Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Yeah I'm definitely doing a turchetta next week since I'm not doing a whole turkey for one person. I'm doubt I'm going to bother with sous vide carrots although those were pretty good. Current plan is turchetta + cranberry sauce, stuffing rolls, and either green bean casserole or the sauteed green beans + cipollinis (if I can find them). That will probably be dinner for the next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Did some beef short ribs for 48h at 135. Much prefer this to the 72 beef jello recipe. Still not really worth it IMO. if you could get 'em for like $2/lb it would be cool.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Not that I did, or would ever, pay this much - but what the christ?

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

theres a will theres moe posted:

Not that I did, or would ever, pay this much - but what the christ?

If I had to pay that much for that little meat I'd just go to a high-end steak house :wtc: . Actually is that saying 4x7 oz (so just under 2 lb) or is it saying the total is 7 oz?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

kirtar posted:

If I had to pay that much for that little meat I'd just go to a high-end steak house :wtc: . Actually is that saying 4x7 oz (so just under 2 lb) or is it saying the total is 7 oz?

I am pretty sure it's 4x7oz

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I finally got around to drilling a hole in my cambro lid, no doubt doing it completely wrong because i dove into it with no instruction. It actually looks pretty good; the rough edges are all covered by the protruding lip of the vizzler. Definitely much better than awkwardly draping plastic wrap over it every time, wish I'd done it sooner.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Recipes for tri-tip are all over the place.
Cook times and aromatic techniques vary wildly.

I have a 3lb tri-tip I wanted to hit some nice garlic and ginger flavors with. Plan on finishing in cast iron since I don't have a torch.

Any advice?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Code for $99 Anova (Bluetooth only)

anova2-7e3742dd

If you use it please post so other people don't get bummed when it doesn't work.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
Here's another one:

anova2-t3ttads7

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Norns posted:

I have a 3lb tri-tip I wanted to hit some nice garlic and ginger flavors with. Plan on finishing in cast iron since I don't have a torch.

Any advice?

5-6 hours at 133 (or whatever you prefer; I actually usually do 138 because everyone else I know doesn't like 133). Lots of people say you shouldn't sous vide garlic, but I've literally never had an issue with it. With tri-tip I actually poke holes in it with a paring knife and insert slivers of garlic into the meat, but I may be a little weird.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Choadmaster posted:

5-6 hours at 133 (or whatever you prefer; I actually usually do 138 because everyone else I know doesn't like 133). Lots of people say you shouldn't sous vide garlic, but I've literally never had an issue with it. With tri-tip I actually poke holes in it with a paring knife and insert slivers of garlic into the meat, but I may be a little weird.

When it comes to garlic I think the low temp of sous vide accelerates the enzymatic activity that causes it to become more garlicky. I did it once with uncooked garlic and the meat came out quite pungent.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Choadmaster posted:

Nope that sounds great. My wife and I can't get enough garlic.

How's the texture at 5 hours @ 133? We both love rare steak so the lower temp sounds more appealing.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

qutius posted:

Here's another one:

anova2-t3ttads7

Used this one. Grabbed one for an Christmas gift for a friend. Appreciate it

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Norns posted:

How's the texture at 5 hours @ 133? We both love rare steak so the lower temp sounds more appealing.

It's tender but it's nowhere near mushy or falling apart like a really long / higher temp cook would do.

Two more Anova coupon codes:

anova2-d69d3b95
anova2-859a737c

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Did some beef short ribs for 48h at 135. Much prefer this to the 72 beef jello recipe. Still not really worth it IMO. if you could get 'em for like $2/lb it would be cool.

Why is it not worth it? Just the cost or does it not taste good for the length of time required?

I tweeted at Anova and got a $50 discount!

Just started my first cook, 2 chicken breasts at 150º for 70 minutes. I started from frozen.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

5436 posted:

Why is it not worth it? Just the cost or does it not taste good for the length of time required?

I tweeted at Anova and got a $50 discount!

Just started my first cook, 2 chicken breasts at 150º for 70 minutes. I started from frozen.

I think I'm just not a fan of the cut. You can make it pretty melty but the best you're ever going to get out of it is a remarkably edible mouthful of fat.

E: congrats on your new kitchen tool. Hope you enjoy that chicken. 170 is quite a bit hotter than I've ever done chicken breasts sous vide but I would expect it would produce something with similar texture to a traditionally cooked CB

Vvv I'm not sure I've ever had it at a restaurant.

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Nov 17, 2016

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

I think I'm just not a fan of the cut. You can make it pretty melty but the best you're ever going to get out of it is a remarkably edible mouthful of fat.

Do you like it at restaurants?

Has anyone thought of doing this sous vide?

http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/12197-momofukus-bo-ssam

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

5436 posted:

People definitely do pork shoulder sous vide. Kenji's got the BBQ version with liquid smoke, etc. http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/07/food-lab-complete-guide-smoky-sous-vide-pork-shoulder.html

Time & temp should be pretty much the same for a bo ssam sort of preparation.. Just different spices.

Soup in a Bag
Dec 4, 2009
2 more codes for the $99 bluetooth Anova, valid through 11/19.

anova2-bdst3c33

anova2-cfc4662s

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

E: congrats on your new kitchen tool. Hope you enjoy that chicken. 170 is quite a bit hotter than I've ever done chicken breasts sous vide but I would expect it would produce something with similar texture to a traditionally cooked CB

Vvv I'm not sure I've ever had it at a restaurant.

You misread the temp.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

5436 posted:

You misread the temp.

D'whoops. So what did you think?

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

D'whoops. So what did you think?

It was good, not mindblowing. I preferred the ease and simplicity though. Instead of doing it in the oven and having to flip it, and check with a thermometer towards the end to make sure it didn't over cook I just let it sit in the water bath. I finished it with a pan sear which was hard to do since I used frozen breasts that were packaged (Costco) and they had a weird shape. They kept that shape through the cook. I might flatten them a bit next time.

I want to try it with salmon, steaks, ribs, and pork butt though.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
According to the Anova twitter they're gonna put out a code that's the same as the one being posted itt for Black Friday, for everyone to use.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Have you tried short ribs done at 160 degrees or higher? I don't agree with this obsession with sous viding everything medium-rare just because you can. Med-rare short ribs are not pleasant IMO. Med-rare brisket feels like prime rib rather than brisket. Some things just need higher-temp cooking to get the right texture and/or fat rendering.

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Nov 17, 2016

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Choadmaster posted:

Have you tried short ribs done at 160 degrees or higher? I don't agree with this obsession with sous viding everything medium-rare just because you can. Med-rare short ribs are not pleasant IMO. Med-rare brisket feels like prime rib rather than brisket. Some things just need higher-temp cooking to get the right texture and/or fat rendering.

No. If I ever try again, I'll take this recommendation. Thanks!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Choadmaster posted:

Everyone should really try out several different temperatures for foods and enjoy the different textures because that's part of the magic made possible by sous vide

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Everyone should really try out several different temperatures for foods and enjoy the different textures because that's part of the magic made possible by sous vide

Absolutely. After only doing sous vide for years, I had some great bleu tenderloin yesterday. Room temp steaks, crushed peppercorns and flake salt on each side, sear in butter for 1 minute each side, leave the inside raw. Served with horseradish cream and baked root vegetables. I like what sous vide does to trickier cuts, but I'll probably never do tenderloin sous vide. Having a wide repertoire and applying the right tool for the job is what matters.

hedgegnome
May 20, 2008
Im going to be doing a turchetta for t-day next week. Im wondering how i should finish it, though. It looks like I could deep fry it, pan sear it, or use my searsall torch. Id prefer using the torch, but would deep frying provide a real benefit thats worth the effort/mess over the torch? Plus, i just got the torch and its awesome and i want to use it on everything all the time :D

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

hedgegnome posted:

Im going to be doing a turchetta for t-day next week. Im wondering how i should finish it, though. It looks like I could deep fry it, pan sear it, or use my searsall torch. Id prefer using the torch, but would deep frying provide a real benefit thats worth the effort/mess over the torch? Plus, i just got the torch and its awesome and i want to use it on everything all the time :D

If you have the ability, deep fry it.

I made a loving mess doing it last year, but now i have a propane burner outside and a wok.

That 100% golden crispy shell is delicious AF.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
Does it matter if I let the bath get to the desired temp before placing the meat in? I have some frozen sausages and I just put them in at 131 but my desired temp is 150. I wouldn't do this with some nice steaks/fish but I figured since it was frozen sausages it'd be fine.

Question 2: I've been using ziplock bags and just submerging them until the air comes out. What are the pro/cons versus vac-sealing? I have a foodsaver but its a lot more effort.

5436 fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 19, 2016

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of :jeb:!

Norns posted:

Any advice?

I do ~12 hours at 131 fairly often. Finished in cast iron and torched. Comes out great, I didn't much care for the texture of higher temps and longer times. Usually pealed primes from Costco. Just watch for the grain change when you are carving it if you don't cook tri tip very often.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
The sausages turned out amazing. They were the juiciest sausages I've ever made. I took them from frozen to done in 70 minutes at 151.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

My old Anova just died (temp sensor corroded), but I don't feel too bad about it. 200 bucks for three and a half years isn't bad.

If I'm looking at a new one, do they still just make one with simple manual controls? I'd prefer not to have to muck about with an app if I can avoid it.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

a foolish pianist posted:

My old Anova just died (temp sensor corroded), but I don't feel too bad about it. 200 bucks for three and a half years isn't bad.

If I'm looking at a new one, do they still just make one with simple manual controls? I'd prefer not to have to muck about with an app if I can avoid it.

The wifi one works just manual and normal. I always just set it on the anova and leave it.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

5436 posted:

Bossam is great sous vide. For Korean new year we did like 160 overnight and it was the perfect traditional sliceable texture instead of dchang's pulled pork texture.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

They're on major sale right now, I'd pick up one. They have manual controls but the app is lightweight and simple.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Depending on how it died, you could always try to email them mine died at like 1.5 years, just randomly stopped heating and they sent me a new wifi for free once I sent the old one back, on the other hand right now they are on sale for $100 (bluetooth) but like 5436 said, they all have manual controls and you don't really need to use the app.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I was an idiot and left it in water for a long time (like two weeks, and it was already 3.5 years old) after a cook. Just forgot about it. I'd feel bad asking for a replacement, honestly.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Veritek83 posted:

I actually did the turchetta for dinner tonight. Started yesterday afternoon and let it sit, bagged the fridge overnight before putting it in the bath this afternoon.

Really, really tasty. Messy and a good bit of work, but worth definitely doing as a project or special occasion meal. Having done it once, I think the whole skin removal and rolling will be easier next time.

I put one together today, and right as i tied the last knot, I realized I forgot to add salt. So yes, I can tell you right now it's definitely easier to roll it the second time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I was an idiot and left it in water for a long time (like two weeks, and it was already 3.5 years old) after a cook. Just forgot about it. I'd feel bad asking for a replacement, honestly.

I leave mine in the water basically constantly... :confused:

Maybe yours just has mineral buildup? Dump a bunch of vinegar into your water and then run it for a while.

The newer Anovas are fine but the lack of an on/off switch on the unit is lame.