Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Slide McGriffin posted:

you'll get the actual quest off the foreman at the quarry who'll have you investigate another thing first. The quest itself is rescuing workers who're building a giant statue to a deity.

I haven't even been to a quarry yet or even heard of a quarry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

monster on a stick posted:

I was exploring notice boards in B&W to get the sidequests, explored a "?" near one of them, and somehow stumbled on the middle of Big Feet To Fill without having any context whatsoever about the quest (though Geralt knew about it somehow?)
Ditto. I think I rescued all the workers without ever talking to the initial questgiver.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

monster on a stick posted:

I haven't even been to a quarry yet or even heard of a quarry.

Yeah, it happened to me too, unfortunately it is possible to complete the sub-quests of this chain before even triggering the main quest. In the future don't get into fights in places the give you updates on various stages of the Big Feet quest, and leave them for when you stumble upon the quest NPC.

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
So... Roach's speaking voice is really diffrent then i expected . Still totally down for more "buddy cop"-like advantages with Roach and Geralt .

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

admataY posted:

So... Roach's speaking voice is really diffrent then i expected . Still totally down for more "buddy cop"-like advantages with Roach and Geralt .

where is this quest? I need to know.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
IIRC you run into Roach as part of the main quest?

E: VV Oh, poo poo. I need to get in on that when I do NG+.

Joda fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 12, 2016

admataY
Oct 16, 2008

MrJacobs posted:

where is this quest? I need to know.

Blood and Wine expansion.. chasing some random question mark led to a great side quest. Also, im talking about Roach, not Roche . Roche voice is as gruff and stern as you expect it to be.

admataY fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 12, 2016

Slide McGriffin
Nov 16, 2009

OOOOoooOOooo
So im looking at crafting a full set of grandmaster armour. What's the best way to earn money quick without the skellige caches?

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
If you've been hoarding crafting supplies you probably have 5-10k in gold without realising. Try to avoid selling materials you need for equipment obviously, but things like the various wraith/specter/infused dusts sell for a lot and you probably have 20 of each different one by now.

Basically anything thats not dimertarium or draconoid leather you can sell 80% of your stock

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Slide McGriffin posted:

So im looking at crafting a full set of grandmaster armour. What's the best way to earn money quick without the skellige caches?

Cheatengine? Unless you have a ton of enriched dimeritium plate lying around.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Slide McGriffin posted:

Gonna assume you're in BnW territory because there's the level restriction, so;

Loot everything. All those swords and poo poo from bandit fun towns? Grab them. The master merchant basically has money for days, so you can just vomit them out on him. Loot everything else, too; lots of gold/silver vendortrash which, again, you can vomit on random merchants. (There's one next door!) I don't think any of the monster trash you get in BnW even has a realistic use, so you can vomit that on alchemists, too. (And all the other trash you've been getting, that 300 stack of monster blood pays out.)

Also, don't buy the needed materials straight out. You probably have plenty of fixings for that 5k-costing material, etc, go check it out.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Will the Succubus be murdered by the Druid who left angry that I didn't side with him?

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Also where is the best spot to stock up on Redenian Herbal to make White Gull for all these fuckin' potions?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't realize White Gull was craftable until I'm preparing to go to the Isle of Mists

so many potions and armors I'm missing. I also feel underlvled for where I am.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

I AM BRAWW posted:

Also where is the best spot to stock up on Redenian Herbal to make White Gull for all these fuckin' potions?

The cheapest should be at the inns of Skellige, but money shouldn't be a real concern. Just cycle them, and take a couple of days of rest if you run out of stock.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

I AM BRAWW posted:

Merchant near the drawbridge at crows perch

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Just starting this for the first time, finally. Anyone using NVidia have any recommendations as far as AA goes? The in-game AA is OK but not amazing. Should I just add Nvidia FXAA, or override the in-game AA entirely? I'm on a 1080 gtx playing at 1900x1200 so not too concerned about framerate cost.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
With a card like that and a low resolution, you should be able to get literally anything to work. Experiment, I find the in game settings good enough, and frankly I think the advanced, externnal settings fiddling brings a marginal improvement at best.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
I'm on a 1060 and have everything maxed out with no problems, a 1080 is going to laugh at you.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The only thing that will give you a slight hitch is closeups with hairworks maxed out. I'm on an 8gb 1070 with vsync on and even then I only lost maybe 2-3 frames in closeups. And that is with max hairworks.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I have a 1070 at 1440p with all NVidia features on, there's no noticeable slowdown. Go for whatever you want, at worst you'll have to marginally lower your settings.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Scooping up the Ursine Gear parts, walk into a cave, hear an incredibly loud and clear fart noise, took off headset for a moment.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
FXAA is unnecessary when you have any proper AA method on (i.e. MSAA, SSAA.) FXAA is more of an approximation achieved by blurring out edges on the final image, and is used because it's faster than traditional AA methods.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
B&W has a lot of sidequests

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Does anyone else have the bug where womens clothes and horses freak the gently caress out? Like polygons stretching across the sky?

And if so how did you fix it?

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
I just finished B&W today, As much as I loved the characters in HoS and the story, I must say that the story of B&W was great but I found both the antagonists stories to be lacking... they really needed to do a flashback scene of Syanne and Anrietta playing as children and then her getting banished and mistreated. Second, they needed you to feel something for the relationship of Dettlaff and Regis. I found myself not giving that much of a gently caress when Regis had to kill his own friend which should have been a crazy good moment

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Topsy the HELLephant posted:

Does anyone else have the bug where womens clothes and horses freak the gently caress out? Like polygons stretching across the sky?

And if so how did you fix it?

I had something like that happen with various horses in the game. Verifying the game files fixed it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Topsy the HELLephant posted:

Pfft if you read the books you'd understand this has a very deep canon explaination :smuggo:

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
OK, I'm back in Poland and jetlagged to hell. As promised, I'll tell you about one of my cut quests.

OK, so Geralt gets flagged down by this servant character, who directs him to speak with his mistress, a noble-lady who has an "occult" club with other courtly ladies. When Geralt meets her, she explains that her club (including her sister) were conducting a seance at an old elven amphitheatre when something strange happened. The wind began to howl and the noble-lady's sister began sobbing uncontrollably. When one of the other members of the club tried to comfort her, she grabbed a knife and attacked her. The other woman was merely injured, but the noble-lady's sister then ran off into the night.

The noble lady wants Geralt to help find her sister, she is seeking out Geralt because 1. she thinks something magical might be going on 2. he's famous and her club will be impressed.

Geralt goes and tracks down the sister. Unfortunately, she's dead (it's a witcher game, natch) it looks like she ran off into the woods before cutting off all her hair with a knife, then driving the knife into her own heart. After some investigating, Geralt finds a nearby cenotaph with an old elven poem on it. The poem memorializes the sad story of an elven maiden who fell in love with a human noble, despite the taboo and class differences. There's an anti-elf pogrom, and the maiden is saved and sheltered by her human lover, but he refuses to do anything to save the rest of her family or stop the pogrom. Her family is completely wiped out. She runs off into the woods and stabs herself to death.

Geralt realizes he's dealing with a Banshee, (which can force the living to re-enact the banshee's trauma) and goes to talk to the noble-lady. The lady is distraught but Geralt can convince her to help him avenge her sister and lay the banshee to rest. The occult club goes back to the amphitheatre and summons the banshee again, Geralt is able to use the noble-lady's body to trap the spirit and force it to become corporeal with an exorcism. In the process of the exorcism we learn that the noble-lady and her sister are actually the descendants of the elf-maiden and the human nobleman. The maiden was saved from slaughter because she was preggo with the nobleman's child. Swordplay. The banshee dies.

The noble lady is really upset because now she knows she's part-elf, and all her nasty friends in the occult club won't associate with her anymore. Her status at court is now in jeopardy. She says some racist poo poo. Sad trombone. Fin.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Nice quest, too bad it was cut.

I've finally finished HoS, what a ride it was! Now into Touissant in my sweet sarmata nobleman garm and sabre from a friend. I need to get appropriate haircut too!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I find it hard to put into words just how good hearts of stone is. It can be hilarious, terrifying, heartfelt and tragic without skipping a beat, and it is just pure Witcher down to the bone. I don't think there is any other way to experience it than in its game form. I thought about how a novelization of hos would work and I realized it just couldn't function any other way than it does.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

OK, I'm back in Poland and jetlagged to hell. As promised, I'll tell you about one of my cut quests.

OK, so Geralt gets flagged down by this servant character, who directs him to speak with his mistress, a noble-lady who has an "occult" club with other courtly ladies. When Geralt meets her, she explains that her club (including her sister) were conducting a seance at an old elven amphitheatre when something strange happened. The wind began to howl and the noble-lady's sister began sobbing uncontrollably. When one of the other members of the club tried to comfort her, she grabbed a knife and attacked her. The other woman was merely injured, but the noble-lady's sister then ran off into the night.

The noble lady wants Geralt to help find her sister, she is seeking out Geralt because 1. she thinks something magical might be going on 2. he's famous and her club will be impressed.

Geralt goes and tracks down the sister. Unfortunately, she's dead (it's a witcher game, natch) it looks like she ran off into the woods before cutting off all her hair with a knife, then driving the knife into her own heart. After some investigating, Geralt finds a nearby cenotaph with an old elven poem on it. The poem memorializes the sad story of an elven maiden who fell in love with a human noble, despite the taboo and class differences. There's an anti-elf pogrom, and the maiden is saved and sheltered by her human lover, but he refuses to do anything to save the rest of her family or stop the pogrom. Her family is completely wiped out. She runs off into the woods and stabs herself to death.

Geralt realizes he's dealing with a Banshee, (which can force the living to re-enact the banshee's trauma) and goes to talk to the noble-lady. The lady is distraught but Geralt can convince her to help him avenge her sister and lay the banshee to rest. The occult club goes back to the amphitheatre and summons the banshee again, Geralt is able to use the noble-lady's body to trap the spirit and force it to become corporeal with an exorcism. In the process of the exorcism we learn that the noble-lady and her sister are actually the descendants of the elf-maiden and the human nobleman. The maiden was saved from slaughter because she was preggo with the nobleman's child. Swordplay. The banshee dies.

The noble lady is really upset because now she knows she's part-elf, and all her nasty friends in the occult club won't associate with her anymore. Her status at court is now in jeopardy. She says some racist poo poo. Sad trombone. Fin.
That's a great story and all but I was really awaiting the twist where the constipated troll comes into play :colbert:

But on a more serious note - did you get writing guidelines before writing your quests? You mention 'it's a witcher game' but considering how consistently this proves to be true it really does feel like there had to be a guideline saying 'yo, don't forget to end every second quest in some depressing way'.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Palpek posted:

That's a great story and all but I was really awaiting the twist where the constipated troll comes into play :colbert:

But on a more serious note - did you get writing guidelines before writing your quests? You mention 'it's a witcher game' but considering how consistently this proves to be true it really does feel like there had to be a guideline saying 'yo, don't forget to end every second quest in some depressing way'.

I'll tell about the constipated troll last. The story is coming.

For W3 there really weren't any writing guidelines, since most people knew the universe and the previous games, we just aimed to "do that" again. The process was simply that the quest designers and writers generate pitches that are a few lines long, the director reviews them and picks the ones he wants. Then quest design gets down and plans all the nitty-gritty, goes over it with a writer. Then we make it, review it, revise, etc, usually a quest will go through 2-5 major revisions before it gets locked and polished. For example, the quest I just described actually was initially designed by another writer, but all the stuff about the elven maid and the pogrom wasn't there. It was just a generic ghost and the story about the occult club was just making fun of frivolous rich people. I really didn't like it, so I rewrote huge chunks of it. That went through a few more revisions before it was done like the version I wrote above. Sadly, it was actually pretty solid from my side, we had to cut it to save time with some other teams.

On the other hand, Equine Phantoms had no major revisions. The version I pitched to the director was basically exactly what you got.

By the way, did anyone playing Equine Phantoms try talking to the other animals at the hermit's house? That was a very late addition to the quest, I wonder if anyone actually notices it.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
This is a bit on the side, but what led to Touissant characters like Anna Henrietta and Guillaume having Swedish accents in the english version? Do other language versions give them similar accents?

Kopijeger fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Nov 14, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Meant to sound like nilfgaard except not.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
Only the EN version plays around with accents in that way, as far as I know.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've always wondered what various accents sound like in other languages, like say a french language show where someone is meant to have an English or American accent while still speaking french. Sir of the same way a french person in an English language show will have a heavy french accent.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

I've always wondered what various accents sound like in other languages, like say a french language show where someone is meant to have an English or American accent while still speaking french. Sir of the same way a french person in an English language show will have a heavy french accent.

Something like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g6YxkSqL20

Except the opposite of that.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

TipsyMcStagger posted:

I just finished B&W today, As much as I loved the characters in HoS and the story, I must say that the story of B&W was great but I found both the antagonists stories to be lacking... they really needed to do a flashback scene of Syanne and Anrietta playing as children and then her getting banished and mistreated. Second, they needed you to feel something for the relationship of Dettlaff and Regis. I found myself not giving that much of a gently caress when Regis had to kill his own friend which should have been a crazy good moment

Flashback would defeat the purpose, Geralt doesn't know these people and has to go on what people say and the evidence portrayed, if the stories were clear cut truth it wouldn't be a choice anyway. I cared for Regis, but not Dettlaff and believe that is the key.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Yeah, I think a big part of Blood and Wine is that Geralt is mostly on the periphery; these are problems that do not necessarily involve him, and it's a big part of the reason why it ends as it does; the world is full of problems and always will be, and Geralt just keeps getting swept up in other peoples' drama over and over again no matter how neutral he tries to be.