Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

porkswordonboard posted:

Moral of the story: if you know anyone who is neglecting their dog, you can convince them--maybe over a long period--that the dog, cat, or whatever might be better elsewhere. Sometimes you win that fight and the animal goes on to a wonderful life they never could have dreamed.

If you know of a animal like this, don't wait. Broach the subject, make your argument. Let it simmer if you have to. But if the results are anything like Zenni, you won't be disappointed.

Indeed. And this gives me an opportunity to talk about my first cat. He doesn't get as much attention itt because he's not quite as glorious as his counterpart. But Monty is a lil' pimp, and he's a Good Boy.

About four years ago, my old roommate from college moved in with me. He asked if he could bring his cat along and I was all right with it, but admittedly a little nervous as I wasn't a cat guy at the time (lol I had 12 of them in my house only a few months ago). Anyway, my roommate, who is otherwise a pretty decent guy, showed up to my house with Monty in a large, closed Tupperware bin . He assured me that, while on the drive over, he was cracking the lid every couple of minutes so that Monty could breathe.... Yeah...

I didn't fall in love with Monty right away, but he was a quiet and decent little dude. poo poo happened, and my roommate had to move out after only a month, but I just couldn't imagine that his cat would do well with him, long term. So I sat him down for some realtalk and asked if I could keep the cat. He was super relieved and admitted that he was going to ask me to do it if I hadn't brought it up.

Cut to today, and I'm madly in love with Monty. He has the most important job in the house: guarding the fridge at midnight and shaming me if I dare attempt to sneak a midnight snack.

He spends most of the day chilling up on the fridge where he can survey the house at peace and not have to deal with Butterscotch's drama. He is a Good Catte and him being so chill was a perfect way for me to learn more about these insanely cool animals and ultimately led to me becoming a foster.

So yeah, always step in. People usually want you to, because they probably care about the pet, and know that they're not doing enough. Also, the pet will nearly always find a way to show you their appreciation. It may be something as simple as a cat being willing to appreciate a nice gesture, like putting a bed on a fridge:

Chili fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I hope you and Monty enjoy many hugs.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Chili posted:

like putting a fridge on a bed:

Please don't put a fridge on your kitty's bed.

JustAurora
Apr 17, 2007

Nature vs. Nurture, man!
The fridge is on the underside of the bed.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Pander posted:

Blugh. Thank you pander

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Oh my word, he is stripey :swoon: Please post him more often.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Pander posted:

Considering who's thread this is that's blasphemy right there.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Nice kitty guarding the house. :3: Gonna need more pics of him, yes we will.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

luloo123 posted:

You are a good person, and that is an awesome dog.

Thanks dude! She was pretty drat awesome. And Chili, Monty looks like a Top Notch A+ Excellent Handsome Catte.

Also I mentioned Lana gave me a huge tip, but forgot to add that I'm donating $10 worth of dog stuff (I get a discount at work, so it's a better deal) to the local refuge league. I think Zenni would like that :unsmith:

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
I will happily post more Monty pics, he's a wonderful catte.

But as it's Sunday Evening....

Let's try something new! This time, we're going to use some :effort:! Drag the picture into paint or somesuch and fill in the Butter Bubble! ,Don't quote it, just put it in its own post.

:woop: And because this is the third contest, the forums are dying, and I'm in a peppy mood, :siren: the winner gets an avatar certificate:siren:! :woop:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I mean, I know I was sneaking treats when chili wasn't looking, but I didn't think he was serious about kicking me out over it!

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

butterscotch the infinite

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

e: I call it "Butters Dreams of Ham", in theaters everywhere holiday 2016

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 14, 2016

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Terminus
May 6, 2008

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Hail :refurb:

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

The full quote:
“Each suburban wife struggles with it alone. As she made the beds, shopped for groceries, matched slipcover material, ate peanut butter sandwiches with her children, chauffeured Cub Scouts and Brownies, lay beside her husband at night- she was afraid to ask even of herself the silent question-- 'Is this all?”
― Betty Friedan, The Feminine Mystique

I felt it captured the existential dread of his magnificent expression.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The perfect crime.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

deeter
Oct 21, 2005
http://i.imgur.com/zKXOf9L.gifv

Fixed - Thanks AlphaKretin!

deeter fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Nov 14, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Welp, looks like we're done here.

(Making it a gifv like I have in the quote would be nice for those with low bandwidth/crashy browsers though :ssh:)

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
These are all amazing so far. Keep it up!

Also, as folks asked for more Monty, this is where he sleeps:

Right next to my head.

Well, half the time. Some nights he stays up on the fridge, but I like to think when he's having his kitty nightmares he likes to have me around.

About a year ago, I noticed him expressing a lot of curiosity in that little bedside cubby when it was filled with books, an alarm clock, and various other things I need, but I decided that turning it into an ad-hoc catcove was a far better use of the space.

Speaking of, if you buy a catbed and your cat doesn't seem to like it, it's probably less to do with the bed itself, and more to do with them not wanting to give up their favorite place. A bed didn't work in that cubby so well so I just went with some old blankets and Monty couldn't be happier in there. So yeah, this is just another area of cat care where the advice is "let the cat tell you what it wants."

Monty is in his cubby tonight, and Butterscotch is splayed out like hedonism bot in the middle of the bed. Not a bad way to live.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

deeter posted:

http://i.imgur.com/zKXOf9L.gifv

Fixed - Thanks AlphaKretin!
This is amazing :allears:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart

Someone had to do it.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Yeah. The winner here is pretty clear:

Deeter runs away with the victory and the avatar gift certificate!

Deeter, you can e-mail me at TheContrarySon@gmail.com and I'll reply with the certificate link.

JackMann is the runner-up with another non-food/fat related joke that fit the expression very well.

Tune in next Sunday for another. Did you guys like this way better? With the comic bubble and all?

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Also works with clown

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
The thought bubble was pretty cool, and I'd like to see it again. That said, I wouldn't want every Buttercaption to be that way, or we lose out on the possibility of ones like NoirButter.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Just wanted to give an update on Soraya, the found Persian I had been fostering. She had her intake appointment at the SPCA this morning, and before I even left the building was put on the reserved list for one of the employees to take home. Not too shocking given her looks and personality.

The next two days we'll be cleaning up the kid's bedroom (our unofficial foster room) and looking to foster again over the holidays. I've already got my eye on a black cat named Octopus that sounds like she really needs a break from the shelter.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Marchegiana posted:

Just wanted to give an update on Soraya, the found Persian I had been fostering. She had her intake appointment at the SPCA this morning, and before I even left the building was put on the reserved list for one of the employees to take home. Not too shocking given her looks and personality.

The next two days we'll be cleaning up the kid's bedroom (our unofficial foster room) and looking to foster again over the holidays. I've already got my eye on a black cat named Octopus that sounds like she really needs a break from the shelter.

Awesome!

Also, I owe you guys an update.

First off, we have returned Mr. Dennis. He was such a sweet cat. When I brought him back to the SPCA they were thrilled because prior to him going to a foster home he was failing all of his behavioral assessments. When they assessed him, he would just lie down and not do anything. They were delighted to find out that when he was in a home and in a less stressful environment, he was sweet and playful so now he's adoptable! We're going to cool it on fostering for the next couple of weeks as we're going on our honeymoon at the start of December, but we're looking forward to getting back to it when we return.

And as for Butters...

He has done it. He has finally cracked the 20 pound threshold. He currently weighs 19.5 pounds! He's looking trimmer than ever and we just bought what may be our last order of weight management food. With all of his extra skin it's likely that the best we can hope for without surgery is somewhere in the ballpark of 17 pounds.

So yeah, all good things here!

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

LASER CAT VICTORY

Good job butters! :kimchi:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

:catstare:"WORSHIP YOUR BENEVOLENT ORANGE BUTTERGOD".

"OR ELSE."

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Chili posted:

When they assessed him, he would just lie down and not do anything.

Sounds like standard model cat to me. :confused:

And yay Butters! :neckbeard:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Yay for lighter, trimmer Butterscotch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Chili posted:

He has done it. He has finally cracked the 20 pound threshold. He currently weighs 19.5 pounds! He's looking trimmer than ever and we just bought what may be our last order of weight management food. With all of his extra skin it's likely that the best we can hope for without surgery is somewhere in the ballpark of 17 pounds.

So yeah, all good things here!

Yay Butters :neckbeard: