Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Yeah t/t was pretty okay and there was one other song I genuinely enjoyed but I don't remember which one it was. I disagree with it being better than A Sense of Purpose, it's for sure better than Siren Charms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I mostly hate ASOP for the abortion of a song that is The Chosen Pessimist. There's a few songs on there that are okay but overall I like Battles more so far

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

just lol if you bother to listen to anything In Flames has done after Reroute

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Varg posted:

just lol if you bother to listen to anything In Flames has done

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
does the support group for metallica fans allow in flames fans to join in?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Varg posted:

just lol if you bother to listen to anything In Flames has done after Reroute

hey I really like soundtrack to your escape :(

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Don't feel bad. I loved Soilwork, but everything after Stabbing the Drama has been garbage.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
The Living Infinite was my favorite album of 2013, though their albums in between Stabbing & TLI were mediocre at best I'll give you that. Still though, TLI has some of their best songs on it they've ever made I think (This Momentary Bliss, Whispers & Lights, The Living Infinite II)

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

The Ride Majestic is good as gently caress, too.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Ride Majestic and their one from this year sounded like TLI Part 3 and 4, which was nice yeah but it was too samey for me for them to really stick out

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Am I crazy or are there really no tom drum fills by Lars?

I'm probably crazy.

Also, the intro to ManUnkind is a straight up Maiden rip.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Am I crazy or are there really no tom drum fills by Lars?

I'm probably crazy.

You're not crazy. I noticed right off that his "go to" fill is sixteenth notes on the snare -- as many as 2-4 bars of 'em. And he never sounds to be tight, bang on the meter, but is always just slightly behind the beat. Probably because he overdrums and is raising his arms above his head during a normal two/four according to videos I've seen. He also appears to use really heavy sticks -- they look like drum corp jobs (somehow I don't find this surprising). The result is that he gives the songs a plodding sort of feel and his approach really pulls what should be snappier rhythms down with him. He's unbelievably terrible. Maybe the worst I've heard among successful bands.

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Nov 15, 2016

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I feel like you guys are holding Metallica to a different standard to everybody else. Like Metallica are your retarded son and he's gotten dressed all by himself and you're really proud of him while your other son has just finished his masters degree

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Who's the other son, Ulcerate?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Nazzadan posted:

Vektor

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Nazzadan posted:

Megadeth

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

my Very Worst Son

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Nov 15, 2016

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I put on Master of Puppets yesterday, it's good (until I remember I can't play that drat spider riff near the start at full speed then it pisses me off).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd be content to ignore Lars' drumming technique if he hadn't spent most of the last 15 years acting like a moustache twirling villain. He's not great at his job, but he was good enough to be a part of one of the most financially successful metal bands in history and that's gotta be worth something.

But once you wander into "entitled rich rear end in a top hat" territory everything is fair game.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
supposedly he's been taking lessons for a little while now

it doesn't show

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
it also stands out a little that the overdubbed tom roll from Now That We're Dead is in two other songs.

I'm not bashing him, or the album, I'm just saying.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

xzzy posted:

He's not great at his job, but he was good enough to be a part of one of the most financially successful metal bands in history and that's gotta be worth something.

It's worth nothing

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

A human heart posted:

It's worth nothing

yep

kirk hammett wrote the enter sandman riff that made them gazillionaires and he's still a lovely guitarist slowly getting worse as his aging body fails him

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Oh right I forgot how Metallica were nobodies until 1991.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Moundgarden posted:

If you are expecting a return to form from In Flames you are going to be waiting a while

More like forever.

Also Chosen Pessimist is pretty loving good. It is basically In Flames NIN song.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Cardiac posted:

Also Chosen Pessimist is pretty loving good. It is basically In Flames NIN song.
wow that sounds great

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
While we're still talking about stuff that a lot of posters ITT will hate, here's a new Machinae Supremacy song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BsRqghUvaE

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Found the Metallica leak and gave it a spin. On first impression... I guess it was okay and I will give it a few more spins... but mainly it made me want to listen to their 80s stuff a bunch more times again.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Defending Metallica is the mountain I will die on.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Vargatron posted:

Defending Metallica is the mountain I will die on.

I find it funny how so many people fail to realize that Metallica had their creative peak during the 80-90 and will never return to the same creativity and drive.
This is something that happens to every band. Metallica just happened to have a better run than almost every other band.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Cardiac posted:

I find it funny how so many people fail to realize that Metallica had their creative peak during the 80-90 and will never return to the same creativity and drive.
This is something that happens to every band. Metallica just happened to have a better run than almost every other band.

Bolt Thrower.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

A TURGID FATSO posted:

Bolt Thrower.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Cardiac posted:

Satan.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The entire "all bands are only great in their first peak" trend opinion is the worst wrong thing.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

"I only like the first album"

Works every time

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Iron Maiden has been on a roll. And 13 by Sabbath is a good time.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time

Snowy posted:

"I only like the first album"

Works every time

A TURGID FATSO posted:

Bolt Thrower.

:staredog:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Ok second record then

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

The entire "all bands are only great in their first peak" trend opinion is the worst wrong thing.

Never said anything about a band being good in only one peak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Sabas
Apr 29, 2015

Snowy posted:

Ok second record then

reek of putrefaction is better than symphonies of sicknesss :twisted: :can: