Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
Psychology, I'm guessing. That looks like an excellent primary source for a discussion of a connection between astrophysics and schizophrenia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Probably physics?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

TotalLossBrain posted:

Probably physics?

As it says it's about dark matter detection. It's really bad for a diagram of that nature, but basically the idea is that you have detectors which look for dark matter in various regions of speculated particle mass and cross-section (strength of interaction measure, basically), and they rule out areas if they don't see anything.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Well, they should just invert all their results then.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012

Double Punctuation posted:

Well, they should just invert all their results then.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

:laffo:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Do I need to know more about planes to understand why that's funny?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

We spend like 17 dollar signs worth of money and our planes can't even fuckin take off.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I don’t think the figures are funny per se, but it’s like if you looked up an M1 Abrams and the overview helpfully displayed that it seats four and gets 0.52 MPG.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

The graphics convey no information whatsoever. If it's relevant that the flight ceiling is such and such feet, then the number is helpful but the graphic is meaningless. There are four charts there that are totally pointless. What does that grid of squares by gross takeoff weight mean? Why are there 5 $ symbols, one of which is a lighter grey than the other four? Is the cost being ranked on a 5-point scale like a movie review?

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 23:51 on Nov 14, 2016

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Quote isn't edit.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I don't think those were intended to be charts, just graphic icons.

Like, these little red arrows don't show you how much something is resized by.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
Are the numbers big, small or average? Is it a good plane or a bad plane or a cheap plane or expensive etc. It's just a great big page of nothing

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Like, these little red arrows don't show you how much something is resized by.

But they do graphically illustrate what the text says. If you don't know what vertical or horizontal mean, the arrows show you. That's a good graphic. What do the arrows at 45 degrees show you next to the range of the aircraft? Nothing.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

hackbunny posted:

Are the numbers big, small or average? Is it a good plane or a bad plane or a cheap plane or expensive etc. It's just a great big page of nothing

So as far as the manufacturing executive making the presentation is concerned it's perfect.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Phanatic posted:

But they do graphically illustrate what the text says. If you don't know what vertical or horizontal mean, the arrows show you. That's a good graphic. What do the arrows at 45 degrees show you next to the range of the aircraft? Nothing.

It can move up to 772 spaces diagonally.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Ensign Expendable posted:

It can move up to 772 spaces diagonally.

They didn't call it The Bishop for nothing.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Phanatic posted:

If you don't know what vertical or horizontal mean, you probably shouldn't be considering purchasing aircraft.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

yo rear end is grass posted:

If you don't know what vertical or horizontal mean, you probably shouldn't be considering purchasing aircraft.

Eh, they practically fly themselves these days.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

http://www.chadhagen.com/Nonsensical-Infographics

These are downright great compared to some of the stuff in here

Osama Dozen-Dongs
Nov 29, 2014

yo rear end is grass posted:

I see you don't understand military thinking.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Is that the alignment system for the next dnd edition?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

this is somehow political isn't it

democrat -- republican

(government?) -- conservative

south dakota south nakota south cakota

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
RIS tells me it’s something called “Kibbe types”, from David Kibbe’s 1987 book Metamorphosis

Phrenology meets feng shui.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Platystemon posted:

RIS tells me it’s something called “Kibbe types”, from David Kibbe’s 1987 book Metamorphosis

Phrenology meets feng shui.

This looks like something a pick up artist would bring out to explain why his carefully constructed 'offhand' comment was critical, rather than insulting and therefor should have been construed as a neg. Hey where are you going?

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
Speaking of infographics that actually give you no added information and in fact obfuscate the information they're meant to present,

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ol qwerty bastard posted:

Speaking of infographics that actually give you no added information and in fact obfuscate the information they're meant to present,

I this implying that I should be able to intuit Morse from the shape of the letters? :psyduck:

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

flosofl posted:

I this implying that I should be able to intuit Morse from the shape of the letters? :psyduck:

It's a visual mnemonic device. If you can't remember the sequence you picture the letter from the chart and hope you remember that better. It's not a great way to recall the information but there's not a better way of making a mnemonic device to recall that poo poo.

The real issue is that anyone who cares enough to memorize the chart could just pack a pocket guide to morse code whenever they go somehwee and SOS is easier to memorize as the sequence than as the visual device.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Except that in most cases like c and g they hid put the dots and dashes along the letter and the shape doesn't help you at all
E's is especially unhelpful to their case (oh yeah see A has a dot on top and a dash across, B has the dash on back and three dots for the connections see... for E just loving forget how to draw it it's just a dot, just completely forget how to draw an E or it will mislead you)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I'm irrationally annoyed at how random it is for how many dashes or dots a letter has.

I know that you need to mix it up, otherwise to cover all 26 letters you'd need each letter in Morse to have 6 bits, but mixing 1, 2, 3 or 4 bits for the letters is just a mess.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
Read that whole chart and now this is stuck in my head.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

The big problem with graph-based methods like that is that even after completely internalizing them, lookup is too slow to copy down code you hear at any appreciable speed. The only way to really get competent at code is to memorize and internalize how each letter 'sounds'.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Gorilla Salad posted:

I'm irrationally annoyed at how random it is for how many dashes or dots a letter has.

I know that you need to mix it up, otherwise to cover all 26 letters you'd need each letter in Morse to have 6 bits, but mixing 1, 2, 3 or 4 bits for the letters is just a mess.

It's for efficiency. The faster you can send a message the better, so the more common letters (like E, T and I) have really short representations, while the uncommon ones like Q and J get the longer ones.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Proof of 23 missing letters of the alphabet revealed in Dan Brown's new thriller, The Last Cypher!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Gorilla Salad posted:

They could easily have cut down on the number of symbols per letter by using something other than dots and dashes. Even just incorporating a vertical line would half the length of the signals.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

How would a vertical line work in transmitting morse code?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Outrail posted:

They could easily have cut down on the number of symbols per letter by using something other than dots and dashes. Even just incorporating a vertical line would half the length of the signals.

Are you talking about morse code? The code transmitted via telegraph? How is a vertical line differentiated from a dot on a telegraph?
Or is that :thejoke: