Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Alan_Shore posted:

Cool, that sounds great! I'll keep an eye on the clogging, maybe I can carry an extra/spare filters.

Another piece finalised!

I use the platypus gravity system which is similar and it's great. Its a dirty bladder and a clean bladder system. 2 hoses and the filter goes in the middle. Hang the dirty above it. I drink from the clean bladder all day and refill it when I need to. You can carry the dirty full if you're going through a dry area and essentially have twice the water. I usually carry it empty as its obviously lighter that way. If you get a slow filter, back flush it and is back to new. I think they're good for something ridiculous like 500 or 1000 gallons of water or something. Just don't drop it or let it freeze.

As for the sawyer squeeze bags .. I hate those things for anything other than a day hike at most. A bladder and inline filter are infinitely better in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The sawyer mini has a life of ~100,000 gallons. There's no need to replace it. Backflush every so often and you'll be fine. Also waddup AT thru hiker buddy. When you plan on heading out? My gf and I are NOBO early April

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

George H.W. oval office posted:

The sawyer mini has a life of ~100,000 gallons. There's no need to replace it. Backflush every so often and you'll be fine. Also waddup AT thru hiker buddy. When you plan on heading out? My gf and I are NOBO early April

Yeah I think the clogging complaints are all from people who don't backflush. Still they're like $20, it's not the end of the world if you have to buy a new one at some point.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

gohuskies posted:

Yeah I think the clogging complaints are all from people who don't backflush. Still they're like $20, it's not the end of the world if you have to buy a new one at some point.

I would 100% recommend buying the Sawyer Squeeze over the Mini. The weight difference is worth the extra flow you get. The Mini clogs so fast and has such a small stream compared to the Squeeze. At least on the PCT, this made a big difference. Also, put the flush tube in your bounce box and/or check hiker boxes for flush tubes.

If I'm doing a 1 or 2 night trip, the Mini is fine. If I'm living in my tent for 6 months, I'm using the Squeeze or a pump system.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Lots of great advice! I just did some research and I think the Platypus Gravity system is too big for one person. APlatypus 2L bag with a Sawyer Squeeze (that will fit onto the Platypus with an adapter I believe? Then I just drink the water through the Sawyer? I won't need the pouch/squeeze bag?) should be enough.

George H.W. oval office posted:

Yo! That's awesome! I'm hoping for a start date of April 10th. When are you heading out? Finalised your equipment yet? I can't wait!

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

You can do inline filtering with the mini, yes. I have one but just use it to fill smart water bottles. The squeeze pouch is a handy lightweight bag that can carry water in a pinch if the main container is damaged, so I just hang onto it.

Also gently caress the backflush syringe IMO, you can do the same thing with a water bottle sport cap. Saves an ounce and is a lot less spacious and awkward to carry.

e. also super jelly about the AT walkthrough. Good luck!

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Nov 17, 2016

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Guest2553 posted:

You can do inline filtering with the mini, yes. I have one but just use it to fill smart water bottles. The squeeze pouch is a handy lightweight bag that can carry water in a pinch if the main container is damaged, so I just hang onto it.

Also gently caress the backflush syringe IMO, you can do the same thing with a water bottle sport cap. Saves an ounce and is a lot less spacious and awkward to carry.

e. also super jelly about the AT walkthrough. Good luck!

Just to be clear, you can do inline filtering with the mini and the larger Squeeze, right?

Yeah I can't wait, it's been my dream for probably 10 years now! I'm sure I'll be posting more questions, and I'm making a picture with all my gear on it. You know, for fun.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
Hopefully the southern half of the AT doesn't burn down before y'all start.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

The sawyer mini is garbage, don't buy it. The normal one is fine. I think it gets clogged a little more than people let on, but I still use it because it's so light.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Arizona goons, heed my call!

Wife and I are going to take a 4day Thanksgiving road trip from CA to visit your National Parks. We will prob spend the least time at Grand Canyon since we've been before (will prob just drive through on the way back). What should we definitely see/do at Saguaro and Petrified Forest? What about camping there?

Any other awesome outdoorsy spots we should hit in the state?

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Have you been to Havasupai already? Oak Creek Canyon in the Sedona area is pretty amazing also even as just a day hike.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Any goons have experience with camping out of an Outback? I got a 2016 Outback last month, and we are preparing to take an almost 3 week trip at the end of May out West. We are driving from Tennessee to as far west as Las Vegas (my stepdad lives nearby there). We are planning to hit up not only the Grand Canyon, but several places in Utah and Colorado on the way back. We are looking at camping at least for 75% of the trip. So far I've got a full set of WeatherTech floor mats plus trunk mat (a friend works for a place that got them at cost for me) and an Yakima Loadwarrior for the roof. As a camper/hiker I've already got sleeping mats and bags, a dual burner cooking stove, a RTIC cooler, and most of the gear required for camping. My wife and I would like to sleep in the Outback as much as possible. We both fit fine in the back with the seats down (I'm 6ft and she is 5 ft 3).

I just wonder what other things we could add to make the trip even better. I've been looking at things like awnings that hook to the side of vehicles and nets that allow you to leave windows open. Any other things I should be looking at? Any advice or experiences would be appreciated.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

nate fisher posted:

I just wonder what other things we could add to make the trip even better. I've been looking at things like awnings that hook to the side of vehicles and nets that allow you to leave windows open. Any other things I should be looking at? Any advice or experiences would be appreciated.

I've got a '14 Outback, I've never slept in it, but have camped out of it. One cool thing I could see getting is a trailer hitch table.

The fold-up tables always felt pretty wobbly to me so I could see using one of these if you've got a htich.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

nate fisher posted:

Any goons have experience with camping out of an Outback? I got a 2016 Outback last month, and we are preparing to take an almost 3 week trip at the end of May out West. We are driving from Tennessee to as far west as Las Vegas (my stepdad lives nearby there). We are planning to hit up not only the Grand Canyon, but several places in Utah and Colorado on the way back. We are looking at camping at least for 75% of the trip. So far I've got a full set of WeatherTech floor mats plus trunk mat (a friend works for a place that got them at cost for me) and an Yakima Loadwarrior for the roof. As a camper/hiker I've already got sleeping mats and bags, a dual burner cooking stove, a RTIC cooler, and most of the gear required for camping. My wife and I would like to sleep in the Outback as much as possible. We both fit fine in the back with the seats down (I'm 6ft and she is 5 ft 3).

We have a 2012 Forester and I would suggest doing a night back there with your bags/pads before you roll out. We found it terribly uncomfortable with decent bags and pads, feeling every weird support rod and structural member through the folded down carpet. The Weathertech mats may help it, but still, dry run first.

3 weeks would almost be something that I would investigate one of the SUV tents for - not so much to sleep in, but to organize gear and have an enclosed area for hanging out, changing clothes, etc etc. Whether or not you grab the tent, I'd strongly suggest some tarps or shade/awnings - every time I throw tarp up over our camping vehicle i'm glad I did, and every time I neglect to, I regret it.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I've also had some pretty awful experiences sleeping in cars where I had plenty of room to lay down. At the very least I would get some pieces of like half-inch plywood that you can lay down over the fold-down seats to give you an actual smooth surface to put your pad and bag on.

Also, trying to regulate the temperature and air-fresheners in a car can be really tricky and a single nasty fart will linger for a long time unless you have some cross ventilation going. I know a few people who have done like band touring in converted sprinter vans and both groups ended up building a little window insert with a small computer fan that runs off of a battery to provide a little air circulation during the night.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I'm finally going to try out a hammock for some winter camping next week. It's only supposed to be -7C at night which isn't bad at all. Not sure the brand, my friend is going to lend me hers.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

nate fisher posted:

Even with the windows cracked, sleeping in your car is miserable. It's muggy and awful due to the lack of airflow.

And you'll likely be just plain tired of being in the car. My husband and I did a 10 day road trip a few months ago, and by day three the car was fart city. At the end of the day we were just excited to be anywhere but in the car. Setting up the tent wad no big deal, it felt palatial. (But maybe that's just a symptom of road tripping in a two door Sunfire)

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Picnic Princess posted:

I'm finally going to try out a hammock for some winter camping next week. It's only supposed to be -7C at night which isn't bad at all. Not sure the brand, my friend is going to lend me hers.

That is still pretty cold, unless you're being loaned a quilt set as well I would strongly suggest having an extra super warm sleeping layer along just in case.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Picnic Princess posted:

Its all about that bottom layer for cold weather hammock use.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

bongwizzard posted:

That is still pretty cold, unless you're being loaned a quilt set as well I would strongly suggest having an extra super warm sleeping layer along just in case.

Oh I will, I'll have my parka and snowpants too. The parka is so warm I usually don't even do it up until it gets to -20C. I was dressed in that with a -7C sleeping bag when I did my wilderness survival course. It got to -5 overnight and I didn't even bother with a fire, and that was sleeping on a pile of branches.

cheese posted:

Its all about that bottom layer for cold weather hammock use.

Duly noted! It's only one night in a front country site so I can bring something fairly heavy duty.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

What brand of parka/snowsuit do you use? My stuff doesn't really cut it now that we've just had the first real snow of the season in my hometown-du-jour. It wasn't so bad by itself, but the accompanying 30 knot gusts make it absolutely horrid. I went walking around outside today but noticed the cold when I stopped to set up my gear. Ended up losing a stuff sack that blew away which sucked, but it felt good learning I can rig my stuff in super adverse conditions.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

My parka was made by MEC (Canadian version of REI), it's down and super heavy, cost $400. The snowpants were by Arctix, I was looking for something fairly cheap but with good reviews.

This particular camping trip is part of a leadership course I'm taking for my degree, we take a bunch of grade 9 kids in an outdoor education course camping in the mountains for a night and teach them hard and soft winter skills. The kids have to sleep under a tarp, but us as leaders get the option to have better luxuries to keep us in top shape in the event of an emergency.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Picnic Princess posted:

The kids have to sleep under a tarp, but us as leaders get the option to have better luxuries to keep us in top shape in the event of an emergency.
"how-to-antagonize-kids.txt"

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

It's nice not having to translate prices into canadian dollarettes and plus it up by half again for duties and taxes :unsmith:

Also - shoutout to Simply Light Designs. I ordered a custom winter tarp yesterday evening on account of not wanting to die alone in the cold, and received a notice about an hour ago that it's finished and shipping today. He's also eating the cost of international shipping to Canada because I managed to dick up my address when ordering. Cottage industries best industries :toot:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

evil_bunnY posted:

"how-to-antagonize-kids.txt"

Good news! I'm now under a tarp too, we discussed it in class and decided fair's fair. Kinda bummed to not try out that hammock, because I won't have the opportunity to go back to the mountains until the end of March.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Hey, if anyone sees any good deals on equipment for Black Friday, could they please post them here?

Right now Hennesy Hammocks are giving away a free Leaf Hammock if you order a hammock over $150, so I'll probably get my hammock now. A free hammock's always good, right?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Picnic Princess posted:

Good news! I'm now under a tarp too, we discussed it in class and decided fair's fair. Kinda bummed to not try out that hammock, because I won't have the opportunity to go back to the mountains until the end of March.
Way to go! It's one of the most basic/important leadership axioms IMO, if you want people to develop loyalty/empathy, you have to be down in the mud with them.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

evil_bunnY posted:

Way to go! It's one of the most basic/important leadership axioms IMO, if you want people to develop loyalty/empathy, you have to be down in the mud with them.

Something something, safer to be feared than loved, something something Italian politics.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Alan_Shore posted:

Hey, if anyone sees any good deals on equipment for Black Friday, could they please post them here?

Right now Hennesy Hammocks are giving away a free Leaf Hammock if you order a hammock over $150, so I'll probably get my hammock now. A free hammock's always good, right?

A free hammock is a good hammock!

Which model are you looking at getting? I have the Expedition Asym Zip and it's just about perfect for me at 5'10 175 lbs, though I suspect it would be too cramped if you're 6' or over (then the Explorer would be a better fit). With a good UQ and TQ it's amazingly comfortable and convenient.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Clayton Bigsby posted:

A free hammock is a good hammock!

Which model are you looking at getting? I have the Expedition Asym Zip and it's just about perfect for me at 5'10 175 lbs, though I suspect it would be too cramped if you're 6' or over (then the Explorer would be a better fit). With a good UQ and TQ it's amazingly comfortable and convenient.

Yeah, the Ultralite Expedition Asym is the one, seems to be the best from everything I've read. I'm 5'6 so I'll have plenty of room!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Does anyone have a Jetboil? Let's talk cooking. I'm looking at that because it boils mega quick, everything fits in the cup and it even has a coffee press (which may or may not be poo poo). I'll mainly be drinking coffee, and eating oatmeal/pasta I guess!

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
I don't own one, but I've done some research. The Jetboil is actually fairly expensive for what you get. Compare to an MSR Pocket Rocket + whatever anodized aluminium pot with lid you like and you have basically the same setup for half the price. Boil times might be a tad slower but who the gently caress cares, both are under 3 minutes iirc. As far as I can tell, the only redeeming factor for the Jetboil is the fact that it is guaranteed to all fit together nicely and with the Pocket Rocket you will have to figure it out yourself.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I can second using the MSR Pocket Rocket. Mine is stuffed inside of GSI Pinnacle Soloist cooking pot and fits pretty good along with that mini shammy thing MSR gives you. That thing keeps it from clunking about. In regards to coffee I usually pack instant coffee because a french press is a mess to clean with all those grounds. Though I do pack an Ikea french press on occasion because the coffee is usually worth the effort. I just hate cleaning the grounds.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I have a Jetboil and I like it. We also have the press pot adapter so the wife can make coffee. I think it's a bit heavy compared to what else you can do these days, but it was the go-to when we bought it and my wife and I were (and still are) inexperienced backpackers and we wanted something that "just works."

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
I used to have a jetboil, and I sold it off. I never quite fitted my needs.
I cook when we're hiking, so it was a little too small and never really made cooking possible.

I also used a Primus Eta Power stove-set, but that was way to big and heavy for my wife and I.

I got this Primus Express set instead. It's basically a slightly larger Jetboil stoveset with a windscreen, lid/collander and handles. It holds about a litre, and thus it fits our purposes pretty well.
Everything, including a 100 gram gas bottle fits inside the small sack that comes with it. (Windscreen on the outside)
It's not really ultralight or what have you, but it works really well for simmering pasta-dishes and that kind.

http://www.primus.eu/express-stove-set

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Yooper posted:

I can second using the MSR Pocket Rocket. Mine is stuffed inside of GSI Pinnacle Soloist cooking pot and fits pretty good along with that mini shammy thing MSR gives you. That thing keeps it from clunking about. In regards to coffee I usually pack instant coffee because a french press is a mess to clean with all those grounds. Though I do pack an Ikea french press on occasion because the coffee is usually worth the effort. I just hate cleaning the grounds.

I have a GSI Dualist (has two bowls and two "mugs") and it's great. Perfect for camping with another person. The plastic sporks are flimsy and have ridges that gunk loves, so plan on getting a better utensil, but other than that I am really pleased with the setup.

Instant coffee is the way to go. There is some yummy stuff out the these days.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

We use the Jetboil when we're backpacking, and have no complaints. We're mostly doing dehydrated stuff though/making tea, so I can't comment on how well you might be able to, like, cook-cook with it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, I will say that we do the same. We do the dehydrated meals in a bag, super easy to clean. I can't imagine doing any actual cooking on it.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

Yooper posted:

Does a 100g gas bottle fit inside that pot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I'm personally a fan of the firebox nano with some backup solid fuel tabs if local laws and conditions permit it, but haven't had the chance to try it out on a multi-day trip yet.

If you're willing to accept the marginal risk of explosion, it's possible to refill your gas canisters for under a couple bucks which may make them more economically sound that some alternatives.