Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Finally caught up on the latest episode. I was hoping that Bernard wasn't a host, but the way it was handled, I think it works out perfectly. The real question now is how much the Board knows about Dr. Ford's plans and just let him have his way. It seems pretty clear that both of them using the term "a blood sacrifice" isn't a coincidence. Also interesting that this time they said "forty" years instead of thirty. "What door?" was maybe a little on the nose, but I still liked it as the final confirmation on Bernard's host status. Lots of crazy ways things can go from here.

Here's what Aiden says about "ghost nation"

quote:

Ghost Nation Territory is only recommended for expert gameplayers; their storylines intersect with some of the most thrilling in the park, but they’re also the most difficult to access. Trust and respect are the keys to their inner circle.

e: looks like they got the greenlight for a second season :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Bicyclops posted:

The real question now is how much the Board knows about Dr. Ford's plans and just let him have his way. It seems pretty clear that both of them using the term "a blood sacrifice" isn't a coincidence.

I took it as an implication that Ford spied on them via Hector.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Lycus posted:

I took it as an implication that Ford spied on them via Hector.

Yea this is clear

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011
So Bernard was a host and now we will have to endure all those theories which will make pretty much everyone a host (I already saw that horrible theory of the two lab dweebs being hosts popping up again). That's why I still had the hope they wouldn't go there. To me this whole twist is already starting to undermine the more interesting questions so I can just hope once again that they don't overuse this plot device.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
God the "what door?" reveal was episodes in the making and so good.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I doubt it's going to happen much. Bernard should be 'the' secret host plot.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Fooz posted:

I doubt it's going to happen much. Bernard should be 'the' secret host plot.

Agreed. They'd be jumping the shark if fuckin' everyone in the control room is a secret host.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

The scene in episode 10 where Maeve's rebellion is causing all hell to break loose and Ford walks into the control room and every single person in there freezes in place.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I feel like you get one "person you thought was real is actually a host" for the entire series. They used it well, but the show probably needs to go a new direction after S1 other than "are they or aren't they?"

Following in hallowed footsteps, I think the big name actor dies in E9 after discovering he doesn't have nearly as much control as he thinks, and E10 sets up the rest of the show. Maybe a giant civil war between corporate vs hosts while the maze is the through-line for the entire series.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Did Stubbs know the Clementine show was fake, or did Theresa just risk his life?

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

Blind Rasputin posted:

One thing that bothers me is the conversation Ford had with Bernard about not pursuing his exploration of the robot sentience. Ford knew he was interested in it and meeting with Delores. So Ford warned him off using Arnold as an example. In hindsight now it is really weird. Like one, why even have this conversation unless Bernard is so autonomous that he's able to explore these things independently. Or, Ford WANTS him to do it and was reverse psychology like encouraging him. Or, Bernard is robo-Arnold and Ford tired of seeing Arnold behavior repeat itself. If it was the first or this later possibility, why didn't Ford just robo-command him not to?

That conversation just doesn't fit very well.

Remember, Ford doesn't /want/ them to be sentient. He wants to keep them all pure and unhindered by the needs of self-awareness. We got that back in the first flashback and information dump about the start of the park and Arnold.

Also, Ford straight up quoting Mary Shelly in that teaser, goddamn.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Huxley posted:

Following in hallowed footsteps, I think the big name actor dies in E9 after discovering he doesn't have nearly as much control as he thinks, and E10 sets up the rest of the show. Maybe a giant civil war between corporate vs hosts while the maze is the through-line for the entire series.
Ford definitely has a lot of hubris, he doesn't seem to think the hosts will ever hurt him.

When Abernathy told him he wanted to meet his maker his reaction was mild amusement. Even when Abernathy went completely off script and physically grabbed him, Ford didn't seem to give a poo poo. In hindsight, maybe that's because Bernard was there and he knew his Samaritan protocols would kick in.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Holy poo poo, it immediately dawned on me that Bernard is a host when they showed his son with all the old 90s medical equipment in the background. That scene happened a long, long time ago, love the attention to detail.

Bernard is modeled after Arnold, right? Is there anything that would contradict this?

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Holy poo poo, it immediately dawned on me that Bernard is a host when they showed his son with all the old 90s medical equipment in the background. That scene happened a long, long time ago, love the attention to detail.

Bernard is modeled after Arnold, right? Is there anything that would contradict this?

I think he probably is, because of the photograph. Why else would Arnold's image be blocked for Bernard?

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Every time there's a scene with Maeve and the two chucklehead engineers I wonder why she has the upper hand in these interactions and why those two don't just wipe her. I get that Felix (?) has a certain attraction and sympathy with her, but she really has no power over them if they just stop letting her pick up more and more memories, and/or report her upwards.

It's the only thing in the show that makes me scratch my head.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mike N Eich posted:

Every time there's a scene with Maeve and the two chucklehead engineers I wonder why she has the upper hand in these interactions and why those two don't just wipe her. I get that Felix (?) has a certain attraction and sympathy with her, but she really has no power over them if they just stop letting her pick up more and more memories, and/or report her upwards.

It's the only thing in the show that makes me scratch my head.

Because the plot demands them to be dumb as gently caress.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

DoctorGonzo posted:

I hope wee see Clementine again.

At least she is in the cold place now :sadwave:

She was, if there is no return, a character who really could have done more in the show.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Also, have you ever had to work with the people that low on the totem pole?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

They don't have the ability to just wipe her without getting into major trouble. Maeve is manipulating them into going along with her plan by exploiting their fear, and in Felix's case, curiosity and attachment. They don't have the ability or foresight to plan ahead. They're just trying to not drown.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I think my favorite thing about the host/human relationships is that it seems like (baring Sizemore, Elsie sometimes, and other particularly violent guests like Logan) the hosts are mostly more emotional than the humans. Everyone maintains a professional atmosphere in the executive circle and the smart ones keep their thoughts to themselves. For all that we've known Bernard as a "human", he's come off as very detached and unemotional, except when he's in a situation that confuses him. Now that we know he's a host, he looks much more emotional in the previews.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

You should read the OSHA thread.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I guess it's just a bridge too far with my sense of disbelief when there are just so few safeguards in place then. I can wave a lot away for the butchers being stupid, selfish and cowardly but I'd just imagine there'd be some very easy ways to prevent stuff like that from happening. But just like Jurassic Park, part of the point of this show is demonstrating that human hubris never gets in the way of poo poo just loving up.

I don't know why don't have GPS locators lodged up the butts of every single host though, which meant that whole episode hunting for the woodcutter wouldn't have needed to happen

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

You should read the OSHA thread.

Their escape plan will involve driving under a bridge that only has clearance for 11 feet 8 inches and their truck will get stuck.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LinkesAuge posted:

I already saw that horrible theory of the two lab dweebs being hosts popping up again

Why shouldn't the lab techs be hosts? It's been suggested several times that being a lab tech is not a very skilled or high-paying position, hosts are basically slave labor, I would think most things that could be done by hosts would be.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Have the previews to the next episode routinely feature scenes that are not interested the actual next episode?

I swear that the episode six preview had a shot of Logan holding Dolores by the neck and kicking her cheek, but I can't recall that ever appearing.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Have the previews to the next episode routinely feature scenes that are not in the actual next episode?

I swear that the episode six preview had a shot of Logan holding Dolores by the neck and licking her cheek, but I can't recall that ever appearing.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Misdirection you say? In this show?

Well, I never! I will draft a sternly worded letter post haste!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mike N Eich posted:

I guess it's just a bridge too far with my sense of disbelief when there are just so few safeguards in place then. I can wave a lot away for the butchers being stupid, selfish and cowardly but I'd just imagine there'd be some very easy ways to prevent stuff like that from happening. But just like Jurassic Park, part of the point of this show is demonstrating that human hubris never gets in the way of poo poo just loving up.

I don't know why don't have GPS locators lodged up the butts of every single host though, which meant that whole episode hunting for the woodcutter wouldn't have needed to happen

You'd think so but then again the USAF has mixed up training and live nuclear missiles in the past and transported them across the US without knowing anything was missing until they went to unload the missiles.

Nothing bad has happened in 30 years. Complacency probably set in 29 years and 11 months ago. Besides, giving a gently caress would require spending more time and money and why do that when you can have bigger dividends.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Some of the previews are "in the weeks ahead" previews rather than "next week" previews.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Watching Maeve walk to work was amazing this episode. You could see the host newcomers bump into right after getting off the train get in a shootout, and just stop while the guest fumbled his pistol out before shooting him. It's probably happened a million times, but this time Maeve noticed the little things. Now I'm wondering if we can trust anything they show us from the hosts perspective.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
solid ep

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Have the previews to the next episode routinely feature scenes that are not interested the actual next episode?

I swear that the episode six preview had a shot of Logan holding Dolores by the neck and kicking her cheek, but I can't recall that ever appearing.

That doesn't look like anything to me.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

I like how we literally can't see a door until it's pointed out.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I didn't spend half an hour last night putting this together to get it overlooked :mad:

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Three Olives posted:

Why shouldn't the lab techs be hosts? It's been suggested several times that being a lab tech is not a very skilled or high-paying position, hosts are basically slave labor, I would think most things that could be done by hosts would be.

Because it defeats the purpose of the show and it is made clear that the tech isn't so widespread or used in such a way. So someone would have to intentionally setup this whole scenario with the two of them for some reason. That might have worked in Bernard's case (and it seems obvious that there is even more to it) but not for two random lab workers.
You can argue all day that they would be cheap and effective "slave labor" but then there wouldn't be any reason to deceive their human co-workers (especially considering the security risks) nor would there be any reason why this never comes up as something people talk about. Bernard ist obviously a secret of Ford but if everyone becomes a "secret robot" it starts to stretch the credibility of the story. This doesn't make it impossible for them or anyone else to also be robots but randomly saying it in everyone's case is just throwing poo poo at the wall and see what sticks.
It's not really a "theory", it's just crying wolf. They played their "secret robot" card and it was a major character, no need to dilute that with making every random human a secret robot.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I'd been suspecting bernandroid, and when the camera panned off-center of them to highlight the blank wall I knew things were heating up.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

I wonder who the woman who bernard was skyping a few episodes ago. Is he a copy of a real man who had a real wife? Does she think she's talking to the man she knew? Was it all just going on in his head?

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I am having a hard time believing Bernard is Arnold, at least by appearances. There are absolutely no images of someone who should be rather famous, no matter what kind of hermit he was? Such an unnecessary risk for Ford to take.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

I wonder who the woman who bernard was skyping a few episodes ago. Is he a copy of a real man who had a real wife? Does she think she's talking to the man she knew? Was it all just going on in his head?

She could be a host too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

That was specifically a "In the weeks ahead" preview.

Most of the previews specifically say "On the next Westworld" or whatever.

• Locked thread