Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Kontradaz posted:

You can upgrade the armor??? Can I give kills in shadows a new hide too

Same way you upgrade equipment at a Spire forge.

K-I-S isn't gonna out tank Barik but maybe if I set her up to be more powerful while wounded she could be useful.

wiegieman posted:

Not having Barik's armor level with him was a mistake as I see it, because you have to sink a ton of upgrade material that could be making masterwork weapons into it whereas everybody else can just put on better armor.

Having what seems like 2 tanky characters not be able to equip armour seems like a bigger mistake.

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Nov 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

Golden Goat posted:

Same way you upgrade equipment at a Spire forge.

K-I-S isn't gonna out tank Barik but maybe if I set her up to be more powerful while wounded she could be useful.

How do I upgrade stuff at the Forge? All I can do is buy recruits.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Kontradaz posted:

How do I upgrade stuff at the Forge? All I can do is buy recruits.

Click the anvils that's there, use tab to spot it.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

What is the deal with the Crossing's Spire and its puzzle?

(I can't find the third piece of the rune if that is worth anything)

Also, is there any proper quest progression or I can do whatever?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Transmetropolitan posted:

What is the deal with the Crossing's Spire and its puzzle?

(I can't find the third piece of the rune if that is worth anything)

Also, is there any proper quest progression or I can do whatever?

I guessed from what it gave you. Only found 2 markings to figure it out myself.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Well had to reload a save that was about 3 hours away but managed to break all the edicts on the independent path.

Feels good.

Thanks to the goons that steered me straight.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

Golden Goat posted:

Click the anvils that's there, use tab to spot it.

I see no anvils

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Dialogue trees would be improved if every single one of them had [Glare Silently] as an option and also an added "I'm kind of a big deal." option.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

That's not the forge, that's the home base spire. You need to actually travel there once you unlock it.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Kontradaz posted:

I see no anvils

That's your first spire, a forge/library/infirmary/training ground is only possible to build with spire 2+

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Kontradaz posted:

I see no anvils

You'll need a spire with the forge upgrade

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Ahh I see, thanks all.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Golden Goat posted:

What about upgrading his rusty armour

That's a thing? I'm over 20 hours into this stupid game haha

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
So Act 3 spoilers
I notice there are five slots for castable Edicts. I have Fire, Stone, and Storm. I also got Nightfall from Bleden Mark...what's the fifth?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Golden Goat posted:

I guessed from what it gave you. Only found 2 markings to figure it out myself.

Done it! Just realized was looking at it from the wrong perspective haha

How do I get to unlock the hall, though? I looked everywhere in the crossing and nothing. Perhaps later on?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Hey ropekid, can you ask around and find out specifically what the penalty would be for for "oathbreaking" under Kyros law?

Like are the rebels classified as as an enemy force, and thus just must be removed entirely/conquered?

Are they considered citizens of the Empire? If so is the punishment less severe, like jail time/loss of a hand or something?
I assume it's death, but I really wish this came with a primer of Kyros law so we can be the most rigid judge.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Barik is just getting annihilated now I started act 2 :( Then the rest of my party get destroyed.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Captain Oblivious posted:

So Act 3 spoilers
I notice there are five slots for castable Edicts. I have Fire, Stone, and Storm. I also got Nightfall from Bleden Mark...what's the fifth?

There's Edict research at the library spire (eventually.)

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

wiegieman posted:

There's Edict research at the library spire (eventually.)

Huh. Weird, I never noticed.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I've bought in to this on the basis of good reviews and interest in the story premise. Any advice for a complete novice to the entire genre of cRPGs?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Carecat posted:

Barik is just getting annihilated now I started act 2 :( Then the rest of my party get destroyed.

It'll pass in like 2 levels.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

MiddleOne posted:

It'll pass in like 2 levels.

Because you stop playing.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Carecat posted:

Did they say if they plan to do an expansion like White March?
They sort of go out of their way to describe an archon general coming at you whom we never see. Whenever a game does that it's a pretty good indicator that they're being planned for DLC

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Kontradaz posted:

Because you stop playing.

No really, check my post history. One of my first posts after I actually got the game running was me complaining about how the early act 2 enemies insta-gib your team.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Wait is act 2 after the first spire?

Cause Barik's having no problems handling like 3 guys at a time.

Everybody's playing on hard aren't they?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

I've bought in to this on the basis of good reviews and interest in the story premise. Any advice for a complete novice to the entire genre of cRPGs?
Depends on what you want out of the game. If you want to be dropped into the deep end of combat and learn your way around it, play on normal difficulty. If you just want to make pretty lights and own poo poo, play on easy. Easy difficulty also forgoes the need to keep track of consumables and equipment upgrades almost entirely. I drank a potion twice in about 30 hours of play, and I probably didn't even need to do that.

In terms of story, that also depends on what you want out of the game - do you want more-or-less direct control over how you're received by people, manipulating them into liking or hating you? There's an option that shows you in advance what reputation effects a given dialogue choice will have (though it's not always forthcoming - sometimes an action choice like "[glare silently]" or "[punch him in the face]" will have effects they don't announce in advance). Alternatively, you can forgo that option, act according to what feels right in the moment, and let the consequences come. You can double down by enabling Trial of Iron mode, where you only get one save that doesn't allow you to redo anything and gets deleted when you die. That's what I did, but I would highly recommend doing that on easy difficulty. The game just sort of plays itself outside of the choices and dialogue.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Golden Goat posted:

Normal here! I don't get the discrepancy in experiences... I mean the Burning Library right after you get the spire was like a 7-8/10 difficulty (a few of the mobs def took 5 or so tries to get done by skin of teeth)

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Kontradaz posted:

Normal here! I don't get the discrepancy in experiences... I mean the Burning Library right after you get the spire was like a 7-8/10 difficulty (a few of the mobs def took 5 or so tries to get done by skin of teeth)

I'm sorting out poo poo in the Crossing so I've got to be a chunk before that I think (don't think the burning library's been mentioned yet).

Here's an annoying thing: Pathfinding deciding to take the long way around a group and getting engaged and stabbed like morons.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Golden Goat posted:

Normal, whether you head to the crossing or the library the first few encounters will wreck your team if you aren't using almost every resource at your disposal.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I'm wanting to know a good build to play someone who can gently caress poo poo up and take names. Honestly don't want to really get into the details of all the stats and what they do and figuring out an "optimal" build or whatever.

I want to play the game. Have fun. Kill poo poo and be a suave motherfucker. At least on my first playthrough.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Play on easy.

Rookersh posted:

For those who have played the Rebel path, is there a way to basically say "No you still all work for Kyros, and are a part of their Empire. I just feel as though the Disfavored and Chorus aren't doing their jobs so you are the new army that'll occupy the Tiers for Kyros."

Or is it pretty much blanket rah rah fight the Empire?
I mean they make it pretty clear that they're going to fight to the death to remain free of Kyros' rule. It's not like Ashe and Voices were failing to win over the rebels because they lacked a light touch.

In other words

quote:

It's funny to me that the possibility people were clamoring for the most, in terms of character concepts / choice avenues, was "guy who fully believes in the system".

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

Normal, whether you head to the crossing or the library the first few encounters will wreck your team if you aren't using almost every resource at your disposal.

I'm using items a fair bit, like for healing cause they're all instant. Otherwise I just switch the party AI and let them do their thing unless it's dumb and Verse has decided to run off to the most dangerous thing alone.

I kinda only want to focus on my own character so I mostly control him and work as an off-tank.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Affi posted:

I'm wanting to know a good build to play someone who can gently caress poo poo up and take names. Honestly don't want to really get into the details of all the stats and what they do and figuring out an "optimal" build or whatever.

I want to play the game. Have fun. Kill poo poo and be a suave motherfucker. At least on my first playthrough.

For what it's worth, I did a mage dude and I currently hate it and all my spells do piss poor damage. This is currently my strongest spell and it has a 1 minute and 30 second cooldown:

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Kontradaz posted:

For what it's worth, I did a mage dude and I currently hate it and all my spells do piss poor damage. This is currently my strongest spell and it has a 1 minute and 30 second cooldown:

Yeah ball lightning kind of sucks in my opinion outside of some very specific situations, my first playthrough was as a mage starting with double shock and I pretty much just stuck with the default close-range spell options for every elemental sigil I found, and then used the ranged versions when I got them later in the game. There's also an accent group which decreases the cooldown time, don't remember exactly when you get access to it but I think it was relatively early on.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
For difficulty changes. Are you guys making sure everyone has a heal spell? Even the non casters can get the touch heal spell. (all my guys have 2 heals and lantry is just healing)

Also Lantry and Main char have amazing ability to heal everyone in large aoe every fight and give haste, use it all the time forever. (look at those combo abilities only some are per rest, others are per combat and use them a lot!)

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Draynar posted:

For difficulty changes. Are you guys making sure everyone has a heal spell? Even the non casters can get the touch heal spell. (all my guys have 2 heals and lantry is just healing)

Also Lantry and Main char have amazing ability to heal everyone in large aoe every fight and give haste, use it all the time forever.

You can actually miss out on the heal core in act 1 if you aren't paying attention. :v:

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

MiddleOne posted:

You can actually miss out on the heal core in act 1 if you aren't paying attention. :v:

How? I got mine by badgering lantry to teach me, will he not teach you later?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

Literally why i'm primarily using potions at the moment. They're instant anyway which is a boon.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
The best part of the anarchy path is that everyone refuses to work with you and attacks and then the next guys attack because you killed the previous guys and it's an neverending circle of violence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Junkozeyne posted:

The best part of the anarchy path is that everyone refuses to work with you and attacks and then the next guys attack because you killed the previous guys and it's an neverending circle of violence.

To be honest I did pick that path because it seemed like the best and most rewarding (but hard as gently caress too due to the dwindling # of allies)

• Locked thread