Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
How is Kurosawa's Dreams? I have really on seen his samurai related films, but the new release has great reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I haven't watched it yet (mine hasn't been delivered) but watch High and Low, it's in my top 10 of all time.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

GonSmithe posted:

I haven't watched it yet (mine hasn't been delivered) but watch High and Low, it's in my top 10 of all time.

High and Low is great. Toshiro Mifune disappears from the movie for about an hour as the movie shifts to the investigation, and I barely even noticed. That takes a lot of skill.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Before Trilogy pre-order is currently 39.95 on Amazon US. 29.95 for the DVD.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Escobarbarian posted:

Not going to lie, I've been hoping this would happen since the Lone Wolf and Cub screwup.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Coaaab posted:

Dekalog Six & A Short Film About Love have different endings. Don't know enough about A Short Film About Killing to tell you if its merely an extension of Dekalog Five.
Kind of sounds like I should just stick with the regular series.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
So you're all gonna want to preorder The Before Trilogy BD asap - $39.99 at Amazon, similarly to what happened with The Lone Wolf and Cub set (and that seemed to have a happy ending for everyone) - http://amzn.to/2ghbIro

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I don't know a whole lot about Lone Wolf and Cub. Is there anything that might be comparable to it? I know its based on a manga series, is it only for people who are into manga and anime or would it have a wider appeal? I love stuff like Lady Snowblood and the Samurai Trilogy(Inagaki's), just for reference.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

Done and done - thanks for the heads up! Even with the shipping cost to Canada and the exchange rate, it was worth it - plus to get in advance rather than waiting for the B&N sale next July.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

I don't know a whole lot about Lone Wolf and Cub. Is there anything that might be comparable to it? I know its based on a manga series, is it only for people who are into manga and anime or would it have a wider appeal? I love stuff like Lady Snowblood and the Samurai Trilogy(Inagaki's), just for reference.

You'll love Lone Wolf and Cub. The manga influenced Frank Miller's Wolverine a ton. But otherwise, you don't gotta read the manga to get it.

The basic story is it follows a samurai assassin and his infant son as they kill a whole lot of people in their quest for revenge. Even the infant gets a kill in the second movie. He's carried in a James Bond car style baby cart, loaded with weapons and tricks.

Get the box set while it's cheap!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Basebf555 posted:

Lady Snowblood and Lone Wolf & Cub are both based on manga written by Kazuo Koike. LW&C is fun, you'll like it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I think I'll stop by B&N today and pick it up, thanks for the nudge!

Seems like a pretty great value for the money, even at full price. Even more so during this sale.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Before Trilogy's price has been fixed...I slept on it for 4 hours and missed it again :(

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I, Butthole posted:

Before Trilogy's price has been fixed...I slept on it for 4 hours and missed it again :(

Holy poo poo it's $100?! Sure glad I jumped on it during the price mistake.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I hope Criterion keeps making box sets, so that Amazon can continue to mess up their prices.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Agreed, I'm gonna have so many drat box sets.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

if they do it one more time i'm going to assume its intentional on their part

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

How many times has it happened?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Twice.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

checkplease posted:

How is Kurosawa's Dreams? I have really on seen his samurai related films, but the new release has great reviews.

It's ok. I love Kurosawa but I have no real desire to buy it or watch it any time soon.

Nthing High and Low as amazing.

The commentaries for all his films are what got me into Criterions in the first place.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

High and Low is great but I think the second half is a little less interesting than the first.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

checkplease posted:

I love Dreams, it's one of my favorite films. It's a bunch of vignettes so don't expect a big story, but the visuals are gorgeous and each story is really interesting. The Van Gogh vignette is really memorable and beautiful:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OTj5Qv153U

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Nov 17, 2016

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Anyone else see this in the newsletter? Cover art for the Before Trilogy - though it's not final:

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Raxivace posted:

High and Low is great but I think the second half is a little less interesting than the first.

:agreed:, however the final scene and shot are amazing

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

friendo55 posted:

Anyone else see this in the newsletter? Cover art for the Before Trilogy - though it's not final:

Eh, I kinda hope that's not the final art. It's not horrible, but they could do a lot better.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

The Before Trilogy: Kissy Kissy / Titty Titty / Pooosseeyyyyy

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Hector Beerlioz posted:

:agreed:, however the final scene and shot are amazing
Oh for sure, the actual ending is amazing and really brings things together.

I think the idea is supposed to be that while the first half focuses on Kingo Gondo's character and what his dilemma is, the second half is supposed to be using the police exploration also as a method of discovering about the villain and what his motivation is. The issue for me is that the villain just isn't as interesting of the character and just feels less fleshed out in general- once Gondo's story is put on pause for a while, it's not replaced with anything quite as thematically substantial. I almost think Kurosawa should have just pulled a Study in Scarlet and just made the entire second half from the villain's POV. Or more from his POV anyways as the police are investigating him, as opposed to making them the focal characters.

I appreciate the sense of contrast the film is going for- it's in the title, the Rope-ish closed off nature of the film's first half vs. the open nature of the second half, the ending etc. What Gondo is being contrasted against just isn't quite as developed IMO. It brings things down to "merely" a 9.5/10 realm for me.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Raxivace posted:

I appreciate the sense of contrast the film is going for- it's in the title, the Rope-ish closed off nature of the film's first half vs. the open nature of the second half, the ending etc.

I wish they'd kept the title of Heaven and Hell. High and Low just feels neutered.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I love High and Low so much I'm gonna name my kid Kingo Gondo after Mifune's character.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Zogo posted:

I wish they'd kept the title of Heaven and Hell. High and Low just feels neutered.
I dunno how it comes off in Japanese, but in English I think Heaven and Hell sounds like a little much.

I know some other Kurosawa films have slightly different titles in Japanese compared to English. The Hidden Fortress is called something like "Three Villains of The Hidden Fortress" in Japanese, and I'm still not quite sure what that is meant to imply.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Raxivace posted:

I dunno how it comes off in Japanese, but in English I think Heaven and Hell sounds like a little much.

I know some other Kurosawa films have slightly different titles in Japanese compared to English. The Hidden Fortress is called something like "Three Villains of The Hidden Fortress" in Japanese, and I'm still not quite sure what that is meant to imply.

I don't think it's too far off as the film obviously doesn't meet the most explicit definitions of hell but uses the word Jigoku which does refer directly to hell in other films of the era (ignoring the differences between broad eastern/western religion afterlife concepts):

Jigokumon AKA Gate of Hell (1953)
Jigoku AKA Hell (1960)
Tengoku to Jigoku AKA Heaven and Hell (1963)

Now imagine if a film was called "Low" or "Gate of Low" or "Drag me to Low."

I think the three villains refer to the two peasants (droids) and the general but I'm not 100% sure.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
FYI, Kurosawa was a Lakers fan:

Hector Beerlioz fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Nov 19, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Zogo posted:

Now imagine if a film was called "Low" or "Gate of Low" or "Drag me to Low."
Or you could do "Drag Me to Lowe's", and start a whole slew of horror films about retail companies. :P

quote:

I think the three villains refer to the two peasants (droids) and the general but I'm not 100% sure.
That was my first thought too as it seems to be the only trio the title could even refer to, but the general has never really struck me as villainous in any way.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Raxivace posted:

Or you could do "Drag Me to Lowe's", and start a whole slew of horror films about retail companies. :P
That was my first thought too as it seems to be the only trio the title could even refer to, but the general has never really struck me as villainous in any way.

Yea, it'd have to be from the perspective of the Yamana clan for them to be called the villains.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Got unexpectedly paid out on my unused sick and vacation time at my old job, so...

Opted for a bunch of blind-buys I've been wanting to see:

Dreams
The Double Life of Veronique
In a Lonely Place
Godzilla
Mulholland Dr.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Nov 19, 2016

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
What are some of the more analytical commentaries out there? I really enjoyed the one for Godzilla and Yojimbo as they both provide history and analysis of the films. I started listening to Brazil's, and while its interesting, its more of just Terry talking about the production and ideas for the movie it seems.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

checkplease posted:

What are some of the more analytical commentaries out there? I really enjoyed the one for Godzilla and Yojimbo as they both provide history and analysis of the films. I started listening to Brazil's, and while its interesting, its more of just Terry talking about the production and ideas for the movie it seems.

Beyond the Vally of the Doll as its Roger Ebert

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

checkplease posted:

High and Low with commentary by the same guy as from Yojimbo
L'Avventura does a really great close reading of the film. Highly recommended.
Double life of Veronique is analytical.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

checkplease posted:

Straw Dogs has the best scholarly commentary I've ever heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Straw Dogs has the best scholarly commentary I've ever heard

Stephen Prince really is fantastic