Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I use the Street Guardian with a Lukas hard-wire kit. Seems to work great. I never have to touch it. After I turn the car off, I have it set to run until the car battery hits 12.4V, then it cuts it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DethMarine21
Dec 4, 2008

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I use the Street Guardian with a Lukas hard-wire kit. Seems to work great. I never have to touch it. After I turn the car off, I have it set to run until the car battery hits 12.4V, then it cuts it off.

I was going to ask about how well you liked the Lukas kit but forgot.

The car in which I had hardwired a SG9665GC using a CPUSB01 adapter was recently totaled and as expected there was an issue with the recording as soon as the engine stopped. In fact the camera footage ended approximately one second before the other vehicle impacted ours. Everyone was fine and the footage up until that point told us everything we needed to know, but obviously not having footage of the actual impact and any events after that is less than ideal.

For the next vehicle I'm searching around for better hardwire kits, possible even a UPS type with its own battery. I'd be interested to hear what other people have used.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

DethMarine21 posted:

I was going to ask about how well you liked the Lukas kit but forgot.

The car in which I had hardwired a SG9665GC using a CPUSB01 adapter was recently totaled and as expected there was an issue with the recording as soon as the engine stopped. In fact the camera footage ended approximately one second before the other vehicle impacted ours. Everyone was fine and the footage up until that point told us everything we needed to know, but obviously not having footage of the actual impact and any events after that is less than ideal.

For the next vehicle I'm searching around for better hardwire kits, possible even a UPS type with its own battery. I'd be interested to hear what other people have used.

I used this Lukas UPS kit, I haven't had an accident but it works great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CHYKOD0/.

I just have it tied into the power port in my glove compartment, but it can be hard wired. I didn't want to get into loving with the electrical system of my car though.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

It's not bad. I bought a couple fuse tap kits. You tap the ACC wire (on the Lukas type-C) to something that is only on while your car is on, and the B+ wire to something that's constantly on (tail lights, whatever). Definitely need a digital multimeter to figure out what is what though, and to figure out which side is the output.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It's not bad. I bought a couple fuse tap kits. You tap the ACC wire (on the Lukas type-C) to something that is only on while your car is on, and the B+ wire to something that's constantly on (tail lights, whatever). Definitely need a digital multimeter to figure out what is what though, and to figure out which side is the output.

If you have an aftermarket radio I'd say just wire it in to the adapter harness (you DID use an adapter harness, RIGHT?). Pretty much every radio has both constant and switched-on and they're typically really easy to get to.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Someone did not like my side-facing cameras. Smashed a rock through the window and literally ripped the camera out (pulling the metal sheath of the USB plug itself away from the pins as well).

Nothing else stolen.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Someone did not like my side-facing cameras. Smashed a rock through the window and literally ripped the camera out (pulling the metal sheath of the USB plug itself away from the pins as well).

Nothing else stolen.

That sucks.

Now you need another camera to point at the replacement camera.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Oh yeah, and don't fuse tap anything critical like the airbags :v:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Maybe he was taking away the camera to deter you from the CP you're obviously filming in that van. YIKES!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I actually would not put it past some mouthbreathing dumbass to see a camera pointed out the side, assume "that's fer takin peepin tom pictures!" because that's what they would do with it, and smash it up out of a terribly misguided sense of vigilante justice.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

jonathan posted:

Maybe he was taking away the camera to deter you from the CP you're obviously filming in that van. YIKES!
Judging from your avatar some gets filmed outside the van too.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Mystery solved, boys! My gas cap (about a foot below the break in the picture) was missing, as I discovered at today's fillup.

So, siphoned gas, saw camera, smashed and bailed.

EXCEPT! I still got 17mpg on my fillup today, which is actually better than average. So maybe I just forgot the cap at the pump, and this was just a random act of violence. Or he peed in it, and was drinking nitromethane.

So, mystery not solved.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

So, mystery not solved.

Attempted and failed to siphon gas?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Seems pretty likely. A lot of folks don't realize gas tanks aren't what they were in the 60s.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Godholio posted:

Seems pretty likely. A lot of folks don't realize gas tanks aren't what they were in the 60s.

Yeah, but I bet Gierskogul's tank is pretty similar to whatever they used in the 60s. Surely they didn't change that much?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Whoops...forgot which vehicle it was. :) Yeah, I'd be mildly surprised if there was an antisiphon valve in there.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
More likely their hose wasn't long enough (tank was pretty low tbh) or they simply panicked, I guess. Or got distracted by the camera and their destruction of it and ate up their time.

And trust me, there's no antisiphon screen.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Dope fiends will break window thinking your dash cam is worth enough money to get high. They will break window if you have loose change in plain sight. It's not a mystery, really

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I had a sweet XJ that got stolen and was found a few kms away. They stole the Cragar soft 8 wheels ($28 each from summit racing) and the battery and they cut out the catalytic converter.

Insurance wrote it off because they took a knife and sliced up the carpet. Like jigsaw puzzle pieces.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

I bought a dashcam back in 2014 and don't have a power cable for it. It looks like it uses a mini usb for power but I was wondering if anyone was familiar with these or knows where to get an extra cable.
http://imgur.com/Lvk5rNA
http://imgur.com/SHSpK7y
http://imgur.com/ITeMtpk
http://imgur.com/5SgoDMe

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The USB looks like Mini-A, the other looks like a Mini HDMI. Monoprice is probably one of the cheapest sources for USB and HDMI. Every cable I've bought from them has been high quality.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Godholio posted:

The USB looks like Mini-A, the other looks like a Mini HDMI. Monoprice is probably one of the cheapest sources for USB and HDMI. Every cable I've bought from them has been high quality.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking too. Will 15 feet do it for a compact car?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Where's it going?

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Godholio posted:

Where's it going?

Front, somewhere. Either behind the mirror or just in the top left of the windscreen.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I mean the cable. Why do you need a 15 foot USB or HDMI cable?

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
I could see using 12-15 feet if you are running the cable from the cig lighter/accessory port, to the side of the car, up the A pillar, to the mirror in a descrete manner (under trim and the head liner)

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Brigdh posted:

I could see using 12-15 feet if you are running the cable from the cig lighter/accessory port, to the side of the car, up the A pillar, to the mirror in a descrete manner (under trim and the head liner)

Yep, that's exactly the plan. Sorry, should have been more clear.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

They usually include a cable of about that length anyway. I still had like 6ft left over though my car is reasonably small and lacking in structural safety compared to most new cars.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Second time I've seen one of these obnoxious LED assholes on the road:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvIC9Ewh_0g&hd=1

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

seems like nothing you couldn't fix with a .30-30

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Brandishing a weapon is like a class 3 felony, doe

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
He'll spend the ad revenue on extra fuel to drag around that sail.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Second time I've seen one of these obnoxious LED assholes on the road:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvIC9Ewh_0g&hd=1

This would make the world's best third brake light.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I cannot imagine that I could mentally justify being behind that car and not turning on all of my offroad lights. If I'm going to stare at the surface of the sun while I'm driving, I'm going to need to light the road to that level also, so that I can drive safely.

Of course, I'd probably also just get in front of him and turn the backup lights on, but that's harder to actually justify. I mean, it's not that hard, but ...

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Bet that does wonders for fuel economy. I hate the drop when I put my roof rack (even with nothing on it) on.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

This would make the world's best third brake light.

Yeah I can see it now:

STOP!

*pause*

At Albertson's for a great sale on pineapple!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Krakkles posted:

I cannot imagine that I could mentally justify being behind that car and not turning on all of my offroad lights. If I'm going to stare at the surface of the sun while I'm driving, I'm going to need to light the road to that level also, so that I can drive safely.

Of course, I'd probably also just get in front of him and turn the backup lights on, but that's harder to actually justify. I mean, it's not that hard, but ...

I posted this in the "people you share a road with" thread ages ago, but on my route home, we had the most obnoxious billboard for a golf club which was just a few words on a glaringly bright white LED background. It was the size of a shipping container and really low to the ground so you just couldn't avoid being blinded by it.

It was so bright, I could have read a roadmap inside my car from 50 metres out. Even the side streets.

This isn't that sign, it's one I found through google, but it shows just how bad this thing was:

How the hell it was legal I'll never know.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Gorilla Salad posted:

I posted this in the "people you share a road with" thread ages ago, but on my route home, we had the most obnoxious billboard for a golf club which was just a few words on a glaringly bright white LED background. It was the size of a shipping container and really low to the ground so you just couldn't avoid being blinded by it.

It was so bright, I could have read a roadmap inside my car from 50 metres out. Even the side streets.

This isn't that sign, it's one I found through google, but it shows just how bad this thing was:

How the hell it was legal I'll never know.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I want that sign and I'd just program it to say "please turn on your headlights" and I could turn it on and off as appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

CharlesM posted:

I want that sign and I'd just program it to say "please turn on your headlights" and I could turn it on and off as appropriate.

Mine would say "please turn off your piece of poo poo purple aftermarket glarelights before I ram you"