Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Lakbay posted:

Final mission questions: What's the 3rd way to deal with delilah? There's killing her, placing the corrupt rune on the throne, and then at the very end I got a pop up saying i missed another way to kill her

And of course the very first bonecharm I get on my loud/lethal run is strong arms :sigh:
I'm almost to the end of my ghost/nonlethal run and have yet to find strong arms. I've been tempted to skip bone charms but with so few left it's got to be one of them. It might be the one I skipped going after in Dust District, thinking I could backtrack later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Connoisseur posted:

Playing the Clockwork Mansion mission again and actually took the offer to meet with Kindosh at the start instead of immediately sneaking off. I heartily recommend doing that because it adds tons of dialogue from Kindosh over the PA system commenting on almost everything you do.

One of my favorite bits in that was when I hadn't noticed my health was down after an encounter with a Clockwork Soldier, but as I was wandering about Jindosh piped in to say,"Based on your weight distribution and your speed of movement I've determined you're injured... good." I immediately chugged up to full health :)

Also loved it when I first used Far Reach while in one of his wired up rooms and he comments,"Hmmm... you move REALLY fast...."

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Connoisseur posted:

Playing the Clockwork Mansion mission again and actually took the offer to meet with Kindosh at the start instead of immediately sneaking off. I heartily recommend doing that because it adds tons of dialogue from Kindosh over the PA system commenting on almost everything you do.

The friendly banter exchanged between Jindosh and Corvo wherein Corvo basically says "see you in a bit buddy, I'm gonna murder the poo poo outta you :)" and he's like "eeyup :)" is awesome.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Choked a guy out and laid him on the ground next to a building. One solitary bee flew out of a window and daintily landed on him, then flew away. Instantly dead.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Digirat posted:

Choked a guy out and laid him on the ground next to a building. One solitary bee flew out of a window and daintily landed on him, then flew away. Instantly dead.

I mean if it was a Bloodfly then yeah he'd pretty much be dead in a few weeks after the eggs hatched. The game's just keeping you honest. If you give a man cancer that still counts as killing him.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Man I didn't realize bloodflies lay eggs in dead bodies until chapter 6 :gonk:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There are so many god drat notes in this game that are like "I think I got bloodflies from [nasty thing I did or nasty place I went], but I'm probably just imagining things haha" placed right next to or slightly away from an exploded corpse. It nets the same "fuckin come on man" look from me every time.

edit: Sometimes the "haha I'm sure I'm overreacting" note is followed shortly by "OH gently caress OH poo poo I WASN'T OVERREACTING"

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Speaking of bloodflys, the power that spawns them from dead bodies, do they attack you?

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

CJacobs posted:

There are so many god drat notes in this game that are like "I think I got bloodflies from [nasty thing I did or nasty place I went], but I'm probably just imagining things haha" placed right next to or slightly away from an exploded corpse. It nets the same "fuckin come on man" look from me every time.

edit: Sometimes the "haha I'm sure I'm overreacting" note is followed shortly by "OH gently caress OH poo poo I WASN'T OVERREACTING"

Itchy.

Tasty.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I think I spent like an hour trying to solve Jindosh's stupid riddle and I thought I got it right but it still wouldn't open. Fine, game, I'll be smart on a different playthrough. :(

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

hyphz posted:

- Intro with an overview of the history shows Corvo straight up killing two guys, but Emily isn't psycho. So is the canon of D1 High Chaos or Low Chaos?
Low chaos doesn't mean no killing, it means not killing gratuitously. IIRC it's perfectly possible to get low chaos in Dishonored 1 even if you kill all the mission targets and a few guards in each level as long as you leave most of the guards alive.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like the game's lore on Pandyssia because it is almost entirely comprised of "Fuckin' I dunno we went there and my legs felt weighed down and wobbly with the worst existential dread and people got eaten by people-eating termites and it rained all the loving time and everyone went insane and there were thick jungles and sharp rocks and massive skeletons and bones and it's just completely uninhabitable land and my feet hurt and it's just a loving nightmare there oh my god"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jesus every level just throws something new and great at me. That new device/game mechanic you get in Stilton's mansion is loving awesome.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

CJacobs posted:

I like the game's lore on Pandyssia because it is almost entirely comprised of "Fuckin' I dunno we went there and my legs felt weighed down and wobbly with the worst existential dread and people got eaten by people-eating termites and it rained all the loving time and everyone went insane and there were thick jungles and sharp rocks and massive skeletons and bones and it's just completely uninhabitable land and my feet hurt and it's just a loving nightmare there oh my god"
"But we got some nice samples out of it, so I'm counting it as a win." -Anton Sokolov

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

"But we got some nice samples out of it, so I'm counting it as a win." -Anton Sokolov

"It was important we prevent further deaths by sticking together and not ranging out too far.... but I sent a couple of students out to see if they could find a living specimen of the thing that just killed the Captain in horrible agony!"

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
It's worth mentioning that "Pandyssia" means "everything-bad-place"

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Is Craft Rune worth it? I have to sacrifice 8 runes to get that ability. Will I get more than 8 runes back for my investment?

EDIT: No it's not; not if you're investing in the tree just for this ability. It takes 9 whalebone to craft a rune. You will not be able to accumulate enough whalebone to cover the investment.

Kurzon fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Nov 15, 2016

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Wait wait, you can see the stats in mission and not just at the end of it?
Whaaaaa

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.
Did mission 5. Choked out 2 witches along the way. Went for non-lethal, and when I went to complete the mission, it said I killed 2 people. That didn't seem right, so I did it again. Huh. Still dead. How odd. Turns out nonlethal for that mission is potentially borked, and something about about the nonlethal "no more magic" machine causes just enough damage to kill knocked out witches. They said it's going to get patched, but I don't have a save from the beginning of the mission, so clean hands is off the table at this point. I think I'm done with the game until they fix the performance.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

LemonDrizzle posted:

Low chaos doesn't mean no killing, it means not killing gratuitously. IIRC it's perfectly possible to get low chaos in Dishonored 1 even if you kill all the mission targets and a few guards in each level as long as you leave most of the guards alive.

I went full revenge as Emily on the first mission and killed all the guards and it took me being non-lethal on missions 2-4 to get back to low chaos.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Kurzon posted:

Is Craft Rune worth it? I have to sacrifice 8 runes to get that ability. Will I get more than 8 runes back for my investment?

How thorough are you about getting all the charms/runes in a level and picking up all the whalebone in the open? If you're a kleptomaniac then yes it's worth the investment

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Why is there not an achievement for giving a guard the pear soda they so desperately crave?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

GotLag posted:

Why is there not an achievement for giving a guard the pear soda they so desperately crave?
I was highly irritated that he requested it and then was irate when I tossed it to him

ingrate, deserved being thrown into the sea

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

do they actually respond?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Xeremides posted:

Did mission 5. Choked out 2 witches along the way. Went for non-lethal, and when I went to complete the mission, it said I killed 2 people. That didn't seem right, so I did it again. Huh. Still dead. How odd. Turns out nonlethal for that mission is potentially borked, and something about about the nonlethal "no more magic" machine causes just enough damage to kill knocked out witches. They said it's going to get patched, but I don't have a save from the beginning of the mission, so clean hands is off the table at this point. I think I'm done with the game until they fix the performance.
Witches like to bang out on chandaliers and other high places that they shouldn't. So they fall down and break their necks when you activate the machine sometimes. I'd save right before doing so, run the machine, then check the stats. If they're dead then reload the save and try again.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.

Casimir Radon posted:

Witches like to bang out on chandaliers and other high places that they shouldn't. So they fall down and break their necks when you activate the machine sometimes. I'd save right before doing so, run the machine, then check the stats. If they're dead then reload the save and try again.

That's part of it:

https://twitter.com/Harvey1966/status/797707867365273601

https://twitter.com/Harvey1966/status/797712074361151488

https://twitter.com/Harvey1966/status/797712152685670401

Flipping the switch is actually killing witches you knock out. He goes on to say that a potential workaround is to....not interact with any witches, and flip the switch. If the performance patch doesn't work out, I'll just put the game on hold until the 1080 ti comes out, and brute force it. I'm not liking how it plays on my 980 ti.

Xeremides fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Nov 15, 2016

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I checked every witch I could in the conservatory and they were all safely dozing, but now I'm wondering if it had been one of the two up-to-no-good loiterers I'd knocked out earlier in the alley. I'm doing a new run (to make a save at the start of each mission, curse you no mission selector!) so I'll try speeding straight to the magic eraser and see if that's the key.

Edit: or that ^^^

Edit 2: Dr Hypatia more like Carla Sagan, now I've realised it I can't unsee

GotLag fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Nov 15, 2016

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Xeremides posted:

That's part of it:

https://twitter.com/Harvey1966/status/797707867365273601

https://twitter.com/Harvey1966/status/797712074361151488

https://twitter.com/Harvey1966/status/797712152685670401

Flipping the switch is actually killing witches you knock out. He goes on to say that a potential workaround is to....not interact with any witches, and flip the switch. If the performance patch doesn't work out, I'll just put the game on hold until the 1080 ti comes out, and brute force it. I'm not liking how it plays on my 980 ti.
In my current run I knocked some of then out then flipped the switch and got nonlethal so it's apparently just really buggy right now.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
https://twitter.com/Harvey1966/status/798453658161676288

:tviv:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
HOLY gently caress

they even draw your attention to it by having people ask "shouldn't it be WHALE eh"

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://twitter.com/Pentadact/status/798310430091472897

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I was doing nonlethal not seen mission 4, and originally did it by skipping pulling the lever. I thought "that was too easy, I'll try it after pulling the lever". 3.5 hours later, I wouldn't recommend doing that. Sneaking around the bots without being seen once was way harder than I expected, but that mission is done. After reading some of the issues with nonlethal mission 5 I'll probably wait for a patch.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Casimir Radon posted:

In my current run I knocked some of then out then flipped the switch and got nonlethal so it's apparently just really buggy right now.

I knocked out every single witch in their and only ended up with 3 kills, not sure how it determines if they die . I'll probably just SAM the achievement after I finish the game if I don't have any other kills.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

gently caress me the clocktower mansion is obnoxious with my playstyle.

Was there a nonlethal way to deal with the robots beyond rewiring them?

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

double nine posted:

gently caress me the clocktower mansion is obnoxious with my playstyle.

Was there a nonlethal way to deal with the robots beyond rewiring them?

Well, they don't count as deaths when destroyed, and you're not doing much with all those explosives anyway...

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Zomborgon posted:

Well, they don't count as deaths when destroyed, and you're not doing much with all those explosives anyway...

I stacked 3 whale oil with a passive robot and every time the explosives went off I got detected as the robot died. Regardless of whether the trigger was a crossbow bolt from across the room or a razorblade mine.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

double nine posted:

I stacked 3 whale oil with a passive robot and every time the explosives went off I got detected as the robot died. Regardless of whether the trigger was a crossbow bolt from across the room or a razorblade mine.

Fully detected, as in red-indicator and a tick on the stat page? That's weird; all I ever saw with white-indicator search mode, which makes sense.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

Xeremides posted:

I found a workaround for this.

After activating the Oraculum, check all your witches' bodies to find the ones that are dead (this includes the 2 in the alley).

Reload to before you activate the Oraculum, find the culprit witches and proceed to sleep dart their already unconscious bodies.

Activate the Oraculum.

Zomborgon posted:

Stun mines at their feet or patrol path.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Zomborgon posted:

Fully detected, as in red-indicator and a tick on the stat page? That's weird; all I ever saw with white-indicator search mode, which makes sense.

yep. This was with the two robots near the bedchamber right next to an oil tank dispenser/charger.

TBH my frustration was only in part with the robots. Somewhere in that level there are a blueprint and a painting (and a total of 300 gold) left with my name on it but drat if I'm gonna go hunt between the rafters again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monster Mash
Sep 11, 2001

FInished my no-kill no-detect Emily run last night and thankfully didnt get hit with that witches bug b/c holy poo poo that would have tilted me.

On the subject of bloodflys, if you murder everyone you come across do you just have an entire world filled with those fuckers?

• Locked thread