Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Joe Son posted:

Is Gsync something that will be improved on, hardware-wise, in the upcoming future? I'm trying decide if I want to pay the premium now or wait until they start selling gsync 2.0 modules or whatever it is that's inside the monitors.

I don't think they're going to go back to the module thing. I have one of the very few monitors that ever supported upgrading to G-Sync and by the time I got it the modules were out of production and expensive as hell on eBay with no indication that they'll return.

I think the "2.0" version is already out as well, wasn't that where they made it work over HDMI?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Samsung and LG fight each other in this segment with competing IPS panels: Samsung S32F351 and LG 32MP58HQ-P. You can also buy a sad, sad QNIX gaming monitor that only has a 144Hz TN panel with no variable refresh (-Sync) at all: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2RY4AS9055
Thanks for pointing out some options. Both of them seem to be available at the local (Canadian) Best Buy. I think I'm going to have to physically check out whatever's available locally, do some research into the 4K options, and maybe just put up with what I have right now until I can afford a new monitor and possibly a video card to drive it properly.

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.
I'm in Japan and in the market for a 1080p monitor around 24" inch. The HDMI connector on my GFX(GTX970) has shat itself, so I'd like to get something with display-port. I'm guessing IPS is the way to go and I have have a budget of 30,000yen.

I'm surrounded by Iiyama and Eizo monitors, but it's hard to find decent information about them. XB2485WSU-2 seems real nice if I can find a deal, but I doubt it.

Can anyone offer a suggestion for a good monitor, or about the quality of Iiyama and Eizo monitors?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Daddys hot grill posted:

I'm in Japan and in the market for a 1080p monitor around 24" inch. The HDMI connector on my GFX(GTX970) has shat itself, so I'd like to get something with display-port. I'm guessing IPS is the way to go and I have have a budget of 30,000yen.

I'm surrounded by Iiyama and Eizo monitors, but it's hard to find decent information about them. XB2485WSU-2 seems real nice if I can find a deal, but I doubt it.

Can anyone offer a suggestion for a good monitor, or about the quality of Iiyama and Eizo monitors?

Eizo has always reviewed pretty well.

They make a lot of utilitarian looking professional displays, so I'm not aware if they have anything really marketed to consumers, but Japan is kinda weird WRT markets.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists

Rashomon posted:

I've had a Shimian 1440p monitor that I got on eBay about 5 years ago, at the beginning of the "cheap Korean monitor" craze. I'm building a new computer right now, mostly for gaming and video editing (semi-pro), and I'm curious if there's anything out there that would be an easy and cost effective upgrade that keeps the things I like about this monitor (1440p, IPS) and is maybe better in some ways (better stand/mount, higher refresh rate, maybe something that works with G-Sync?, even a smaller bezel or better connectivity would be a small plus). Anyone have thoughts?

Anyone have any ideas about this? Or, another way to ask, is what is the current best <$500 1440p monitor for gaming and does it have anything to offer over my Korean no-frills monitor from 5 years ago?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Wasabi the J posted:

Eizo has always reviewed pretty well.

They make a lot of utilitarian looking professional displays, so I'm not aware if they have anything really marketed to consumers, but Japan is kinda weird WRT markets.

I'm aware of one consumer screen that's really top end and has a lot of fancy features, the Foris FS 2735, I think foris is a customer line.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Rashomon posted:

Anyone have any ideas about this? Or, another way to ask, is what is the current best <$500 1440p monitor for gaming and does it have anything to offer over my Korean no-frills monitor from 5 years ago?

Amazon has Dell's GSync-equipped 24" (TN-paneled -_-) for $399.99 at the moment: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IOO4SGK

I'm told it's a very decent TN panel...but it's still a TN panel. This is the lowest it's ever been priced.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Oh wow, I didn't know ASUS makes a 23.6" 4K IPS G-Sync monitor now. That's a lotta PPI. Kind of interested in seeing how ship rigging and other tiny details show up on World of Warships with it and such http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236690

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Oh wow, I didn't know ASUS makes a 23.6" 4K IPS G-Sync monitor now. That's a lotta PPI. Kind of interested in seeing how ship rigging and other tiny details show up on World of Warships with it and such http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236690

It's not G-Sync - it's Adaptive Sync. Still looks like a good monitor, even if I'm a bit skeptical of the price.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

So whats the hot 2560x1600 27" these days? Still the korean ones?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Nothing. There's almost no 16:10 monitors left.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

There's some Korean ones like:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Perfect-Pixel-FIRST-F301GD-LIVE-30-LED-2560x1600-LG-IPS-DVI-D-PC-Monitor-Matte-/121296923082
but they're not gonna have any of the hot new features or any features, really. The one I linked is also dual link DVI so you need to have a video card that can support it.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Sorry I meant 2560x1440, yes.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I'm about to get a Dell UltraSharp U2414H after some recommendations and looking things up online. Does that sound like a good call? I'm kinda clueless as far as screens are concerned.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I've narrowed it down that I'm getting behind the eye headaches from my two external work monitors. The laptop, my personal laptop, and home external screen do not do this. Would this bee a sign of an old monitor, uncalibrated, or something else? All I can find on Google is people talking about staring at monitors for long periods of time.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

huhu posted:

I've narrowed it down that I'm getting behind the eye headaches from my two external work monitors. The laptop, my personal laptop, and home external screen do not do this. Would this bee a sign of an old monitor, uncalibrated, or something else? All I can find on Google is people talking about staring at monitors for long periods of time.

Probably PWM backlight. If you want to diagnose, turn them up to full brightness and see if they still give headaches. PWM dims the backlight not by making it dimmer but having it flicker very fast.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

xthetenth posted:

Probably PWM backlight. If you want to diagnose, turn them up to full brightness and see if they still give headaches. PWM dims the backlight not by making it dimmer but having it flicker very fast.

Ah yes, that would make sense. I felt the screen was too bright so I turned it down which was probably about when the headaches started. Is there some alternative way to make a screen less bright(maybe not the right word, intensity?) besides reducing the brightness?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

huhu posted:

Ah yes, that would make sense. I felt the screen was too bright so I turned it down which was probably about when the headaches started. Is there some alternative way to make a screen less bright(maybe not the right word, intensity?) besides reducing the brightness?

No, not really. You need new monitors that are flicker free. I went through the same problem myself and the only solution was a new monitor, luckily flicker free is a common feature on a lot of monitors these days.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

luckily flicker free is a common feature on a lot of monitors these days.

It was also when we used CCFLs instead LEDs for the backlight, but hey ho

GettaRobo
Oct 18, 2009
I've got a new rig with a GTX 1070 in it that I am looking to get a monitor for. The last monitor that I bought was an Asus PB278Q that I got on sale for $350 a couple years ago. It is easily the best display I've ever had in comparison to a 24" Samsung monitor and an ancient L1900J I have. Definitely would like to stick with 1440p and an IPS panel preferably. I live in Canada, so that will likely limit my options, but my budget is loosely somewhere around $400 - $500. I would have happily continued using the monitor I have, but my new rig is not replacing the old one. Can someone make me some recommendations?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

GettaRobo posted:

I've got a new rig with a GTX 1070 in it that I am looking to get a monitor for. The last monitor that I bought was an Asus PB278Q that I got on sale for $350 a couple years ago. It is easily the best display I've ever had in comparison to a 24" Samsung monitor and an ancient L1900J I have. Definitely would like to stick with 1440p and an IPS panel preferably. I live in Canada, so that will likely limit my options, but my budget is loosely somewhere around $400 - $500. I would have happily continued using the monitor I have, but my new rig is not replacing the old one. Can someone make me some recommendations?

The PB278Q is still your best option for $500 CAD, to spend less you would need to go with a smaller or lower end monitor. The BenQ GW2765HT(review) is a good option if you want to get something cheaper but not quite as good as the PB278Q.

Between the two I would go with the BenQ, it's a lot cheaper but only a little bit worse than the Asus.

GettaRobo
Oct 18, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The PB278Q is still your best option for $500 CAD, to spend less you would need to go with a smaller or lower end monitor. The BenQ GW2765HT(review) is a good option if you want to get something cheaper but not quite as good as the PB278Q.

Between the two I would go with the BenQ, it's a lot cheaper but only a little bit worse than the Asus.

I kind of figured that might be the case, but wanted to be sure. Much appreciated.

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004
I'm getting a 144hz gsync monitor and would like know something: For those games that have a hard 60 fps cap such as Dark Souls 3, is it advisable to run the monitor at 60hz, 120hz or 144hz?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Otakufag posted:

I'm getting a 144hz gsync monitor and would like know something: For those games that have a hard 60 fps cap such as Dark Souls 3, is it advisable to run the monitor at 60hz, 120hz or 144hz?

Gsync should just adjust the refresh rate to 60Hz for those games, that's why it's there.

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Gsync should just adjust the refresh rate to 60Hz for those games, that's why it's there.

But is there any advantage in running 60fps capped games at 120hz? Since 120 is a multiple of 60 it shouldn't cause any problems, does it?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Otakufag posted:

But is there any advantage in running 60fps capped games at 120hz? Since 120 is a multiple of 60 it shouldn't cause any problems, does it?

You don't understand, regardless of what refresh rate you have the monitor set to the monitor will adjust its refresh rate(Hz) to match the game FPS, if the game runs at 60Hz the monitor will run at 60Hz for that game regardless of what the refresh rate is set to in the monitor's OSD or the GPU control panel, if the game puts enough strain on your computer that it drops down to 55 FPS for a few seconds the monitor will run at 55Hz for that time and so on.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
I use the monitor's limit to keep Skyrim at 60 after disabling VSync since physics go nuts over 60. That's the only use I have had for it, otherwise I just leave it at 144.

Ample
Dec 26, 2007
Can someone talk me out of buying the dell s2417dg 24 inch for $400.00? It seems like such a good deal but I keep telling myself to wait for Black Friday. 165hz, fantastic tn color accuracy, pixel density and so on. If I'm interested in buying a "gaming" monitor is there anything that comes close at this price level?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Ample posted:

Can someone talk me out of buying the dell s2417dg 24 inch for $400.00? It seems like such a good deal but I keep telling myself to wait for Black Friday. 165hz, fantastic tn color accuracy, pixel density and so on. If I'm interested in buying a "gaming" monitor is there anything that comes close at this price level?

It's pretty rare for high end monitors to go on sale for Black Friday, but if that price isn't going anywhere you should wait since there is no knowing what will happen. Even if that monitor does not go on sale what if the 27" version goes on sale for like $450? Or if one of the 27" IPS versions goes on sale for $500?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

This question is probably an obvious one, but: I want to get a 40" 4K monitor, and I want to drop less than a grand. I'm basically playing roulette on Korean resale, aren't I?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
A bit outside the norm for this thread, but can anyone point me to any good sources for small but relatively high-resolution displays?

I'm looking to restart my car PC project but the 480p Lilliput and Xenarc displays I was looking at ten years ago just don't cut it anymore, though they still sell basically the same things. I'd rather not do what it seems most do and just mount a tablet to the dash, I like Android but it's a lot harder to integrate random interface hardware beyond basic bluetooth OBD adapters and USB audio.

I'm looking for something in the 7-9" range, preferably 16:9. 1080p is where I'm mostly thinking, but 720p would be acceptable at the smaller end and I'll never complain about more pixels. HDMI input strongly preferred. Integrated touch would be nice but not necessary.

I thought it'd be easier to find this sort of thing thanks to smartphones and tablets making small 1080p/1440p displays common, but aside from the iPad DisplayPort adapters there doesn't seem to be much about using their displays with a normal computer. Unfortunately those are larger than I'd like because they're 4:3 and being DisplayPort only severely limits my choices for the core PC. Almost everything worth using has HDMI or something that can be cheaply adapted to HDMI (DVI, DisplayPort++).

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I want to buy a Samsung KS8500 for the HDR and while my Denon 2113 has 4k passthrough, it only has HDMI 1.4 with out HDCP 2.2 :(

Am I going to need a new AVR?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Basic Chunnel posted:

This question is probably an obvious one, but: I want to get a 40" 4K monitor, and I want to drop less than a grand. I'm basically playing roulette on Korean resale, aren't I?

It's a TV, but this is considered one of the best options for a TV to use as a monitor. I was really happy using an LG model for the most part, but I wouldn't recommend that model because it had issues with dimming that couldn't be turned off fully. The Sony will even take 1080p@120Hz input as well.

Edit: Fixed the link.

Sinestro fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 16, 2016

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

xthetenth posted:

Or point a camera at it and see if you get rolling shutter artifacts in the form of horizontal bands across the screen. That should tell you immediately. Using a monitor a full brightness might trigger a headache for its own reasons.

Basic Chunnel posted:

There is the Seiki Pro SM40UNP, but it's a budget MVA panel, so it has bad gamma shift outside the center of the screen at typical computer viewing distances (2.5-4 feet) and awful backlight uniformity. The taskbar and Start button on the one I tried were considerably darker than the rest of the screen. It also had motion artifacts I could only describe as "vertical interlacing". This was very apparent when playing games that use 2D pixel art like Axiom Verge and a flickering sprite was being displayed (e.g. damage invincibility frames). The Seiki uses a Samsung Super MVA panel, while some of the others like the Philips BDM4065UC and Crossover 404K use a TP Vision panel, but I believe those have the same weaknesses with gamma shift and backlight uniformity.

I'd also advise against 40" based on ergonomics alone. It was too much vertical space for me and it was doing a number on my neck. If you're willing to go down to 32", there's the Seiki SM32UNP ($400), which I assume is the same IPS-type (AH-VA) panel used in all the other 32" 4K displays (Acer B326HK, BenQ BL3201PH, Crossover 324K). Those other monitors had issues with input lag and a single garbage frame appearing every 1-4 days, so I can't tell if the Seiki has the same problems though.

Edit: never mind, the Amazon listing for the Seiki 32" says it uses Super MVA. I didn't know that tech made it to displays with > 110 ppi yet. I wonder if has the same shortcomings as the 40"

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Nov 16, 2016

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

wolrah posted:

A bit outside the norm for this thread, but can anyone point me to any good sources for small but relatively high-resolution displays?

I'm looking to restart my car PC project but the 480p Lilliput and Xenarc displays I was looking at ten years ago just don't cut it anymore, though they still sell basically the same things. I'd rather not do what it seems most do and just mount a tablet to the dash, I like Android but it's a lot harder to integrate random interface hardware beyond basic bluetooth OBD adapters and USB audio.

I'm looking for something in the 7-9" range, preferably 16:9. 1080p is where I'm mostly thinking, but 720p would be acceptable at the smaller end and I'll never complain about more pixels. HDMI input strongly preferred. Integrated touch would be nice but not necessary.

I thought it'd be easier to find this sort of thing thanks to smartphones and tablets making small 1080p/1440p displays common, but aside from the iPad DisplayPort adapters there doesn't seem to be much about using their displays with a normal computer. Unfortunately those are larger than I'd like because they're 4:3 and being DisplayPort only severely limits my choices for the core PC. Almost everything worth using has HDMI or something that can be cheaply adapted to HDMI (DVI, DisplayPort++).

There are a lot of various bare screens on eBay with driver boards like:
Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/191334234506
Often they have lower native resolutions (I think that one is 1280x800) but if your doing a custom case it's not a bad solution.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Just want to confirm before I jump on it, this is the Acer XB271HU that's been recommended earlier in this thread with the G-sync and 1440p?

http://www.staples.com/Acer-27in-Predator-Gaming-Monitor-Refurbished/product_2256385

I know it's refurbished but I've never had a problem with that and this is the best price I've found.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Biodome posted:

Just want to confirm before I jump on it, this is the Acer XB271HU that's been recommended earlier in this thread with the G-sync and 1440p?

http://www.staples.com/Acer-27in-Predator-Gaming-Monitor-Refurbished/product_2256385

I know it's refurbished but I've never had a problem with that and this is the best price I've found.

The specs match up. Acer themselves have a refurbished sale web portal, but generally the Predators don't last long on there.

Case in point: http://acerrecertified.com/Acer-Predator-Monitor-27-4k-UHD-3840-x-2160-IPS-Panel-XB271HK-bmiprz

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 16, 2016

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Biodome posted:

They do explicitly mention IPS and a 4ms pixel response on that page. It's good that you checked because Acer used to do this thing (and may still do it) where they would take one of their popular models (like the XB270HU) and tack on a suffix that may or may not appear on the product page that indicates that it's the crapper TN version.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Thanks all! Really good advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

Biodome posted:

That's the one. And that is a good price on it.