silverbolt is a pretty cool guy, Monster hunters do a pretty hard job. I mean, they've had to deal with things beyond the Limbo before. Without my kinda powers. That takes a lot of balls. So I've got mad respect for his family. It can't be easy stepping into those shoes.

Tatsu is kinda an oddball. Dude is practically dripping with magic, animating his whole body, and that's pretty unsettling. He's still clearly gone through some bad things, but he's still there, he's still fighting to do the right thing. Kinda always wanted to buy him a drink. He seems like he could do with one.

I've got three organised syndicates running scared. It's genuinely funny hearing then scream that 'Nobody is after them!'. First there is confusion, then they try to clarify, but by then it's already too late and I'm in the room. I've hunted down and banished two nightmares, and three or four spectres. I stopped a bank robbery, and threw down with my arch nemisis (jesus, that sounds so cheesy, I need a better term. Some arsehole? Ehhh, going to need to work on it).

This is her, Voidcaller

She took the other path, she went too deep into the Limbo, she came back changed. There are "things" in there that want to be out here. She acts like a door for them. Letting them into this world. Half the monsters I deal with are just things that she lets out. She's trying to open her door wider, let the Limbo flood out. I can't let that happen. It's my responsibility.

She's pretty cunning. Heck she's starting to use other things as a distraction. Giving people pieces of the Limbo, dangerous artifacts that can cause all kinds of damage. They're unstable and... I don't want to think of what could happen if they go out of control. I mean, there are naturally occurring ones. I heard about this one that could summon and control fire. Although it disappeared a while back, still not quite sure what happened to it. Hopefully no one broke it... That would be really bad.

Most of the time I return them to the Limbo, safely dispose of them. I keep the least harmless ones. It can be useful to have a little back up, also there's one that quacks like a duck when you yodel, and that's just too funny! Ah, sorry, I'm getting off topic.

Voidcaller is my responsibility to help, because she's someone else I've hurt with my powers. We were friends once. We were exploring the Limbo together, she wanted to go deeper, I wanted to get out, she wouldn't go so I tried to pull her out with my powers. She looked so betrayed, I stopped immediately, but she turned and ran deeper. I was so ashamed that I let her go. I should have gone after her. Because now she's trying to take over the world. I have to save her.

Nobody is walking down a back alley, he shifts over to the Limbo, spell circles surrounding his hands as he breaks into a run, the world warping around him as he rushes some badguy.

quote:

Hero Name: Nobody
Look: Man, White, normal skin, casual clothing, no costume
Abilities: Sorcery

Labels:

Freak +3
Danger +1
Savior 0
Superior 0
Mundane -1

Nova Moves:

Burn
When you charge up your powers, roll + conditions you currently have marked. On a hit, hold 3 burn. On a 7-9, mark a condition. On a miss, hold 2 burn and mark three conditions. Spend your burn on your flares. You lose all burn at the end of the scene. Choose four flares.
- Shielding: You call up a fast protective field to stop a danger. Spend 1 burn to defend someone else from an immediate threat, rolling + Freak instead of + Savior.
- Boost: Spend 1 burn to supercharge a teammate’s efforts with your powers, giving them a +1 bonus to their roll as if you had spent Team from the pool.
- Move: Spend 1 burn to move to any place you choose within the scene, breaking through or slipping past any barriers or restraints in your way. Spend a second burn to move to any place you’ve previously been.
- Overcharge: You channel the full capacity of your incredible powers to overcome an obstacle, reshape your environment, or extend your senses. Spend 2 burn to take a 10+ when you unleash your powers.

Advancement

Unlock 3 more Flairs
- Reality storm: You channel a destructive burst with your powers. Spend 1 burn to directly engage a threat using your powers, rolling + Freak instead of + Danger. If you do, you will cause unwanted collateral damage unless you spend another burn.
- Worship: You put out a tremendous display of your might. Spend 1 burn to awe an audience into silence, respect, and attention when you unleash your powers.
- Elemental awareness: Spend 1 burn and mark a condition to open your mind up to the world around you with your powers. You can ask any one question about the world around you, and the GM will answer honestly.

Moment of Truth:

Your mind’s eye opens, and you can see the world around you like never before. You can control it, at will, with ease. Of course, warping reality tends to have ramifications down the line, but in your moment of godhood...how could you possibly be worried?

Team Moves:

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if there is any fear in their eyes when they look at you. If they say no, take +1 forward and mark potential. If they say yes, immediately shift your Danger up and Savior down.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them how they could stop you, if it came down to it. Give them Influence over you and clear a condition.

Relationships:

You hang out all the time with __________________ to blow off steam.
You once hurt ________________ when you lost control of your powers.

Influence:

Choose your demeanor: happy facade or locked down.
If you choose happy facade, give Influence to three teammates.
If you choose locked down, give Influence to one teammate.

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 27, 2016

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Chimera, the Transformed

quote:

Who were you before?

Does it really matter? It's not like I'm ever going back to that life. Why dwell on the past when you can't do anything about it?

If you really have to know, I was Nizhoni Johnson. Had family, friends, all that crap. Then this happened.

quote:

When did you change? What caused it?

I was out one day, and then I black out and wake up in a lab. Turns out Royal Medical Institutes needed some test subjects and they weren't concerned about things like legality or consent or maybe not hiring people who kidnap kids the government won't really look too hard into finding. Then they experimented on me - trying to make it so that a person's DNA would be very alterable or something like that. I don't know, I'm not a scientist. Anyway, they didn't plan for me having actual control over it. Sort of. Enough control to be useful I guess. Anyway, man it did ever surprise them when I just busted out my cell and started wrecking the place up. A bunch of superheroes showed up and started attacking me (of course) but one of them, a weird guy who goes by Shape Jape, seemed to realize something else was going on and actually bothered to get my side of the story. Don't think any of the rest of them apologized afterwards, but whatever.

quote:

Who, outside of the team, is helping you understand your new body?

Doctor Nisha Bachchan is working with several of the people who were experimented on by Royal Medical Institutes. Not all of them are lucky enough to like me, so you know things are really bad. She says I seem to be doing the best out of everyone, and when I started doing work as a superhero just asked that I tell her if anything unusual happened to me while I'm out there. She's pretty cool, she actually does want to help us all. Kind of feel bad that she might not be able to.

quote:

Why don’t you just try to hide yourself away?

Yeah so like what else am I going to do, just sit inside all day and feel sorry for myself? Might as well do something with these powers, and I put Royal Medical Institutes in the grave by attracting the attention of superheros when I broke free. Don't really have revenge as something viable anymore. And it's not like they were the only people who would do this kind of thing.

quote:

Why do you care about the team?

Because they're weird and unusual. Like me, even if they don't get a lot of flak from the public about how they look. And it's nice to be able to hang out with people like me.

quote:

Look: Woman, Indigenous, Human eyes, Untouchable flesh, No costume

Abilities:

You appear obviously and clearly monstrous, and your powers are tied to your appearance. Choose two, and describe how they make you grotesque.

Inhuman might (body part changes into something clearly monsterous - giant claws, huge teeth, inhuman arm, etc.)
Transmuting flesh (flesh constantly shifting and changing, can control it but can't stop it or appear normal)
Impenetrable armor (skin instantly changes to block whatever touches it)
Superhuman senses (body part changes into something suitable - cat eyes, bat ears, dog nose, etc.)

Labels:

Freak +3
Danger +2
Savior +0
Superior -1
Mundane -1

Moves

Unstoppable: When you smash your way through scenery to get to or away from something, roll + Danger. On a hit, the world breaks before you, and you get what you want. On a 7-9, choose one: mark a condition, leave something behind, or take something with you. On a miss, you smash through, but leave devastation in your wake or wind up somewhere worse, GM’s choice.

Coming for you: When you mark a condition, take +1 forward against the person you most blame for causing it.

Be the monster: When you frighten, intimidate, or cow others with your monstrous form, roll +Freak. On a hit, they are thrown off and make themselves vulnerable to you, or they flee. On a 10+, choose one. On a 7-9, choose two.
- you frighten others you had not intended to scare
- you hurt someone or break something you shouldn’t have
- you feel like more of a monster afterward; mark a condition (GM’s choice)
On a miss, they react with violence, hatred, and paranoia, and you suffer the brunt of it.

Moment of Truth
It’s so easy to forget that you’re not your body, and you’re not the voice in your head—you’re both. Be the monster, and save them anyway. Smash down walls, and speak softly. Because when you embrace it, you can do anything. Of course, putting on a display like this is sure to rile up those who see only the monster when they look at you…

Team Moves

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, clear one condition if they treat you like a perfectly normal person and mark potential if they praise your power or abilities.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them if they think you’re losing or gaining humanity. If they say losing, mark a condition and mark potential. If they say gaining, clear a condition and shift Mundane up and any other Label down.

Advances

Mutate further and reveal another two new abilities (chosen from any playbook) [Impenetrable armor and superhuman senses]

quote:

Which hero sponsored you for this team and what did you do to get their attention?

Shape Jape, that hero who actually paid attention when I was breaking out of the labs. Guess he's been keeping an eye on me - he came up to recently and said "Chimera, it's no good being a grumpy loner! You need to get out and hang with some other kids! I signed you up to join with the Moonlight Vigil! Oops, I slipped on a banana peel!" Then he fell down with a crash. I think he does that thing where he looks and acts all weird and dumb but he's actually smart and full of wisdom if you listen. I mean, he was kind of right - it'd be nice to do this with other supers instead of just by myself. Although I don't think I'm that grumpy.

quote:

Mostly getting my name out there. I mean, it's not always positive but I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty much known as a hero. The biggest thing I'm dealing with right now is Technomaster. He's some weird cyberpunk themed jerk, and he's been hiring himself out to various super villains. Probably to get more money for all his stupid toys. I ran into him and even though he got away I pretty much humiliated him during the fight. Guess he wasn't expecting someone who could change on a whim. Ever since then, he seems to have it in for me personally. It'd be worse if he was any good at fighting, but once you get past his gadgets he's actually kind of embarrassingly easy to fight. He's really good at running away though I guess.

quote:

Chimera leaps into a fray of enemies, growing multiple tentacle arms and grabbing a bunch of them. Shots bounce off her suddenly stone-hard skin. A couple of quick scenes in which she changes various parts of herself, and then a shot of her silently in the background while the team is talking to various people after a successful mission.

Heliotrope fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Nov 22, 2016

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I'm thinking Beacon.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Kyoko Amari
The Doomed

Have you ever wondered what the future looks like? Have you ever wondered who you're going to grow up into, who you'll be? If you'll be a good person, if you'll get over your flaws, if you'll get the job you want, have to settle, or find out you like something else entirely? I don't. I know all too well the answers to all those things. I know who Kyoko Amari was supposed to grow up into.

In the year 2026, the supervillain Kyoko Amari used her powers to unleash a reign of terror like no other. A vile creature without remorse, With the power to alter memories, alter minds, and unleash psychic destruction upon the world, Kyoko Amori defeated four of the greatest heroes of the land. Heart tainted by cruel impulse, pride beyond pride, and the addictive rush of her powers, she couldn't have stopped if she wanted to. She kept searching for power, for strength, and this search lead her to dark places- within her heart, within the land. But eventually, it lead her to somewhere greater- something that she would never quite be able to fully comprehend, something beyond all of us.

It lead her to the grove of time.

The Grove Of Time
This place was not created. It does not exist in space, nor in time. The paths to it are infinite and impossible to find. It simply exists- beyond everything. A nexus for the passage of time ,for the functioning of the universe. A font of power, and one desired by many, foretold of in ancient and modern stories alike.

Kyoko Amari reached the Grove of Time, and as she reached to access it's power, having studied many texts and many stories to divine it's functioning, she was interrupted by the hero Firebrand. Firebrand's assault upon Kyoko Amari interrupted the ritual, and though Firebrand died in the attempt, Kyoko Amari was flung back into time, shattering into two halves. One with all her memories, and all her anger, all her wretched hate and horrid desires. And then there's me. I remember bits and pieces, but only of my own personal story- I couldn't tell you of the future, not without tapping into the strengths that I have been granted. I am her other half. Her 'good self', for whatever that's worth. A good half and a quarter'll buy you a gumball. For all that I'm supposed to be... a better her, my other half's mind crawls over mine- her powers slowly enveloping me, and driving me closer to her, more like her. And in the end, I will become her too, and we will fuse into one, and our reign of terror will begin- years earlier than it should have in the first place.

The Other Kyoko Amari- don't ask why we look different, neither of us look like our... progenitor, either.

Firebrand, in the modern day
I'm outmatched- she's stronger, more powerful, and remembers more than me. But I have a team, and one more thing she doesn't.

The Grove of Time work at my command. I am the only one who can open passageways to and from it- at least, intentional passages. There are others, that linger and flicker at moments of history, moments of time, but I can access it from any door- and it grants me the blessing of it's power, at least a fraction.

So here I am. Trying to be better. Trying to be a hero, to make up for the fact that one day I won't be. Hoping, praying that if I fight the other me, I'll be able to stop the future. Before you ask- no, the original Kyoko Amari is nowhere to be found. I suppose we overwrote her when we arrived.

I don't need money. The Grove of Time provides. In one of it's many caches of things from times that once were, or will be, or never will be again, it has money. It's no fortune, but it's enough to get by, and every once in a while it comes back. That's... where I live, now. I can get to it from anywhere, so it's just easier. It only brings me to this time, though- why? I don't know. Occasionally I catch flickers of myself walking through it, from the past, or the future. It is a strange place. I don't need to go to school- that, luckily, I remember. The league helped me obtain... something of a legal identity, at least.

So I just... be, as best as I can.

If you want to know more about my relationship with the League... Well, they took me in, to an extent. Can't leave a potential supervillain on the streets, and all that. They helped me with an ID, they helped me find... at least something of a path. It was almost to where I wouldn't even have gotten that- to where, stranded in this new era, with nothing but time and suffering, I would have been left to rot. ... that didn't happen. Instead, The Blue Queen found me.

The Blue Queen
She's... well, a witch, who commands many servants- mostly animate chess pieces. They don't really.. .talk, or think, or anything, they're basically just these weird rocks with swords and things. More importantly, she's someone who cares about people. ... She saw me as a project. Something she could take in and make better. I suppose in a sense that was true. She let me into her home (Not that I need a home- I have the Grove. I need nowhere else.), she taught me the ways of this past, and helped me find purchase within the league ,for I wanted to do something better- if I sat idly, I would never have any CHANCE to resist the call of the other Kyoko Amari. But with the league, with the ability to become a hero... I can strive to do better, to find my own footing.

Since she's taken me in, I've been... out on the streets. She was never much of a hands on type- she never wanted a protege, just a Project. I was mostly left to my own devices- given leads, places to go, things I could stop. I've fought villains on the streets, of course- I try not to go for... those who need. I do not fight petty thieves. I do not cast out those who strive for a better life. She would want me to victimize the weak. No, those who hurt for pleasure, those who aim to cause others suffering, those who, in the name of a good cause, wish to poison the masses- those people are who... I am tempted to hurt. I have fought many times. Well, six. Each a different villain.

I fought the other me once. I was unable to defeat her. I was beaten, and battered, and I know that I could have won- I could have cast forth the waves of my power, of Her power, of the Grove- everything, and drowned her in it, ended her simply... but I could not risk it. I could not risk that destruction, that terror, that weakness against her. It is my virtue and my shame. So I ran.

Blue Witch seems to be tiring of me- pushing me towards this team, this junior team of the league. It is... an amenable solution. People who can deal with me if the time comes. People to support my efforts, so that I can accomplish more. People to help me protect and strive for that brighter future.

I don't know what I can do to fight in this broken and hurting world- I, as a broken person, always called by temptation. I've wondered if it would be easier to just... not be. To walk off and find a place where I can stop. But... I do not want to do that. I want to fight. I want to create. I want to become something better.

Something better than Kyoko Amari.

quote:

Hero Name:
Clockwork
Powers: Supernatural Strength and Speed (A... side effect of my passage through time), Memory Manipulation, Psychic Constructs
Look: Female, Asian, Dressy Clothes, Dressy costume, empty eyes

Labels:
Freak 2
Danger 1
Savior 1
Superior -1
Mundane -0

Doom
You’re doomed. Your powers may be killing you, or maybe you’re hunted ruthlessly, or maybe you embody an apocalypse. But one way or another, your future is grim.What brings your doom closer? Choose two.
❑ injuring innocents
❑ facing danger alone

Doomsigns
These are abilities that come to you with your approaching doom. Once you have taken all five doomsigns above the line, you must take “Your doom arrives” the next time your doom track fills.
Choose one doomsign you already hold at character creation.
❑ Dark Visions: Mark your doom track to have a vision about the situation at hand. After the vision, ask the GM a question; they will answer it honestly.

Sanctuary
You have a place where you can rest, recover, and reflect upon your powers. Choose and underline three features of your sanctuary:
Relics from throughout time
a meditation space
art, music, and food.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

White Cat the Delinquent

I'll be with you in just a second. Ooh a big scary firewall. Oh wait nevermind it's six weeks out of date get with the times grandpa. And there right every computer in the Motherland Hero Institute should be playing the national anthem. Ours of course not whatever the ruskies have. Shouldn't have called me an overrated has-been should you comrade?

Sorry about that just a bit of business to take care of Now what can I do for you? Questions sure. I like talking about my favourite subject me of course.

quote:

How did you get your powers?

Who knows? I've just always been like this. The eggheads call me a technoempath but I think that's just their bullshit desire to label everything. As for why well I've heard every theory under the sun. I won the genetic lottery maybe. Or mom dropped too much LSD when she was pregnant with me. I sat too close the TV. Or there's my favourite one I'm actually an alien in disguise infiltrating earth to destroy it. Yeah lets go with that one it sound pretty cool

quote:

What do you do for fun?

I build things and I hack things. I was dismantling and putting back together my Mom's TV when I was six. By eight I'd hacked into NASA's classified files about the Martian invasion of '76. By age 12 I was giving the NSA fits when I stole their secret recipe for coffee. And of course my latest little joke that landed me here. I rang up Barry at midnight and started reading his own nuclear launch codes to him. I thought he was supposed to have a sense of humour but no some people can't take a joke can they. Before too long it was black helicopter and orange jumpsuit time. Of course they let me go in the end after I promised to be a good little girl and behave myself in future.

Of course when no one was looking I helped myself to an interesting little schematic that DARPA got from some friendly alien for a man portable teleporting device. Took a little work to get it working reliably what with those miniature fusion reactors and all. But hey I'm drat good at what I do.

quote:

Who, outside the team, thinks better of you than you do?

Hey I don't know what you're implying. I hack for the fun of it. No one gets hurt. It's not like I'm stealing peoples credit card numbers or outing closeted gays or anything. Sure some people don't like me waltzing through their secure databases but it's not my fault they can't do their jobs properly is it? And it's not like I was selling that information to the Russians or the Martians or anything either. At least that's what Vulcan said when he stood up for me. He's the one that handles tech security for the Super League so he's probably the closest to being on my level.

quote:

Why do you try to be a hero?

Because I'm on probation. One wrong move and I end up in the kind of prison where you don't get a lawyer because no one tells your shyster the prison exists. Well and it's kind of the right thing to do I suppose

quote:

Care about those losers? Hah whatever gave you the idea I care about them. When it comes down to it and your backs against the wall the only person you can trust is yourself. Still some of them might be salvageable once I remove the giant stick up their asses. I would feel kind of bad though if they got hurt because I screwed up though

quote:

Vulcan yeah the tech guy with the big fancy armoured suit. He's actually pretty cool even if he is a giant nerd. I mean who names themselves after some musty old god that only nerds would bother to know about? Still as for getting his attention well I kinda hacked his personal network. Now that was a real challenge. Dude has some of the best computer security I've ever seen and I'm sure he has some sort of adaptive AI working security for him. I musta burned something like half a dozen laptops before I finally got through. Turns out for all that security he didn't have much that was interesting a few prototype weapons, some notes of how to take down his fellow superheroes should he need to that sort of jazz. Boring. Still he managed to trace the hack back to me and here I am. He said he wants me where he can see me and where I can put my talents to good use.

quote:

Oh you heard about my ongoing battle with Mr Bionica. I'm not calling him a doctor, did you know his degree only came from one of those online diploma mills? No it's totally true. He's not even a real doctor. Anyway I found evidence that he was building an army of robots to do whatever it is supervillains do when they're bored. Probably conquer the world or rob a bank or whatever or get revenge on someone who wronged them. Truth is I tended to tune out after about the first thirty seconds. He was working through cutouts and false front companies. I tracked him through his account transactons. Wasn't that hard really banks have some of the lamest security. Turns out he had them stashed in a warehouse on the edge of town. So I went in and dismantled them. It was a rubbish design anyway, who the heck goes for the terminator look these days? I mean come on dude the 80s were over before I was even born get with the times man. But there was no sign of the good Mr Bionica anywhere. So looks like he gets a chance to do the same thing again. Oh well I guess I'll just dismantle the next lot he makes.

quote:

quote:

Name: White Cat
Playbook: Delinquent
Secret Identity: Catherine Lovelace
Look: Woman, White, Laughing eyes, Rebellious clothing, Skimpy costume.
Abilities: Gadgets and Hacking, Teleportation

Moves:

Criminal mind

When you assess the situation,
you can always ask one of the following
questions, even on a miss:
- what here is useful or valuable to me?
- how could I best infuriate or provoke
_______?
- what’s the best way in/way past?

Mary Contrary:

When someone tries to pierce
your mask, comfort or support you, or provoke
you, you can interfere. Roll + Superior. On a hit,
they take a -2 on their roll. On a 10+, you also
take Influence over them or clear a condition.
On a miss, they get a 10+ no matter what they
rolled and you mark a condition of their choice

don’t care what you think!:

Whenever you reject others’ Influence, add +2 to your roll

Team Moves:

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if they think you’re cool. If
they say yes, give them Influence and take Influence over them. If they say no, mark a condition or
spurn them immediately. If they’re a teammate, then either way, add a Team to the pool.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, give them Influence over you, and
ask them who they’d like you to be. Mark potential if you show them that person. If they’re a
teammate, add a Team to the pool no matter what

Stats:

Freak: +1
Danger: 0
Savior: -1
Superior: +2
Mundane: +1

Relationships

You keep trying to impress _________________ with your antics.
You and ________________ pulled an awesome (if illegal) stunt together

Influence
You care way more than you let on. Give three teammates Influence over you.

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Nov 23, 2016

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

(image source)

Black Hole Son, the Beacon

How did you gain your skills?

That's... hoo boy, that's a really long story.

First things first: my folks are both in the Super League. My mom's Singularity, the physicist and inventor -- she does a lot of work for Halcyon City out of costume, too. My dad's... well, my dad's Event Horizon. The Voice of the Void? All about the gravity and vacuum? Scarier than a lot of the villains he fights? Yeah, that Event Horizon.

Nobody knew where my dad got his powers from, back when he and Mom got together, but it turns out he's a mutant -- and he passed on his gravity powers to me. I was just a baby when they manifested for the first time, and of course, I couldn't control them. I don't really remember it that well, but it was bad enough that my mom had to build the Isolation Suite to keep me safe. Everything padded for when I warped gravity and sent myself flying, magnet shoes once I started walking to keep me from floating away when my local gravity changed, not much I could touch or hold so I wouldn't crush it or fling it accidentally... and not a lot of people, either, unless you count video chat and the couple of folks who could handle my powers. That's how I grew up.

My dad was one of the people who could be around me safely, so he mostly raised me, while Mom kept in contact on video chat and worked on a power limiter for me. Dad kind of took charge of my homeschooling, and he was big on physical training to help me control my body. He taught me karate and gymnastics to work on coordination and control, and when I was alone -- when Dad had to go out, and my friends weren't online to play games or chat -- I did a lot of practice. It felt nice to do something active that I thought might help myself, even if my powers weren't getting any easier to control.

Last year, Mom and her team finally figured out a power limiter for me, something with... cosmic rays, or something? I'm not really a science guy... anyway, it was supposed to limit my gravity powers to a level that I could learn to control. It worked -- but it worked too well, I guess? After I came out of the Ray Chamber, I didn't have any powers. It was just... all gone.

What wasn't gone, though, was all the training I'd done and all the muscle I'd built up. It turns out that always having to work against your own weight and shifting gravity is an amazing workout, and it doesn't hurt that now everything's easier to do. It's like I just took off the biggest set of training weights in the world, and now I can do stuff I never thought I could. It's awesome.

When did you first put on your costume?

It was just a few months ago, almost a year after I got cosmic-ray-treated and got to leave the Isolation Suite. Most if that year I just spent living, you know? For the first time in my life, I was able to just go outside. Just go out and walk around! I met up with my online friends and started hanging out with a few of them -- in person, even. I started school, and I finally learned how to ride a bike for real. Yeah, I know, learning to ride a bike at 15, but it wasn't like I'd ever had the chance before. It was just... I can't even explain it to most people, but it was so great.

It's still pretty great, but a few months ago, I started thinking about doing something more. Maybe I didn't have a superpower anymore, but I'm fast, I'm strong, and I'm not stupid, so why not give it a shot? I ran it past Mom and Dad, and Mom said it was a great idea. Dad... well, that's kind of complicated, but... yeah.

Mom got me the costume a few days later, just basic black and silver. She said I could pick better colors later, but I don't mind it the way it is. Maybe navy blue instead of black? I kind of need black in the costume, though, since I'm Black Hole Son and all... but that name doesn't fit as well as it did when I thought I was gonna have gravity powers, so... I dunno. I'm still thinking about it.

Yeah, I know. But it's fun to think about, okay?

Who, outside of the team, thinks you shouldn’t be a superhero?

... It's my dad. Big surprise, right?

After I talked to my folks about it, Dad took me aside and told me I should reconsider, that I'd "gotten my life back" and it wasn't right to throw it all away. "You can do anything you want now, Rashad. Why would you want this?" He started talk to me about when he got his powers, how it changed everything, how he wanted to be a doctor before he was "called"... I guess I never realized before that he wasn't happy being in the Super League. It was kind of heavy.

He talked to Mom about it, I guessed, and he's not stopping me, but -- I know he's still not happy. I hope I can make him understand.

Why do you try to be a hero?

Well, part of it is... when I was in the Isolation Suite, I thought it was about the only thing I was ever going to be able to do, if I was ever able to do anything. I figured my options were getting my powers under control enough to be a hero, or -- I don't know, just live in the Suite forever? I never thought past that. My point was, it seemed like the only future I had.

Now, though, even though I've got more options, it turns out it's something I want to do, not just something I talked myself into. I just kept coming back to it, and I realized that I like helping people, I like living as hard as I can, and I like the Super League. Maybe I would have thought again if I hadn't gotten League sponsorship, but now that I do, why not give it a shot?

First of all, they're all awesome people. Second... they get this, you know? I'm normal now, but not quite normal normal -- "not gonna accidentally float away because I turned my gravity off" normal, but not "grew up in the suburbs with a kid brother and a dog" normal. It's cool to be that kind of normal, but it's also cool to have friends who know how it is and know what it's like to be in the super business.

Plus, when I want to go do some parkour, it's nice to have people in good enough shape to keep up with me, you know?

Technically, Mom or Dad could have sponsored me, but instead Monolith gave me a shot. He's an old friend of my mom's and a Super League researcher -- on top of being able to turn his body into animate stone and back. He did a lot of the work on the cosmic ray treatment that made me normal, and Mom introduced us after I came out of the Isolation Suite. I've been helping him with a little field work on the side, but he says I've got a lot of potential and I ought to have a proper team behind me. Having someone on my side in the League who's not my mom is pretty cool.

Mostly doing patrols, doing some of that field work for Monolith on the side, and getting a feel for the city. I made my first bust, though! Nothing big, just some guys shaking down a couple in the Liberty Park Butterfly Garden for money and phones and stuff, but I looked into it, and it turned out there were just a ton of muggings in the Butterfly Garden. That's really weird because it's an enclosed building, you know? With metal detectors at the door? So I spent a few days casing the place, and I figured it out -- one of the security guys had a deal with a gang from over in the Industrial Park, letting them in with weapons on them in exchange for a cut of their mugging profits. How screwed up is that? At a butterfly garden, too! Who even thinks that's a place they should mug people?

Anyway, I couldn't get the whole gang, but at least the Butterfly Garden's safer now. That was a pretty good feeling.

A long shot of a city rooftop somewhere in the Industrial District, zooming in on Black Hole Son's back, crouched in observation -- and then circling to show him beaming, obviously having the time of his life. Shadows fall over him as someone approaches behind, and he leaps to his feet to face the thugs on his trail. A low sweep to the legs sends the frontmost thug sprawling into his companions, and Black Hole Son turns to leap across onto another rooftop, still grinning.

quote:

Hero Name: Black Hole Son

Look: Man, Middle Eastern, smiling face, casual clothing, iconic costume
Abilities: Acrobatics, martial arts

Labels
Freak 0
Danger -1
Savior +2
Superior 0
Mundane +2

Moves

No Powers and Not Nearly Enough Training
You're always picking up new gear to keep yourself in the game. Whenever you pick up a new piece of gear, you can write it in as a new ability if the next line is empty:

The first time you use each piece of gear to directly engage a threat, unleash your powers, or defend someone, you can roll + Mundane instead of the normal Label.

Won't Let You Down
When you help a teammate, you can spend 2 out of the Team pool to add +2 to their roll.

Be Mindful of Your Surroundings (advance, from Protege)
When you assess the situation before entering into a fight, you may ask one additional question, even on a miss.

Drives
Choose four drives to mark at the start of play. When you fulfill a marked drive, strike it out, and choose one: mark potential, clear a condition, take Influence over someone involved. When your four marked drives are all struck out, choose and mark four new drives. When all drives are struck out, change playbooks, retire from the life, or become a paragon of the city.

Starting Drives:
[ ] Pull off a ridiculous stunt
[ ] Kiss someone dangerous
[ ] Help a teammate when they most need you
[ ] Get drunk or high with a teammate

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, tell them how they’re awesome and add a Team to the pool. If they tell you how you’re awesome in return, add another Team to the pool. When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them to confirm or deny that you should be here. If they confirm it, mark potential and give them Influence over you. If they deny it, mark Angry and shift one Label up and one Label down, your choice.

Relationships
____________________ is awesome, and you take every chance you get to hang out with them.
You’ve got to prove yourself to_____________________ before you feel like a real hero.

Influence
You are so excited to be here. Give Influence over you to three of your teammates.

Antivehicular fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Nov 23, 2016

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Clockwork, the Doomed, who else in the League knows what you might turn turn into? What non-lethal way do they want to prevent you from becoming joined with your other half?
What's something you remember that's going to happen soon that you want to prevent?
So, what's your plan on stopping your doom? Or do you think it can be stopped?

Chimera, the Transformed, what's the last thing of Technomaster's that you broke? Why did you keep it?
Which of the other guinea pigs do you keep in touch with, if only via letter/email/etc. What have they let slip that makes you think they're pretty bad off, even for the people that came out of those experiments?
What's it feel like when your body changes to suit your latest need? Does it change back to... uh... "normal" on its own, or is it stuck like that until you will it to change to something else?

Starseeker, the Outsider, What parting gift did your father's give you before you left for Earth?
Which of your family has caused trouble for you on Earth due to their disapproval of your choice to become an Earth hero?
While you've been working, has anyone made the connection between your hero identity and your Earth identity? If not, what lengths have you had to go to in order to keep them separate?
Also, tell me more about Strike. What are her powers, what's she famous for, etc.

Mithril, the Protege, So... what do you do with Roxy to unwind from your training?
When's the last time you screwed up? How did Damascus express his disappointment?
What do you need to work on the most before you'll be Damascus' peer?

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Capfalcon posted:

Starseeker, the Outsider, What parting gift did your father's give you before you left for Earth?

My father's have left one of their pets, Mimi, in my care. Here, let me introduce you to him!

Is he not the cutest!? Your people do not seem to like being around him, and I do not know why! He is a friendly creature, and very affectionate, too! He loves giving and receiving hugs, and if he licks you, that is a sign that he likes you! Who's a good boy? Yes you are! Yes you are!

Aside from being as cute as a very cute button clothing, he also is very helpful! I do not fully understand the specifics, but according to Papa, Mimi's stomach is it's own pocket dimension, able to store and preserve objects of all shapes and sizes, and it can be used to transport items as well! My father's have another one like him on their caravan, and they use them to send me items they think might help between them.

My father's have also given me Solarian Communication Gem, which I wear around my neck. It is how I keep in touch with them, and the rest of my family. It... helps. I suffer from the sickness of being away from home sometimes, but this helps alleviate some of that pain.

quote:

Which of your family has caused trouble for you on Earth due to their disapproval of your choice to become an Earth hero?

Urg. I had not wanted to discuss this topic, but if I must...

Aunt Catarina is a woman of tradition. She believes that following tradition and respecting our family values is more important than anything else in the stars, and to her, my leaving was seen... as an act of betrayal. You may see it as harsh, but you must understand, my family has lived with these traditions for generations, and rarely has any ever broken them. I was the first. In her eyes, I had thrown away my family for a a simple flight of fancy, and if she had her way, she would have me exiled for my transgressions.

Since she does not have the power to punish me, she has instead sent her own daughter to Earth, instructing her to keep close watch on me, and document all my failures, so she may show others in my family how worthless I am to them.

Kalista is her daughter, and unlike her mother, she does not care about tradition as much. She is a maker of trouble. Kalista has come to Earth, agreeing to her mother's terms, but has no actual interest in keeping a constant eye on me. She is a lover of tricks, pranks, and chaos, and will often get in my way just so she can have a few laughs. Whenever she shows up, that would only mean the situation will become worse.

quote:

While you've been working, has anyone made the connection between your hero identity and your Earth identity? If not, what lengths have you had to go to in order to keep them separate?

...Ah, yes. Keeping myself "incongito" (Is that how you pronounce it?) is... tricky. Hiding the horns is no problem, that's what hats are for! But hiding my tail, yes, that is an issue. Do you know how uncomfortable it is to bind your tail all day? It is not a pleasant experience! I must stretch it out a few times a day if I want to avoid cramps!

I do my stretches in the storage room. Not many workers go there, and most prefer to take their supposed "smoke break" in the alleyway behind the restaurant. I am usually alone there. Usually. I did not count on Joshua to be there.

Joshua is a sweet boy, but he had been giving me these weird looks before the incident! One of the other co-workers, Stacy, explained that he had crushed on me. The idea of "being crushed" was... confusing, until Stacy told me what it meant. The boy fancied me! I was flattered, and he is cute, yes, but I have no real interest in him back, so I did not pay it much mind. Not until I spotted him peeking at me from behind one of the shelves. He had seen me with my tails and horns out.

It did not take him long to add it all together. "You're the hero, Starseeker!" I had to explain to him, very carefully, that I am trying to keep my identity here a secret, and would prefer for him to not tell anybody else. Thankfully, he agreed to keep it a secret... on the grounds that I take him with me on one of my missions. I still haven't. It is dangerous, and he is but a normal human with no powers, but by the stars, the boy will not give up! His heart is in the right place, and he has not told anybody yet, but he will not stop begging me to take him with me! Is this how Baba felt when I pleaded with him to stay on Earth!?

quote:

Also, tell me more about Strike. What are her powers, what's she famous for, etc.

Oh! How rude of me! I have forgotten to talk about my own caretaker! How thoughtless of me!

Strike, or Castile Ironside, is a, uh, I think she called herself a monster hunter? A person who deals with the mystical and the supernatural, I think it was? Yes, that is probably right. My father's met her, a long time ago, on one of their trips on earth. I do not know the details, but apparently they all somehow became entangled in an event they would rather not say, and it involved these things called vampires, the dead, and a giant, patchwork bear? I am not told much about the event. Baba and Papa don't like talking about it, and neither does Strike.

So, why am I training under one who deals with supernatural beings? Well, for one, she does not always deal with monsters! Unless you count supervillains and criminals as monsters, I suppose. Second, It is because she is an exceptional fighter, who exemplifies what it means to be a hero! With the exception of her magic golden gun, which can fire a variety of elemental bullets, she has no real powers to speak of. You might think this would mean she is a weak hero, but it does not! She makes up for her lack of strength by being a genius strategist, often out-smarting her opponents, and using their own weaknesses against them. She is methodical with her methods, but she will not hesitate to jump in when she sees a civilian in danger. Baba thought it would benefit me more to learn from someone who uses their own weaknesses into a strength.

Strike is a bit on the rough side, and her training can be... harsh, and she can be very blunt at times, but I am still happy to have her as my mentor! She is also the only one I have ever seen who could outdrink Baba!

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Nov 23, 2016

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

I might as well try to get back into the "play-by-post" thing. Going with a Nova; here's what I have so far:

Bravura

Not sure who drew this picture of me, but I like it. My hair's not visible in the real thing, though, but I guess that's what they call artistic license.
(actual image source)

quote:

When did you first use your powers?
Right around the time I got them, actually. Some messed-up cult whose name I can't even remember anymore had kidnapped me. As in, they snatched me off the street as I was walking home from school. They had me tied up in some underground cavern and were planning to use me as a ritual sacrifice so that some demon-god or whatever could use my corpse as its vessel.

Obviously, that's not what happened in the end, but it came pretty drat close. The Shining Sentinel managed to bust in at the last second, and she hit the cultist leading the ritual with some sort of magic whammy just as the dagger pierced my chest. It corrupted the ritual somehow, twisted it into a shape that neither side intended. Something got summoned up, alright...just not what the cultists intended. Frankly, I don't know how to describe it. I don't know if it even can be described. It was a...well, presence, I guess you could call it. Or Presence, with the capital P. It had no interest in the cultists, or the Shining Sentinel. For some reason, the only thing that the Presence had any interest in was me. And I felt the Presence as it became a part of me. Or at least as close to being a part of me as it could be.

You wanted to know the first time I used my powers? It was when I climbed up off the altar, turned to face the cultists, and tore them apart from the inside.

quote:

Who was the first person you accidentally hurt with your powers?
I guess the cultists don't count, seeing as how it wasn't accidental. I don't mean the "torn apart from inside", mind you, that certainly wasn't my intent. I would have been fine with just being able to kick each of them, hard, in the crotch. But I had no idea how to control the Presence right then. No, the first person I accidentally hurt was another kid at school.

His name was Eric Brumback. He was a jackass and a bully, and hardly anyone at school liked him. But he was clever enough to stay under the teachers' radar, so there wasn't much anyone could do. I'd been dealing with the Presence for about two weeks, trying to keep it under control, letting off some steam with it where nobody could get hurt. But when Eric did his whole 'give me money and I won't beat the crap out of you' routine, I couldn't keep my frustration controlled.

The good news is that I didn't do to him what I did to the cultists. The bad news is that I broke both his legs and several of his ribs, gave him a concussion, and ruined an entire wall of lockers in the process.

At least the concussion kept him from remembering how it had happened, or that it was me who did it.

quote:

Who, outside the team, helps you control your powers?
Well, after that incident with Eric, I went and tried to track down the Shining Sentinel. It was easier than I expected; apparently, what I did in school that day set off some sort of heavy-duty mystic signal flare equivalent. Being the go-to figure on magical stuff for a good chunk of Halcyon City, she'd been working to find the source even before I decided to try to get a hold of her.

The Sentinel was willing to take the time to help me understand what the Presence was, or at least come as close to it as either of us could. It's not something native to this reality, or even this...I believe the term she used was "hyperverse". It's something so far outside of our comprehension that the words needed to properly describe its true nature don't exist in any human language. But she helped me understand some important things about the Presence, and about how to control the power that it gave me.

I still talk to her at times. I'm not trying to become her sidekick or apprentice or anything, but still...it helps. And let's face it, the 'superhero psychiatrist' field is not a very large one. Which seems kind of weird when you actually stop to think about it.

quote:

Why do you continue to use your powers?
That's actually one of the tricks the Sentinel helped me figure out. The Presence doesn't care about morality, at least as humans understand it. It has no concept of right and wrong, good and evil. It is power...power that demands to be used. And finding an old empty field and blowing up dirt clearly wasn't going to be enough.

Basically, the easiest way for me to not lose control, or at least to lose control far less often, is to push my powers to their limit. And I'd rather do that as a superhero than a supervillain. If nothing else, the superhero biz is a lot more fun than jail time.

quote:

Honestly, I scare myself sometimes, with the kind of power I've got going. Whatever the Presence is, it's not even close to human. Or any sentient species in this universe. We really need a better term for that. Anyway, being around people who are that term, and who know what it's like to have powers and all associated baggage thereof, really seems to help.

quote:

Once the Shining Sentinel realized that I was serious about my whole 'try to be a hero' thing, she said that she'd put out some feelers and find a team that'd be able to help me out with both the 'keep the Presence under control' part and the 'do so in a way that doesn't end with A.E.G.I.S. demanding your head on a spike' part. I'm willing to trust her judgement on this one. I mean, doing so has gotten me this far.

quote:

A few things here and there. Biggest one was foiling a museum heist by Lord Dread. You know who he is, right? Fear powers, dresses like an overgrown goth who's trying way too hard? He tried to steal that one touring exhibition of holy relics last week, I showed up in time to shut him down. Managed to do so without any collateral damage, even. Guess that was what made the Shining Sentinel willing to risk finding a team for me.

quote:

Three short scenes in a row: a burst of cosmic energy tearing though a swarm of murderbots, a chat with another team member, and a classic "superhero pose" shot surrounded by the animated equivalent of a Kirby Krackle.

code:
Name: Bravura
Playbook: The Nova
Secret Identity: Bradley Balmer
Look: Man, white, normal skin, casual clothing, colorful costume
Abilities: Cosmic energies

Burn:
Reality storm: You channel a destructive burst
with your powers. Spend 1 burn to directly
engage a threat using your powers, rolling +
Freak instead of + Danger. If you do, you will
cause unwanted collateral damage unless you
spend another burn.

Shielding: You call up a fast protective field to
stop a danger. Spend 1 burn to defend someone
else from an immediate threat, rolling + Freak
instead of + Savior.

Worship: You put out a tremendous display of
your might. Spend 1 burn to awe an audience
into silence, respect, and attention when you
unleash your powers.

Move: Spend 1 burn to move to any place you
choose within the scene, breaking through or
slipping past any barriers or restraints in your
way. Spend a second burn to move to any place
you’ve previously been.

Team Moves:
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them
if there is any fear in their eyes when they look at you. If
they say no, take +1 forward and mark potential. If they say
yes, immediately shift your Danger up and Savior down.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell
them how they could stop you, if it came down to it. Give them
Influence over you and clear a condition.

Labels:
Danger: 	+1
Freak:		+2
Savior:		 0
Superior:	 0
Mundane:	-1

Relationships:
You hang out all the time with __________________ to blow off steam.
You once hurt ________________ when you lost control of your powers.

Influence:
Happy facade: give Influence to three teammates.

Pikavangelist fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Nov 24, 2016

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Capfalcon posted:

Mithril, the Protege, So... what do you do with Roxy to unwind from your training?

Well, we first met when I was finally okayed to attend public school. It must have been Sixth Grade, I suppose. Wow, time flies. So, yeah, I was the awkward new kid that everyone (correctly) pegged as a former home-schooler. Not exactly the stuff that gets you into the established social frameworks. I wasn't too concerned. I mean, the sum total of my human contact for the past few years had been Damascus, my mom, and League-vetted therapists. But, uh, Roxy insisted that we start hanging out during that first day. I mean, Damascus doesn't really change his mind when he gets set on something, but this was next level stuff. She declared that we would be best friends. No options. I was a little reluctant, but it was kind of exciting. Hanging out with someone my own age? A civilian? That was new.

So I received permission to go to her house. I met her parents, we all ate dinner, and then Roxy and I ended up watching movies all night. I'm pretty sure Damascus was there. Watching for any problems. Probably on the rooftop. He likes rooftops. Not really sure what the deal with that is. Anyways, I had a blast. It was the most fun I could ever remember having. It was the start of my first real friendship. I have other friends now, too, but Roxy is still my best friend. We hit up a lot of movies when I get time off. They've started giving me a day off on the weekend every couple of weeks. It's been fun being able to actually participate in popular culture. There were so many missed opportunities for clever banter. Especially when we'd get one of those chatty villains. They've seemed to be thrown off their groove when I can come back and answer their quips with one of my own. Damascus doesn't really go for that. He's very much the strong silent type.

So, let's see. Other than movies, I've gone to a couple of those hero events with her. Meet and greets. It can be a little awkward on both sides if they recognize me. A lot of them don't really like that I'm so closely associated with the League. I mean, it's not like I've had a choice in the matter. Right?

quote:

When's the last time you screwed up? How did Damascus express his disappointment?

Okay, so, uh, this was last summer. It took a long time to rebuild the trust he had in me. He had me taking point on a bomb threat at a theater. Some low-brow nobody called Deadline had an ax to grind and thought that blowing up the cinemas on the opening weekend of the latest summer blockbuster (the incredibly aptly named 90 Minute Fight Scene) would prove his point -- whatever it was -- to society. Well, long story short he didn't. Thanks to Damascus and most certainly not me. It's... it wasn't my proudest moment. I messed up, almost got a lot of people killed, and it shouldn't have happened. I shouldn't have lost focus.

Here's how it went down. Like I said, I was on point. That means that we were networked. He was using his telepathic link to piggyback on my senses and I was using my telepathy to identify the location of civilians in the theater. We knew that there had been a threat called in, but we were the first to arrive. No intel on Deadline, hell, we didn't even know that he was responsible. So as I'm sweeping through the multiplex, I notice two things. First, Roxy is there. That shakes me. I want to get her to safety, of course, but my mission was to finish locating everyone first. I decided to hurry things along by lowering my psionic filters. I wanted to get maximum range for detection so I could finish this fast. That was when things get bad. I find Deadline and my filters are still down. When his mind touched mine, it was like I was drowning in all of his negativity and anger. The shock all but knocked me out. Damascus wasn't much better off. He was able to shut down the connection before it overwhelmed him. It took me a minute to clear my head and by that time Damascus had moved in. The civilians were cleared and he was in pursuit of Deadline. I got to work on the bombs, but I couldn't disarm all of them in time. Two of the screens got shredded and there was minor damage to a third. Nobody was injured, thank God, but it was a matter of luck.

When I connected to him to report on the bombs, I could feel his disappointment as clearly as I had felt Deadline's emotions. He never said anything. He didn't have to.

...I never did end up seeing 90 Minute Fight Scene.

quote:

What do you need to work on the most before you'll be Damascus' peer?

Damascus has unparalleled power. His mind brooks no hesitation, no obstacles. That conviction gives him strength. But me? I'm... I'm not as sure of myself. I mean, don't get me wrong, I think I have what it takes. I know I should be using these powers to help people. There are just times where we're out on patrol where we see a really big name. Someone like the Lord of Inferno, for example. While Damascus was ready to hop right on in, I wasn't. I was scared. I mean, that guy has a lot of power. Control of hellfire? A legion of flaming soldiers? That's way out of my league. So I hesitated. I started thinking of a way out. I wanted to keep myself safe. I'm not going to abandon people in need, in the end, but... It's hard sometimes.

After all these years of training, I'm not as different from that scared kid in the mall as I could be. As I should be. He doesn't really understand that, I guess, since he's so full of conviction. I've tried to talk to him about it before. He launches into this canned spiel about forging your mind into a shield, how nothing can stop you unless you permit it to, and all sorts of things of other things that sound really good but don't actually mean anything. I think he was just born with this mindset. I'm not sure it's something that he even understands.

So, yeah, I need to clear my mind of hesitation. If I can be as confident in myself as Damascus, then I could fight at his side as an equal. Not just a sidekick. I know I can be strong enough to live up to his example, but I don't always believe it.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Capfalcon posted:

Clockwork, the Doomed, who else in the League knows what you might turn turn into? What non-lethal way do they want to prevent you from becoming joined with your other half?

Third Eye Blind, the Oracle of Tomorrow
The league has seers, of course- people who can look into the future, people who can see places from far away- there's all sort of people with exceptional senses or exceptional powers. To me, Third Eye Blind is the most... vexing of all of them. Haughty, beautiful, and with a tongue like barbed wire, she's perhaps the best clairvoyant the league has. She claims, at least, to be able to see the rampages I've gone on in the future, the people I've subverted, the horrible destruction I've wrought. And indeed, not all of her claims are false. As one who can percieve time itself, she has... certain connections to it, conceptually. This would make her prime to take custody of the Grove Of Time- as I am the only caretaker now, and I cannot foresake it's power to nothing, she suggests that instead I give it to her. I could be free from this- the other me would have no REASON to try to convert me if I didn't have something she wanted.

And indeed, I know myself. While I know that given the oppourtunity, the other Me would rejoin us all the same, it would be easy enough to hide, flee, or just... go away, as long as I didn't have that power. I would become bored, listless, and have no reason to continue the chase against... myself. But I do not TRUST this woman. There is a glint in her eyes of danger- a glint of hunger, something that I see in the mirror every time I look, before repressing that image far down deep within me- that desire to have control, to have the world in the palm of my hand. For what reason she chases that power, chases that control, I do not know.

But, I refuse to give her any purchase towards obtaining it. Let her be a hero- she will do well, I assume. And in turn, I will protect what is mine from those who would misuse it.

quote:

What's something you remember that's going to happen soon that you want to prevent?
It's not so much a singular EVENT as a happening. The Mitsukawa Corporation is famous for being the tidiest, kindest corporation possible- they have a clean slate, they've never cheated, stolen, or abused their workforce- doing everything right, keeping in good with the public and investors alike. Soon they come out with some of the first mass market cybernetics- simple chips to integrate into your brain to add processing power, robotic arms to entirely replace a missing one, good as new, enhanced eyes, augmented reality beamed straight into your brain. Of course, no one suspected a thing- not from such an upstanding team of people, not one bit. The downfall wasn't open- users simply found themselves very brand loyal. Very happy. People went missing, showed up with new body parts, and swore up and down they planned the whole thing, that everything was alright. Mitsukawa found mass public appeal, and even then , seemed to be making an impossible amount of money. There was Mitsu brand everything- they made a lot of things before, but they rapidly expanded- usually badly- into all sorts of new fields, and those who used one product soon spread to others. Half the heroes in Halcyon had Mitsu-cybernetics. Then the bubble burst- a whole bunch of their documents were released into the public, showing their schemes- their plans to use their control over the city's heroes to stage a coup, evidence of their products corroding the minds of those who used them.

There was a series of battles- swift, and bloody, as they clung to their last chance of relevance, of power. The company went down, but not without taking down a lot of the heroes of the city with it, leaving it weaker and weaker for future generations of villains, of problems, of disasters. I, myself, took advantage of the turmoil to start my own reign of villainy- small, careful, before I too grew complacent and powerful alike. Of course, that me no longer exists- whatever happened with the split of myself in the future, the original me no longer EXISTS in this timeline. Still, I don't want to give her an advantage we took once before... unfortunately, it's very difficult for an unknown, a villain, to speak against Mitsu's public good will- no one believes me, not now, and most likely not ever. Still, it's something to try to fight.

quote:

So, what's your plan on stopping your doom? Or do you think it can be stopped?
I do not know if it can be stopped, no. I am honestly, rather fatalistic about this. I do not honestly believe that my better nature will win out, and my willpower to resist is not infinite. There is not enough time in the world for me to defeat her in a battle of wills- I will never have the sheer tenacity the other me has unless I give into that which drives her. I have no real hobbies- nothing to take pride in. She has her sadism and suffering and all the delightful things she can take joy in. I have no family in this world. She needs none. I have nothing tying me to this place- she will make this place Hers. She has infinitely more happiness and advantages than I eve will. And yet, I fight- I can see a few paths that might lead me to success.

I kill her- by default, this would grant me victory. I do not think it feasable, but perhaps it is possible after all. I do not know if I have the WILL to kill myself, nor what the metaphysical ramifications might be. If possible, however, it would permenantly put away the threat of Kyoko Amari's return.

I could overpower her- I could take the oppourtunity to use the Grove of Time's powers, as well as my own, to shatter her own mind. While technically this would prevent her from taking my place, the endorsement of such methods would surely lead me down the same path as her, the path I walked once before. It is... not a good idea.

I could die. Seal the grove with my passing. She might die, too- I'm not... sure how that would work. However, I am not willing to die.

I could give Third Eye BLind control of the Grove, but we've gone over that.

... With no options palatable, I forge into the future, until I find a new option or am forced to choose. After all- do I not have all the Time in the world?

That was a joke.

You should laugh.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Capfalcon posted:

Chimera, the Transformed, what's the last thing of Technomaster's that you broke? Why did you keep it?

Oh boy. This is kind of a weird one. A little while back, we're fighting (again), and I caught him working on some weird looking round device. So I make my hair into sharp cutting blades and just hack into it. He just freaks out and gets so mad. Not that he was able to stop me, but he usually didn't get that mad. So I snatch it up and took it with me. Maybe it could be useful? Later, I'm trying to figure out what this thing does when it suddenly starts working again and...uh. It turns out it projected a hologram of him. You know that bit in the Star Wars movie with R2-D2 having that message from Princess Leia? It was that, except him saying that Battle Cyborg is his only love and that he wants to marry her. Then it stopped working. So I wrecked and then stole someone's marriage proposal. I, uh, don't really know what to do. Do I keep it? I mean, maybe if they get married they might settle down. But they are two super villains so maybe they'll just start teaming up? And if I get it fixed, because I have no idea how to do that myself, how do I hand it back to him? Just say "Sorry about cutting up your Star Wars themed marriage proposal but it's working now and here you go"? So I guess I'm just keeping it until I figure that weird mystery out.

Capfalcon posted:

Which of the other guinea pigs do you keep in touch with, if only via letter/email/etc. What have they let slip that makes you think they're pretty bad off, even for the people that came out of those experiments?

Gwendoline Jernigan. She's probably one of the people who came out the worst. It's not like she has family or anything to visit. If you want to hear a bunch of depressing stories, try coming around to where everybody lives and listening. Not really an uncommon scenario. The problem is that she gave up hope early on and never really recovered. So I try to cheer her up but, I have no idea how to do that. We're doing super good at recovery, as you can probably tell.

Anyway, she said she wouldn't be able to talk for a while but wouldn't say why. I kept asking why until eventually she let up that she's going to be spending time in the Containment Unit, which is for the kids that have a) dangerous changes and b) can't control them. Not everyone changes constantly like me, some just randomly change whenever. Gwendoline's issue that she oozes poison out her skin, and a pretty dangerous poison from what I can tell. She hasn't had to go there before, so...I don't know. I don't really know what to do.

Capfalcon posted:

What's it feel like when your body changes to suit your latest need? Does it change back to... uh... "normal" on its own, or is it stuck like that until you will it to change to something else?

It's...hmm. This is kind of hard to explain in normal human terms. Okay, so the thing is, I can feel my body changing. Getting heavier, lighter, furrier, stone-like, bending and growing and shrinking and all that. Thankfully it doesn't hurt, this would pretty much be the worst superpower ever if that was the case. It's very quick though. Kind of like cracking your knuckles or back or neck. Instant sensation and then gone. That only applies when I conciously make an effort though, it's not going on 24/7 with the parts of me changing that I'm not doing on purpose.

As for changing back? Nah, it's like I've changed myself permanently, so it'll stay that way until I focus on changing myself again. It's kind of useful I suppose, make sure I don't have to keep focusing on maintaining whatever it is I needed to change. On the other hand, wow do I need to be careful not to forget because some people just aren't prepared to run into someone with all kinds of different parts mashed onto one body. I mean, it's not like I'm a beauty pagent winner already but might as well avoid causing more trouble for myself, you know what I mean?

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
If I must die, I shall welcome Death as an old friend, and wrap mine arms about it.

Might change the name, it's late and the deadline looms ...
Playbook: Transformed

Who were you before?

I was noone particularly important. I guess that's just how these things go, you never hear about movie stars or wealthy philanthropists turning into monster-men, do you? My name was John Scratch, a member of the A/V Club with dreams of making movies one day. I used to watch pro-wrestling with the little brother, even traded for some bootleg tapes of events from overseas. Oh, and for a while I helped moderate a little message board for the discussion of the unexplainable stuff in our world. Superheroes, ghosts sightings, alien conspiracies, most of it was hearsay or conspiracy theories, but it was fun to keep track of and sometimes someone would hit on something real. I feel a little too close to the subject matter to really get involved in the discussion these days, still, I check back out of nostalgia from time to time. Really, I was just a regular sort of teenager.

When did you change? What caused it?
Ah, that was a total monkey's paw kind of situation.

See, when I was a kid, my old man used to do a lot of work with a Doctor Morningstar, but the Doc was a single parent, you know? So, after school every day, his daughter Luciel used to hang out at my place with me and mom until her father could pick her up while dropping off my dad. It was like that for years, heck, Luci was my first kiss, you know? Eventually, my family moved to Halcyon City, it hurt for a while, and me and Luci kept in touch with letters for a year and some, but eventually we just kind of drifted apart due to the distance.

Then, out of the blue, she calls me up sounding really excited. Says she's in the city, and she wants to see me. Feeling all nostalgic, I take a bus to where she wants to meet. It isn't really the kind of place I could imagine my old friend hanging out, it's run down and abandoned, an old concrete box of a building with it's narrow windows boarded up. Still, there's Luci, wearing a long coat to ward off the autumn chill and smiling widely ... geeze, she'd grown up.

She'd found "it", she told me excitedly, leading me into the building. I'm thinking that the building looks much better on the inside than the outside, it's empty, but the tile floors are clean. Luci tells me that soon after my family had moved to Halcyon City, her father had suffered a mysterious accident, and that she'd mostly been taking care of herself for the last few years. My eyes are roaming over towering mechanical armatures and complex-looking chemistry equipment that ran along the edges of the large workspace. She goes on to say that she didn't believe her father's "accident" was any such thing, that someone had been looking for what our dad's had designed together all those years ago. Then, her eyes gleaming, she pulls the sheet off of one table, revealing a belt with an oversized golden buckle.

That damned belt.

She told me it was a human enhancement device. Whoever put it on would be injected with nanomachines that would reconstruct their body, grant them strength and speed beyond what any human should be capable of. We could be superheroes, like we'd talked about when we were kids. Honestly, who among you would turn that down? Who would stop to consider the possibility that one of their dearest friends had gotten in contact with them just to act as a guinea pig? Well, not me, that's for sure.

You see, the belt worked. Sort of. My muscles expanded and stretched with new fibers, rapid ossification expanded bone structures which were plated with advanced ceramics, my eyes started registering spectrums that they had no business seeing, the works. The problem was that the process went runaway, it was supposed to reach a point and stop, a point where it could rapidly deescalate back to my regular form on demand. Instead, I just kept getting bigger, skin turning dense, hairless and black, teeth sharper, eyes taking on a bloody red gleam ... worse and worse. I looked more like a killing machine than anything you could call a hero.

In the end, Luci managed to stabilize my form, but I'm depended on the belt to regulate my bodily functions now. There are perks, sure, I'm ludicrously strong and my body seems to be capable of pulling itself back together from most anything. Of course, the problem is that I've got a head full of new instincts, strange senses, and amped body chemistry that can really mess with my head when the adrenalien really gets pumping.

Yeah, unsurprisingly, Luci didn't try on the belt after me.

Who, outside of the team, is helping you understand your new body?

Luciel Morningstar still stands by me. Admittedly, sometimes it feels like it's more because she's fascinated by the changes taking place in my body than because of any concern for me. Honestly, I think on some level she prefers the power of this new bestial form over my old body. I guess she's her father's daughter, fortunately, that also means that she's a scientific prodigy in her own right, and there's no one else on Earth who understands her father's work better ... excepting, possibly, my own father.

Since everything happened, I can't help but wonder where she gets the money for the equipment I've seen in her workshop. She usually deflects the question when I ask her, she's claimed that she gets most of her money from government aid after what happened to her father, and that she took some of the equipment from our fathers' old lab as well. Still, I don't know.

It seems to me that if she really wanted to be a hero, she has everything she needed already, so why wait for the belt? Why involve me? It's tough to shake the feeling she has some kind of agenda.

Why don't you just try to hide yourself away?
What makes you think I'm not hiding?

I mean, don't get me wrong, I know that the face under this mask isn't exactly the sort that inspires confidence among soccer moms. It's honestly a little McFarlane-y, mouth full of little daggers and creepy long tongue included. Still, I'm huge, and I've gotta eat, you know? Part of the problem with running away from home is that I've got to support myself, but it's definitely worth not having to explain the situation to the people who love you.

I've got enough muscle to pick up a main battle tank, and even the stuff that pierces my hyper-dense musculature regenerates pretty quickly. I originally put on that belt because I wanted to live out the life of a superhero, I've got the powers, it seems like the best thing to do is use them. After all, how many other lines of work are there where you're actually encouraged to wear a mask?

So long as the costume doesn't get too damaged, I'm just another big strong guy in a field full of 'em. That suits me just fine.

Look, I'm just going to come right out and say it. I feel like the Moonlight Vigil might be one of the few crews out there where I could really fit in. I mean, you've seen the roster, right? A vampire, a zombie, a witch, and a monster hunter? Who'd even look twice at a hulking man-made "devil"? I need people in my life who are okay with the thing behind the mask, something to give me a sense of normalcy, you know? Luciel was that for a while, but, the more suspicious I grow the more I feel I need some space to step back and reexamine our friendship.

Besides that, everyone knows that "monsters" are solitary creatures, lurking on the edges of society. So long as I'm running with a group, out in the public eye, working for the common good it kind of dissuades any well-meaning crusaders from trying to hunt me down. Call that a bit of enlightened self interest, if you like.

Scarlet Mask is kind of an odd one as the heroing community goes. A former agent of A.E.G.I.S., his identity is something of an open secret among Silver Agers, though they’ll never say who he is. Supposedly, he cracked some kind of conspiracy, and while he saved the world acknowledging his actions would compromise national security. As a result, he’s somehow officially a rogue agent, but one who is occasionally tapped to handle politically sensitive operations away from U.S. soil.

He and I met up over a string of strange deaths that had cropped up in Halcyon City a few months back. People just keeling over in the street from organ failure, not too strange on its own, but all of them bore surgical scars, didn’t exist in any government database, and they were dropping too quickly and publically to ignore. It turned out to be some kind of doomsday cult that had discovered an alien crash site in the 70’s and had been cloning and transplanting alien organs into their members in an effort to make them “transcendent”. Unfortunately, this also made them susceptible to a exterrestrial virus that had been brought into the city by a 4th Dimensional Tourist accidentally, the CDC was aware of the virus but had classified it as benign.

That might’ve been true before, but the cult’s hybrid status had allowed the virus to mutate in such a way that it could infect normal humans. It looked like a new black plague was brewing in the suburbs … fortunately, my body’s regenerative abilities created a kind of antibody that could be synthesized and grant immunity to people. The way I hear it, they simply mixed it into the flu vaccinations that year on the sly.

It’s not the kind of job they’ll ever throw a parade in my honor for, but Scarlet Mask was impressed. He comes from the school of thought that believes a proper hero should disrupt the status quo as little as possible; when you’re doing your job correctly no one will ever know you were there. As I said, Scarlet Mask’s word carries some weight with the Silver Agers, so soon after I found certain doors opening for me.

What have you accomplished in town over the last month?

Well, you know how it is. Luci is always poking and prodding at me, trying to find a way to stabilize my condition in a way that doesn’t require the belt. There was a brief scare when I got in a punch up with a fourteen year old girl who seemed to have a toned down version of my powers. I spent a days in isolation before Luci was convinced that I hadn’t turned infectious, but that left the uncomfortable question of where she’d come from. Fortunately, the adjustments to my body chemistry make a pretty distinct scent to track, even mingled with the other smells of the city. I managed to track her back to her home base … where I was confronted with the fact that she was only one of a set of five identical little girls. Apparently, an organization called TINDALOS had discovered some of the early aspects of our fathers’ work and was testing it on clones to minimize variation in the test subjects and better track the technology’s development.

Frankly, one-on-five odds were a bit more than I was prepared for. I got my rear end kicked ... and then, I went berserk. When I came to, the lab that I’d found was in shambles, any hope of recovering evidence lost in a heap of rubble and fire. I hope the girls’ are okay, at least … they’re as much victims of this as anything, I’d hate to think I did anything to them.

Still, we need to figure out where TINDALOS got those notes. If there’s a leak, we need to plug it … and if they’ve found something that might help me, it’s something I can’t leave alone.

(Optional) What are you doing in the show's intro credits montage?
A fat, full moon looms over a sprawling cityscape where Devil Trigger perches at the ledge of a building glowering down like some kind of gargoyle, a sea of golden eyes and ominous shadows twisting in the streets below. The mouth guard and jaw of his helmet split open, revealing a jagged grind that stretches literally from ear to ear as he lets loose a howl of challenge, leaping from the edge of the building to the street below which shatters on impact, throwing monstrous bodies everywhere.

Hero Name: Devil Trigger
Look: Man, white, upsetting eyes, alien flesh, terrifying costume
Abilities: Inhuman Might, Superhuman Senses

Danger: +2
Freak: +3
Savior: +0
Superior: -1
Mundane: -1

Relationships
________________ comforted you when you were at your lowest.
________________ knew you before you changed.

Influence
You try not to care what other people think, even if you can't shut everyone out. Give Influence to one other team mate.

Transformed Moves
I am not my body: When you take a powerful physical blow, you may roll as if you had two fewer conditions marked. If you do, on a 10+ you must choose to lose control of yourself in a terrible way.

Coming for you: When you mark a condition, take +1 Forward against the person you most blame for causign it.

Be the monster: When you frighten, intimidate, or cow others with your monstrous form, roll +Freak. On a hit, they are thrown off and make themselves vulnerable to you, or they flee. On a 10+ choose one. On a 7-9, choose two:
- you frighten others you had not intended to scare
- you hurt someone or break something you shouldn't have
- you feel like more of a monster afterward; mark a condition (GM's choice)
On a miss, they react with violence, hatred, and paranoia, and you suffer the brunt of it.

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, clear one condition if they treat you like a perfectly normal person and mark potential if they praise your power or abilities.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them if they think you’re losing or gaining humanity. If they say losing, mark a condition and mark potential. If they say gaining, clear a condition and shift Mundane up and any other Label down.

Moment of Truth
It’s so easy to forget that you’re not your body, and you’re not the voice in your head—you’re both. Be the monster, and save them anyway. Smash down walls, and speak softly. Because when you embrace it, you can do anything. Of course, putting on a display like this is sure to rile up those who see only the monster when they look at you…

Justice Grieves fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Nov 24, 2016

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Apps are closed. I'm gonna finish up a round of questions and then make picks.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Devil Trigger, the Transformed:
How's Luciel different from the friend you had younger? What hasn't changed a bit?
What do you miss most from your old life? Who have you tried to stay in touch with?
What's the best lead you have on TINDALOS?

Bravura, the Nova:
So, do you still go to school? If not who's the League have tutoring you? If so, which teacher knows about your superheroism?
So, that worship power is... a bit creepy, considering how you got your powers, huh? What sort of powers does the Presence like evoking the most? Or at least what wears it out the quickest?
Who thinks you're a menace that needs to be muzzled?

Black Hole Son, the Beacon:
Do you think that your mom leaned on Monolith to get him to sponsor you?
In the League how secret is your parentage anyway? If it's a secret, who knows? If not, who resents you for it?
Which of your parents do you want to be more like as a hero?

White Cat the Delinquent:
Who's a flat out better hacker than you? Be honest, now.
Who in the city is against your involvement with the league due to your past crimes?
What's the next headline grabbing stunt you have planned?

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

Capfalcon posted:

Bravura, the Nova:
So, do you still go to school? If not who's the League have tutoring you? If so, which teacher knows about your superheroism?
Just graduated this past year, actually. Truth be told, finals week kind of felt like more of a challenge as far as "keeping my powers under control" than anything else. Or maybe that was just me getting bored of my skull from studying so intently. Still, B average overall, so that's nice.

Officially, I'm taking a year to "rediscover myself" before I start college, although the whole costume thing might complicate that a bit. Or make it more literal than the phrase is usually meant. Probably both, actually.

Capfalcon posted:

So, that worship power is... a bit creepy, considering how you got your powers, huh? What sort of powers does the Presence like evoking the most? Or at least what wears it out the quickest?

"Worship" isn't really the term I'd use, so much as "awe-inspiring". I mean, I haven't had anyone try to start a new cult centered around me, so it's probably a lot closer to the latter than the former. I hope.

I really, really hope.

...and thanks for giving me yet another nightmare to add to the list.

Anyway, as far as your other questions, there doesn't really seem to be any real preference beyond "use them, and make sure you're seen using them". Flashy, more than destructive. Throwing a shield down to protect someone from an explosion seems to do more than stopping the explosion from going off, for example. Although if I put on enough of a show when stopping it, then that works just as well.

Dammit, now I'm starting to worry about the whole thing you pointed out earlier and how the whole 'flashy shows of power' thing might end up convincing any surviving cultists that their ritual succeeded after all.

I think I hate you now.

Capfalcon posted:

Who thinks you're a menace that needs to be muzzled?
Guessing the villains I end up fighting don't count, although that encounter with Lord Dread I already told you about seemed to have made him really nervous. I guess when your gimmick is "tell me what you fear so that I can make it real", my fears aren't the kind you want to make real.

Herowise, though, my biggest critic is probably Turbocharge. He's Bronze, one of the supergenius gadgeteer types with electricity powers to boot. Claims that a lab accident turned his brain into a sort of biological superconductor. He keeps going on about how every simulation he's run, every predictive model, all claim that I'm far too likely to lose control and destroy half of Halcyon City before I'm finally taken down. He doesn't claim a 100% chance of that happening, fortunately, but he does claim that the risk is far too great for him to want me to keep these powers.

And that's where we have a level of disagreement, I mean, don't get me wrong, if I could get rid of the Presence, something tells me it'd be for the best. But it's a little too late for that to happen without killing me. That's pretty the only reason Turbocharge hasn't forcibly separated us, in fact; though he's indicated that if he has to kill me to save Halcyon City, he's willing to.

So, you know, no pressure there.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Cap, you forgot my app. Nobody.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Capfalcon posted:

Black Hole Son, the Beacon:
Do you think that your mom leaned on Monolith to get him to sponsor you?

I... I mean, I can't say no for sure, because I don't know? But I don't think so. He's taking a real interest, as far as I can tell, and we get along, you know? We talk about stuff, I send him status reports, he's got me on these projects... he's a pretty nice guy, but I don't think even a guy as nice as he is would do this all out of pity, or out of pressure from my mom. She's not his boss or anything.

... Look, you can't tell Mom I said this, okay? But the thing is, I dunno if she could really lean on much of anybody who's a full League member. She's technically Silver -- really late Silver, right at the end of when they mark that generation, from what I can tell -- but she's always been kind of more about infrastructure and support and stuff, not front-line villain-fighting, so she doesn't have a lot of big victories she can point to. Well, I mean -- okay, that sounds really bad, and Mom's done a ton of great stuff, but... the kind of stuff she does isn't always stuff the Super League recognizes, so that doesn't help. Some people even seem to think she's riding on Dad's coattails, which is weird, because Dad isn't even a scientist, but it's because he's a bigger name?

... I'm kinda guessing, I guess, because I really don't want Mom to have twisted anyone's arm to get me here. But I really don't think she could have if she wanted to. It'd have been easier for her to sponsor me herself -- I mean, that's not technically against the rules or anything.

quote:

In the League how secret is your parentage anyway? If it's a secret, who knows? If not, who resents you for it?

Most people in the League don't know my real name (or my folks' names) or what I'm doing in my regular life, but otherwise, it's not a secret or anything; it never really was, from what my folks tell me, but once my powers came out, my mom looped in half the League researchers on working on power-limiting treatment for me, the cat was kind of out of the bag.

Who resents me for it? Well, that's another long story, but the one I know about for sure is Radio Rave:

She's been a League hero for a few years, and she's about five years older than me. I think she's got sound powers, maybe something with communication? I don't really know, because the one time we talked, it was her storming into a training room and yelling at me about how it was my fault her mom was dead. It got kind of heavy.

I had to get the full story from Dad afterwards, but here's what he told me: Radio Rave's mom was the Pulsar, who was a good friend of my dad. They both had the powers to survive off-Earth, so they were part of a Silver flagship team called the Alphanauts, who worked out of Star Point Alpha, out in the asteroid belt past Mars. He showed me some pictures, too, --- it's freakin' amazing out there -- but that's kind of its own story, I guess? Anyway, when Radio Rave was little, the Pulsar was having a lot of trouble splitting time between Star Point Alpha and Earth, and she was leaning on Dad a lot about it. Then I was born, and then my powers broke out and all Hell broke loose, and Dad decided he needed to stay on Earth to take care of me. He and the Pulsar had a huge fight, and afterwards, things were pretty strained. The Pulsar got more distant from everybody, and a couple of years later, she just... flew off into space. I guess that happens sometimes to space heroes, even when nothing goes wrong, but it was a pretty bad situation.

I guess Radio Rave blames me for the whole thing, because I made Dad leave Star Point Alpha, and she says she's not the only one who remembers what happened to the Pulsar. To be honest, it scares me a lot when I think about it. The way Dad tells it, there were a lot of really cosmic-level Silver heroes on Star Point Alpha back in the day, and if they all blame me... well, getting kicked out of the League might be the good outcome, you know?

I don't like thinking about it if I don't have to, because I can't do anything. I don't even know if I could make amends. I mean, I was a baby. What can I even say, "sorry I was born with powers I couldn't control?" We already fixed that part!

quote:

Which of your parents do you want to be more like as a hero?

Maybe this is going to sound strange, after the last couple of questions, but really? I want to be more like Mom. Some of Dad's space stuff sounds super-fun and crazy, but I kind of want to make a difference that I can see in Halcyon. Fight crime and stuff, you know? Kind of more like what the Gold heroes were doing... make things better for people in ways that aren't just "keep the world from blowing up." I mean, yeah, I wanna help save the world if the world needs saving, and I want to do some crazy hero stuff, but I want people to say "he made Halcyon City a better place to live," like my mom did when she rebuilt the city train system. That kind of thing, you know?

Antivehicular fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
If I must die, I shall welcome Death as an old friend, and wrap mine arms about it.

Capfalcon posted:

Devil Trigger, the Transformed:
How's Luciel different from the friend you had younger? What hasn't changed a bit?
The thing about hanging out with Luciel again is that I’m not really sure how much is really different, and how much I just misinterpreted back then. I mean, part of that is that the years have definitely changed me too, sure, but another part is that the way I see the whole world is different now. I think about my old self, and it’s like thinking about the world from the perspective of a blind man.

When we were kids, Luci and me were … adventurous, you know? We’d go all kinds of places we weren’t supposed to. There was a fence we used to crawl under to get to one of our neighbor’s gardens where we’d steal tomatoes right off the vine. There was another house that, after we figured out how to get to the roof, we’d hide out up there and take meals. We used to disappear out into the woods all day long, not showing up again until the sun was well passed the horizon. Yeah, we’d get into trouble, but so long as the two of us were together there was always someone there to watch our backs and pull our fat out of the fire.

To my younger self, Luci seemed fearless. We were always together, sure, but it felt like I was chasing after her in those days. I was game for anything, but she was the one who’d decide where we were going, you know? Of course, part of that was because I thought she was so smart, she just knew so much about the world, you know? Why’s the sky blue, where do babies come from, what’s the name of that snail there, she always had an answer. Of course, with the benefit of time I came to realize she was just good at making up lies on the spot, but, hey, I was a kid. The tales she spun back then may as well have been truth.

These days, I know for a fact that Luci’s not fearless. I can smell it on the air, you know? She’s lost both of her parents now, and she knows she’s not invincible. She spends most of her time in the lab it seems like, and, while it’s only part of the equation, I know it’s at least in part because she feels safe there. Of course, the other part of it is that she’s really grown into her intelligence, and her old inquisitive nature now has her reaching to more obscure mysteries to satisfy that curiosity. Of course, with her spending less time out in the world, she’s not really as much of a people person as I remember either. She’s not awkward or anything, she can still sell a line of bull with the best of them, it’s just like she has less “use” for people so she surrounds herself with less of them.

Still, Luciel is definitely Luciel. That total confidence in herself hasn’t wavered even a little bit in the time we’ve been apart. She always acts like she’s in charge of the situation, and anyone who doesn’t agree with her has to be mentally deficient. Call it imperious if you like. She never treated me badly back while we was kids, mind you, she always takes care of her “underlings”. Still, I think it’s good we spent some time apart, I can’t shake the feeling that I wouldn’t have been able to grow at all with her around.

Capfalcon posted:

What do you miss most from your old life? Who have you tried to stay in touch with?
Geeze, that’s a tough question. I miss a lot about my old life. It’s not like I chose to cut myself off from it after all. Once I became this though, well, it was already over, putting some distance between myself and it was the only way to preserve that idyllic existence for anyone. I mean, really, if something like me claimed to be a friend of mine, I’d just assume it was some kind of brain eating monster … if Luciel and I ever figure out how to reverse this, I’ll try and make my apologies then.

Still, if I had to pick something … I guess I’d say I miss school the most. I know, I wouldn’t have expected that either. Still, it feels like there’s a giant hole in my daily schedule without it there. I miss just being around people, hanging out with friends and strangers, editing and sprucing up the Student Council’s show for the morning announcements, pep rallies and all that stuff. I’ve still got my text books, so I’m studying for a GED, but it’s not the same at all.

A close runner up is just watching pro wrestling with the little brother though. He wasn’t born until after we got to Halcyon City, so the age gap was pretty big. Fortunately, watching a couple of guys strut around in front of an adoring crowd and throw each other around a ring seems to speak across generations. Of course, I still watch when I can, but Luci doesn’t care for the pageantry at all, and it’s just not as good watching alone.

As for who I keep in touch with? Well, anyone who knew my face is, of course, out of the question. Like I said, trying to explain what’s happened to me is just … beyond the pale. Still, as I said, I used to moderate a forum. Well, it wasn’t really the kind of job one can do part time on their own, not if they intend to do so meaningfully anyway. One of the other mods went by the handle of xXBlackRabbitXx, we might not know anything about who each other are, but we’ve spent plenty of nights just talking. Or, to put it another way, he’s the only friend I’ve got who this whole situation doesn’t really impact at all.

Of course, there are some people on that forum who know who I am, so there’s always that chance that he’ll hear I’m “missing” in the real world. On one side, I don’t think he’ll pry … but, on the other, the board does have more than its share of conspiracy nuts and paranormal enthusiasts, so there’s always the risk that hanging out there will end up causing me trouble later.

Capfalcon posted:

What's the best lead you have on TINDALOS?
Part of what’s so frustrating about TINDALOS is how much I don’t know about them. What are their aims? How extensive are their resources? Where did they get access to our father’s work? Are they an organization on their own, or are they a cell of a larger group? They’re a big mystery, but they’ve tangled themselves up in me and Luciel’s life, so we can’t afford to ignore them. Especially if Luci’s hunch is right, and they arranged her father’s “accident”.

We don’t have a lot of leads right now. I mean, yeah, I can track the quintet of cloned “Shadow-Triggers” (we really didn’t properly introduce ourselves last time … got to remember to fix that), but following them back to their base of operations is just going to end in me getting trounced again. I need to luck out and find one on their lonesome again … but I don’t really know what they’re being used for, so that’s really just waiting for a lead to fall in my lap.

So, we come to the other option. The lab they were apparently maintained at may’ve been destroyed, but that doesn’t mean there was nothing of value left behind. I spent hours digging through the wreckage, but I found the ruin of some of the medical equipment that had been stored inside. None of it is really useful on its own, but there are manufacturer labels and serial numbers. If we can trace those back to a buyer, we’ll finally have toe-hold on this little mystery. Of course, the sales records aren’t exactly public, so we’re going to have to do some shifty business to get there.

• Locked thread