Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Oasx posted:

I am relatively early on in act 2, and i keep getting references to things i can research if i make a library add-on to the spire, and it gives me the impression that i am missing something since i don't have any add-ons unlocked. Do i just have to wait until the main story goes on and i unlock more spires?

Yes, you can only build add-ons to spires other than the one at Vendrien's Well, and only one add-on per spire, and as far as I can tell unlocking spires is gated by progressing the main story so...

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Nov 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Golden Battler posted:

Having never played this game or PoE or really anything like them before for prior knowledge, is there a good way to build an unarmed magic monk-ish character? The idea of buffing the poo poo out of yourself and punching fools appeals to me, Muscle Wizard style.

I'd say you could half rear end a muscle wizard and it'd be fine.

Though eventually you'll probably just realize magic is crazy powerful.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

Honestly it sounds like people just went into this with misguided expectations. This game presented itself, from the start, as an Alpha Protocol style game in that it would be shorter and more reactive. Implicit in that is that no, you would not be able to see everything in a single playthrough. I went into this purchase expecting that to be true, and lo, it was. :shrug:

It's okay to play a game and not have your run be "perfect" or whatever. Not every RPG needs to be like that.

Because,

Basic Chunnel posted:

The difference between AP and Tyranny is that AP gives you all of its content with fair-to-drastic variations in how it all plays out. Tyranny only gives you some of its content with more modest variation, and what's more its sense of forward momentum is not communicated to the player. In AP time is always moving forward and choices are identifiable as exclusive from the jump. In Tyranny time doesn't matter until it does.

This. AP never felt like it was siloing off content. Tyranny goes so far as to display locations on the minimap that you never get to visit for no better reason than "because we said so." It's not like you made some relevant choice, as with, say, the fork in Witcher 2. The game just decides to progress to the next act without the player's consent. It comes off as very forced, especially for a game that wants to tout choice as a strength.

Captain Oblivious posted:

I mean come on listen to yourself dude. The bolded is just shy of Redditor style "this is a slap in the face!"

I'm being hyperbolic on the internet, it's allowed! I still like the game, but this is a bad design choice. It makes the game feel less open and more directed, which is exactly the opposite of what they're going for.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 15, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Golden Battler posted:

Having never played this game or PoE or really anything like them before for prior knowledge, is there a good way to build an unarmed magic monk-ish character? The idea of buffing the poo poo out of yourself and punching fools appeals to me, Muscle Wizard style.

No matter what you play in Tyranny, you have spell slots, and there are some very powerful buff spells that don't require a particularly high Lore skill. So you could take unarmed as one of your skill sets at the start and pick up good buff spells as you go (Vigor and Illusion can be used to build some great ones). Especially if you're only concerned with self-buffing before you punch things, that's a really easy and good thing to do in Tyranny.

Unarmed starts off pretty weak--they tell you right in its description that it's for players who want a challenge--but it's a full-fledged skill set like any other weapon skill.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Cool, I guess the next thing is figuring out what stats to prioritize. I have no real basis for what's good/bad for this type of thing - I'd have thought Quickness would be the god stat for action economy but apparently it's like the worst stat?

I have no idea what I'm doing :supaburn:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
So did you know you could have multiple volcanic weapon sigils active at the same time? And that the aoe accent lets you cast it on your whole party?

:getin:

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

chaosapiant posted:

Maybe it's explained later...but why is Kyros "evil?" If anything this game just seems like i'm working for the Roman Empire. He's a conquering force but aside from that doesn't seem "Evil" in any traditional sense of the word. Am I missing something?
If it has to be explained, it's not worth explaining tbh

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Kyros did nothing wrong.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Perhaps we could say the same of all megalomaniac war criminals. :smug: :shrug:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

So did you know you could have multiple volcanic weapon sigils active at the same time? And that the aoe accent lets you cast it on your whole party?

:getin:
Yeah, for when I do decide to break the game over my knee, I think I'm going to do a self-buffing two-hander with three mage support. MC casts the most powerful Terratus weapon buff possible with Pride accent, everyone else drops an elemental damage buff with Volcanic Weapon, then debuff enemies as necessary to increase crit rate and watch everyone just die.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Golden Goat posted:

Kyros did nothing wrong.

Yeah Edicts seem totally chill

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
Lol at people shocked that you dont see every facet of the story when the entire premise of the game is siding with different factions or striking out on your own. "Omg i sided with graven but now I cant do any chorus quests!?!?!"

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
This game is fun, I can't wait to try PoE with all the expansions now.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Kontradaz posted:

Lol at people shocked that you dont see every facet of the story when the entire premise of the game is siding with different factions or striking out on your own. "Omg i sided with graven but now I cant do any chorus quests!?!?!"
Your reading comprehension is less than great

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I don't think I can continue my PoE game with it's old, dusty per encounter/rest system.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Your reading comprehension is less than great

Idk man I'm sitting here on my independent run seeing every edict and every location other than the two HQ's and everyone else is complaining about not seeing anything.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

chaosapiant posted:

Maybe it's explained later...but why is Kyros "evil?" If anything this game just seems like i'm working for the Roman Empire. He's a conquering force but aside from that doesn't seem "Evil" in any traditional sense of the word. Am I missing something?

Subjugating people against their will is generally considered an evil act. The Roman Empire wasn't exactly a benevolent force in world history.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Golden Goat posted:

I don't think I can continue my PoE game with it's old, dusty per encounter/rest system.

I still prefer that.

Tyranny has tremendous magic though. Just tremendous.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Kontradaz posted:

Idk man I'm sitting here on my independent run seeing every edict and every location other than the two HQ's and everyone else is complaining about not seeing anything.

Did you find that forge yet?

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Golden Goat posted:

Did you find that forge yet?

I did!! It's kind of useless though other than upgrading Bariks rust.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Kontradaz posted:

I upgraded a high quality armor just for fashions sake which the upgrade system is nice for.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Kontradaz posted:

You can make artifacts there, and upgrade your artifacts to orange quality.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

wiegieman posted:

You can make artifacts there, and upgrade your artifacts to orange quality.

Ahh yes, I've been ignoring much of the upgrade system / artifact creation because the difficulty right now is just right - as in every encounter is a pleasant steamroll.

The bounce accent on spells is hilariously effective, the magic customization and etc. in this game is top notch (when you get enough cores and etc. that is)

TheShrike fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 15, 2016

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Vegetable posted:

The Oldwalls parts are boring as heck. Reminds me of Dragon Age: Origins's Chantry tower, except that one had some charm. These Oldwalls sections are just excuses to pad the gametime while doing as little writing as possible.
I couldn't believe that the one dungeon actually has three maps dedicated to it. The game was doing all right with brief dungeons until this part. I was not super thrilled about doing all of that, yeah.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

That's the Oldwalls at the Crossing, right?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

chaosapiant posted:

Let me put it this way: Kyros is someone who, presented with the Voices of Nerat, did not say "this monstrosity dies right the gently caress now," but rather "hey want to be one of my most powerful generals?"

She also has a bit of a habit of solving his problems by hurling the magical equivalent of nuclear weaponry at them, and one of her foremost laws is "wizards killing people with magic is not a crime."

Kyros is, at best, a real piece of poo poo.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Golden Goat posted:

That's the Oldwalls at the Crossing, right?

The 20 minute or so dungeon? I can see it taking far longer if your party comp still sucks by that point, lots of little demon portals - but it felt like a breeze to me with some interesting set pieces. (it also takes far longer if you mess up the puzzles which releases the demons)

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I've seen a lot of people argue that you shouldn't pick up magic skills during character creation, even if you want to play a pure mage, because you miss out on talent points and sigils cost next to nothing to buy.

This is wrong. Taking two magic schools nets you +10 lore on top of training/exp gains. Its the equivalent of taking the +10 Lore talent, except you can still take that talent for even more lore. There also isn't that many talents worth taking as a pure mage, at least not compared to more Lore. You'll always be up 10 points compared to a character that starts out with non-magical combat skills.

The best choice for a pure mage is picking the same spell school twice in character creation so you get the +10 Lore and the free talent in the magic tree.

I'd also argue that the fire sigil (which you can buy later for a ton of money) is way better than a defensive ability you can't replicate but probably won't ever need to use.

The magic tree needs more spell boosting passives. Once you have more spell slots than spaces on your action bar boosting staff attacks or gaining even more special abilities isn't what you want.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Vegetable posted:

The Oldwalls parts are boring as heck. Reminds me of Dragon Age: Origins's Chantry tower, except that one had some charm. These Oldwalls sections are just excuses to pad the gametime while doing as little writing as possible.

I think you mean they remind you of the Deep Roads.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

KPC_Mammon posted:

I've seen a lot of people argue that you shouldn't pick up magic skills during character creation, even if you want to play a pure mage, because you miss out on talent points and sigils cost next to nothing to buy.

This is wrong. Taking two magic schools nets you +10 lore on top of training/exp gains. Its the equivalent of taking the +10 Lore talent, except you can still take that talent for even more lore. There also isn't that many talents worth taking as a pure mage, at least not compared to more Lore. You'll always be up 10 points compared to a character that starts out with non-magical combat skills.

The other reason is like, sure, I miss out on some talents by taking two magic schools. If I'm playing pure mage, what was I going to use those talents for anyway? They're weapon talents for weapons I'm not going to need. Picking the same school twice is nice to get you a boost in the Magic talent tree for sure, though.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Gamebreak chat: has anyone come up with excellent warrior ideas? Mages are awesome, but I have been trying to come up with something that makes Graven Ashe look like the archon of frailty. Quickness seems unnecessary when you are basically going to be monstrous in terms of raw asskicking, and having two support casters focused on you + Verse for range dps seems a good start.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Harrow posted:

The other reason is like, sure, I miss out on some talents by taking two magic schools. If I'm playing pure mage, what was I going to use those talents for anyway? They're weapon talents for weapons I'm not going to need. Picking the same school twice is nice to get you a boost in the Magic talent tree for sure, though.

I've seen it argued getting a free point in power makes getting the -15% recovery stance easier to get.

+10 Lore means +5 spell accuracy and even more accents.

I've tried both methods, starting with spells ends up so much more powerful. There is no such thing as too much lore.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Skippy McPants posted:

This. AP never felt like it was siloing off content. Tyranny goes so far as to display locations on the minimap that you never get to visit for no better reason than "because we said so." It's not like you made some relevant choice, as with, say, the fork in Witcher 2. The game just decides to progress to the next act without the player's consent. It comes off as very forced, especially for a game that wants to tout choice as a strength.

I don't know about every route, but at least on the rebel route, it is absolutely presented as a meaningful choice - you choose which potential group of rebels to recruit to your cause and are warned at each decision that things might change on the ground at any time so who knows if you'll still be able to recruit someone else later. Missing out on one of the areas/recruits gives some weight to that decision and leaves something to be seen next time, the same way that visiting somewhere else in the conquest or choosing a different faction to side with does - I missed out on the Stone Sea last time, so my next playthrough will go to Azure in the Conquest then do whatever's there in the main campaign.

Ze Pollack posted:

Let me put it this way: Kyros is someone who, presented with the Voices of Nerat, did not say "this monstrosity dies right the gently caress now," but rather "hey want to be one of my most powerful generals?"

She also has a bit of a habit of solving his problems by hurling the magical equivalent of nuclear weaponry at them, and one of her foremost laws is "wizards killing people with magic is not a crime."

Man you'd think the fact that the game is named Tyranny and the tagline is "evil wins" would be enough of a hint. It'd undermine the central conceit of the game if Kyros was anything less than capital-E Evil.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
So, being a mage, I grabbed the Library ASAP. Should I be researching the Silent Archive for artifacts, or just the general artifact list or what? Is there any appreciable difference or path in what you find?

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

So, being a mage, I grabbed the Library ASAP. Should I be researching the Silent Archive for artifacts, or just the general artifact list or what? Is there any appreciable difference or path in what you find?

If anybody can attest to the usefulness of more artifacts please do, but I haven't found a single artifact yet that I actually use because they are all kind of pitiful (like most loot) in special abilities or stats. Probably better off researching sigils or whatever if you are low in variety. (exception being higher difficulties some of the special traits may pay off more)

That does feed into a sucky thing about this game - the loot sucks. 2 of my main party members can't even wear any armor, and the other 2 are mages so everything is light armor. Only thing I get excited about is the odd masterwork crush / slash weapon, but those end up being either the same quality or worse than what I'd been using for the past few levels. End up selling most of everything I find.

TheShrike fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 15, 2016

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ze Pollack posted:

Killing people with magic ACCIDENTALLY. :colbert:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Kontradaz posted:

If anybody can attest to the usefulness of more artifacts please do, but I haven't found a single artifact yet that I actually use because they are all kind of pitiful (like most loot) in special abilities or stats. Probably better off researching sigils or whatever if you are low in variety. (exception being higher difficulties some of the special traits may pay off more)

That does feed into a sucky thing about this game - the loot sucks. 2 of my main party members can't even wear any armor, and the other 2 are mages so everything is light armor. Only thing I get excited about is the odd masterwork crush / slash weapon, but those end up being either the same quality or worse than what I'd been using for the past few levels. End up selling most of everything I find.
I'm pretty sure the Ardent Seal or whatever is the reason my game went from being fun to being impossibly easy, though I did also hit that point of mage-rolling everything at around the same time. Mostly, I think the artifact abilities are there to be used for fun, just like the per-rest companion abilities that I, frankly, mostly forget to do because of how good magic is. As far as stats go, I'm pretty sure they're simply weapons/armor with all of the appropriate stats of their tier with an activated per-rest ability, sometimes with a passive as well, both of which scale with rep. -10% damage taken and +20%damage done, turned to Arcane, isn't a bad per-rest ability when there's little else in that slot.

Barik and KiS having non-interactable armor is a little frustrating, yeah, but nothing stops you from putting Lantry, Sirin, or your MC into armor. Eb and Verse are debateably the only ones you'd really refuse to armor up if you wanted, and that's only if you take their light-armor talents.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

chaosapiant posted:

The Roman Empire was a chill place to live in if you were a high-born Roman but probably seemed pretty loving evil to all the nations it subjugated and all the low-born slaves that lived in it

And the Roman Empire didn't even have hideously powerful magic that could level entire countrysides and genocide entire cultures, they had to do that the slow way

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Pretty sure if you chatted with the people of Carthage at 145 BC about Rome......oh wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ze Pollack posted:

Re: The Voices, he was almost certainly not Fantasy Joker Ignus when he started out. Maybe a psycho with an appetite for learning people's secrets, but an otherwise regular guy. His legend just grew, like any other Archon's. Except maybe Sirin, still not sure about her. Anyway, if Kyros thinks The Voices are a good tool for certain situations, who am I to argue with the Overlord? It's his Empire, he can make the rules.

• Locked thread