Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

wormil posted:

Ublock Origin + Firefox is blocking me from opening links. Anyone else running into this. It wasn't happening when I first installed it. on Marshmallow.

All links or just some links? Ublock will completely block links to most clickbait and malicious websites like buzzfeed.

It can also interfere with links to tracking heavy websites like Facebook depending on which lists you have enabled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I solved the disparency issue by putting a black wallpaper for lock screen. Hopefully Oneplus fixes the issue some day.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Tapet is pretty drat great, I might even fork up the $5 for premium if the bonus patterns look good.

Not sure if it was recommended here but, thank you to whoever put me into this app.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

The Duggler posted:

Tapet is pretty drat great, I might even fork up the $5 for premium if the bonus patterns look good.

Not sure if it was recommended here but, thank you to whoever put me into this app.

Buy it, it's worth it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Adding my agreement, Tapet is amazing, buy it.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

What app do peeps recommend so I can unzip a file?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I have $24 in app store credit. I already have Nine. What is worth looking at?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

peepsalot posted:

What app do peeps recommend so I can unzip a file?

I just use Solid Explorer. I think pretty much every file explorer I've even used let's you unzip files.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Anyone use OneDrive to sync photos? I find it agonizingly slow to browse folders with photos. I have mine split into individual folders, most with under two dozen files each (some with maybe 150 if I was taking burst shots of my nieces playing). When I pull up a folder, it seems to take forever to load all the thumbnails. When I tap on a file, it seems to take forever for the image to load. I mean, 30+ seconds before I get frustrated and leave the app. This is either on WiFi or mobile data. It's been like that pretty much ever since I started using OneDrive, so across 2-3 phones.

I like OneDrive cause it works great with my desktops and I started using it when it was still the cheapest service available. It just blows on the phone.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Uthor posted:

Anyone use OneDrive to sync photos? I find it agonizingly slow to browse folders with photos. I have mine split into individual folders, most with under two dozen files each (some with maybe 150 if I was taking burst shots of my nieces playing). When I pull up a folder, it seems to take forever to load all the thumbnails. When I tap on a file, it seems to take forever for the image to load. I mean, 30+ seconds before I get frustrated and leave the app. This is either on WiFi or mobile data. It's been like that pretty much ever since I started using OneDrive, so across 2-3 phones.

I like OneDrive cause it works great with my desktops and I started using it when it was still the cheapest service available. It just blows on the phone.

Why wouldn't you just use Google Photos? Is it due to wanting to manually organize everything or fear of the Google panopticon?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

LastInLine posted:

Why wouldn't you just use Google Photos? Is it due to wanting to manually organize everything or fear of the Google panopticon?

Because I started using this before I even had a smartphone and it worked with the Xbox 360 at the time. I already have a system that works for me. I rarely need to pull up old photos on my phone, but I sometimes want to and it gets annoying.

I try to keep SOME separation from Google. I mostly use a combination of OneDrive and Dropbox to avoid Photos and Drive and it works for me except for the one instance of it refreshing images slowly.

Was just wondering if it's me, if I have too many files on the drive, or what.

Edit: I guess I should have said that I use this for photos from my camera or that I get sent from family which I sync across computers with OneDrive. Photos on my phone I just have on my phone and automatically back up with Dropbox and that's not an issue.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 15, 2016

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
I have found over and over again in the past 4 years of using it that Google Photos misses/skips photos.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Scudworth posted:

I have found over and over again in the past 4 years of using it that Google Photos misses/skips photos.

It launched last year... https://googleblog.blogspot.ca/2015/05/picture-this-fresh-approach-to-photos.html

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Scudworth posted:

I've never had that problem and I've been using Google Photos since the start......

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Yeah and it missed all the photos from before it existed! :sad:

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Is the Facebook app still hot garbage?

Is Poweramp still the best music player for LOCAL files?

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Yes as this iteration. Prior to that it was part of g+, same exact poo poo and functionality without the stand alone aspect. And then, as now, it skips photos.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
What do you mean by 'skips photos'? Do you mean it doesn't upload some pictures you take?

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
Correct.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Alan_Shore posted:

Is the Facebook app still hot garbage?

Is Poweramp still the best music player for LOCAL files?

1) Probably. I just use Metal.

2) It's the best I've found.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Kheldarn posted:

1) Probably. I just use Metal.

2) It's the best I've found.

Cool, trying out Metal with a dark theme. Seems pretty good so far!

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I'm looking for a recipe app and I'm kind of particular. I haven't liked any that I have tried so far.
-clean interface, easy to read, navigate, and enter recipes. Most fail here.
-import from a wide variety of websites
-sync with browser
-no forced social features, at the very least be ignorable.

I'm willing to spend money, but only if I know it meets my needs first.

I might just end up using Evernote or something because all the recipe apps seem bad.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

eSporks posted:

I'm looking for a recipe app

Paprika is well liked... But hearing that, you might want to do what I do and just use Google Drive.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Heners_UK posted:

Paprika is well liked... But hearing that, you might want to do what I do and just use Google Drive.
IIRC paprika is the one that has a Windows app, but no chrome extension, correct?
My main computer is a Chromebook.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

I don't know about you, but my ancient family photo albums are vague, unorganised, and at best have a stack of photos + negatives inside wallets with labels like '[spincube] is 12', or 'April 1992': which doesn't play nicely with a system that instead insists on sorting by metadata.

I know there's ways around this by fiddling with date/time tags, but for thousands of photos that's out of the question; it also ignores that sometimes, with physical family photos, the point is to pick an album at random and enjoy the act of flipping through memories of a specific time and place. Again, yeah, there's ways of emulating photo albums like that, but it's another headache and the 'timeline' thing doesn't play nice with the filing system we've already been using forever for physical photos.

It also helps that OneDrive sharing is as simple as it comes: it's not as fancy as Google Photos, but for sharing backups of our irreplaceable memories it's as simple as it comes, with a structure that's already familiar.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

eSporks posted:

IIRC paprika is the one that has a Windows app, but no chrome extension, correct?
My main computer is a Chromebook.

Correct, there is a windows app available, but nothing that's just on the web.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Google released a new app for "scanning" old photos into Google Photos and it works great, I've tested it on a few already

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/11/15/google-announces-photoscan-app-digitize-old-photos-improved-editing-tools-google-photos/

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.photos.scanner

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

spincube posted:

I don't know about you, but my ancient family photo albums are vague, unorganised, and at best have a stack of photos + negatives inside wallets with labels like '[spincube] is 12', or 'April 1992': which doesn't play nicely with a system that instead insists on sorting by metadata.

I know there's ways around this by fiddling with date/time tags, but for thousands of photos that's out of the question; it also ignores that sometimes, with physical family photos, the point is to pick an album at random and enjoy the act of flipping through memories of a specific time and place. Again, yeah, there's ways of emulating photo albums like that, but it's another headache and the 'timeline' thing doesn't play nice with the filing system we've already been using forever for physical photos.

It also helps that OneDrive sharing is as simple as it comes: it's not as fancy as Google Photos, but for sharing backups of our irreplaceable memories it's as simple as it comes, with a structure that's already familiar.

But, disorganized folders and whatnot are the very thing Google Photos is the best at?

And yes, this is great. I did about 30old photos out of albums today without even removing them from the sleeves.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Thermopyle posted:

But, disorganized folders and whatnot are the very thing Google Photos is the best at?

Maybe I'm not being clear: outside of family holidays, birthdays, Christmases and so forth, random moments taken on film camera and scanned - kids playing in the yard, etc. - don't have obvious date & time metadata that Google Photos needs to sort and display images.

I mean I could take the 'April 1992' wallet and say well, OK, these were taken on the 1st of April 1992, picture 1 was taken at 00:00, picture 2 at 00:01, picture 3 at 00:02, and so on. It'd be a headache to take a guess and assign a date taken for every single photograph of the hundreds I have scanned, when I can keep them as img_001, img_002, img_003 etc. inside the 'April 1992' folder stored on OneDrive (or any other cloud storage, really) - mimicking the photos kept inside the physical 'April 1992' wallet.

If there were a way of using vague metadata tags like 'Easter 1995' for photos, rather than having to think up potentially incorrect but exact metadata just to satisfy Google Photo's 'timeline' organisation, I wouldn't mind.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

spincube posted:

Maybe I'm not being clear: outside of family holidays, birthdays, Christmases and so forth, random moments taken on film camera and scanned - kids playing in the yard, etc. - don't have obvious date & time metadata that Google Photos needs to sort and display images.

I mean I could take the 'April 1992' wallet and say well, OK, these were taken on the 1st of April 1992, picture 1 was taken at 00:00, picture 2 at 00:01, picture 3 at 00:02, and so on. It'd be a headache to take a guess and assign a date taken for every single photograph of the hundreds I have scanned, when I can keep them as img_001, img_002, img_003 etc. inside the 'April 1992' folder stored on OneDrive (or any other cloud storage, really) - mimicking the photos kept inside the physical 'April 1992' wallet.

If there were a way of using vague metadata tags like 'Easter 1995' for photos, rather than having to think up potentially incorrect but exact metadata just to satisfy Google Photo's 'timeline' organisation, I wouldn't mind.

I think the problem is that you're trying to fit the wrong paradigm into Google Photos.

With Google Photos instead of organizing stuff into folders and by date, you just do a search for "christmas with Sally" or whatever and it shows you those photos through the magic of TensorFlow (aka. machine learning). Whether you want to live in that paradigm is a different story, but it's quite good at the paradigm I described.

An hour ago I scanned an old photo with the new photo scanning app from Google that was originally photographed in Disney World. Literally, the only disney-ish thing in the photo is a person dressed in a Belle (from beauty and the beast) dress. I searched "<insert_daughters_name> in disney world", and the photo I scanned popped up. I had associated no metadata with it at all.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 16, 2016

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Thermopyle posted:

And yes, this is great. I did about 30old photos out of albums today without even removing them from the sleeves.

How long did it take you? I've been running old photos through a high speed document scanner at work but it's not made for that kind of thing so the digital photos are washed out and dark. This might end up being a better option.

edit: also, since Google won't get their poo poo together and add QR scanning to the Camera, what's the next best option? Tell me it's not still Goggles.

Vykk.Draygo fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 16, 2016

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Not compatible with the Pixel XL? Huh?

http://i.imgur.com/rP1kuZF.jpg

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

How long did it take you? I've been running old photos through a high speed document scanner at work but it's not made for that kind of thing so the digital photos are washed out and dark. This might end up being a better option.

I just timed doing one photo and it took 16 seconds.

You can tell it hits the CPU pretty good doing the computations and it'd probably be faster with a phone faster than my 6P.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

hotsauce posted:

Gotta be a region thing. I'm running it on my Pixel XL in Canada right now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

hotsauce posted:

Comes up as installable on my Pixel. Probably just a Google store quirk until it rolls out completely.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I can't believe there's no way to set a gif as a wallpaper. All the apps are lovely and out of date. You think that would be super easy.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Alan_Shore posted:

I can't believe there's no way to set a gif as a wallpaper. All the apps are lovely and out of date. You think that would be super easy.

Gifs hit CPU's super hard. This would be a pretty bad idea.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I used to use AnimGIF live wallpaper for that, but yeah, super not worth it.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

How do Live Wallpapers not use much battery and CPU? Is it because they're videos instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Just use Tapet

I love this.