Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Banner drawn by twitter user @Awrysquare

Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories is a 2007/2008 remake of the Gameboy Advance title of the same name (sans Re:). The game was originally released in Japan in 2004, while Re:CoM came alongside a re-release of Kingdom Hearts II in Japan and in the US as a stand-alone title. Developed by Square-Enix, it is a action card strategy game that does neither well, slipping into both genres like a clown with a pie on his face who's continually slipping on a banana peel. Meant as a direct sequel to the previous game, this story continues the adventures of Sora, Donald and Goofo, introducing them to a new set of villains and also a ton of recycled content. Both the remake and the GBA version received positive reviews, although the most of the acclaim was in regards to the GBA version's presentation, with many finding its combat system unwieldy. The game sold 1.55 million copies worldwide.

Hi, my name is FutureFriend and I loving am eh about this game but yet love the dumb series that is continuing with this. Along with me, my buddies ChorpSaway, killeremcee and a_raving_loon will be going along this crazy adventure designed for people who think a royal flush is just a bit too out there for them. ChorpSaway played bits and pieces of it, while killeremcee and a_raving_loon are pretty much blind to it. I'm the only one who's finished this game and I'm the poorer for it. We'll be providing cut and uncut versions if you want to experience the voiced cutscenes by yourself.

For this LP, we'll be playing the PS2 remake, of which there is a upscaled version on the KH1.5 HD Remix Collection. Don't worry, it's not that much different from the GBA one besides moving to a 3D plane!

Hey, didn't you do a LP of the first game, ya bozo?
That's right! I highly recommend checking that out if you haven't already, because we'll sure to reference back to it or our opinions on it.

Are you going to show off all the cards or sleights?
There are too many cards, I do not like this game, I refuse.

1. No Spoilers! If we haven't seen it yet, don't talk about it. The previous thread went kinda wild with it, so I'd like to keep it on the downlow this time. Don't do that vague wink wink poo poo either! Not even in spoiler tags.
2. Don't talk about other games (besides Kingdom Hearts 1!) Basicly a extension of the first rule, but I'd still like this thread to be accessible to blind folks! Talking about Kingdom Hearts 1 is fine, though, especially as a relating point to this game.
3. No Yu-Gi-Oh jokes. Everyone has heard your Heart of the Cards joke buddy, I ain't wanna hear it again.

KillerEmcee sprited this. He hasn't told me why.

The Ayshkerbundy drew these. I have no lovely joke for them besides that I love them.

here are The Ayksherbundy's original character "The Don" and "Goff"

its The Ayksherbundy once again coming at ya

uhm yea, i got nothing for this. its by The Ayksherbundy

The Ayksherbundy, 2017

FutureFriend fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer Emcee
May 19, 2010

"Looks like your angel has misplaced her halo."
Old Man Sora approves of this thread:

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Super excited for this. The KH1 LP was amazing.

ScurvyKip
May 15, 2009

Look Rubedo, I'm free!
I don't blame you for not showing off everything in this, because this game is trash. I really enjoyed your KH1 Lp, so I'm tuning in!

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
I never played this one so I've been looking forward to this. Why'd they call the remake "Regarding" Chain of Memories?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I also really enjoyed the KH1 LP. It was funny as hell, so count me in on the ground floor for this.

Maybe I'll finally get to see just where this game goes, because it's always been a blind spot of mine.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I've never played this but keep hearing mixed opinions of it's gameplay. I can already tell the story is gonna be loving dumb, so I'll find some enjoyment either way. :munch:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I liked the story of this one, but the gameplay always looked like total rear end.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Color Printer posted:

I liked the story of this one, but the gameplay always looked like total rear end.

Yeah, when I played the GBA version of this, I remember thinking the dialogue and everything was pretty decent.

Bosses later on constantly kicked my rear end though.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Welcome to The Manor of Plot Contrivance, please check your Firaga, Ultimate Weapon, morph ball, and double jump boots with the cloak room attendant.

The fact that the cloak room attendant is wearing a cloak does not mean he's Heartless or whatever, just a perfectly normal human who will return your items later.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Now 15 year old me will get some closure in finally understanding what the gently caress was happening in KHII since I never played this game.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

FutureFriend posted:

Don't worry, it's not that much different from the GBA one besides moving to a 3D plane!

I felt like the console version makes the gameplay way worse, taking it from kind of mindless fun to total annoyance entirely because you have to maneuver around big 3D areas to hit enemies vs a tiny 2D plane where your attacks pretty much always hit.

Doing this version is a more correct decision for an lp, but it makes the 10 quadrillion random battles this game expects you to do take that much longer.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
13 year old me liked the battle system, but 13 year old me also thought Tales of Symphonia was the best game ever

miss that weird card game craze of the early-mid 2000s tho

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
I like this game mostly for how drat doofy it is, battle system and all. I'd argue the GBA game is actually okay at worst but this remake is pretty far in the "not good" category.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

FutureFriend posted:

Sora, Donald and Goofo

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

I never played the remake, but I do own the GBA game! And I enjoyed it back in the day. It wasn't that great as other games that would create a fun action card system and do it well (Megaman Battle Network series, Metal Gear Ac!d 2 even though that game is turn based), but it was still fun.

That is, until I reached one of the last bosses in the game and ultimately just gave up from how much a goddamn pain it was. So I'm looking forward to seeing how the remake turns out!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
also the thread title is aces

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Dingwall
Feb 28, 2016
oh boy i can't wait for this trainwreck.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I tried to play this but gave up when they introduced the battle mechanic, so I'm looking forward to finally getting to see what happens

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

This thread is going places, and it hasn't even started.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

FutureFriend posted:

3. No Yu-Gi-Oh jokes. Everyone has heard your Heart of the Cards joke buddy, I ain't wanna hear it again.

What about Gwent jokes?

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

White Coke posted:

What about Gwent jokes?

gwent already is a joke

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I play Ifrit, in defense mode!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

This is one of two kh games i've never played so I guess i'm interested in seeing what it's all about. I'm sorta disappointed you're doing this instead of KH 2 though because being utterly confused at a games plot due to never playing a previous title you might not have even knew existed, is I think a very important part of the Kingdom Hearts series. And it's a shame the co-commentators won't experience that.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

RareAcumen posted:

I play Ifrit, in defense mode!

FutureFriend posted:

Mind the rules! <:mad:>

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

FutureFriend posted:

gwent already is a joke

I won't have you badmouthing the greatest game. It even has this pretty good rpg sidequest called "the witcher 3" attached to it.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Who drew that beautiful banner

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Golden Goat posted:

Who drew that beautiful banner

knew i forgot to add something to the op! banner is drawn by twitter user and friend of the show @AwrySquare

SyntheticPolygon posted:

This is one of two kh games i've never played so I guess i'm interested in seeing what it's all about. I'm sorta disappointed you're doing this instead of KH 2 though because being utterly confused at a games plot due to never playing a previous title you might not have even knew existed, is I think a very important part of the Kingdom Hearts series. And it's a shame the co-commentators won't experience that.

honestly as much fun as it is to go in balls deep into this poo poo and go full into confusion, a huge part of why i wanna do these games is exactly because of that confusion that arises from skipping plot important handheld games like this. also to be entirely honest, a lot of those handheld games are also a bit wank and not many people go on to beat them!

SirSamVimes posted:

I won't have you badmouthing the greatest game. It even has this pretty good rpg sidequest called "the witcher 3" attached to it.

witcher 3 is one of my favorite games to come out recently but gwent has one strategy and its boring. i still played like 10 hours of it though because something is broken with me.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

JordanKai posted:

Mind the rules! <:mad:>

I'm throwing a Tonberry next to your Quistis and- since I won- I'll be taking that Behemoth card.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Nov 15, 2016

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

RareAcumen posted:

I'm throwing a Tonberry next to your Quistis and- since I won- I'll be taking that Behemoth card.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Turns out this wasn't a Yu-Gi-Oh reference and all this probation was good for was outing me as someone who doesn't know the first thing about trading card games. :saddowns:

But I'm still keeping an eye out for Yu-Gi-Outlaws in this thread, so beware.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

JordanKai posted:

Turns out this wasn't a Yu-Gi-Oh reference and all this probation was good for was outing me as someone who doesn't know the first thing about trading card games. :saddowns:

And also someone who doesn't know their iconic Final Fantasy monsters.

Anyway, Re: Chain of Memories. If anyone cares, I'm gonna be talking about the GBA version, since no one in the video remembers what it played like, and I was young and thought the game was pretty fun and beat it a few times I think. Or it just took so long that I remember some things very well.

The battle screens were basically like a beat-em-up in presentation. You can go up and down and all that jazz but I don't remember if locking on also helped you by automatically tracking towards enemies or not. Either it did or magic just did that on its own and I completely abandoned keyblade cards at some point.

Shaded Spriter
Mar 27, 2010

I always get confused as to which Kingdom Hearts games are where in the timeline/play order - I was fairly sure this was a 2.5 era game but with you decide to let's play this one before Kingdom Hearts 2 I should watch this and see if I can actually get what the expanded story of Kingdom Hearts actually is.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Shaded Spriter posted:

I always get confused as to which Kingdom Hearts games are where in the timeline/play order - I was fairly sure this was a 2.5 era game but with you decide to let's play this one before Kingdom Hearts 2 I should watch this and see if I can actually get what the expanded story of Kingdom Hearts actually is.

There's a timeline somewhere but I'm pretty sure it doubles back on itself and turns into weeping at some point.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

FutureFriend posted:

witcher 3 is one of my favorite games to come out recently but gwent has one strategy and its boring. i still played like 10 hours of it though because something is broken with me.

The beta for the full version apparently expands a lot on the mechanics, but I'm not interested in following its development closely. At least it sounds like pumping your deck full of the strongest cards and as many spies as you can find is no longer the one viable strategy.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

RareAcumen posted:

And also someone who doesn't know their iconic Final Fantasy monsters.

Anyway, Re: Chain of Memories. If anyone cares, I'm gonna be talking about the GBA version, since no one in the video remembers what it played like, and I was young and thought the game was pretty fun and beat it a few times I think. Or it just took so long that I remember some things very well.

The battle screens were basically like a beat-em-up in presentation. You can go up and down and all that jazz but I don't remember if locking on also helped you by automatically tracking towards enemies or not. Either it did or magic just did that on its own and I completely abandoned keyblade cards at some point.

It's been a few years but going off memory, attacking with keyblades while on the ground moved you forward horizontally a small amount, while attacking in the air moved you a large amount both horizontally and vertically. Magic mostly just moved horizontally, though there were a few homing or aimed attacks as well. Everything had a pretty large degree of tolerance though, basically if the sprites touched it counted as a hit, and the sprites were big.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Shaded Spriter posted:

All I can tell you is that it goes 1, Re: Chain of Memories, 2. After that I couldn't tell you anymore becuase I don't even know.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

RareAcumen posted:

All I can tell you is that it goes 1, Re: Chain of Memories, 2. After that I couldn't tell you anymore becuase I don't even know.

the release order is 1, Chain of Memories, 2, the pre-install demo for the original Japanese Cell Phone verison of Coded, 358/2 days, 7 out coded's 8 episodes, Birth by Sleep, episode 8 of Coded and gently caress doing the rest of the research

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

The order of events is X, Birth By Sleep, KHI, Chain of Memories, Days, KHII, Coded, DDD, Final Chapter Prologue (or whatever), KHIII. BBS makes more sense after KHII, so that's often when people say to play it.

It's linear, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

:siren::siren:

FutureFriend posted:

2. Don't talk about other games (besides Kingdom Hearts 1!) Basicly a extension of the first rule, but I'd still like this thread to be accessible to blind folks! Talking about Kingdom Hearts 1 is fine, though, especially as a relating point to this game.

Whoa there pardners! Let's dial this rodeo back a bit!

• Locked thread