Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Youtube doubler is a (very mobile-unfriendly!) thing, so it's doable. Feasable, the jury's out on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Thankfully, no developer ever put anything of value on the gamepad, so you can exclude it entirely and get the same experience.

Anemone
Dec 28, 2008

piak piak
I'm doing a World of Final Fantasy Nuzlocke run and would like some feedback if that's ok. These videos don't get many views but I don't promote them either (not sure where to since they're not really a hot topic and I think they take some investment to get into?)

Any suggestions are appreciated!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klpc5jtbSS8

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Anemone posted:

I'm doing a World of Final Fantasy Nuzlocke run and would like some feedback if that's ok. These videos don't get many views but I don't promote them either (not sure where to since they're not really a hot topic and I think they take some investment to get into?)

Any suggestions are appreciated!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klpc5jtbSS8

get off the screen!

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

HaroldofTheRock posted:

I had a thought. How practical/unrealistic would it be to LP a Wiiu game where you capture the TV screen and the gamepad, and load them as two videos that need to be watched at the same time? The viewer could either watch them in windowed mode or if they have two monitors, one on each. (I really dislike PIP.)

I wouldn't watch it, honestly. The best way to go about it is probably to just edit the gamepad in whenever it gets relevant.

Anemone
Dec 28, 2008

piak piak

Namtab posted:

get off the screen!

It's weird because I get really different feedback about that depending on who I ask. A lot of people tell me they like being able to see my face emote, and I definitely understand not wanting to see people too. It's a hard choice and it seems to be a matter of preference for people, so I'm still undecided there. Thank you though!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Anemone posted:

It's weird because I get really different feedback about that depending on who I ask. A lot of people tell me they like being able to see my face emote, and I definitely understand not wanting to see people too. It's a hard choice and it seems to be a matter of preference for people, so I'm still undecided there. Thank you though!

It's taken as a given on SA that face cams are dumb in the vast majority of situations. The focus is supposed to be on the game, not the LPer. If you do post videos with facecam around here, expect to get thoroughly roasted by the audience, whether or not you're one of the exceptions to the rule.

Anemone
Dec 28, 2008

piak piak

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It's taken as a given on SA that face cams are dumb in the vast majority of situations. The focus is supposed to be on the game, not the LPer. If you do post videos with facecam around here, expect to get thoroughly roasted by the audience, whether or not you're one of the exceptions to the rule.

Thanks yeah, that makes sense. I get it if goons have a certain LP aesthetic, and I'm not going to judge anyone for that. I'll check out some of my videos with the cam removed out of curiosity- though I did decide to use it without being oblivious to the contention some people hold. Thanks for the feedback everyone, feel free to roast me all you want.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

CJacobs posted:

You could do the video part fairly easily using a site like Youtubedoubler or similar, which syncs the videos and plays them side by side.

For some reason, youtubedoubler never works on my computer. One video stops playing the moment the other one starts. :confused:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

For some reason, youtubedoubler never works on my computer. One video stops playing the moment the other one starts. :confused:

Do you use the Youtube Center extension? It has an option to have only one instance of YT player playing at all times, which IIRC is on by default.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

There are two things majorly wrong with facecams.
1. Its another layer of presentation and editing that you have to worry about getting right (and many people dont), and if you arent worrying about and putting it there for the sole sake of facecam why is it there in the first place.
2. It makes periods of dead air intensely awkward. Dead air is a perfectly acceptable thing to have, and not many people can carry a pokemon/RPG-esque VLP with full unbroken commentary throughout the entirety of the supposed hours of grinding and minutia while still keeping up the entertainment factor.
(And if you are holy poo poo stop doing LPs and get into something with a salary)

Anemone
Dec 28, 2008

piak piak

Rigged Death Trap posted:

There are two things majorly wrong with facecams.
1. Its another layer of presentation and editing that you have to worry about getting right (and many people dont), and if you arent worrying about and putting it there for the sole sake of facecam why is it there in the first place.
2. It makes periods of dead air intensely awkward. Dead air is a perfectly acceptable thing to have, and not many people can carry a pokemon/RPG-esque VLP with full unbroken commentary throughout the entirety of the supposed hours of grinding and minutia while still keeping up the entertainment factor.
(And if you are holy poo poo stop doing LPs and get into something with a salary)

I guess the question then is do I carry it or not?

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug

Suspicious Dish posted:

Thankfully, no developer ever put anything of value on the gamepad, so you can exclude it entirely and get the same experience.

Eh, there are a few here and there that make good use...unfortunately it's a minority. I wish the wiiu took off better, but that's a conversation for another thread.

IGgy IGsen posted:

I wouldn't watch it, honestly. The best way to go about it is probably to just edit the gamepad in whenever it gets relevant.

If the gamepad video didn't interest you, would you still watch the tv video? Assuming, of course, you weren't missing anything too important by doing this which would be dependent on the game.

HaroldofTheRock fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 15, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

HaroldofTheRock posted:

Eh, there are a few here and there that make good use...unfortunately it's a minority. I wish the wiiu took off better, but that's a conversation for another thread.

If the gamepad video didn't interest you, would you still watch the tv video?

Maple Leaf did a successful LP of the WiiU Star Fox game, and only rarely switched in the gamepad view. When he did, he just replaced the normal video view with the gamepad view, so the viewer couldn't see both at once. To me this makes sense; part of an LP is helping to direct the viewer's attention to where it needs to be to understand what's going on, and just permanently showing them two distinct views all the time isn't very helpful in that sense.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
Fair enough. My biggest concern is trying to represent the game as accurately as possible, but there's always the problem of overdoing it.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
When Chip and Ironicus LPed The Wonderful 101, didn't he put the gamepad view into the corner when he wanted to show something?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Mraagvpeine posted:

When Chip and Ironicus LPed The Wonderful 101, didn't he put the gamepad view into the corner when he wanted to show something?

Chip did both, for Gamepad-only sections he straight up switched the main screen to the Gamepad and for the combined sections he did PiP. For the few times he went back into a Gamepad-only section he had already done he did PiP there too.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Worth mentioning; the screen switching used in that TW101 LP is actually an in-game feature. Including the picture in picture mode.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
My RSS Feed for the Let's Play forum started acting up and keeps renotifying me about the last 20-40 threads to have been posted. Anyone else having that happen to them?

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

I remember someone else had that problem a number of months back but I'm not sure if they solved it. There's nothing unusual about the rss feed itself (I'm assuming it's the cygnustm.net one)

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Polsy posted:

I remember someone else had that problem a number of months back but I'm not sure if they solved it. There's nothing unusual about the rss feed itself (I'm assuming it's the cygnustm.net one)

That's really too bad... I'll see if I can find something online. Maybe it's my RSS extension? I use RSS Feed Reader, is there a better free one for Chrome? Thanks for the help either way.

e: seems to work okay again, beats me what fixed it

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Nov 16, 2016

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I've been having the same problem for a long while and don't know how to fix it. I'm guessing it somehow refreshes old entries regularly and some readers can't deal with that.

My solution is to use the new LP thread as main source for new LPs.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I made an IFTTT recipe for getting alerts on my phone when a new LP is posted. I've not had much trouble with it.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Has it ever been brought up to require SSLP or VLP in thread titles here? I know there are people both ways who just cant enjoy the other, so it seems like it'd help a bit. It really sucks seeing a thread for a game you really wanted LPd but then you find its in the format you dont enjoy, you know?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I would be for that, because really there's no harm in doing it. Maybe not the kind of requirement where there are consequences if you don't do it though, besides your thread getting renamed to add it.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
That seems...unnecessary? Like, it would take 5 seconds to find out whether it's video, screenshots, or some weird hybrid thing just by clicking on the thread and thread title space isn't exactly overflowing. It's like what, 75 characters? A minimum of 5 of which would be eaten up by this.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hmm, thinking about it more, I think it would be better to try to standardize it instead of making it a rule. That way it'd become standard to do it but not exactly necessary; because you can ignore stuff that's standardized if you have a reason to do so, but if it's a rule you can't.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Artix posted:

That seems...unnecessary? Like, it would take 5 seconds to find out whether it's video, screenshots, or some weird hybrid thing just by clicking on the thread and thread title space isn't exactly overflowing. It's like what, 75 characters? A minimum of 5 of which would be eaten up by this.

Agreeing with this. It's super pedantic to put a rule like that in place.

e: Not to mention that most of the time if you know the game, you know how it's going to be LPed. Dark Souls gets VLPs, Ultima gets an SSLP, and so on.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Nov 20, 2016

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

StrixNebulosa posted:

e: Not to mention that most of the time if you know the game, you know how it's going to be LPed. Dark Souls gets VLPs, Ultima gets an SSLP, and so on.

A good chunk of the lps around here are for RPGs, which dont really agree with that. I mean theres a new Pokemon VLP for Red, nuff said.

I definitely agree that rule was a bit of a strong word and standardizing works better.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

MythosDragon posted:

A good chunk of the lps around here are for RPGs, which dont really agree with that. I mean theres a new Pokemon VLP for Red, nuff said.

I definitely agree that rule was a bit of a strong word and standardizing works better.

...nuff...said, what? Of course there are exceptions that prove the rule. A Pokemon VLP is genuinely surprising because it's rare.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Maybe you could turn on the feature that Ask/Tell and SAMart have that adds another tag to the thread that indicates what type of thread it is.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Double Punctuation posted:

Maybe you could turn on the feature that Ask/Tell and SAMart have that adds another tag to the thread that indicates what type of thread it is.

Can you tell me more?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Just click the drat thread this is literally not an issue. If there are links it's a VLP and if there are pictures it's an SSLP. Easy peasy.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I'm with Artix. While that might seem like a cool feature on it's head, it's kind of useless when people can literally see for themselves if an LP is a video, screenshot, text, or some other malformed hybrid just by skimming the OP. And if they can't then something has gone catastrophically wrong on one end of the Author-Reader spectrum or the other.

What's more, the MASTER LIST is a pretty decent catalogue of which LPs are what type. Just flip the status in the search bar to "Ongoing" and do an empty search and it will provide you with as close to a complete list of LPs currently underway and what kind they are. It's not perfect by any means, since it's largely self-reporting and goon curated, but it's better than nothing.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Nov 20, 2016

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.
I wrote this user script for Proteus over 8 years ago (gently caress me) because he was just as lazy about clicking once and looking. I updated it to work with the new forums layout and also removed some video hosts because I don't think anyone is hosting on gamevee or google video anymore.

It adds an ask/tell style second tag to the forum list which defaults to something generic, to avoid spamming the forum with requests. If you click once it will try and guess the type by whether there are more links to video hosts or forum posts, and updates the tag. You can then click it again just to toggle locally between if you want.

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
search engine in the world!"
-- The GoogleProg
The OP suggests coming here with Archive-related issues: I've been trying to find a way to submit / suggest finished LPs for archiving for a while now, but haven't found a way (submitting to Baldurk via the LPArchive admin email address never gets a response).
I'm a bit worried about some older high-quality LPs like Luisfe's SMT Strange Journey which haven't gotten archived.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Ariamaki posted:

The OP suggests coming here with Archive-related issues: I've been trying to find a way to submit / suggest finished LPs for archiving for a while now, but haven't found a way (submitting to Baldurk via the LPArchive admin email address never gets a response).
I'm a bit worried about some older high-quality LPs like Luisfe's SMT Strange Journey which haven't gotten archived.

Baldurk generally only answers once he's gotten a draft of the LP up on the archive site, which can take a while at times. I've never had an issue archiving any of my LPs by simply waiting a bit. poo poo just takes time.

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
search engine in the world!"
-- The GoogleProg

TheMcD posted:

Baldurk generally only answers once he's gotten a draft of the LP up on the archive site, which can take a while at times. I've never had an issue archiving any of my LPs by simply waiting a bit. poo poo just takes time.

Gotcha. I sent the archive request back in August, so I'll just keep an eye on my inbox. Cheers!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Also make sure any e-mails aren't going into your spam folder. Had that happen on a secondary account and I didn't catch it for weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.
I've been staying within a couple of weeks of my queue these days, so that's not it. I only pay attention to requests from authors though, because I want to make sure they're OK with their thread being posted and so that I know if there are any edits/layout tweaks/whatever then it's gotten the greenlight from them. I think everyone knows about the archive so if the author hasn't requested it then that's a sign that maybe they don't want their thread up.