Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012

Hemingway To Go! posted:

But fast bosses like duke fishron are probably barely even possible to solo without homing capabilities of chlorophhte bullets. I haven't played the game in a long while so there's probably magic options or some option from repitively dying to holiday events like every else recommends, but the chlorophyte is right there.
My latest playthrough is/was a pure arrow user on expert and I had a blast fighting Fishron with a combo of Pulse Bow and the Shotbow. But I did have to build a a two level arena out of asphalt to be fast enough to dodge him. It was fun figuring out his pattern again from scratch, last time I killed him was a magic user when 1.3 hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
You can still farm Chlorophyte? How have it's requirements changed? None of the Chlorophyte I place spreads, at all, even after hours of in-game time across multiple days, even in the jungle biome. Does it have to be in the cavern layer or deeper to grow when placed?

I figured 'yeah I'll just get me a bunch of Chlorophyte' but multiple attempts at creating farms across two hardmoded worlds (one Expert, one normal) have yielded zip even after hours of playtime. I just assumed that an update made it so you couldn't grow it by transplanting it anymore, because even my attempts at seeding it underground in the jungle proved fruitless.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Shady Amish Terror posted:

You can still farm Chlorophyte? How have it's requirements changed? None of the Chlorophyte I place spreads, at all, even after hours of in-game time across multiple days, even in the jungle biome. Does it have to be in the cavern layer or deeper to grow when placed?
Pretty sure it's always needed that, yes.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Zereth posted:

Pretty sure it's always needed that, yes.

Must just be me misremembering, then, I could have sworn I used to farm it aboveground.

This also means it can generate naturally at a depth higher than it will grow at if placed??? How odd.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Guide:Chlorophyte_Ore_Farming

quote:

Chlorophyte will spread at Underground depth or below, but will spread much more at Cavern depth and below.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Well, that was an eventful few hours.

Started by killing Golem a few times. Then did a solar eclipse. Then died a few times before properly killing the Lunatic Cultist. Then died a stupid number of times to the Solar Tower. Then made a Solar Eruption. Then took down the other three towers, only dying twice. Then killed the Moon Lord, with copious abuse of the Nurse.

That was fun.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Ah, that makes some sense then. I must have gotten really, really unlucky with my Underground layer tests then; Chlorophyte growth seems to be GODDAMNED slow now, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

The solar tower is the most difficult boss in the game.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Another patch is dropping in 4 days.

https://twitter.com/Cennxx/status/797084190600785920

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Yeah it'll have the new water effects and the Dungeon Defender 2 tie-in, with a tower defense event.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'd like to see tower defense like elements in Terraria 2. Let enemies be able to damage structures during events, with stronger materials like stone lasting far longer than dirt or wood. Also throw in rentable combat-heavy NPCs with more powerful weapons than the standard townsfolk.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
Terraria: Otherworld, if it ever comes out, is supposed to be a lot more tower defense based. I'd much rather Terraria 2, again if it ever comes out, stick more to what we have now, with using environmental hazards and traps to your advantage in addition to your own combat skills.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

A moment ago I was thinking about how it's weird that, for all the weapons it has, Terraria has never had a simple baseball bat as one. But then I thought about it and realized that'd require a whole new set of animations to swing it.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Cat Mattress posted:

Yeah it'll have the new water effects and the Dungeon Defender 2 tie-in, with a tower defense event.

Aside from the flying monsters, I suppose I'll just be digging lava trenches for these monsters as well.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

RareAcumen posted:

A moment ago I was thinking about how it's weird that, for all the weapons it has, Terraria has never had a simple baseball bat as one. But then I thought about it and realized that'd require a whole new set of animations to swing it.

It'd probably almost like a shortsword, which are garbo weapons.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I have to imagine this exists but don't know where I would get it...

Is there a mod to just give normal mode the hard mode drops? I'm not great at this game to begin with, but there are neat things in hard mode.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Geomancing posted:

Terraria: Otherworld, if it ever comes out, is supposed to be a lot more tower defense based. I'd much rather Terraria 2, again if it ever comes out, stick more to what we have now, with using environmental hazards and traps to your advantage in addition to your own combat skills.
I want the ability to make spikes which hurt the enemies and not you, rather than the other way around as it currently is.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Saxophone posted:

I have to imagine this exists but don't know where I would get it...

Is there a mod to just give normal mode the hard mode drops? I'm not great at this game to begin with, but there are neat things in hard mode.

You could just use the terraria save game editor to give yourself the item after beating the relevant boss. I have used http://yal.cc/r/terrasavr/ which is a pretty cool little save game editor thing that I don't think is going to hack your computer? You won't get the extra accessory slot from the Wall of Flesh in non-Hard Mode worlds though.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

NB: Hardmode and expert mode are two distinct things in Terraria.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
...man, the RNG went a little funky on me. Blood moon followed by a solar Eclipse followed by a pirate invasion the next day followed by a pirate invasion the next day after that followed by slime rain the same day followed by a full moon followed by ANOTHER Eclipse. It's not as bad as three Solar Eclipses in a row before I was ready for them the last time I was playing the game heavily, admittedly...

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Crimson Harvest posted:

It'd probably almost like a shortsword, which are garbo weapons.

Nah, that'd be a rapier's attack style.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Aaand now another Blood Moon.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Man, I love the Piranha Gun.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

HardDiskD posted:

Man, I love the Piranha Gun.

I doubted it at first, and I've never gotten it at the point it would be most useful, but it is kinda loving cool.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

I doubted it at first, and I've never gotten it at the point it would be most useful, but it is kinda loving cool.

That's why you hack it in early-mid game and then enjoy yourself and watch it chew through poo poo.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

It's amazing wherever there's a lot of enemies, like in the Jungle Temple, or in the invasions. I also used it to cheese Martian Saucers and a stuck Golem.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Working on this base lately:

Just discovered the joy of teleporters, gonna put some up for my favorite fishing spots and soul of light/night farming areas.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...
1.3.4 just dropped. Here's the notes:

Change log:
Features

Dungeon Defenders 2 Cross-Over Invasion Invasion event featuring enemies, weapons, and gameplay mechanics inspired by Etheria - the Dungeon Defenders 2 universe. This event will play like no other in Terraria - featuring a brand new mechanic where you protect an artifact from invading enemies with the help of a unique defensive structure system. Multi-tiered event allows players at multiple points in the game to experience scaling difficulty, with corresponding loot. Enjoy rewards in the form of armor, weapons, pets and more, all straight from the Dungeon Defenders 2 universe!

The Tavernkeep, a new NPC from the Dungeon Defenders universe, has arrived. He will be offering a variety of Etherian loot and gear in exchange for an exclusive currency earned by playing the new invasion!

Completely redesigned liquid visuals. Enjoy the ripples and waves, as the player, enemies, and projectiles now have a visible impact when they enter and move through water

The Blizzard weather event now has a new, unique ambient sound when active

Toggles for recently-added visual and water effects that will allow players to balance beautiful visuals and performance to fit their preferences

A new ability for Summoner players to direct their minions to attack a specific target

An experimental new world seed feature (This will be inactive by default, see below in the Changes section for more details)

New Items

Four new sentry summons, each of which has three tiers of potency

Ten new weapons

Eight new armor sets

Five new accessories

Two new pets

One new light pet

Three new boss masks and trophies

Two new decorate furniture items

One brand new “Personal Safe” style furniture item, in the style of the Piggy Bank and Safe

A brand new currency which can be spent with the Tavernkeep for much of the above

New Enemies

Ten new enemies, many of which can become visibly (and mechanically) more powerful as gameplay progresses

Two new invasion style mini-bosses

One new boss

Other

One new soundtrack based on the Dungeon Defenders 2 OST, complete with a matching Music Box

Over 200 new sound effects inspired and adapted from Dungeon Defenders 2

Changes

The way Sentry Summons function has been changed somewhat. Outside of the DD2 Invasion event, you now have a limit of one sentry summon at a time. Some of the 1.3.4 content can increase this limit. Unlike before, when the sentry limit is above 1, you can summon multiple versions of the same sentry. For instance, with a sentry limit of 3, you could summon 3 Frost Hydras at the same time.

Summoners can now direct their minions to attack a specific target of their choosing. To do this, the summoner must Right Click over an enemy while holding a minion summoning staff.

Minions with line of sight on that enemy will target it immediately. However, if the minions do not have line of sight, they will continue to attack targets at random.

We’ve added an experimental new seed feature to World generation. All worlds generated in 1.3.4 and beyond will have a seed attached to them. You will also be able to set the seed for a world on world generation. PLEASE NOTE that this feature is not active by default. To activate it, please follow these steps:

Find Terraria’s config.json file. On Windows, this should be found in Documents>My Games>Terraria.

Open the config file with a basic text editing program, such as Notepad.

The 12th line in the config file is labeled "UseExperimentalFeatures" and will be set to "false”".

Simply change this to “true” and save the config.json file. The next time you launch Terraria, the option to view and set world seeds will appear.

Please be aware that this is NOT a retroactive feature, and cannot display the seeds for worlds created before 1.3.4, as the data is simply not stored there. Additionally, you must run launch

Terraria in 1.3.4 before the option will appear in the config file.

It no longer rains in the space biome.

Bug Fixes

Fix for AMD Graphics Card related issue involving Living Flame Dye.

Fixed edges of screen getting inverted colors during a blizzard

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Anyone know how to start the new events?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

King Doom posted:

Anyone know how to start the new events?

There's a new NPC, a tavernkeep, which you should find lying unconscious somewhere. Once you wake him up he'll sell you items relevant to the DD2 crossover content, including a crystal that can then be used to start the invasion.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Cat Mattress posted:

There's a new NPC, a tavernkeep, which you should find lying unconscious somewhere. Once you wake him up he'll sell you items relevant to the DD2 crossover content, including a crystal that can then be used to start the invasion.

Ah, cool. Don't suppose you can confirm if he spawns in pre 1.3.4 worlds, can you?

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

He does spawn in pre-today worlds, I just found him in Underground level, if you have the lifeform detector you're looking for 'Unconscious Man'. The stand to hold the crystal, for my pre-Hardmode character, is 1 gold, the crystal to put in the stand to start the event is 25 silver.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

King Doom posted:

Ah, cool. Don't suppose you can confirm if he spawns in pre 1.3.4 worlds, can you?

The only thing in this update that requires a new world is getting the random seed used to generate it saved in the world file.

All the new gameplay content is available in older worlds.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

Ah, so that's how they prevent you from cheesing it. You have to put down the crystal holder in a 'wide, flat area' which can have some variance in it, but not so much you'd consider it a wall. When the event is going on, you can't dig or place blocks. Portals spawn in both directions, far enough away to be offscreen. Each portal puts out a constant stream of enemies, like, they're marching in single-file towards the crystal, and you fill up a bar like in goblin invasions to get to the next wave. Enemies come out in kind of a purple ethereal state until they take damage, then fall to the ground and walk.

It went for me: wave 1: melee goblins. Wave 2: melee goblins, plus ones that throw molotovs or something. Wave 3: melee, molotovs, and spear throwers. Wave 4: all three, plus flying dragonlings that divebomb the crystal and pass through blocks. These are the ones that did most of the damage to it for me. Wave five: all four of the previous plus something called a Dark Mage that I didn't get to see because I lost control of the situation and the crystal blew up.

You're going to want piercing attacks, because they all come at you in a solid, single-file line at a fairly slow pace, except the flyers. I used the goblin spiky balls to pretty good effect, though my landscape wasn't the best for it. I think this would be a LOT easier with a friend, so you can concentrate on a single side instead of both. I don't have any traps yet, but that or lava slicks would probably work well.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

I just tried the hardmode version of the event, got overwhelmed at wave three. I guess you're supposed to get the hardmode versions of the summoning towers to be able to stand up to things at all. Like I have moon lord killing gear and can make a complete joke of the pumpkin moon (though not the frost moon, I may need to adjust some things on my accessories), this was just absurd. It doesn't help that I think one of my stardust cells was stuck to the crystal and attacking it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Akett posted:

I just tried the hardmode version of the event, got overwhelmed at wave three. I guess you're supposed to get the hardmode versions of the summoning towers to be able to stand up to things at all. Like I have moon lord killing gear and can make a complete joke of the pumpkin moon (though not the frost moon, I may need to adjust some things on my accessories), this was just absurd. It doesn't help that I think one of my stardust cells was stuck to the crystal and attacking it.
I used something that summons a stationary rainbow I forget where it comes form, an accessory that dropped from my first try at the event to let me summon two of it, a stardust dragon, potions, and party bullets with a space dolphin machinegun. Went okay, I didn't get many medals for beating it.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Jesus christ this game just keeps giving and giving and giving and giving, and it's a decent iteration and content update each time with no money asked for, Terraria has been the best video game purchase I've ever made just on that metric alone

While realistically I don't expect any further games to keep to what Terraria does, I'm still a pretty much day-one buyer of whatever Red makes next, in an era where I'm just as happy to wait 2 years for a patched $20 version of most things

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I really do not enjoy the invasions/"moons" and I think they're far and away the worst part of the game. Badly balanced, tedious, frustrating, not fun even when you win, and rarely worth going through. And I wish they'd stop adding more stuff like it. My last playthrough I completely avoided them as much as possible.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

I played this in 1.0 and now i'm getting back into it.

Got up to Beetle Armor, got a nice assemblage of Celestial equipment, but moonlord keeps wrecking my poo poo.

People keep talking about 'mine cart loops', but how do you do those? Do you need teleporters to make the loop functional?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Mile'ionaha posted:

I played this in 1.0 and now i'm getting back into it.

Got up to Beetle Armor, got a nice assemblage of Celestial equipment, but moonlord keeps wrecking my poo poo.

People keep talking about 'mine cart loops', but how do you do those? Do you need teleporters to make the loop functional?

You can just use bumpers and a long rail to cheese the moon lord if you want. Bumpers are made by hammering one end of a rail segment so that it becomes a bumper instead of the standard "cart stopper". It's the only way I've actually defeated the moon lord but it's very effective if done correctly :)