Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Feedbacker posted:

In Wyoming, the Wind River Range.
Go look at the Tetons, maybe hike a day or two, then go to the Winds.

Prepare appropriately. It can get rugged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Feedbacker posted:

In Wyoming, the Wind River Range.

Yeah another vote for the Winds, great place

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Officer Sandvich posted:

Washington State :getin:

Full disclosure: I'm considering somewhere that's in the path of the eclipse.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Fnished two day bike trip. rear end status: Ruined

I had fun in the sense that it was time spent with friends, but I am not going to do that again for a while.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Going to be in the vicinity of Great Smokey Mountain NP

I haven't been in the Smokies recently, but my brother was at the Cades Cove section this summer and said it's a solid area with nice, moderate day-hiking opportunities. We've had a dry year, with wildfires and springs running dry at parks in mid-east TN so definitely check the water and fire situations at your campground. Hikes prominently featuring waterfalls are likely to be disappointing.

Also I have finally cobbled together a budget-friendlier 3.5 season (for this region) backpacking ensemble.
Kelty Grand Mesa 2, with footprint
Klymit Static V2 pad
Alps Mountaineering Endeavor 20 bag with liner

Clocks in at around 6.5lbs. I tested it car-camping this weekend and stayed comfortable and very toasty in the low 40s. I'm 6'0" ~165lb and the inflatable pad held up to a 10-hour sleeping session.. It's plenty wide but could use an extra inch or two in length, if I'm being picky.. Tent is a great space for 1, 2 might be tight depending on the person.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Flambeau posted:

I haven't been in the Smokies recently, but my brother was at the Cades Cove section this summer and said it's a solid area with nice, moderate day-hiking opportunities. We've had a dry year, with wildfires and springs running dry at parks in mid-east TN so definitely check the water and fire situations at your campground. Hikes prominently featuring waterfalls are likely to be disappointing.

Also I have finally cobbled together a budget-friendlier 3.5 season (for this region) backpacking ensemble.
Kelty Grand Mesa 2, with footprint
Klymit Static V2 pad
Alps Mountaineering Endeavor 20 bag with liner

Clocks in at around 6.5lbs. I tested it car-camping this weekend and stayed comfortable and very toasty in the low 40s. I'm 6'0" ~165lb and the inflatable pad held up to a 10-hour sleeping session.. It's plenty wide but could use an extra inch or two in length, if I'm being picky.. Tent is a great space for 1, 2 might be tight depending on the person.

Have you had any experience at the Elkmont and Smokemont campground in mid-November? Is it still packed? It is currently first come, first serve and I am worried it will be filled up. Sticking to car camping this trip since I am by myself.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
I don't know, it'll be busy still but I'm sure you'll find a site unless you show up really late

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Have you had any experience at the Elkmont and Smokemont campground in mid-November? Is it still packed? It is currently first come, first serve and I am worried it will be filled up. Sticking to car camping this trip since I am by myself.

I live in Knoxville, and I spend a lot of time in the GSMNP (over 100 miles hiking there just this year). I was in Elkmont 3 weekends ago and the Cosby campground the weekend before that. At that time both were still packed with no vacancy, but the weather has been very warm and dry here. That said the weather is starting to turn. It was in the 80's last week here in the valley, but it is going to be highs in the 50's and lows in the 30's this weekend. I would try Cosby over Elkmont if you are worried about crowds.

About hikes? I would suggest the following (all mileage is round trip):

- Alum Cave Trail to Mount Leconte Lodge (around 11 to 13 miles depending on where you go while on top). If that is too much just go up to Alum Cave which is a 5 mile round trip.

- New Found Gap Parking Lot to Charlie's Bunion via the AT (8 miles, and not too hard at all)

- Cosby Campground to Mount Cammerer Firetower (11 miles and 3000 foot climb, but well worth it).

- Hemphill Bald (9 miles and excellent views).

- Chimneys (4 miles but steep 2 mile climb, and if you go climb the Chimneys).

The best waterfall in the Smokies is Ramsey Cascade, but the bridge is out and the trail is closed. Given the drought here just skip waterfalls.

http://www.hikinginthesmokys.com/location.htm is a good website to go to. Most trails are well marked and hiking alone shouldn't be an issue. If you are a beginner hiker looking for something rewarding I would suggest Charlie's Bunion.

Also feel free to ask me any questions. It is my backyard.

One last thing, because of forest fires close to Chattanooga even up here it is a haze of smoke right now. Not sure how long it will last, but it is like a California drought here right now.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
The website says that Elkmont can be reserved up to October 31 and then first come first serve from November 1 to November 26. Likewise, the Cosby campground is closed after October 31. Smokemont is open until the 31st of December.

I would have preferred Cosby since it is geared more towards tent camping rather than RVs, etc. It is also closer from where I am coming from. That hike to Mount Cammerer looks fun.

I am just worried since I am coming from the Virginia/Tennessee border area from a work trip and I don't want to drive down there only to be turned away with nowhere to stay.

On the hiking end I all those look awesome. Depending on when I get there on Friday I might try one of the smaller ones before a long hike on Friday. I was planning on a 13-mile variation of Charlie's Bunion (take a bit of a loop rather than just retracing back). Backpacking for me is a bit of a paradox. I don't like camping by myself, but I love hiking by myself since I can move at my own pace (i.e. fast).

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I'm finalizing my gear for my AT thru-hike next year, and I've got a question about hammocks.

There seems to be so much more to know than about tents, but also, it feels like maybe, just maybe, I'm over-complicating things.

This hammock (https://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/product/AST001.html), which comes with a rainfly.

+

These straps (https://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/product/AST001.html)

I use two carabiners to attach the hammock to the straps. That's it, job done right? No knots, no more equipment, just that. Then use two stakes for the rainfly guidelines. I'll also get a snake sack, which I'll put both the hammock and the rainfly into when I decamp.

That almost seems too simple. But does that sound like a good idea? Still working on insulation, I don't know whether I need an underquilt yet.

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

Does anyone know a place other than Gregory where I can buy buckles compatible with their backpacks? I got a Baltoro 75 yesterday on clearance for a great price at a local sporting goods store, but the waist strap on the largest size is just a tad too snug for my liking. I was originally planning on just buying some generic buckles and making an extender, but it looks like their buckles are not interchangeable with other kinds of buckles, and its stitched in to the plastic supports of the waist belt on the other end. I tried getting a hold of Gregory but they haven't been super helpful so far.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Cheesemaster200 posted:

The website says that Elkmont can be reserved up to October 31 and then first come first serve from November 1 to November 26. Likewise, the Cosby campground is closed after October 31. Smokemont is open until the 31st of December.

I think Cades Cove is also open all year around. Gregory Bald is a tough hike with a nice view out of there. Also Rocky Top too, but I haven't done it yet.

Also there are several private owned campgrounds outside the park just in case. I know not ideal, but I would research that as a back-up just in case.

Cheesemaster200 posted:

I am just worried since I am coming from the Virginia/Tennessee border area from a work trip and I don't want to drive down there only to be turned away with nowhere to stay.

On the hiking end I all those look awesome. Depending on when I get there on Friday I might try one of the smaller ones before a long hike on Friday. I was planning on a 13-mile variation of Charlie's Bunion (take a bit of a loop rather than just retracing back). Backpacking for me is a bit of a paradox. I don't like camping by myself, but I love hiking by myself since I can move at my own pace (i.e. fast).

You coming from the Tri-Cities? I grew up in Johnson City, and one of the best hikes on the AT, Roane Mountain, is near by.

The side trail to the Jump Off is worth the hike if you are going to the Bunion (turn at the Boulevard Trail at 2.7 miles and the side trail is right there) . That said if you are an experienced hiker I would pick Mount LeConte. Myrtle Point, Clifftops, and plus having lunch at LeConte Lodge (it closes after Thanksgiving) makes for an awesome day. Alum Cave Trail is the fastest (and steepest) to LeConte, and it the trail changes several times on the way up. That said both are rewarding hikes.

Alum Cave Trail between the so-called cave and the top of LeConte.

View from the Clifftops on LeConte.

View from the Bunion.

View from Mt Cammerer Firetower.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Nov 8, 2016

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Alan_Shore posted:

I'll also get a snake sack, which I'll put both the hammock and the rainfly into when I decamp.

That almost seems too simple. But does that sound like a good idea? Still working on insulation, I don't know whether I need an underquilt yet.

Two points:

1) if your tarp is wet, you just rolled it up into your dry hammock. At least have a plan to stow it separately if needed. An extra small stuff sack should be fine.

2) I have been fighting he two quilt system for like a year now and keep freezing my rear end off. A 22f bag with a pad under it still had me shivering Saturday night at like the low 40's because the wind was cutting under me. At least budget for an underquilt and in the meantime try and test your hammock out, in the yard if you have to. I am normally a super hot sleeper and am still trying to work out hammock insulation after like two dozen nights in it.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Alan_Shore posted:

I'm finalizing my gear for my AT thru-hike next year, and I've got a question about hammocks.

There seems to be so much more to know than about tents, but also, it feels like maybe, just maybe, I'm over-complicating things.

This hammock (https://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/product/AST001.html), which comes with a rainfly.

+

These straps (https://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/product/AST001.html)

I use two carabiners to attach the hammock to the straps. That's it, job done right? No knots, no more equipment, just that. Then use two stakes for the rainfly guidelines. I'll also get a snake sack, which I'll put both the hammock and the rainfly into when I decamp.

I'm not sure which hammock/tarp you're looking at since both links go to the atlas straps. I've tried the straps and they're alright, but they're way heavier than suspension needs to be. I have a cinch buckle system that attaches to trees just as quickly but weighs like 5 oz with 10 foot straps. Cinch is marginally easier to adjust and fine tune the hang as well since you're not tied to loop lengths, but the biggest QOL change over 2200 miles is probably the 6 oz weight savings.

Also would suggest storing the tarp separately when it's wet. Usually hanging it on the outside of the pack helps dry it off over the day, or at least keeps it from getting other things wet. The hammock itself usually doesn't need its own sack - if it's dry out it won't matter, and if it's raining the tarp is going up first anyways. Minor weight difference either way.

I just got a down underquilt this month and personally love it, it's amazing how much of a difference it made. I originally avoided it due to cost but ended up throwing more money away overall after messing around with a couple homemade pads and synthetic quilts that all sucked. The advice I heard and will echo is that unless you're Scrooge McDuck and money is no option, 20 degrees is the sweet spot for quilts. You can loosen it for warmer temperatures, layer for colder, and the weight penalty either way is marginal since it's all lightweight anyways. Appropriate clothing and tarp hanging can also buy another 15-20 degrees.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

D'oh, I pasted the same link twice, like a dumdum. It's this hammock: https://hennessyhammock.com/products/ultralite-backpacker-asym-classic - it's so light!

Good points about the tarp, I'll get a separate sack and hang it on my pack when wet.

Yeah I'm concerned about the temps when sleeping. An underquilt seems to be a great option, but man, most of them are MORE expensive than the drat hammock! I mean, Christ.

Guest2553, which straps and underquilt are you using, out of interest? I suppose I'd still need a sleeping bag, couldn't get away with an underquilt and a top quilt?

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS
Can I get some suggestions for a sleeping pad? I've been sleeping for years in either a Hennessey Hammock or just under a fly, and I've been using an entry level Thermalite self inflating pad. It's ok for backpacking since I can strap it on vertically, but I've recently started bike packing and I need something I can pack smaller.

I'm a side sleeper who moves around alot. I want something I could sleep on down to 15 degrees. I don't want to spend much but I will if that gets me a good long term pad.

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.

Alan_Shore posted:

Guest2553, which straps and underquilt are you using, out of interest? I suppose I'd still need a sleeping bag, couldn't get away with an underquilt and a top quilt?

Not sure what the other guy uses but I use nylon straps with whoopie slings from dutchware. The nylon straps go around the tree, then I tie a marlin spike with a titanium toggle and loop the whoopie slings over that. It's light, versatile and not to mention fun to set up if you enjoy being baller and tying a simple knot!

Dutchware has a few different options on his site, but there are plenty of other stores that sell similar stuff. That said you can make your own pretty easily if you're crafty and patient (I opted to buy because I was impatient).

I think my suspension weighs like 100g or something g stupid. My whole hammock, tarp, suspension, guy lines, etc weight right around 900g iirc.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

forkbucket posted:

Not sure what the other guy uses but I use nylon straps with whoopie slings from dutchware. The nylon straps go around the tree, then I tie a marlin spike with a titanium toggle and loop the whoopie slings over that. It's light, versatile and not to mention fun to set up if you enjoy being baller and tying a simple knot!

Dutchware has a few different options on his site, but there are plenty of other stores that sell similar stuff. That said you can make your own pretty easily if you're crafty and patient (I opted to buy because I was impatient).

I think my suspension weighs like 100g or something g stupid. My whole hammock, tarp, suspension, guy lines, etc weight right around 900g iirc.

Is the advantage of that the weight? Because it looks like you're using way more stuff to do the same job. The straps I posted are apparently heavier than others, but you can clip the hammock directly to it with a carabiner. Your method requires an additional whoopie sling and a toggle as well as tying knots.

Sorry, I'm knew to all this hammock stuff! Since I'm going to be sleeping in it every night for 4+ months, I want something super fast and simple to put up/take down. I STILL don't quite understand what a whoopie sling is for :(

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Yea it's mainly weight! The set up involves more parts, but it's just as quick to hang once you get used to it. It's really the same amount of "stuff", one strap for each tree and I leave the whoopie slings attached to the hammock. Sometimes I hook the whoopie slings over the toggle and sometimes I hook the continuous loops on the hammock and bypass the whoopie depending on the hang.

I used the atlas straps myself when I was starting out and they're awesome. Very easy to set up and adjust. If you don't mind the extra weight they're absolutely fine. You can even use them with a toggle if you wanna shave off the weight of biners! :science:

The main reason I switched was weight. Also my new system is slightly more compact, and it has the potential to reach a much wider spread or go around huge rocks/trees much easier than the atlas straps. Not essential, but nice to be able to.

Both systems work fine, and no matter what you choose it's sure as hell gonna beat sleeping on the ground!

Edit: also re sleeping
A sleeping pad and sleeping bag work just fine in a hammock. It also has the benefit of giving you the option to go to ground if you cant find a suitable hang and sleep under your tarp (especially if you have treking poles to sting up the tarp with). I have no idea how thoroughly you're gonna plan put your 4+ month trip, but having a back up option can't hurt! Just something to consider.

forkbucket fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 11, 2016

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Oh! You should learn about drip lines if you haven't already, they'll keep you dry if you do them right. Atlas straps can work as their own drip lines if you hang em right, but redundancy is king. Haven't had a chance to test my new suspension in heavy downpour yet but the whoopie slings allegedly work as their own drip lines afaik.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Hey, thanks for all that great advice!

I am intrigued by your set up. I was looking at Dutchware, at the Whoopie hook suspension system. Which options would you recommend? There's a baffling amount of choice: what size and material straps? Whoopie sling or whoopie continuous? Do you need head AND foot? 7/64 or 1/8? What does that even mean? Do I need a dutch clip? Can you murder me?

Is the sleeping pad uncomfortable in the hammock? I have images of lying in this nice hammock with a stiff pad underneath and it being awkward.

OK, looks like I just have to tie some simple knots as a drip line. Easy!

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I have an 11-ft darien from dreamhammock that that weighs 21 oz with suspension and bug net. A UQ/TQ system is perfectly valid and I personally prefer it to sleeping bag. Mine are from UGQ since they were the only ones able to deliver on a schedule. I'm happy with them, but I would have preferred EE since a quilt set would have weighted 10 oz less for the same price (and I prefer the aesthetics). EE quilts weigh about 20 oz apiece for full-length 20 degree quilts, UGQ stuff is 25 with an ounce of overstuff and weather-resistant outer shells.

I do need a new tarp, though. I like the idea of a winter tarp because there's like 4-5 months of snow where I currently live, but don't know if it's worth it or not. If I go for a standard silpoly hex or something it would be a comparable weight to what forkbucket has, maybe an ounce or two more. There's next to no backpackers where I live, let alone hammock campers, so I err on the side of comfort over weight savings since if I don't like a purchase I'm prettymuch stuck with it (especially after shipping and duties since i'm not in the uS)

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Alan_Shore posted:

Is the advantage of that the weight? Because it looks like you're using way more stuff to do the same job. The straps I posted are apparently heavier than others, but you can clip the hammock directly to it with a carabiner. Your method requires an additional whoopie sling and a toggle as well as tying knots.

This assumes that you will be spoiled for tree choice. If you just camp wherever in a forested area, no biggy, but if you have to stay in a limited area likely cleared for tents, you are gonna want the ability to extend your anchor lines.

I use Atlas straps to homemade whoopie slings, but I made my slings like 15' each. Overkill for sure but I have almost needed it all.

I will say that I am disappointed with whoopie slings, they are a huge pain to tighten in the rain under the tarp and just not super great in general. I am going to swap them out with some kind of laser-cut titanium widget that lets me get some mechanical advantage and easily make small adjustments. I am also going to redo my tarp suspension with much shorter line, the think zingit I used tangles like a motherfucker and I am willing to carry a bit more weight to switch to a shorter permanent rig with some spares carried to extend it if needed. I also want a larger tarp, while I have weathered some good sized storms with the stock Hennessy one, I have no faith every time I set it up and the first time I gently caress it up and get a face full of rain is gonna suck so badly. I also want a tarp big enough to dress/cook under for rain reasons.

EDIT: Dude just use what you have a bunch until it fails you, unless you really want to make gear fetishism a hobby, cool out and just sleep in the thing a lot. Don't go down the road of fussy weirdo right away.

bongwizzard fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Nov 11, 2016

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Guest2553 posted:

I have an 11-ft darien from dreamhammock that that weighs 21 oz with suspension and bug net. A UQ/TQ system is perfectly valid and I personally prefer it to sleeping bag. Mine are from UGQ since they were the only ones able to deliver on a schedule. I'm happy with them, but I would have preferred EE since a quilt set would have weighted 10 oz less for the same price (and I prefer the aesthetics). EE quilts weigh about 20 oz apiece for full-length 20 degree quilts, UGQ stuff is 25 with an ounce of overstuff and weather-resistant outer shells.

I have seen EE on my research adventures, but drat am I really going to be spending $400+ on quilts? I really have to think about this. I guess I will be sleeping in it for 4+ months though, and I much prefer the idea of having a quilt on top instead of a sleeping bag, but then again, maybe some nights I won't be able to use my hammock and I'll be screwed with my quilts? Ah!

bongwizzard posted:

This assumes that you will be spoiled for tree choice. If you just camp wherever in a forested area, no biggy, but if you have to stay in a limited area likely cleared for tents, you are gonna want the ability to extend your anchor lines.

I use Atlas straps to homemade whoopie slings, but I made my slings like 15' each. Overkill for sure but I have almost needed it all.

EDIT: Dude just use what you have a bunch until it fails you, unless you really want to make gear fetishism a hobby, cool out and just sleep in the thing a lot. Don't go down the road of fussy weirdo right away.

Well I'll be hiking the AT, so I should be spoiled for tree choice! Everything I've read seems to say that you can hammock every night.

I don't get your edit though. I'm going on the AT, I can't just buy some random things and "cool out". I don't haven anything yet, so I can't really "just use what you have." And I really don't want anything to fail me on the trail, because buying more poo poo might be a pain! I'd rather just get it right the first time, as best I can. A crazy concept, for sure.

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Alan_Shore posted:

Hey, thanks for all that great advice!

I am intrigued by your set up. I was looking at Dutchware, at the Whoopie hook suspension system. Which options would you recommend? There's a baffling amount of choice: what size and material straps? Whoopie sling or whoopie continuous? Do you need head AND foot? 7/64 or 1/8? What does that even mean? Do I need a dutch clip? Can you murder me?

I wasn't really too hip on the whoopie hook system, so I have whoopie slings that I looped straight onto the continuous loops at the end of the hammock with a larks head. I went for bare bones nylon straps too, cause the cinch buckles seemed unnecessary. I enjoy tying knots though, so the marlin spike thing is right up my alley. I do use the Dutch clips when I loop around the tree. You can use the clip for good momentum when you whip the strap around the tree and it makes adding an extra loop or two around the tree much easier than if you thread the strap through the loop on the end. It's not necessary, just convenient.

The 1/8 and 7/64 refer to the thickness (in inches) of the amsteel blue rope the slings are made from. They have slightly different max weight tolerances, but they're so strong it's not really much of an issue. You need head and foot because you need one suspension for either side of the hammock.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Cool, thanks! That's given me more to think about. Gonna research knots and compare weights!

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Alan_Shore posted:

I have seen EE on my research adventures, but drat am I really going to be spending $400+ on quilts? I really have to think about this. I guess I will be sleeping in it for 4+ months though, and I much prefer the idea of having a quilt on top instead of a sleeping bag, but then again, maybe some nights I won't be able to use my hammock and I'll be screwed with my quilts? Ah!

For down, yes. EE is one of the more affordable makers of good quality down quilts as well. The bottom third of many top quilts can be tied or snapped together to create a footbox which is all you need if you go to ground. Down underneath you can't loft and won't keep you warm, so quilts are generally more versatile than sleeping bags while being significantly lighter. The flipside of this is that an underquilt won't keep you warm on the ground either, you'd need some sort of pad between yourself and the ground.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Alan_Shore posted:

I don't get your edit though. I'm going on the AT, I can't just buy some random things and "cool out". I don't haven anything yet, so I can't really "just use what you have." And I really don't want anything to fail me on the trail, because buying more poo poo might be a pain! I'd rather just get it right the first time, as best I can. A crazy concept, for sure.

Oh my bad, I though you had already bought a hammock and were looking at mods/sleeping stuff. But in any case for sure allow some time to test gear in the yard or what ever. If you want simple and tested, buy a Hennessy and use the stock hanging method. If you grow to hate it then it is easy to switch out even at a camp site, assuming you can find a way to get a package in a town or something. Dealing with splicing and all that is kind fun if you are into rope/knot poo poo but it isnt super necessary.

But for real don't skimp on the bedding. I have been fighting getting a quilt set for the last two seasons and have frozen my nuts off more often then not. Every pad I have tried works until I shift in the slightest. Maybe a bag with a pad retainer would be better, but for me the appeal of the hammock is 100% comfort and I have yet to find something more comfortable then a hammock with an opened-up bag used like a blanket. It is amazing in the warmer months and going back to a mummy bag in the colder times pisses me off every time I try and do it.

forkbucket posted:

The 1/8 and 7/64 refer to the thickness (in inches) of the amsteel blue rope the slings are made from. They have slightly different max weight tolerances, but they're so strong it's not really much of an issue. You need head and foot because you need one suspension for either side of the hammock.

I find the thinner amsteel to be very hard to get a grip on with wet hands and even the 1/8 is thin enough to be a pain. I really am starting to dislike the whoopee sling idea all together though and have some likely bad ideas about 3/8 webbing and a buckle so maybe I am just dumb.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
The stitching on the footbox of my gen1 Enigma from EE started to fail like 8 months after I bought the thing and leak down. They paid for shipping both ways and repaired + reinforced it free of charge.

If the CAD wasn't so deep in the poo poo I'd buy the new model Enigma in a heartbeat, because that's some serious dedication to customer satisfaction from a cottage producer.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Anyone have a good instructional on how to pitch a hammock tarp? My ridgeline is always interfering with me hammocks suspension unless I hang the tarp super high. If I hang it super high, it doesn't really wrap around and provide any kind of wind blockage.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

eSporks posted:

Anyone have a good instructional on how to pitch a hammock tarp? My ridgeline is always interfering with me hammocks suspension unless I hang the tarp super high. If I hang it super high, it doesn't really wrap around and provide any kind of wind blockage.

I never really found a good instruction , but what I worked out was to hang the tarp below the hammock straps. I use a long rear end line with a movable inline tensioner/cleat so that I can hang the tarp with a really really long "u" so the hammock suspension line can move inside of the "U" as I thrash about.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

This site has some good drawings on how to rig a tarp:
http://theultimatehang.com/2012/11/video-using-continuous-ridge-lines-with-a-tarp/

Don't get hung up on the fancy titanium hardware. You don't need much, if any, of it if you are good with knots. Otherwise some caribiners and figure 9s are something you can find anywhere.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Just got back from the Smoky Mountains in Tennessee.

Had no trouble finding a campsite at 9AM on Friday; I easily got a prime spot next to the river. The entire place never filled up the entire weekend:

My first stop was Clingman's dome, which is on the AT and you can drive within a half mile to. There are lots of tourists on a paved path up, but the views were at least worth it. There is also a non-paved trail that parallels the tourist train up the last part of the mountain which was literally empty, silent and not exposed to the wind. The Smokies were true to their name, generally due to a variety of forest fires in the distance in NC. The entire park smelled like smoke and Christmas when it the pine forests.

After Clingman's Dome, I took a hike down the AT and eventually over to Andrew's Bald. There were a reasonably amount of people there, but still enjoyable. Took a mini-nap and extended lunch there since it was warm in the sun. Again, you can see the fires in the distance:

The next day I took a day hike down to Charlie's Bunion and the Jump Off, also on (and next to) the AT. The trail was decently traveled, though not as much as Andrew's Bald. About a half dozen people at the Bunion, four miles along a rolling ridge:

Next I decided to do a bit of an ill-thought out loop to get off of and back to the AT and the trail head. Trail decended down from the AT on the ridge to the Kephart shelter next to a stream. It was a nice decent with some (dryer) stream crossings along the way. I saw one person (also hiking alone and staying at the shelter) along the ~7-8 miles of the detour, in stark comparison with about 10-20 on the AT to the Bunion. Amazing how it thins out like that on the side trails.

However I underestimated the elevation drop (and subsequent gain). Apparently there was a reason nobody was doing my itinerary. The trail down was pleasant, the trail up was less so, especially that late in the day. Overall it was a bit of a strenuous day of ~14.5 miles, but doable. I prefer to do my climbing first and descending later in the day. Also always the problem with any trail in Shenandoah starting from Skyline Drive.

If I did it again, I would have hiked to the Kephart shelter and camped there. I was worried to sleep in the backcountry do to being by myself, but there were 3-4 other people staying there which I didn't account for. The shelters were nice, aside from someone leaving his hot chocolate out after they left. They also have pre-suspended bear bag cables:

Regardless, it was a nice weekend for my first time to GSMNP. Almost wish it was a bit wetter, the place needs it. Gatlinburg is also all that is wrong with America.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Those are some great pictures. Really makes me look forward to the AT next year! Thanks for posting.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Just got back from the Smoky Mountains in Tennessee.

Nice pictures. I've done all those hikes, but not that loop and now you know why. When we went to the Bunion and Jump Off, we went back the way we came. By your map I assume you went to Kephart from the Bunion and back-up Sweat Heifer Creek trail to the AT? Also what app is that or did you use a separate GPS?

How bad was the smoke? I haven't been in the last couple of weeks, but I've heard certain parts are bad. They even closed Chimneys yesterday due to a fire near the summit. It might rain Saturday finally, but I just read today they think the drought will continue into the spring.

Agree with you about Gatlinburg, but I know every backway into the Smokies to avoid that whole area.

When you come back I would still strongly suggest Mt Cammerer and Mt LeConte. Both are all climb for the first half and all downhill the second half. You remember the trail you briefly walked on before turning at the Jump Off called the Boulevard? Take that to Mt LeConte and come down Alum Cave Trail. You will not regret it. Just hitchhike back-up to the parking lot at Newfound Gap (trust me it is super easy to get a ride, just don't let Dexter pick you up). If not just do Alum Cave up and back.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

With the crazy warm weather I've been able to get in some late-season hikes. After the shitshow that was Pictured Rocks on Labor Day, I went for much more secluded hikes. Cool Trivia : The Park Service employs tow trucks to tow idiots who parked like assholes and brings the vehicles to end of where everyone else has parked. So when you get done hiking, and think your car is stolen, you'll really find it a mile down the road.

The first was the McCormick Wilderness. It was a short 3 miles in, that turned into bushwhacking in order to dodge beaver dam rampage. About a quarter mile of trail was pretty well flooded. The North Country Trail also follows this section through. The site of the old resort was interesting. But we ended up having more fun picking through the old trash pile and finding crazy old beer cans.

The Peshekee River, it dumps into Lake Michigamme.

This was the foundation of a very massive building. Maybe 4,000 square feet or so. When the McCormick family gave it to the State, all of the buildings got torn down. The guest cottages were all on an island with a ferry boat running to it.

The kitchen / dining area looked like something out of the Blair Witch Project.

Next up was the Craig Lake State Park, about 10 miles west of the McCormick Tract. This was a 6.5 mile loop that felt like it was only three. Very easy, though some of the trail markings were sketchy. There's two cabins on the lake that you can rent from the State, both were very nice. They also have two yurts nearby for rent too. I'm going to do some winter camping there.

The North Country Trail.

The trail was either like this, or rolling hardwoods.

I crossed this sweet bridge on the back side of Craig Lake.

Unfortunately I didn't get any sweet MapMyHike trail maps like Cheesemaster200.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

nate fisher posted:

Nice pictures. I've done all those hikes, but not that loop and now you know why. When we went to the Bunion and Jump Off, we went back the way we came. By your map I assume you went to Kephart from the Bunion and back-up Sweat Heifer Creek trail to the AT? Also what app is that or did you use a separate GPS?

How bad was the smoke? I haven't been in the last couple of weeks, but I've heard certain parts are bad. They even closed Chimneys yesterday due to a fire near the summit. It might rain Saturday finally, but I just read today they think the drought will continue into the spring.

Yep, that is the exact route I took. Looked reasonable on the map, but I have the large format version of the entire park so it was hard to really judge the elevation difference. I just use the Runkeeper app on my phone, which I also use for running. Surprisingly accurate for having no cell or wifi service. Used ~50% of my battery to track that itinerary over 5-6 hours.

The smoke was just a haze for the most part; you didn't really notice it unless you were looking from a vista. Aside from the smell that is.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

A question about water filtration: I'm thinking about one of these - https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Produ...lter&th=1&psc=1

I don't like the idea of treating the water as you have to wait to drink, it doesn't remove debris and it might give the water an odd taste. So I'm thinking I can just pair that with a 2L Platypus water sack and I'm good. I don't need to treat water when I boil it for coffee/oatmeal so that little device sound amazing.

EDIT: For my AT thru-hike

Alan_Shore fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Nov 15, 2016

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Alan_Shore posted:

A question about water filtration: I'm thinking about one of these - https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Produ...lter&th=1&psc=1

I don't like the idea of treating the water as you have to wait to drink, it doesn't remove debris and it might give the water an odd taste. So I'm thinking I can just pair that with a 2L Platypus water sack and I'm good. I don't need to treat water when I boil it for coffee/oatmeal so that little device sound amazing.

EDIT: For my AT thru-hike

I have this and I really like it. Super light and small but filters reasonably quickly.

I haven't had any problems with mine yet but some people have complained that they can get kind of clogged if overused and the stream can slow way down, so for something as long as the AT you may need to be prepared to replace it at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

gohuskies posted:

I have this and I really like it. Super light and small but filters reasonably quickly.

I haven't had any problems with mine yet but some people have complained that they can get kind of clogged if overused and the stream can slow way down, so for something as long as the AT you may need to be prepared to replace it at some point.

Cool, that sounds great! I'll keep an eye on the clogging, maybe I can carry an extra/spare filters.

Another piece finalised!