Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Forewarning that all mpv configuration is done by runtime parameters or manually editing config files, but yeah I prefer it to Potplayer/MPC-HC/VLC/etc.

I recorded that with ShareX, but I just checked and gooncam still works fine for me. I know a friend of mine who's on Win10 complained about it not working anymore, so I'm guessing you're also on Win10 and that's the problem.

ShareX should work fine on any modern version of Windows and it's my recommendation for general quick and easy video/screenshot capture / upload (though it does other stuff too). If you want something more robust, the "industry standard" insofar as there is one for this kind of thing, is OBS. Though I'm pretty sure OBS won't encode to VP8/Vorbis webm or gif, so you'll need to transcode with ffmpeg or something if you want to get that.

Read fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Oct 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
This has been happening for a while now, but twitter videos won't play at all in firefox. Everything else plays, youtube, mp4's, embedded webms, etc, but not twitter videos. Disabling noscript and adblock doesn't fix it. Anyone know a fix for it?

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I hadn't thought of the minvid feature at all until I saw the add-on. Well, I guess if I feel like I want it back I'll know how to do it.

Makes sense to keep video playback out of the browser as much as possible anyway.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Captain Invictus posted:

This has been happening for a while now, but twitter videos won't play at all in firefox. Everything else plays, youtube, mp4's, embedded webms, etc, but not twitter videos. Disabling noscript and adblock doesn't fix it. Anyone know a fix for it?

I use tweetdeck, and everything works.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

mike12345 posted:

I use tweetdeck, and everything works.

Yeah but like, whenever someone embeds a media-containing tweet on here or links to one, it never works. Can you just drop a twitter link into tweetdeck and have it work, or what?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Do you have firefox tracking protection enabled?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah but like, whenever someone embeds a media-containing tweet on here or links to one, it never works. Can you just drop a twitter link into tweetdeck and have it work, or what?

No, what I'm saying is that the problem is not default Firefox, it's probably something like an add-on or changed prefs (what Flipperwaldt said) on your end. I checked twitter.com and played some vids, works the same.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Captain Invictus posted:

What OS and version are you on?

If it's Win7, you may need a media pack installed to allow Firefox to actually play many video types.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=16546

If you're on Windows 10, try a fresh Firefox profile first.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

wooger posted:

What OS and version are you on?
I actually had not updated in a while. Like, it was version 38.5 or something when I went to check to answer your question. At some point auto-updating got disabled and I didn't notice, whoops! Re-enabled that and everything works fine now. Don't know why auto-update disabled though, since I never chose to disable it.

They also removed tab groups at some point which is annoying, but at least they provide a link to an add-on that fills that job just as well.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Somewhere along the way, my Firefox (49.0.2) seems to have forgotten what cleartype, hardware acceleration and smooth scrolling are. The options are all set to "on" however Firefox is rendering type really awfully and is jumpily scrolling.

I'm running the latest Nvidia drivers, are Mozilla and Nividia having a spat?

EDIT: I restarted Firefox in its safe-mode, and fonts are still ugly, so its not a plugin conflict.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 5, 2016

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Snuffman posted:

Somewhere along the way, my Firefox (49.0.2) seems to have forgotten what cleartype, hardware acceleration and smooth scrolling are. The options are all set to "on" however Firefox is rendering type really awfully and is jumpily scrolling.

I'm running the latest Nvidia drivers, are Mozilla and Nividia having a spat?

EDIT: I restarted Firefox in its safe-mode, and fonts are still ugly, so its not a plugin conflict.

Try it with an entirely new profile - not just a refreshed one or one used in Safe Mode.

Also, Web of Trust has got into some hot water:
Mozilla and Google remove WOT extension from Store
http://www.ghacks.net/2016/11/05/mozilla-and-google-remove-wot-extension/

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 6, 2016

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Also, Web of Trust has got into some hot water:
Mozilla and Google remove WOT extension from Store
http://www.ghacks.net/2016/11/05/mozilla-and-google-remove-wot-extension/

Was just checking to see if they'd gotten multiprocess compatible.

Are there any comparable services that don't retain / market user data?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Your brain.

Just use uBlock and uMatrix and you'll be safe enough. There, now you don't need to rely on some reddit type circlejerking upvote/downvote addon to use the internet.

If a site is truly malicious Google/Firefox will block it with a giant red warning anyway.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Just a heads up, that Test Pilot extension Page Shot now allows you to select a container (like a quote box in a forum) as well as having a new button to save the entire page. Hells yes. This extension is super useful to me now.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Some malware site opened a popup that had the menu disabled. I wanted to report the site as deceptive, but as far as I can tell, there is no way of doing that because the menu was disabled :downs:.

The address bar was enabled, so I just copied the address from there, opened a normal new window and pasted the address there, then used the report site feature in the menu. Yeah I know, I got a double dose of whatever malware they were serving.

I also tried the Ⓘ button on the left side of the address bar but as far as I can tell, there is no report feature there.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Wheany posted:

Some malware site opened a popup that had the menu disabled. I wanted to report the site as deceptive, but as far as I can tell, there is no way of doing that because the menu was disabled :downs:.

The address bar was enabled, so I just copied the address from there, opened a normal new window and pasted the address there, then used the report site feature in the menu. Yeah I know, I got a double dose of whatever malware they were serving.

I also tried the Ⓘ button on the left side of the address bar but as far as I can tell, there is no report feature there.

You don't have to do that stuff through a menu.

https://safebrowsing.google.com/safebrowsing/report_badware/?hl=en
https://safebrowsing.google.com/safebrowsing/report_phish/?hl=en

e: Alternatively you can access the menu item from a normal window, then paste in the url of the bad site.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Any way to stop Firefox from bugging me about updating??

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

PirateBob posted:

Yes, stop using firefox.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Alternately, update.

(There are things you can do to stop the check but I'm not about to give people advice on how they can get themselves added to a botnet.)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

PirateBob posted:

Change to an ESR version of Firefox.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

fishmech posted:

Change to an ESR version of Firefox.

Thanks.

Avenging Dentist posted:

Alternately, update.

(There are things you can do to stop the check but I'm not about to give people advice on how they can get themselves added to a botnet.)

Any way to get rid of the automatic disabling of "incompatible" addons? Adding extensions.checkCompatibility.xx.0 to about :config didn't work anymore.

edit: or unsigned/unverified extensions, whatever the problem is

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Nov 9, 2016

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Get add-ons that aren't abandonware. Unsigned add-ons are no longer accepted in current versions of Firefox. ESR will work for a bit but probably no longer than through the next ESR release's life-cycle, like old-timey plug-ins.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
You can get unbranded builds of Firefox, which let you run unsigned addons, but getting newer addons is a better idea in the long run.

You could probably also submit the addons for signing if you really wanted.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Im_Special posted:

There, now you don't need to rely on some reddit type circlejerking upvote/downvote addon to use the internet.

Well that explains why every Scientology website ever got a massive page warning from WOT.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
What the hell? I'm watching twitch and suddenly an ad starts playing - I have Ublock Origin.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

spit on my clit posted:

What the hell? I'm watching twitch and suddenly an ad starts playing - I have Ublock Origin.

Could be this:

https://blog.twitch.tv/introducing-surestream-for-a-better-video-ad-experience-on-twitch-3ca5ce3287c

astral
Apr 26, 2004

spit on my clit posted:

it's almost like the blocklists are a volunteer thing that can't/won't always and immediately block every new ad/type of ad ever

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Well I hope Ublock can cut that out soon

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Trying to eliminate Google from my life, is there no equivalent for ublock origin websockets in FF? Guessing that's the ad you're seeing but I just happened to be looking for that.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Pryor on Fire posted:

Trying to eliminate Google from my life, is there no equivalent for ublock origin websockets in FF? Guessing that's the ad you're seeing but I just happened to be looking for that.

The workaround for WebSocket ads is only necessary on Chrome. As far as I know, Firefox was able to block connections initiated via WebSockets since the very start.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

spit on my clit posted:

Well I hope Ublock can cut that out soon

My understanding is that it's basically unblockable, because they stream the ad right in the same video stream you were getting the streamer's content from.

It's possible I'm wildly wrong on this because I've basically only got third hand information on it.

biznatchio fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 17, 2016

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Is it just me or is Firefox 50 slow as poo poo? I've got uBlock Origin, Flagfox, Enhanced Steam, and Dashlane for extensions but it was fine in 49.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

my kinda ape posted:

Is it just me or is Firefox 50 slow as poo poo? I've got uBlock Origin, Flagfox, Enhanced Steam, and Dashlane for extensions but it was fine in 49.

I'm on 51 now, but I never noticed any problems when I was on 50. I have a lot of extensions running, but not the same ones as you so maybe it's one of those? I would test running in safe mode to see if that fixes it, and if it does then go through and rule out your extensions.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

my kinda ape posted:

I didn't notice anything strange in the few hours I've used it so far. You could go to about :performance and see if an addon is misbehaving, if you don't want to go through them all one by one.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Is anyone else having issues with the new version of Snaplinks? I've been using it for ages and it seems to have broken for me with the update yesterday, but I'm not seeing anyone else having any issues with it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Older versions work. You can use version 2.4.3 and it works fine.

From the SALR thread:

jaydee864 posted:

There was an update to Snap Links recently which disables any configuration settings and forces you to use the default. You can manually revert to 2.4.3 from the version list on the addon page: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/snaplinksplus/versions/

Also, make sure you disable automatic updates.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Gorilla Salad posted:

Older versions work. You can use version 2.4.3 and it works fine.

From the SALR thread:

Also, make sure you disable automatic updates.
Aha, thanks! Was going to roll back if nobody else was having the issue and it wasn't really fixable.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Well I'm never using twitch again. God even just reading that drivel is annoying. "we're building a more seamless ad experience".

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
It was always only a matter of time until someone figured out a way to work around adblocking for video, by integrating all content + advertising into a single stream. I thought Google would get to it first with Youtube, but I guess Amazon is just as likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

The Gunslinger posted:

Well I'm never using twitch again. God even just reading that drivel is annoying. "we're building a more seamless ad experience".
I have some bad news for you. You might want to sit down.

The vast majority of the entire internet, this site included, is built on a financial foundation of advertising.

Hargrimm posted:

It was always only a matter of time until someone figured out a way to work around adblocking for video, by integrating all content + advertising into a single stream. I thought Google would get to it first with Youtube, but I guess Amazon is just as likely.

YouTube is already pretty close to this on mobile. They serve the ad videos from the same domains as their content, so it's impossible to block them by normal means. You have to resort to third party clients, root/jailbreak tweaks (if possible), and all that stuff.