Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

It’s time for…

:siren: THE 2016 DOCTOR WHO THREAD SECRET SANTA! :siren:

Yes, it’s that time of the year again!

If you're new to this Secret Santa malarkey, we all throw our names into my hat, you receive a random name, and send that person a lovely gift of DOCTOR WHO goodies, toys, candy, maybe some booze (postage allowing), and all around a big ol' ball of holiday cheer! It's fun, trust me. No really.

SIGNING UP:

1) First thing, sign up here: http://goo.gl/forms/ldaiubFMd7

If you find you are having problems, email me at doctorwhosecretsanta [at] gmail [dot] com
In the subject, please include the tag [DWSS] as I am running another Secret Santa and don’t want to confuse the two.

2) Post in this thread! Tell us what kinds of stuff you're into! Once Santas are assigned, we're all going to be trying to figure each other out, so some healthy conversation will help things go smoothly.

3) DEADLINE: The deadline for sign-ups is FRIDAY NOVEMBER 18TH! #SAVETHEDAY Assignments will go out shortly thereafter.

4) BUDGET: Somewhere in the $25-$30 (£15-20) range (before shipping). You're welcome to spend more, but that's no guarantee you'll get that much in return. Gag gifts are cool, but please include some kind of actual gift.

5) COLLEGE STUDENTS: Remember that these gifts will likely go out around the holiday break, so be mindful of which address you give me. If you have any concerns about packages being stolen from your doorstep, use the address of your work/friend/parents, just so long as it's cool with them.

6) INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING: If you sign up for this, you are agreeing to the possibility of getting an international address. The USPS international price calculator can be found here.

7) SHIPPING DEADLINES:

Royal Mail last posting days: http://www.royalmail.com/greetings

USPS Holiday deadlines: https://www.usps.com/holiday/

8) WHEN YOUR GIFT ARRIVES: Show us your loot! Take pictures! You can wait until Christmas morning if you want, but still, show us all the awesome goodies your Santa brought you.

9) LATE PACKAGES: If you haven't received your gift by January 1st, let me know so I can look into it. If you haven't SENT your gift by December 15th, let me know so I can contact your recipient.

10) DON'T BE A DEADBEAT: If you sign up, please get your person something. Nobody likes a deadbeat santa.

11) FINALLY: A Merry Christmas to all of you at home!

12)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Just finished 4's run. Good times

My first impression is that I liked 3 a bit better as an actor (if I'm making a forced distribution), but 4 has the better stories. Not enough ridiculous chase scenes in 4, either.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Entered my first DWSS. You might want to add a link for how much international shipping costs, The_Doctor.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Thank you for posting DWSS, I really need it right now.

Here's the song I've been pairing with my DW avatars, and will be until I run out of Doctors or run out of lyrics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9L0Jxzep1Y

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CommonShore posted:

Just finished 4's run. Good times

My first impression is that I liked 3 a bit better as an actor (if I'm making a forced distribution), but 4 has the better stories. Not enough ridiculous chase scenes in 4, either.

I really love how the loose theme of entropy in the last season is matched up rather fortuitously (now, probably not so much at the time) with Tom looking noticeably older/more worn-down - it really makes "it's the end.... but the moment has been prepared for" work so well both in the sense of saving the universe from falling apart AND the Doctor becoming this new, young and fresh-faced character.

Also it's wonderful how nicely it parallels themes introduced in the Third Doctor's last story, where the Doctor's old mentor has psychically manifested his own future self into the world which the Fourth Doctor ends up doing with The Watcher. Considering that happened 7 seasons apart at a time when it wasn't as straightforward as it is now to get immediate access to previously aired stories, I wonder how many at the time picked up on it and how many didn't see it till years later when they watched everything in a short timeframe (like me!)

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

It’s time for…

:siren: THE 2016 DOCTOR WHO THREAD SECRET SANTA! :siren:

Yes, it’s that time of the year again!

If you're new to this Secret Santa malarkey, we all throw our names into my hat, you receive a random name, and send that person a lovely gift of DOCTOR WHO goodies, toys, candy, maybe some booze (postage allowing), and all around a big ol' ball of holiday cheer! It's fun, trust me. No really.

SIGNING UP:

1) First thing, sign up here: http://goo.gl/forms/ldaiubFMd7

If you find you are having problems, email me at doctorwhosecretsanta [at] gmail [dot] com
In the subject, please include the tag [DWSS] as I am running another Secret Santa and don’t want to confuse the two.

2) Post in this thread! Tell us what kinds of stuff you're into! Once Santas are assigned, we're all going to be trying to figure each other out, so some healthy conversation will help things go smoothly.

3) DEADLINE: The deadline for sign-ups is FRIDAY NOVEMBER 18TH! #SAVETHEDAY Assignments will go out shortly thereafter.

4) BUDGET: Somewhere in the $25-$30 (£15-20) range (before shipping). You're welcome to spend more, but that's no guarantee you'll get that much in return. Gag gifts are cool, but please include some kind of actual gift.

5) COLLEGE STUDENTS: Remember that these gifts will likely go out around the holiday break, so be mindful of which address you give me. If you have any concerns about packages being stolen from your doorstep, use the address of your work/friend/parents, just so long as it's cool with them.

6) INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING: If you sign up for this, you are agreeing to the possibility of getting an international address. The USPS international price calculator can be found here.

7) SHIPPING DEADLINES:

Royal Mail last posting days: http://www.royalmail.com/greetings

USPS Holiday deadlines: https://www.usps.com/holiday/

8) WHEN YOUR GIFT ARRIVES: Show us your loot! Take pictures! You can wait until Christmas morning if you want, but still, show us all the awesome goodies your Santa brought you.

9) LATE PACKAGES: If you haven't received your gift by January 1st, let me know so I can look into it. If you haven't SENT your gift by December 15th, let me know so I can contact your recipient.

10) DON'T BE A DEADBEAT: If you sign up, please get your person something. Nobody likes a deadbeat santa.

11) FINALLY: A Merry Christmas to all of you at home!

12)

LET'S DO THIS

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Also, in watching Logopolis I realized that if the universe were infinite, there would be an infinite number of universe-ending evil geniuses ending the universe at any given moment.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Tried to buy Power of the Daleks in the BBC Store via VPN but it still wouldn't let me because of my billing address. Why can't they be more like the Mexican Origin store? :argh:

Looks like it's available digitally in the US on Amazon????

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

CommonShore posted:

Also, in watching Logopolis I realized that if the universe were infinite, there would be an infinite number of universe-ending evil geniuses ending the universe at any given moment.

Thankfully tempered by an infinite number of daring heroes stopping all those evil plans!

EDIT: Massive 8th Doctor sale today. EDAs are $5, main range stories are $5. Dark Eyes and Doom Coalition sets are $20

jivjov fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Nov 11, 2016

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

CaptainYesterday posted:

Entered my first DWSS. You might want to add a link for how much international shipping costs, The_Doctor.

That's basically piece of string territory (as in how long is a...?). The holiday posting dates sites I linked (USPS and Royal Mail) both have international shipping guides. I'd say don't send a lot of books, they get heavy quickly.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

jivjov posted:

EDIT: Massive 8th Doctor sale today. EDAs are $5, main range stories are $5. Dark Eyes and Doom Coalition sets are $20

Aaaand i now have every Main Range McGann but Minuet, Creed and Scaredy Cat.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I went and watched Power of the Daleks in the theater, holy poo poo it was good. Even in animated form the strength of the story shines through and it remains one of the best Doctor Who stories I've ever seen (and now I have properly SEEN it!) - I had forgotten so many of the wonderful little moments and performances, the great supporting characters and their arcs. Lesterson and his slow unraveling into madness stands out, but I think I gained a new appreciation for the "Side with whatever side benefits her personally" Janley. Even just animated, the scene of the camera panning over the corpses of the colonists - rebel and authority alike - after the Daleks set about exterminating EVERYBODY is still really chilling. Can't wait to buy the DVD.

Also Patrick Troughton is incredible.

Doctor: Read this.
Lesterson silently reads it
Doctor: Aloud :colbert:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

CommonShore posted:

Nah, this isn't how it works. The natural numbers are (countably) infinite but there's only one "1", for example.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Nah, this isn't how it works. The natural numbers are (countably) infinite but there's only one "1", for example.

Yeah, the CVE opened to universes that were separate, but not parallel. So Adric is from somewhere with its own unique history, not an alternate version of our own.

Which would mean that other universes like the Inferno and Cybus one also have their own Adrics...

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I think he's doing the "The universe is infinite, so everything must happen infinitely many times in it" thing

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

jivjov posted:

:supaburn:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I discovered a vaccine for Big Finish sales.... own everything already!

:negative:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Jerusalem posted:

I discovered a vaccine for Big Finish sales.... own everything already!

:negative:

I got that particular injection yesterday. I really shouldn't have because now I'm out of money to donate to Desert Bus :(

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Anyone planning on doing the Monday theater screening? I know I could catch it on BBCA for free, but I'm tempted to go in my small/rural Missouri town just to see if there's anyone else in the building. The only person I know who would go with me says he will, and would for sure show up but I kind of think he's hate it. He's a Nu-Who guy and only a few classic eps I've shown him haven't bored him due to pacing. Then you add "iffy" animation to the mix and I get this feeling he'd hate it. I mean, I'd offer to pay for that reason but am seriously contemplating going myself. Stupid tendency to mind-read!

I didn't do the 50th in theaters, regret that, but I had a group who watched air live with me so it made up for it. Don't want to regret this, especially since it's motherfuckin' Troughton.

If you're going, anyone going with people they know aren't really into the classic serious?

Btw, hello again thread! Glad to be back after a self-imposed internet/social media hiatus, had a lovely period of my life and was a real selfish prick at times (hello Santee from last year, I know my last minute humble bumble deal was a lovely move and I still feel guilty). Plan to be active in this thread again, social media still gets a pass because I didn't miss it a bit. Also my Santee is gonna get to benefit from a year's guilt, so that's a plus?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I went with a friend who enjoys Who but isn't crazy into it, and has only seen a handful of classic episodes. She really dug it (and LOVED Troughton), but it sounds like your friend isn't much of a fan of the classic series and this one has all the "problems" you would find with that. The animation is mostly serviceable (at times it is really good, every so often it looks really stilted) - I'd say you'd be better off either going by yourself or trying to organize with some other friends to watch it on BBCA even if you don't watch it "live".

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

Jan 2018: I've been rereading my post history and realized that I can be a moronic bloviating asshole. FWIW, I apologize for most of everything I've ever written on the internet. In future, if I can't say something functional or funny, I won't say anything at all.
Sorry to drop in at random and I hope this isn't an old matter but I don't get to follow the forums as closely as I'd like these days and I wanted to seek the opinion of Whovians I can trust.

So I only just got to watch the latest Star Trek movie and had to ask: anybody else see a strong connection to State of Decay?

I may be looking for patterns in things that aren't there but I know Simon Pegg wrote it, Pegg is a fan, and, honestly, one of my top 5 favorite Who stories (at least top 5 Tom stories) came to mind so strongly I just had to check and see if anyone else thought the same.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I've been catching up on the second season of Gotham (and pondering why, since it's at best okay and often terrible, and never quite realizes its hammy potential) but hey if Michelle Gomez didn't just show up! I can only assume she's there to poach Sean Pertwee for a Third Doctor appearance, there's no need to correct me I'll just assume I'm right.

King Plum the Nth posted:

Sorry to drop in at random and I hope this isn't an old matter but I don't get to follow the forums as closely as I'd like these days and I wanted to seek the opinion of Whovians I can trust.

So I only just got to watch the latest Star Trek movie and had to ask: anybody else see a strong connection to State of Decay?

I may be looking for patterns in things that aren't there but I know Simon Pegg wrote it, Pegg is a fan, and, honestly, one of my top 5 favorite Who stories (at least top 5 Tom stories) came to mind so strongly I just had to check and see if anyone else thought the same.

I suppose there is a very basic similarity that I wouldn't have seen if you hadn't brought it up, but I think that's probably more of a coincidence.

Now if Kirk had speared the bad guy through the heart with a starship on the other hand....

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

I went with a friend who enjoys Who but isn't crazy into it, and has only seen a handful of classic episodes. She really dug it (and LOVED Troughton), but it sounds like your friend isn't much of a fan of the classic series and this one has all the "problems" you would find with that. The animation is mostly serviceable (at times it is really good, every so often it looks really stilted) - I'd say you'd be better off either going by yourself or trying to organize with some other friends to watch it on BBCA even if you don't watch it "live".

She?

Sounds like you have a Companion there, J-Ru. What's her opinion on Heathrow?

I'm going to see it tomorrow night. Can't wait!

The episode, not the airport.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

Heathrow?

I'm going to see it tomorrow night. Can't wait!

The episode, not the airport.

That's good, because my experience of Heathrow was that I had no choice but to wait. For hours :gonk:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

This is usually my experience of Heathrow:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

British power outlets look like very concerned Cybermen :ohdear:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

British power outlets look like very concerned Cybermen :ohdear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3fVj8A-K8E

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
This is why you fly into Gatwick and sleep on the train in.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

That's good, because my experience of Heathrow was that I had no choice but to wait. For hours :gonk:

At least you didn't travel 140 million years into the past

The_Doctor posted:

This is usually my experience of Heathrow:

Yer posh git

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Short Synopsis: Sluggish from a run-in with the Ex, the Doctor finally remembers where he left his keys

Long Synopsis: The Doctor and Amy find themselves on a doomed spaceship from the beginning of time under assault from a spaceship from the end of it. Mistaken identities abound as former powers desperate to regain what they've lost seek the final segment of the Key to Time. The Doctor must choose between chaos and order, black and white, revenge and forgiveness - the universe WILL survive, but in what form?

What's Good:
  • Amy and Zara. Oddly enough since a lot of this story was recorded FIRST in the Key 2 Time Saga before they'd really established Amy and Zara's characters, this actually feels like the best use of the characters so far AND a natural progression of the stories that preceded it (which wouldn't be recorded until after this one!). In particular it is Zara who gets the most growth, she was missing from the last story but plays a large part in this one, though not always by the same actor. She and Amy began "life" as Tracers, sentient beings capable of finding and holding the segments to the Key to Time. But the passage of time and their interactions with others has made them develop as people, and it is the failure of the antagonists to recognize this (and of course, the Doctor's ability to see it) that plays a large part in ultimately saving the day. Both were quite deliberately one-dimensional at first, but deliberate or not it didn't make them particularly engaging characters. It paid off here though, as Zara develops feelings and begins second-guessing her own often cavalier and superior attitude. Meanwhile, Amy continues along the path of the previous stories, as she gradually grows as a person in her own right and learns to start making her own decisions instead of just echoing off the personality of whoever happens to be the dominant person in the room. Having the ending in mind before writing the preceding stories probably helped, but Amy and Zara both weren't anywhere near as interesting as characters as they are in this story.

• The identity fake-outs. This story is filled with a large number of surprise reveals regarding characters. Some are good, some are bad, but one in particular is phenomenally well-handled, as the Doctor hears a voice, makes an assumption, gets proven wrong but in the process ends up turning out to be right! The casting of Lalla Ward is great if only for the fact that they're playing somebody that makes perfect sense in regards to the setting, and then even that gets turned on its head. Meanwhile, other characters turn out not to be who they were thought to be, not even who they thought themselves to be! All of these fake-outs are smoothly handled however, there is nothing confusing about it at all.

• The final segment. After the first four segments were so easily found, the fifth and sixth proved more elusive. The eventual discovery of the 5th was very well handled in The Destroyer of Delights, and even though it doesn't quite get the elaboration it needs the same can be said of the sixth and final segment. When finally revealed it makes for a great cliffhanger, as well as a neat subversion of the discovery of the 6th segment in the original Tom Baker Key to Time season. Exactly why the Guardians or the Tracers couldn't find it earlier doesn't really get explained but I get the impression from spoken lines that Romana's lengthy stay in E-Space helped mask the Segment from discovery. There is a bit of a cop-out to get Big Finish out of the situation they just created, of course, and the identity of the person kind of nullified any tension about what the eventual resolution would be.... but you could make the same argument about a story about the end of the Universe featuring the 5th Doctor when we know he's still going 8 regenerations later (9 if you count Dildo-Doctor which apparently we're supposed to) and in the end it was worth it just for,"That's right Doctor, I and the 6th Segment!" and then the end theme kicking in.

What's Not:

• The slugs. There is a vaguely interesting idea about an army being drawn from across time, including a fleet of aliens from one of the earliest space-faring races going to battle with a space-faring race from the end of time. But it basically gets ruined by the all-too familiar bubbling, gurgling voices of a corpulent, malicious and viciously stupid race of ugly, slimy aliens that British sci-fi seems to find so endlessly fascinating/hilarious. I'm not sure if they're meant to be something akin to the creatures from The Twin Dilemma or not but that's what they reminded me of. They're shallow and make no sense, the Commander straight up eats any of his crew who questions an order, which can't exactly be conducive to the productive running of a starship. They seem to be there mostly for comic relief, are largely written out after the first episode only to make an unwelcome return before promptly disappearing again because they really have no place within this story outside of a delivery mechanism for getting the Doctor, Amy and Zara down to the planet. It is however a neat touch that this planet ends up being where the Doctor first meet Amy, and the crashed spaceship he was investigating ended up being the one he would later be on as it crashed. The slugs, like the dog-alien they run into on the planet, just seem to be filler, and not particularly good filler at that.

• The Powers That Be/Were. Several major powers show up in this story and largely end up doing nothing and mostly proving a distraction or a less than engaging ultimate foe for the Doctor and Amy at the end of this "saga". Two in particular are very annoying because the previous story was very much about removing the Guardians from the board, ending with the two powerless and useless and realizing they had no choice but to sit around and wait for the Doctor to fix everything to restore them to their prior powerful states. To have them both show back up cranked up in power again was annoying even if some of the reveals were cleverly done, because just as Big Finish acknowledged in the behind-the-scenes of the previous story, characters like this can't help but utterly dominate a story due to their power levels. The Doctor's big indictment of them as incapable of thinking creatively and being utterly dependent on agents to do their work for them would be a great moment... if he hadn't already done just that in the previous story. Then there is the new "power", the "Grace", which gets namedropped throughout the saga and then finally shows up and feels completely unremarkable and fails to distinguish herself in any way from the likes of the Guardians/Eternals/Time Lords etc. She is also dealt with rather abruptly, despite being talked up for her massive power the ease with which the Doctor overcomes her makes her feel rather useless.

• The "saga". This story finishes up the Key 2 Time "saga" and once again I have to ask... why? In the end the use of the old Key to Time from the Tom Baker years may have allowed some level of familiarity, but it does so little different and ultimately makes so little difference (time itself is supposed to be unraveling, the worst we see is a frozen rain storm on a planet and some deteriorating handbags) that they might as well have made up something completely new on a similar power level. That at least would have freed them up to do their three-parter without having to cram finding the first four segments into the opening story - they could have had Amy and Zara both find one each across the three stories, but then they couldn't have done the scene where Zara tries to steal Amy's right at the start and gets blasted for her troubles. Similarly when the story finishes up it feels like mostly a waste of time. It kinda worked in the Tom Baker season because there was something lovely and anarchic about the 4th Doctor spending all that time assembling the key and then scattering the pieces all over again to save Astrid and thumb his nose at the Black Guardian. The much calmer and friendly 5th Doctor couldn't do the same, and the self-sacrificing nature of his attempt to end the danger of the Key is fitting, but it also makes the previous 3 stories feel like they accomplished nothing. They never really sold the supposed danger the Universe was in as a result of the Doctor's earlier actions, the whole thing largely felt like a waste of time.

Final Thoughts:

The Chaos Pool is, by itself, quite a fun story. As is The Destroyer of Delights before it. The trouble is both stories are part of a larger whole and the whole is NOT greater than the sum of its parts. There is some neat character stuff for Amy and Zara, both of whom I assume are only around for these three stories and no more meaning that by the time they become solid characters in their own right its time for them to leave. There are some neat fake-outs and cliffhangers but they're quickly negated or twisted back to the status quo - one very cool cliffhanger moment revealing the final segment is so well handled but, once established, the story seems most concerned with completely reversing this all back to the initial expectations. They also go back to the well of using the Guardians after going out of their way to get rid of them in the previous story and the attempt to create a new massive universe-shaking threat/baddie the Doctor almost casually deals with them and then moves on. There's a lot of negativity here, but it's as a result of being part of a larger "season" arc, a sequel that nobody was demanding and that never really justifies its creation. The actual story by itself is really quite entertaining and the character interactions are for the most part solid and well-written. If this story was able to stand-alone (which I do not think it is, sadly) I'd happily recommend listening to it. As it is, this one (and the Key to Time as a whole) are mostly for listening to for completion's sake, and thinking about what might have been if all three stories had been stand-alone. By themselves, each one could have been very good, but put them together and the flaws just become too magnified.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Yeah. I like all three of those stories, but I don't really give a toss about the overarching plot.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Much like a classic DW episode then.

*old guys from muppets gif*

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This is why you fly into Gatwick and sleep on the train in.

Are you tryi to trick people into using Southern Rail? That's cruel

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

BSam posted:

Yeah. I like all three of those stories, but I don't really give a toss about the overarching plot.

Agreed. Reading your reviews made me want to re-listen to them all, especially Destroyer of Delights because of the Guardians absolute pity-party attitude about being stuck in so few dimensions but I could be damned if I can think of a point to the plot, besides introducing The Grace.

Which reminds me, I remember once listening to the first episode of Graceless and coming away from it having no loving clue what it was supposed to be about or why I was supposed to care. Which echoes the OP's opinion (however, I will defend Dorian Gray because that series is good. Corny, campy as hell and needlessly moody at times but Alexander Vlahos kills it). It even made me read Picture of Dorian Gray - which is a boring book for 75% of it, but now I can at least say I read it? I guess?

Btw

Decided not to abuse anyone else's (my NuWho friend, my sister, even my loving MOM offered) willingness to sit through 3 hours of boredom (for them), going to a movie alone for the first time in probably years. loving PUMPED.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

McGann posted:

Agreed. Reading your reviews made me want to re-listen to them all, especially Destroyer of Delights because of the Guardians absolute pity-party attitude about being stuck in so few dimensions but I could be damned if I can think of a point to the plot, besides introducing The Grace.

Which reminds me, I remember once listening to the first episode of Graceless and coming away from it having no loving clue what it was supposed to be about or why I was supposed to care. Which echoes the OP's opinion (however, I will defend Dorian Gray because that series is good. Corny, campy as hell and needlessly moody at times but Alexander Vlahos kills it). It even made me read Picture of Dorian Gray - which is a boring book for 75% of it, but now I can at least say I read it? I guess?

Btw

Decided not to abuse anyone else's (my NuWho friend, my sister, even my loving MOM offered) willingness to sit through 3 hours of boredom (for them), going to a movie alone for the first time in probably years. loving PUMPED.

It's only playing one night, and it's 230 km away from me, and it's a loving Wednesday in a work week.

I might be able to make it, but that would involve missing some volunteer commitments....

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I thought you guys might like to read my review of the 9/11 episode of Doctor Who.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

I skimmed it, but I love that the date at the top is November 9th.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Power of the Daleks is playing at 7:30 tonight but I don't know if I can get motivated enough to go see it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

Power of the Daleks is playing at 7:30 tonight but I don't know if I can get motivated enough to go see it.

Why's that

Not looking forward to the animation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Burkion posted:

Why's that

Not looking forward to the animation?

I wasn't super impressed by any of the teasers they've dropped. I also have a ton of poo poo I could be doing tonight to prep for our new carpet install.

Decisions.

• Locked thread