Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

On the other hand, if you have a bad gut feeling, that can be a good reason to bail.

That's just what it is. My gut is telling me there's a way better team fit out there and that I could definitely get the same kind of money somewhere else. I interviewed with 3 people on the team and I didn't particularly think any of them were great. Very strange vibe, as I mentioned before almost like an interrogation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
So uhhh...I probably shouldn't watch Netflix while I'm working at the office right? I really want to. I've been working exclusively on performance enhancements for this old WPF app and the tedium is driving me crazy.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

Doghouse posted:

So uhhh...I probably shouldn't watch Netflix while I'm working at the office right? I really want to. I've been working exclusively on performance enhancements for this old WPF app and the tedium is driving me crazy.

Put it in a small window, about a quarter screen size, and treat it like music in the background. I did that with YouTube videos all the time at my old job. I regularly see my co-worker putting up the Daily Show or whatever on one of his monitors

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Stinky_Pete posted:

Put it in a small window, about a quarter screen size, and treat it like music in the background. I did that with YouTube videos all the time at my old job. I regularly see my co-worker putting up the Daily Show or whatever on one of his monitors

Yeah, I and several other people in my office do this occasionally as well. As long as the work is getting done I can't see why it would matter and, luckily, a programmer's work is more or less measurable.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Stinky_Pete posted:

Depending on what your office is like even a fullscreen thing might be OK? I don't know.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Doghouse posted:

I worked with a mid-thirties dude who watched dragon ball z at the office all day at work while waiting for stuff to compile. No one really seemed to mind.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

At my old job the CJs noticed that Netflix was taking up over half of the bandwidth for the whole office and slowing down file transfers which was a big deal because we imported a bunch of data every day multiple times per day. They blocked it and later that same day the CTO complained and had them unblock it lol

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Munkeymon posted:

At my old job the CJs noticed that Netflix was taking up over half of the bandwidth for the whole office and slowing down file transfers which was a big deal because we imported a bunch of data every day multiple times per day. They blocked it and later that same day the CTO complained and had them unblock it lol

Everyone knows you give the C*Os unfiltered internet!

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Hughlander posted:

Everyone knows you give the C*Os unfiltered internet!

I really wish I had thought to suggest that. IIRC, the day I decided I needed to leave that place was when I went to talk to our QA team about an issue I couldn't reproduce and when the team lead walked up on one of her subordinates watching Orange is The New Black (I think?), the first thing she said was, excitedly, "ooh! are you on the new season yet?!".

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
If you were a hiring manager at a place that uses predominantly Go, and gave out an assignment to someone (me) that has used primarily Java... would you prefer a very good solution in Java or a maybe less good solution in Go but demonstration that you can pick up a new language? I'm torn.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Good Will Hrunting posted:

If you were a hiring manager at a place that uses predominantly Go, and gave out an assignment to someone (me) that has used primarily Java... would you prefer a very good solution in Java or a maybe less good solution in Go but demonstration that you can pick up a new language? I'm torn.

Either put in the time to make a good solution in Go or do it in Java. I'd also just ask what language they wanted it in if they didn't specify.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

quote:

At {company}, we use a lot of Go and MySQL. For the challenge, we’d like you to be able to work in languages with which you’re comfortable, but we do suggest the following:
Backend: Go, Java, Python
Database: SQL (including SQLite, MySQL, Postgres)
- Use open source libraries rather than reinventing the wheel. Here are a couple of relevant tools that we use:
github.com/go-sql-driver/mysql
code.google.com/p/go.crypto/bcrypt

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Idiomatic Java.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
This is a work sample, if you don't think you're the best at Go quite yet, don't write it in Go. On the other hand, if the task is easy enough that you think you can write something pretty reasonable (Go does happen to make a lot of stuff straight forward) pick what results in less code to review through. I did some coding tests in Python and others in Javascript for the same companies depending upon what I felt was easier to get off the ground instead of more boilerplate or language abuse.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Yeah, that makes sense. I have a limited amount of time and I'm also interviewing at other places, so I'm leaning Java/Jetty/Postgres/Guice and other tech I'm familiar with.

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene
Oh man, my initial executive review at Google got denied and I was really bummed, but my recruiter appealed and I got approved! :woop: Super excited. I'll be working in MTV.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

muon posted:

Oh man, my initial executive review at Google got denied and I was really bummed, but my recruiter appealed and I got approved! :woop: Super excited. I'll be working in MTV.

Rad, when do you start?

There's a bunch of people in this thread in MTV if you ever want to get lunch or something

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene

apseudonym posted:

Rad, when do you start?

There's a bunch of people in this thread in MTV if you ever want to get lunch or something

I just got the news so I haven't started looking at relocation options, but most likely beginning of January. If Google is like every other place I've worked, it gets super slow in December as everyone uses vacation, which doesn't sound like a great time to start.

That'd be pretty sweet, I don't know anyone in the Bay Area and I need to find like minded people to play board games with.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

muon posted:

executive review at Google
Is this still "well everyone who actually spoke to this human and would work alongside them gave a thumbs up, but Page glanced at the resume for 30 seconds and said no"

asur
Dec 28, 2012

muon posted:

I just got the news so I haven't started looking at relocation options, but most likely beginning of January. If Google is like every other place I've worked, it gets super slow in December as everyone uses vacation, which doesn't sound like a great time to start.

That'd be pretty sweet, I don't know anyone in the Bay Area and I need to find like minded people to play board games with.

The first two weeks, one week I think if you aren't in tech, are orientation and have little to no interaction with your team so it doesn't really matter that December is slow or people are out. I would just start whenever is convenient for you. They normally allow you to start on any Monday, but I don't know if that changes in December.

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene

JawnV6 posted:

Is this still "well everyone who actually spoke to this human and would work alongside them gave a thumbs up, but Page glanced at the resume for 30 seconds and said no"
It's not Page, it's a team of executives but only one person of them reviews it? Not quite sure. The feedback came back to me and I understood their issues but I definitely didn't get why their (to me relatively minor) concerns would override the hiring committee's decision.

asur posted:

The first two weeks, one week I think if you aren't in tech, are orientation and have little to no interaction with your team so it doesn't really matter that December is slow or people are out. I would just start whenever is convenient for you. They normally allow you to start on any Monday, but I don't know if that changes in December.

Oh, cool, that's good to know. I know the last two weeks aren't available, presumably because of Christmas.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

asur posted:

Ehhhh I skipped almost all the training.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

JawnV6 posted:

From what I understand the hiring committee is the one that has the bulk of the power in hire/nohire decisions. Executive reviews tend to be just a final check before offer, and most of them that fail are strange cases like "this org's headcount budget has changed and there aren't enough chairs left" or "this is a bit weird to hire someone two years out of undergrad as a L5" kind of stuff, versus VPs just randomly torpedoing SWEs because they don't like their resume.

Don't quote me on that though.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Pollyanna posted:

My parents are skeptical of my job (which has improved quite a bit recently!) and are starting to not-so-subtly push me into going back to school/the military via getting an infosec job (long story). My impression of infosec as a field and industry is kinda negative. Really, the only reason it's being suggested is "people are getting hacked lots!" therefore job security, but that says to me to avoid the field instead of getting into it.

Am I correct in my impression of it? Given the infosec thread in SH/SC and all the insanity over it in the news, I'm kinda put off by the prospect.

You should join the military.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Join ISIS

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
After a 16 hour assignment I got a response that nitpicked one of my design decisions that I didn't even think was a bad decision, let alone the way he mentions to do it is not even feasible. The feedback doesn't even make any sense to me.

E: I didn't sign an NDA and I think I did a pretty good job with the assignment - can I put it on my Github?

Good Will Hrunting fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 16, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

After a 16 hour assignment I got a response that nitpicked one of my design decisions that I didn't even think was a bad decision, let alone the way he mentions to do it is not even feasible. The feedback doesn't even make any sense to me.

People who review work always feel like they need to find something wrong, even if there isn't actually anything wrong.

Or he's stupid. Take your pick.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

E: I didn't sign an NDA and I think I did a pretty good job with the assignment - can I put it on my Github?

P. sure it's yours to do with as you please as long as they didn't pay you for it

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
For the record, here's the critique. "metadata" was one resource, the one listed last on the assignment, and the one most poorly defined.

quote:

On the positive side, the structure of the project is straightforward and it’s easy to jump in and quickly get a high-level understanding of everything. Similarly, the Application and the resources are easy to understand and well-structured. I also appreciate the use of DI when building the service instances.

The way that the services handle metadata, though, was problematic. By relying on S3’s metadata, you would have been unable to accurately represent a file’s copies in a situation where there were more than one backends. The addMetadata method just hardcodes S3, but this wouldn’t work if the file had been stored in, for example, both S3 and Dropbox. The copies information is probably the most important part of the metadata, so we would’ve liked this functionality to have been really locked in.

Also, by relying on S3’s metadata, you were unable to treat the metadata abstractly, which would’ve been greatly preferable. If you had stored the metadata just like any other file, then TransferService wouldn’t have had to know anything about metadata and the resource classes could’ve managed all of it while treating the individual TransferService instances polymorphically. With the interface you defined, every implementation of TransferService would’ve needed to roll their own metadata logic.

Overall, we wanted to see well thought out interfaces (regardless of the completeness of their implementations), but instead we found ourselves wondering why certain classes were included, and in other cases why certain methods had the signature they had. For example, we assumed TransferService#addMetadata would be responsible for writing metadata to the backend when in fact it mutates the FileMetadata parameter and effectively acts like a read - why not just a method called getMetadata that accepts a key and returns a new instance of FileMetadata?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

If someone sent you that response as part of a "no thanks" after you did an uncompensated 16 hour project you should respond only using the words "gently caress" and "you".

It's insane to treat an assignment that big and uncompensated, that you work on in isolation, as a filter vs thing-to-discuss-in-interview.

(Perhaps don't take my recommendation literally :ohdear:)

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
One of the concerns is valid. I could have structured one of the methods differently and put it inside the resource as opposed to the service. That said, the solution they suggest for metadata isn't even possible given the 3rd party APIs. The only "abstract" way I could think of to solve that was some sort of use of reflection to examine methods of the objects at runtime. Which, uhh, yeah, mother gently caress that.

Good Will Hrunting fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 16, 2016

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
The recruiter I was using emailed me and said the company communicated that there were "fundamental issues once they dug deeper". Sorry that me, a developer with 2 years of experience, wasn't able to design a super awesome distributed file system on my own based on a lovely, vague Sublime text spec. That said, I'd be glad to post my code on my personal GitHub if anyone wants to review it and give me changes so I can at least get something out of it. I'll buy you plat or some poo poo in return.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
You've posted so many weird stories that I was growing a little skeptical, but that's a total bullshit response. That dude is nuts.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

rt4 posted:

You've posted so many weird stories that I was growing a little skeptical, but that's a total bullshit response. That dude is nuts.

I really do have some lovely stories, but I swear they are not fabricated at all. Some of my ex-managers from my first two jobs have the same responses and assure me that it's just a string of really bad luck and not to get discouraged. I'm still really junior and I know this, my experience is lacking a lot. But I'm not asking for bucketloads of money or anything out of the ordinary, I just want an environment where I can a.) actually build poo poo b.) be nurtured a little bit. That said, this is getting really really discouraging. 3 final round interviews where I was bounced, 1 offer from a place with the weakest team I interviewed with and no interest in discussing the other team as a fit.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's not like you seem like a liar, it's just such an unlikely streak of bad luck. Now that I think about it, around year two in my career I also had a bunch of interviews end without offers. It gets easier as you have more experience. Until you get "too old" or something, that is.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

The recruiter I was using

External recruiter? Almost without fail only hot garbage companies will use an external recruiter.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

rt4 posted:

It's not like you seem like a liar, it's just such an unlikely streak of bad luck. Now that I think about it, around year two in my career I also had a bunch of interviews end without offers. It gets easier as you have more experience. Until you get "too old" or something, that is.

my last job search i had about a dozen crazy interactions like that. it's just what the market is like right now if you don't have an extremely focused set of companies you're going after and people you know at said companies.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

External recruiter? Almost without fail only hot garbage companies will use an external recruiter.

Yes, he was recommended by a friend. Struggling to find time to search on my own anymore but this guy seems like kind of a typical know-it-all dev. Anyway, here's more feedback!

quote:

You’re right, I did a pretty bad job explaining myself.

The problem is that, even if every potential backend had it’s own metadata functionality, relying on that functionality would be lead to problems.The challenge description states "The idea is that if one of the backends is not available, _all_ endpoints should continue to function normally”, which is sort of the critical requirement here. If you had stored copies of a file in backends A, B and C, then the metadata should always reflect that copies were stored in A, B and C, even when one of those backends is not available - this would not be the case if you relied on a particular backend’s metadata functionality.

So, given that a backend’s metadata functionality is specific to the backend itself, you would need to somehow supplement that with information about where the copies are stored. So, the natural approach is to instead simply store the metadata alongside the actual files in each of the backends. This means that the backend interfaces only need to support pushing and pulling a file, and generating the backend-specific details about the location of the file (which could really just be returned from the push method). With this type of interface, the metadata must be treated abstractly, and hopefully I’ve made it clear how this follows from the requirements of the challenge.

I’d like to point out that this is not an edge case or a technicality but is in fact a core part of the challenge, which is all about how the system behaves when one of it’s backends is not available. It’s a practical concern that fundamentally informs software design in a service-oriented architecture.

Holy poo poo his style of writing is so autistic.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

It seems pretty reasonable to me. You haven't posted the challenge, but from this additional feedback it sounds like they wanted you to build a system that abstracted over multiple cloud storage providers and you gave them an interface that required S3. Maybe I'm missing something in my guesses here, but that seems like a pretty significant error.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Yes, he was recommended by a friend. Struggling to find time to search on my own anymore but this guy seems like kind of a typical know-it-all dev. Anyway, here's more feedback!

So every file store is supposed to store data about the location of the file in all of the others? That's not a bad idea, I guess, but it seems like it'd almost look like a DOS attack attempt to synchronize them or spin up a new one.