Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

clam ache posted:

You are 100% correct. BUt that was almost 8 years ago and have wised up a bunch since then.

In tool news my new scanner should be here tomorrow. Cant wait to try it out on some cars in the shop. Never thought i would say this but Thanks viggen.

What kind of obdII scanner did you get?

Stupid scanner question, but for home use, is there any substantial difference between a more expensive pro tier dedicated unit and a Bluetooth reader/Torque?

I mainly ask because I'm trying to diagnose some coil pack issues, and my Bluetooth reader gives me a generic error code instead of being more specific with which cylinder in particular is acting up, and I didn't know if that was a limitation of Bluetooth readers or if better scanners would (generally speaking) give more granular detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

OSU_Matthew posted:

What kind of obdII scanner did you get?

Stupid scanner question, but for home use, is there any substantial difference between a more expensive pro tier dedicated unit and a Bluetooth reader/Torque?

I mainly ask because I'm trying to diagnose some coil pack issues, and my Bluetooth reader gives me a generic error code instead of being more specific with which cylinder in particular is acting up, and I didn't know if that was a limitation of Bluetooth readers or if better scanners would (generally speaking) give more granular detail.

If the ECU doesn't know which cylinder is misfiring, you won't get any more information out of a better scanner.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
I ended up buying the 3/8" drive version of that Milwaukee 18 volt angle impact thing. It is a bit bulky, especially with a 5.0Ah battery (the size I already had), but it proved useful almost immediately:

(Replacing driveshaft carrier bearing on a Nissan D21 4WD)

As expected I had to break the bolts with a ratchet, but there was very little wiggle room and that thing got them out easily enough. Not a lot of torque (not sure it even reaches the stated number of 76Nm), but enough to move bolts/nuts in and out of awkward spots. If this keeps looking useful, I'll get a set of 3/8" deep sockets and maybe a slimmer 2.0Ah battery.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
For anyone with a horror freight flex head ratchet this video is hilarious and useful.
https://youtu.be/duxypQ66WcQ

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

clam ache posted:

For anyone with a horror freight flex head ratchet this video is hilarious and useful.
https://youtu.be/duxypQ66WcQ

That's pretty funny

MrDeSaussure
Jul 20, 2008
Yeah, but if you want it to last for more than a few uses after you fix it, buy these, and throw one or two in, depending on how floppy the ratchet gets. I did this fix over a year ago, and it's still pefect.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#98055a095/=14xbqa6

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

MrDeSaussure posted:

Yeah, but if you want it to last for more than a few uses after you fix it, buy these, and throw one or two in, depending on how floppy the ratchet gets. I did this fix over a year ago, and it's still pefect.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#98055a095/=14xbqa6

Well needed a reason to go to mcmaster anyways. I usually just make a ghetto shim out of sheet metal at work. I liked the video and figured someone else would.

MrDeSaussure
Jul 20, 2008
Video was great, and I subbed to his channel after I watched it. But after returning two of those ratchets after failing to fix them with a few other hacks like this and being a cheapass, and not being able to stomach Snap-On's pricing for flex head ratchets, those shims were the only thing that has worked reliably for the long term.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

MrDeSaussure posted:

Video was great, and I subbed to his channel after I watched it. But after returning two of those ratchets after failing to fix them with a few other hacks like this and being a cheapass, and not being able to stomach Snap-On's pricing for flex head ratchets, those shims were the only thing that has worked reliably for the long term.

I feel you completely. I just went for snap on as well so I have a few ratchets I can give the beans if needed. The 12" flex head 1/4 is literally worth all 100$$ . it gets brake bleeder screws and let's me go ham on them and it just takes it.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
Am I the only person that would rather try to get creative with a universal joint than use a flex head ratchet? I've broken a couple flex head ratchets, but my wobble joints keep on kicking, even after impact wrench abuse.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
How bad of an idea are these?

https://www.amazon.com/Alltrade-940759-Powerbuilt-Digital-Adaptor/dp/B0031QPJZG/ref=cm_rdp_product

Anyone have one that they would recommend?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Anyone have a preferred brand for impact hex/allen drivers?

Trying to replace the friction ring on my aluminum flywheel and the 1/8" head allen screws holding it in don't want to budge. Started twisting a traditional 90* wrench and snapped off my father-in-law's hex driver sticking out of a chrome socket style allen socket.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Geoj posted:

Anyone have a preferred brand for impact hex/allen drivers?

Trying to replace the friction ring on my aluminum flywheel and the 1/8" head allen screws holding it in don't want to budge. Started twisting a traditional 90* wrench and snapped off my father-in-law's hex driver sticking out of a chrome socket style allen socket.

I would go with the HF impact driver, and the associated bit for it.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

StormDrain posted:

I would go with the HF impact driver, and the associated bit for it.

This is a good option. My only problems with the HF impact driver are the bits are poo poo. Get better bits and its still a great driver. Like the bits harbor frieght sells that attach to the 1/2 drive are good for it. They use good steel for the torx/hex sockets but the bits they include with the driver suck monkey turds.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Thought about it, but the HF set doesn't have a 1/8th inch driver.

Ended up ordering a single socket from Amazon, I'll find out if it works on Tuesday.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
http://toolguyd.com/milwaukee-m12-drill-or-impact-combo-kit-deals-112016/

Seems like Home Depot has some solid deals on M12 stuff, today only.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Crossposting from the DIY tools thread...

I went back to HD today and was looking at the Makita kit again. It was $379 last night, $299 today. Woman came up and offered me extra $50 off if I fill out a credit app, $249, "Tempting but I don't neeed it," I said and started walking away. Some guy says, I'll give you an extra $100 off. I stopped cold in my tracks. When it was said and done, I got an extra $125 off.

Subtotal : $191.34

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Score.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Nice haul!

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I had essentially the same kit- just no light. They are awesome, I wish the saw had a bit more kick- but it works fine for my uses. I managed to snag a Brushless Impact/Hammer drill with 2x 4.0AH batteries for $199 at a dealer/vendor meet and greet. They punch a huge kick for the weight.

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

click clack POW, officer down

wormil posted:

I went back to HD today and was looking at the Makita kit again. It was $379 last night, $299 today. Woman came up and offered me extra $50 off if I fill out a credit app, $249, "Tempting but I don't neeed it," I said and started walking away. Some guy says, I'll give you an extra $100 off. I stopped cold in my tracks. When it was said and done, I got an extra $125 off.

Haha, wow! That, kids, is how you get into a power tool system! Just out of curiosity, how many batteries?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I thought the light was the dumbest thing but here I am with both the light and the lantern. drat you open box specials.

Though the flashlight has the 18V broken out into an RJ45 to power my radio provisioning rig. Ryobi flashlight plus AirGateway Installer equals easy WISP work!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

TACTICAL SANDALS posted:

Haha, wow! That, kids, is how you get into a power tool system! Just out of curiosity, how many batteries?

2 batteries, only 3aH but I'm a home gamer so no problemo. So far I've only used the drill, it's lighter, smaller, and quieter than my 18v PC; and the torque doohickey actually works.

I have no idea why the Manager was so anxious to sell them off but I overheard him tell an employee he wanted them gone. They also had a Milwaukee 3 piece set for the same price but the Makita is a better deal for me, I can use the saws.

I used to use the flashlight in my PC set all the time when I had 3 batteries but when I got down to 1 battery, it became too much hassle switching them out.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I'm super positively surprised about how much juice is in the 4Ah batteries. Unless you're continuously, say, driving in screws or something I don't see the batteries being the bottleneck ever.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

wormil posted:

I have no idea why the Manager was so anxious to sell them off but I overheard him tell an employee he wanted them gone.

Haunted tools. Sorry bro.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

bolind posted:

I'm super positively surprised about how much juice is in the 4Ah batteries. Unless you're continuously, say, driving in screws or something I don't see the batteries being the bottleneck ever.

Spent literally all day driving in screws on a wooden deck with an 18V 5.0Ah battery last year. Showed about half full afterwards.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

wormil posted:

drat, nice score! The batteries alone sell for that!

That's a great piece of kit, almost exactly what I started with. I've never had any issues with the 3 amp hour batteries over the last two years, and since then I've added the shop work light, oscillating multi tool, brushless string trimmer, and the adjustable impact wrench. I honestly think the 3 amp hour is plenty, it's a great trade-off between size and capacity, though a five would be nice for the grinder.

I bet the manager wanted to move it to make space for holiday deals and maybe a newer version of the kit, probably with larger batteries.

If you're looking for another deal, amazon prime is supposed to have the generic version of the five amp hour batteries on their black friday sale here today or tomorrow.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

OSU_Matthew posted:

the generic version of the five amp hour batteries

I was looking around for 18V Milwaukee batteries, and there too I found some "clones". Does anyone have experience with generic batteries? Are they useful and anywhere near their capacity rating?
I'm assuming the quality of generic batteries is about the same regardless of which brand they try to fit.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

wormil posted:

:trumppop:

You should have bought 4

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Someone else went down after me with a copy of my receipt and tried to get the same deal and they wouldn't do it. He said the manager told him he had no idea why I got it for that price. It worked out well for me. I sold a lathe and with the money got this deal and with a 25% off CPO/eBay coupon I also snagged a Hitachi miter saw.

I don't like buying up all of something on sale. Let another guy have a shot. The exception are consumables, I'll buy those up.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Don't buy generic batteries they are loving horrible. Buy legit Batts and run them into the ground before their warranty goes out.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

JIS screwdriver score from Princess Auto! I took one look and promptly put them all in my cart.

2 Super Cushion, one Dual Tone and one Crystal.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Now that's a SCORE. I'm jealous.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
There must be a better way to do grease fittings. My TJ has 34 of the cocksuckers and I'm tired of loving with this hand-pumped grease gun. Goon suggestions?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Costco has a gnarly set of drivers on sale right now.

$15 if you've got the holiday coupon:
http://www.costco.com/Titan-26-Piec...1&storeId=10301

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Goons i need some advice. I have a Cornwell test light that is great, older than me, and works every time. The only problem with it is the clamp isn't tight after years of abuse. I also have a Matco test light but the P.O.S burns the bulb/fuse when i let it sit for too long. Ive tried the horror freight lights and they keep breaking where the wire is soldered to the little metal cap. Does anyone else on here use a test light often and has one they could recommend? I just wanna replace the Cornwell with a newer light that wont eat fusebulbs.

clam ache fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Nov 17, 2016

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Costco has a gnarly set of drivers on sale right now.

$15 if you've got the holiday coupon:
http://www.costco.com/Titan-26-Piec...1&storeId=10301

Titan tools started as a dropshipper who started having the chinese poo poo factories stamp their name on stuff.

You can often find identical poo poo on alibaba with other company names on it, or, if you order enough, your own name on it!

http://wholesaler.alibaba.com/product-detail/2016-new-best-quality-TPR-handle_60538542091.html

It seems they got even lazier with this set, and the screwdrivers don't even say titan on them, it's just a sticker on the rack.

sometimes they're passible, more often than not the metal is half cheese, and the screwdriver is weaker than the screw.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
What do you guys think of the telescoping magnets with flexible ends? Gimmicky crap that's more annoying than useful or invaluable? I've only used the straight kind or the ones with a hinged head, usually cheap ones.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

wormil posted:

What do you guys think of the telescoping magnets with flexible ends? Gimmicky crap that's more annoying than useful or invaluable? I've only used the straight kind or the ones with a hinged head, usually cheap ones.

The only problem i've had with them is you drop your 10mm socket down into a deep pit down inside the vehicle, stick your magnet down in there, and come back out with a 9/16"s.

If they could cut the magic wand poo poo out with them, they'd be incredibly valuable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I use long forceps and swearing.

I love my LXT poo poo, though I'm still nonplussed that I had two batteries die on me last year with very little use. Problem is they do not hold up to long-term inactivity, cycle them through your charger every once in awhile. I let those two batteries sit for over a year unused after barely using them and that's what I assume killed them. Once the circuit board thinks a cell is no good (re: too depleted) the pack is bricked.